A blend of Virginian and flavoured with pure Turkish leaf. It embodies absolutely no black tobaccos and is a blend which is delightfully smooth and sweet down to the last shred.

BrandJames Fox
Taste

2.6
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

(Original review: 03/04/2003):

This is the second Fox I have tried, and just as with Provost, this one has instantly become a favourite of mine. If anything, this tobacco proves that Orientals need not be harsh or rasping to provide a very tasty, refined and subtle flavour, and when skilfully combined with the proper Virginias, produce something very close to an all day smoke.

Campanile (an Italian word meaning bell tower, the one in the bright red tin depicting that of Trinity College, Dublin) is an apparently simple mixture of mild Virginias and Oriental leaf, mainly Turkish, with no Latakia or dark Cavendish. The quality of the Virginian leaf used here is quite similar to the ones used in some Dunhill mixtures (especially in Standard Mixture Medium and London Mixture), which means that their sweetness is not sugary, but more natural and subtle. In turn, the Turkish provides a very tangy and slightly sour undertone which, combined with other condimental leaf, produce a mellow yet flavoursome smoke, similar to Early Morning or Skiff, without the Latakia.

However, as you indulge in the fresh tartness of this blend, the interplay between Orientals and Virginias gathers strength, and becomes a livelier tobacco than the other two. It burns cool and clean, and the natural taste of the leaf pleasantly lingers on for a while. IMO this an excellent tobacco to start the day with, especially if planning to carry on smoking stronger Orientals later on. It is great with a cup of black coffee, just after breakfast, and prepares the scenario, and the mood, for more adventurous English blends. As with Provost, my only objection to this blend is the high degree of moisture in the tin. But airing for a couple of days solves the problem.

UPADTE:

I regret to inform on the demise of the much beloved Campanile. Gone is the distinguished bright-red covered tin, and gone is that exquisite and delicate blend of Virginias and Orientals. What we are now being offered is a very bland and innocuous blend.

It is so similar to the current version of Early Morning Pipe, that I?d swear it is now being produced by Orlik. I recently ordered some from Martin MacGahey, in Exeter, G.B., thinking I would still find some last tins of the original Fox. When I wrote to him afterwards, he told me he thought Campanile is now being produced by Kohlhase and Kopp, in Germany.

It may be. But if so, this stuff has NOTHING to do with the previous version. It?s not that this blend is bad, but it simply isn?t Campanile.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This has the same scrumptiouso red Virginia ooomph of the delicious DORISCO, but instead of the zany Périque edge of that wonderful blend, this beauty is suffused in a cushiony cloud of glorious-smelling Orientals. This is what the word aromatic meant before it was usurped by the candy-smokers: the fabulous perfume of Turkish tobaccos.

As in any Balkanic blend, the beginning was a bit rough. The Virginia was a bit cutting, too. But it soon settled into a truly chimærical, smooth, marvelously and truly mild smoke, meaning that it was gently but exceptionally flavourful.

First-rate Virginia & Orientals mixes are rare, and rarely do they have the delicate power of this.

The room note and sidestream richness of this blend are wonderful. (If you love, as I do, the smell of Orientals...)

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)

Until about 15 years ago Campanile was one of my go-to blends. A remarkable and delicious concoction of turkish and virginia, it delivered every bowl and was tasty at any time of day or night. I have just opened a tin from the '90's and enjoyed a wave of nostalgia at the familiar whif of the sweetly sour leaf, the sourness of fermentation (!), an honest smell that is almost impossible to find these days. The mixed ribbon cut burned beautifully, relatively quickly yet cool and without bite, delectable from tin aroma to grey ash. This Campanile has gone the way of the many. If you are looking for something similar today, try Compton's Reserve No. 21. Although it has a smidgen of Latakia it is an excellent alternative and, even fresh out of the pouch, may be better than this well aged classic. The original Campanile: four stars (plus). The current version: two.

Age When Smoked: ca. 15 years, maybe more

Similar Blends: Compton's Reserve No. 21.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Campanile managed to secure a perception that I have been carrying around for years. This is that Latakia is over rated. Here is an English blend that is the best tasting English blend I have ever smoked and it has little to no Latakia, depending upon whom you ask. The combination of light Virginias and various sorts of Turkish make for a blend that tastes meaty and toasted and simply wonderful at any time of the day.

I get the impression that Latakia was once a mere component in the whole range of blending for the pipe, and only in recent years became a genre in itself. Why should it be the end all, be all of this style of blending when Campanile and other fine mixtures of old manage to do such amazing things without relying upon it?

One warning is that this much Turkish leaf can burn hot if one is not careful. I wanted to smoke one pipe of Campanile after another, but would find my tongue becoming a bit sensitive over time.

Regards,

A. Morley Jaques

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

White tinned version. There is definitely a small amount of black tobacco in this, which tastes and smells like latakia. Or maybe it's the type of latakia that supposedly isn't in Presbyterian Mixture - a sort of non-latakia latakia. All I know is that both blends taste faintly of latakia and leave a room note of latakia, not to mention the tin aroma. So if it's not latakia, it's doing a very believable impersonation.

I found this tobacco unmemorable. The virginias seemed moderately interesting and there was a wisp of muted orientals that showed up from time to time but the predominate flavor was latakia... not that it was very prominent at all. The trouble with this blend is that there was not much flavor at all. It was mainly the proverbial "warm air" smoke. I never got to smoke the original but I'm guessing it was a richer blend in the past. This is forgettable, and I intend to forget it now that I finished about 2/3 of the tin. The room note was decent but nothing to get excited over. Admittedly, I overpuffed a few bowls to get some flavor to develop and paid the price with a bit of tongue burn. When I puffed normally, there was very little flavor to be discerned. Recommended only to those who like very light-flavored tobaccos with no complexity or "color" to them. Not a bad tobacco by any means but certainly nothing I'd care to repeat when there are so many other more deserving blends.

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias are grassy with a touch of earth, and a light citrus note. The Turkish is woody, a little smokey, with a hint of butter. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite and will smoke slightly warm only if you're puffing your brains out. A creamy smooth smoke that burns at a moderate pace, clean and cool with a consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl and requires an average number of relights. Produces a good volume of smoke, though I don't recommend puffing like a steam engine. At times, it reminds me a little of Turkish cigarettes I have smoked, though I would not say this is cigarettish. An all day smoke that does well enough, but doesn't have a range of flavor or body to make the "must have" list.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (102)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This was genuinely disappointing. I missed out on the original, red-tinned, black-tobacco-free version of Campanile, so I can't compare my white-tinned version to that old standard. But I can say that this white-tinned version is just plain dull.

When I first popped the tin, I was greeted by a briny, olive-like aroma and I thought I was going to be in for a great ride. But after that promising start, the tobacco turned into...well...tobacco--neutral, dull, uninspired. It's very clean tasting, I suppose. But if tobacco had its neutral midpoint--the equivalent of distilled water on the pH scale--it would be this stuff.

It's easy to pack, lights and burns well, smokes cool, and I suspect that it will become my go-to tobacco for breaking in new pipes. No ghosts here. That's the only reason it reaches the "Somewhat Recommended" level.

I normally prefer flake tobaccos vs. this, a ribbon cut, but gave it a try based on the high marks of others. The tin aroma is certainly Turkish and took me back to my early days of Gauloises cigarettes. However, the room aroma from this pipe tobacco is much better. Easy packing resulted in an effortless smoke without bite, condensation or hotness as long as puffed slowly. Although it has a clean taste, I found the Turkish influenece very intense, initally harsh and missed the normal sweetness of my regular VAs. However if you enjoy oriental smokes, this is worth a try.

Wish I could've tried the old version because this one has less value than used toilet paper. Definitely has Latakia, in fact, in a cob it's about all I can taste. The only thing I get from the other two components is a funky tasting tang and a bare hint of sweetness. I can't say that I care for this one at all.

Mild to medium in body and taste. Can't detect any added flavorings unless it's the funk. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The paper of the tin was stained by tobacco oils and the inside of the rim has signs of rust, so there must be some age to this tin. Unsmoke it is quite fragrant. It is woody with a hint of smoke and it is seems to be minimally topped with a beautiful fruity/flowery fragrance which reminds me of the tin note of Rober McConnell's Original Oriental. The tobacco is almost shag cut and contains a few shades of brown leafs mixed with a few black shags presumably from Latakia (there are indeed a few bits of black tobacco despite the advertisement, if it’s Latakia or another fire cured leaf I cannot tell).

Packs and lights easily and produces a delectable sweet and sour fragrant smoke with notes of wood and exotic spice where the Orientals have the lead role while Latakia although present is almost imperceptible. Has an easy draw, if one is careful to unclog the shag before packing, and it is of mild to medium strength but full of flavor. It is very soft, round and supple, but it burns quick – this is a minus - to a fluffy white ash.

Overall is an excellent Oriental forward mixture even more so than Robert McConnell’s Original Oriental which has more Latakia. It has less Oriental tanginess than El Rincon de la Pipa another favourite Oriental forward blend and I think it’s much more flavorful than Early Morning Pipe. Easily an all-day smoke.

Highly recommended for those who like Oriental blends with minimal or no Latakia.

Similar Blends: Robert McConnell's Original Oriental, El Rincon de la Pipa, Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

Piper@thegates Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper@thegates (20)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Review of red tinned, Peterson & Sorensen blend bought from Germany Jan 2011.

This tobacco comes packed in plastic, a la Prespytarien. Aroma is that of a good Va mixture with the presence of Oriental also detected, but predominently Va. Appearance is of a ribbon cut blend of Va tobaccos and a small amount of darker tobaccos which after smoking, I believe to be that of a (Va) Cavendish rather than that of Latakia.

Campanile may have undergone some variation during its transformation from a James Fox blend to that of its present German blenders. But as we know, this period can sometimes lead to blends losing its original identity if the blenders do not stick rigidly to the original source and recipes. My current tin however is representative of everything the makers say it is. An English Oriental with no black tobacco other than what I take to be that of a Va cavendish. Certainly I detect no latakia present in this blend

Moisture is fine and the tobacco packs and lights very easily. I was impressed with the Va blends which are the dominant flavours of this smoke, although as the smoke progresses, the spicy almost peppery flavours of the orient leaf become more apparant. I find this blend to be an easy smoking, slightly bland English oriental, not great, but also not bad at all. For the smoker who likes English blends but is not over fond of latakia I would recommend Campanile in its present manifestation. Medium in both taste and strength with a substantial Va body and peppery Turkish undertones, This blend shouldnt dissappoint, its not meant to be a strong latakia English blend, more of a slightly spicy English Oriental. On the value for money scale I would say that Campanile does itself justice and represents good value with good quality leaf providing a mellow yet slightly spicy and rewarding smoke. Recommended

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Exquisite mixture of matured, mostly red Virginias with superb Smyrna (or at least it tastes like it). A sweet, mellow and tasteful smoke which burns cool with no tongue bite. No Latakia here, this is a plain Oriental mixture.

I always try to provide comparisons for the reader to know what to expect. This is a tough one, but the closest I can think of is Davidoff Royalty, without the top-dressing (Campanile is unflavored, as far as I can discern).

I sure am glad I recently went back to this blend after a several year separation. It seems the leaf now employed is a bit more aged (as am I), but unlike me, the new maturity has produced a better product.

Campanile is soft and subtly sweet in a way one would expect from a Virginia/Oriental combination. Yet the exotic companion to the Virginia here is a cut above many other similar blends that I have tried. And, the room note is "to die for."

As one of the previous reviewers noted; a minor drawback to this blend is that is does have a tendency to heat up a bit. Puff slowly and surely you will be rewarded with as rich and creamy an Oriental taste as there is.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)

I purchased a tin of this several months ago while on a quest for a good oriental mix. I found what I sought in several others (Robert McConnell's Oriental, for one) and never really got back to this. It is certainly a quality tobacco, but I concur with other reviewers about its initial harshness. This seems its only drawback. I too enjoy Turkish tobacco and its smoke aroma, even going so far as to smoke Camel unfiltereds in my youth. This is the pipe tobacco equivalent of Camels, which may or may not be a complement.

A petty quibble with the description above, apparently formerly from the tin: even in sunlight, my mixture clearly contains a small percentage of black tobacco. What it is, I neither know nor care. If it is latakia, it is barely detectable. Also, the sweetness I associate with oriental and Virginia tobaccos is muted to barely perceptable; a dry smoke, like cabernet is to wine.

I prefer many others, especially considering the premium price of Campanile. Nonetheless, it is a quality smoke, deserving of a recommendation to those who like dark Virginia and Turkish tobaccos.

ThePeterPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePeterPiper (2)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I’m writing this because you have to post a note with at least 25 words, but I can sum up the entire experience with one word: boring. Looks like quality in the tin, smells like quality in the tin, tastes like nothing, and taste is most important.

Pipe Used: Peterson Aran 53

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)

From what I have read this is not even a shadow of what it used to be which is a shame if you were a fan of the original, what I smoked (white tin) probably is one of the most boring concoctions I have put in a pipe, dull virginias and muted oriental is how I would described this, it does not even has the redemption of a decent amount of nicotine. You could do worse I guess, but for the price this is no better than a bulk blend. Would I buy again...not likely.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum billiard (nording)5

Age When Smoked: 5 plus years

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars.com

Laudante Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laudante (29)

This rating is for the original Fox version (why all the originals are disappearing nowadays?). I haven´t tried the Kohlhasse´s, although I just bought a tin of it and I will open it soon.

Campanile is a great tobacco and for at least 4 years I smoked one bowl of it every morning, almost religiously. One year ago I decided to start a change of pace and take the opportunity to try new things and see if I can find something better, but I´m returning to my Campanile. That says it all.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Pretty big hit of turkish in here, and the result is a somewhat "Camel" ish smoke.

Astringent but flavorful.

I think a better bet is McClelland 221b Arcadia or Presbyterian Mixture. These are both better balanced for contemplative smoking.

All the same, this is top quality stuff, and worth a run. It blends very nicely with softer Virginias, like HH MAture from Mac Baren.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Campanile is a sumptuous blend of delicious Virginias and glorious Orientals. It is an excellent morning, afternoon , evening, anytime smoke: though it will not make much of an impact if smoked after a Latakia laden blend. The mouth feel is gorgeous. It is subtle, and therefore , in my opinion, more likely to appeal to the experienced pipe smoker than to a new comer. In the same genre as Davidoff`s Royalty and Rattray`s Number 7 Reserve, and less characterful - and less mouth scorching - than Red Raparee. Rich smoothness is all.

Good burning blend. That's where the goods end. I guess you could use this one as a base for home-blending tests, because smoked alone it's totally insignificant. If you're a cigarette smoker who wants to switch to the pipe, try out this mixture: the flavour is the same.

Lochinvar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lochinvar (78)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I hate that I could not like this blend, as I am generally a Turkish fan. This however is not a good showcase of Turkish potential. Aperitif, Red Raparee, Cairo; these show of the best qualities of the Turkish leaf. This is nothing more than a Camel in pipe tobacco form, an absolute dearth of depth. The overall taste was too dry and without siqnificant character in the Turkish and Virginia componenets, much like a Toast sandwich (a slice of toast sandwiched between two pieces of toast). I gave my tin away. Try something else.