Rich, full-flavored tasted with a pleasant aroma. Extremely satisfying, and most smooth and gentle to the tongue.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsCavendish
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

Def621 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Def621 (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have been smoking TSR since the mid 1970s. Lately, however, it seems to have substantially more bite. I don't know if its me or a change in the tobacco. I should contact Iwan Reiss. The store is a mere shadow of what it used to be. The collection on display is gone, and the store is a small portion of the second floor. very sad.

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

At first I was not sold on this one. After completing two ounces, it really started to grow on me. I could easily see this as a good all day smoke. Good stuff but won't make my rotation.

Ok, I just gave this blend a second chance. Needless to say, I'm impressed. It seems every time I reach for tobacco I end up with this. That says all that needs to be said.

Purchased From: IRC

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (103)

I couldn't taste much of anything except anise. I enjoy aromatics but I do want to be able to taste tobacco. Maybe I got a bad batch. Not recommended.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

I like this alot . I was bummed out that I can't get dunhill std. mixture med. anymore and thought I'd try this . Glad I did ! Burns well and dry .... tastes close enough to std. mix. med. so I'm happy . You can taste the components and your head wont swim .It's medium all the way . This blend may suprise you ... It's reasonable in price ! Try it

Winter pipe fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winter pipe fan (11)

I have to admit to being a real fan of Iwan Ries tobaccos. Although online ordering is my usual form of purchase from them, I make it a point to visiting their shop in Chicago (185 miles from my home) at least once or twice a year. Three Star Royal is clearly the best blend in the Three Star lineup. Being largely an English/British blend type of smoker, I find it to be a bit of a pipe smokers comfort tobacco, if you will. Three Star Royal is labeled as a non-aromatic, but there is no doubt it is cased with something of a very subtle fruit type of aroma that I find pleasing in the pouch. It packs and lights easily and stays lit; always providing a real refreshing taste that continues into the bowl. The pouch aroma/casing translates to a "fresh" taste, not an aromatic taste, which makes this tobacco a bit of a minor marvel. The taste does pick up a richness down into the bowl that doesn't go over the top - always keeps it's strength in check which qualifies this tobacco as one you can light up more than once a day. Finally, my bottom line thought is this: here is a tobacco that English blend pipers can keep in their rotation as a refreshing smoke that others, in addition to the smoker, will most likely enjoy! Highly recommended!

AcworthAl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AcworthAl (20)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Three Star Royale was a pleasant surprise. It is a light easy smoking blend that does not bite. It is a great change of pace and it is rather inexpensive. Iwan Ries came through again

roberteconnors Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
roberteconnors (9)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Very mild American English, with a very slight sweet aroma, maybe anise. I would say by smell of the bag, there is some latakia in the mixture, but not much. Very little taste. Much milder than Middleton Walnut, which I would also characterize as a Mild American English. Description on bag that this is "rich in taste" is really off the mark. Not sure if there is any casing...Iwan Ries says that this is a non-aromatic. Non- aromatics generally indicate no casing is added. Non-aromatics still can produce a variety of room notes, however.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

In the world of mild tobaccos there are a lot that do it far worse, but there a some that do it a lot better. I do enjoy this blend but I never look forward to smoking it like I do others, it is just kind of average. The strange thing about it is that I think of it as more of a burly based aromatic that an English tobacco. If there is any latakia in this mixture they must have forgotten to put it in my pouch.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Best all around, all day pipe tobacco I've tasted to date...even the wife doesn't mind it.

Charatan tall billiard

I am a little confused after reading what others have to say of this blend. My impression is of a good, old-fashioned sweetened drugstore pouch from maybe 40 years ago. The experience was positive over all but not exceptional. The word "English" never came mind. If there is Latakia in this blend it is very subtle as my tolerance for that tobacco is slight.

TSR burned well, smelled nice, tasted pretty good. A better than average yard smoke and easy on the tongue. Not too damp with a well designed pouch that has a built-in ziplock seal. If you have been smoking some of the more popular American Aromatic blends I would say this would be a step toward an English-type mixture.

Or,just fire up that lawn mower and puff away.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (127)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

It's been over 20 years since I've smoked this blend. Other then being milder and a little sweeter, it tastes the same to me. The anise casing is a little over the top for me now, but this is still a very good american-english-aromatic. The latakia and orientals stay in the background, giving support to the burley-virginia base. The blend burns cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl and the anise does not diminish from start to finish. Overall, an excellent blend at a reasonable price.

South Mantis06 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
South Mantis06 (12)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Having recently re-acquired the taste for the pipe after a 30 year respite, I immediately turned to my once favorite tobacco- IRC Royal. I recall back then in my youthfullness that the packaging stated Royal was was "full bodied, with the taste reved up till' it purrs"- or something along that line. Well, I still like it a lot, but it ain't purrin' as I remember it. It doesn't seem as as strong, or as flavorful as I remember it being from the IRC of old. Room note I think is plesant, and the taste is still very good IMO. I like it, but it was much better.

I still give it... 3 Star's.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Three Star Royale is another Iwan Ries offering. I tried TSR and Three Star Green after receiving them in a sample pack in the mail. TSR is definitely going to be added to my rotation. Some other reviewers have said that this is a mild English blend, and I agree. It was very moist in the pouch, but some drying time helped it. TSR packed and burned well. I tasted maybe a light licorice flavor, but nothing overpowering. Being a 1Q smoker, I expected some moisture to remain in the bowl after finishing, but was pleasantly surprised to find no goopiness, just smooth taste, and a dry bowl. A very nice non- aromatic, and could very well influence me to become a non- aromatic tobacco lover.

=============================================================06122006 This blend is still in my rotation. I no longer smoke 1Q because it is very boring. TSR and 3 Peterson blends are what I like the most. Thanks, Iwan Ries, for saving me from the world of sweet smelling, sickish tasting aromatic tobaccos.

Desertrat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Desertrat (2)

After having tried a few of the aromatics from Iwan Ries...such as 3-Star Blue, I decided to give this non-aromatic a try. I purchased 2 of their 11 ounce bags of this and aged one of them for a year. I found this blend to be quite pleasant, easy on the tongue, and if the wife likes the room note...that is fine with me! Just a little sweetness, smoked cool and dry to the bottom of my churchwardens and my meerschaums. The aged bag..which I opened about a month ago, was just as fresh, due to the very good quality air seal used on these blends. I don't think I will try any other of the aromatics again, as Royal is pretty much all I would ever need for flavor. I do like IRC tobaccos in general and their Balkan Supreme is one of my favorites. Royal is a very decent blend for an "all day" and I recommend it.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)

Light americanized english blend made from decent but unremarkable components. A very thin casing applied with a conservative hand keeps this from becoming overtly sweet while likely helping mask some leaf quality issues.

Unlike others, I found that it can and will bite if smoked at the rate just beyond that required to keep the stuff from going out. Nice soft variations of toasted oat scents in the bag and after lighting.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

An old Iwan Ries catalog, circa early 1970's, described Three Star Royal as containing a very small amount of aromatic ingredient, just enough to screen any "heavy" tobacco scent. Although labeled as "extra rich, non-aromatic" it actually is neither. By today's standards, I would place Royal solidly in the medium taste category. A touch of oriental and a whiff of latakia give it a more complex and slightly heartier flavor than the other Three Star blends, with a rather nice room note as well. I've had favorable compliments on the aroma. Although personally I've never found bite to be much of a problem in any of the Three Stars, Royal is probably one of the least bite prone of all of them, IMO. It lights up easily, burns cool, steady and fairly dry, and doesn't sour the bowl. I find it to be a thoroughly satisfying blend for everyday. A good choice for the aromatic smoker looking for a more "English" taste without sacrificing the smellumgood.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I taste an assortment of cheap tobaccos blended to something resembling a mild English. I wish I had more to say, or at least something remotely positive, but I don't. The closest peer I can recall would be Crown Achievement, by Lane, and it blows this stuff away.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the mildest American-English I have smoked to date. The Latakia is barely noticeable in the pouch aroma, and it melds into the flavor of the smoke, becoming almost imperceptible. I agree the pouch description is misleading. This is not a rich full flavored blend. It is mild, delicate, with a pleasant anise/licorice top note. You do have to puff gently, or it will bite, and turn bitter. This might make a good morning smoke, or change of pace for the aromatic smoker,as long as you take it slow and easy.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

A really smooth english blend. I don't detect any topping or flavorings in this blend. What I do detect is orientals, the sweetness of virginia, some burley undertones and the presence of smokey latakia to round it out. It burns well and doesn't seem to want to bite if smoked properly. Very nice smoke.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If I were to rate this relative to the pouch description, it would only get a "not recommended" rating. It isn't full flavored by any stretch of the imagination.

It would seem that this blend has undergone some drastic changes since Pipestud reviewed it, as pointed out by emmbee.

Burley seems to dominate, with some unflavored cavendish along for the ride. The taste isn't offensive, in fact, it isn't bad. It might make a decent summertime working in the yard blend.

The flavor picked up a bit toward the end of the bowl, which is good, it had a very weak start. No problem with bit, no harshness. It definitely lacked the sweetness I had expected.

If you like the unflavored Burley & Black from Walgreen's, you will probably like this.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This morning I hankered for something different. I always have about 2-3 tins open at any time, though I wasn't in the mood for anything I had opened. I reached into my liquor/tobacco cabinet and pulled out my odds and ends bag. In it I found a little IRC Three Star Royal given to me by a friend some time ago. I fired some up. I forgot how excellent this blend really is. It's probably IRC's finest of the Three Star line, and my favorite after the esteemed King's Oriental. Yes, there is that characteristically famous IRC licorice topping that tends to coat the tongue, but it is balanced by a fine backbone of premium latakia, black cavendish for coolness and probably some Oriental thrown in for interest and refinement. Pouch and room note are wonderful. One or two lights takes you all the way down a well-behaved bowl for a cornucopia of delightful flavors. As you proceed down, the tastes/aromas are tangy, spicy and even a little woodsy, as if there were some matured Virginia flake pressed deep inside. I will be getting a pouch of this next time I'm downtown at IRC. I've neglected this fine blend after getting involved with so many other great mixtures I've had the opportunity to try. Nevertheless, I'm glad Royal and I have been reintroduced! And, for Pipestud to really like this, well, that's no small thing.

Four of five stars ----------------- update november 2005

something has happened here. like a good woman turned bad, like a good job & a good employer now outsourced to china, like ketchup on a chicago style hotdog or mayonnaise on pastrami, iwan ries did something with this blend. it's definitely stokkebyed because it stings. gone is the bewitching aroma. missing is the soft, fruity subtleness. here is burning & pinching of tongue & roof of mouth. here is wailing & gnashing of teeth. i'll sample this one before purchasing it again. why, oh why does everything have to change?!?

downgrade to two of five stars

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (161)

What?s in a name???.and consistency? This blend is spelled as ?Royal? both here and at Ries? web site but on the pouch label and in the Ries? catalog it is spelled as ?Royale.? Regardless, this is an extremely well balanced, well-behaved blend that is sweet, pleasant and mild from the first match to the last puff with nary a hint of bite. It has a wonderful pouch aroma and a unique, sweet taste that I cannot compare to other blends I have smoked. The taste didn?t become tiresome but neither did it change much. Ries? lists Royale as a non-aromatic blend. I, however, would classify Royale as a light, sweeter than average, English aromatic. This is another fine offering in the Three Star Line. With the advent of the web and all of the other tobaccos that are now within a ?credit card?s reach,? many folks have lost sight of the Ries Three Star lineup of tobaccos. You owe it to yourself to try a couple of these Three Star blends.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.2 out of 10.

A very good offering by Iwan Ries. Simply put-This is a licorice topped medium English blend.The real description should read -An American version of "And So To Bed". There-That says it all!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is by far the most elegant of the 3-Star line. I like this a lot and have smoked it off and on for the past 30 years. It contains just a bit of latakia and oriental leaf along with some virginia and burley.

It smells awsome in the pouch, and has a subtle, sweet taste at the match. This blend, like all of the 3-Star line, does not change much as you work your way down the bowl. A friend of mine, who adores latakia blends, says this one tastes like sugar cane. I don't think it is that sweet, but you get the picture.

A delightful smoke, give Royal a try!