Iwan Ries

Balanced using top-quality, high-grade luxury leaf for satisfying, and most smooth and gentle to the tongue.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsBurley, Cavendish
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste
2.3
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This probably deserves more of a two and half star rating than a three, but I like it better than most two stars blends. I don't know what the casing is but it's not overly strong. This has a very light nutty taste from the burley, but I think the casing drowns out to some extent what one usually expects from burleys. There's no latakia that I can see or taste, but I do think there's the slightest, very slightest pinch of perique. It burns very well,and tastes better when moistened slightly. Even if I can't quite get a handle on why I liked it when I smoked it, I did enjoy it for the mild smoke that it is. It's just an easy going, lightly sweet blend that wears easy on you during the course of the day.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

I had a 6 year old pouch ,so maybe that made the difference . This was an amazing non aro American old school blend . I taste the components and it's simply fantastic ! I will have to order a new pouch and see how it compares . If the fresh isn't as good , like is shown here , then I'll stick it away for 6 years and it would have been worth it . The old pouch I had was fantastic . I saved what little I have left in a small mason jar ... 6 years aged might make the difference .. I'll find out soon enough

Arkie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arkie (106)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

I smoked a small pouch of this years ago when I got a sampler package of all the 3-star blends. As I remember, this blend was very bland and it was comparable to PA

Winter pipe fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winter pipe fan (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just couldn't get into Three Star Green. I even wanted to like it but it just doesn't work for my taste buds and the hotter than normal burn compared to my usual English blends, seems to lead one into the world of tongue bite. I tried only one or two bowls and tossed the sample pack out.

That said, I am a big fan of the Iwan Ries company. I just don't care too much for most of the "Three Star" tobaccos. I've smoked them all and find the aromatics have a soapy taste and the lighter non-aromatics have little taste. The exceptions are Three Star Royal, which is exceptional and Three Star Gray, for the smoker who enjoys light aromatics.

As always, take these reviews with a grain of salt and try them for yourself - who knows you may like Three Star Green.

pipeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeman (14)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

i'm new to non-aromatics so to start out i'd have to say,so far i like them.i thought this blend was suppose to contain latakia,like i said i'm not familar with the taste of latakia or perique for that matter so for now all i have to say is i like this blend.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got introduced to Three star Green when I received a sample pack in the mail along with several Iwan Ries and Tobacco Galleria blends. TSG seems to be a mostly Burley blend. It was very moist in the pouch, but after some drying,it packed and burned well. A word of caution though, puff slowly, or you will experience tongue burn. While not as good as Three Star Royale, IMO, this is a nice change of pace tobacco, and mey well be a good introduction to non-aromatics for the aromatic smoker and for the beginner.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Three Star Green is an unobtrusive, americanized, light 'english-like' blend. Little bite, but also consistently bland from top to bottom of the bowl.

There is a very light and not unpleasant casing here which lacks the lightly sweet charm of Three Star Royale, but thankfully avoids the topping elements that make Three Star Blue untouchable. And while this casing doesn't make the blend an 'aromatic' in the traditional sense, it's still "aromatic-ish" to me---at least in taste (does that make sense?), though the casing is light and applied with a conservative hand.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another old fahioned non-aromatic from this venerable tobacconist. Green is a Burley/Virginia, fortified with some black Cavendish. This is lightly cased with simple syrup, licorice, and I suspect, a hint of cocoa. Puffed slowly, I managed to avoid any tongue bite, but the threat is certainly there. For this reason, I would steer a beginner toward something else. The melange produces a pleasant mild toasty sweetness, with licorice. The cocoa flavor builds up slowly, and it is noticeable by mid bowl. This has a nice finish, and doesn't leave my mouth tasting like an ashtray. As mentioned the packaging is very nice. I would hope that with a nice airtight pouch, Altadis would forego having to add too much propylene glycol as a preservative. Although not exciting, this is a very pleasant and companionable blend, well suited to a cup of coffee and a newspaper, or chatting with an old friend. It is inexpensive as well. This is a welcome refuge from the Captain Black, Borkum Riff style blends commonly available, and certainly worth a try.

bertran Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bertran (6)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The foil pouch has a ziploc thingy on it to keep it sealed. Nice touch that you don't see on most pouch blends. A visual inspection reveals the presence of black and golden cavendish and burley. This is a very mild smoke that burns easily and doesn't heat up much or bite noteably. I would consider this a 'training wheels' smoke for people either new to the briar or looking to switch from aromatics to english and orientals. Personally I would likely use this as a base to cut some especially strong tabac. To my taste there isn't even enough burley in this to give the nicotine head rush that I correlate with heavy burley blends. It is a pleasant light smoke, more experienced smokers would likely want something with a bit more interesting flavor, although married folks whose significant others can't tolerate heavy english and balkan tabacs may find this a welcome refuge from the world of vanilla and cherry flavored candy-weed.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Altadis is currently running a promotion in which they are sending out pouches of their blends for free. That is how I came to have this blend.

The pouch aroma screams Burley.

The ribbon cut packs well and lights easily, stays lit and smokes cool.

The flavor is predominantly Burley, but there could be a mild Turkish in there as well. There is also a Cavendish component to the flavor.

If there is supposed to be any Perique or Latakia in the mix, IRC had better call Altadis and get their money back, because they paid for something they didn't get.

If you like the TS Royale, this will most likely be a hit with you as well. Like Royale with a hint of zest. Still a mild taste, "zest" notwithstanding.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

Three Star Green is one of only two blends in the Three Star group that are true non-aromatics IMO. There is a casing down in there somewhere that imparts a somehat sweet and rather inviting aroma in the pouch. It has a mostly ribbony cut that packs and lights easily, and burns evenly and steadily. IRC is loathe to reveal the ingredients in their in-house recipes, but my best guess is that TSG is mainly a domestic blend: burley, virginias, cavendish, and the dark almost black flakes suggest perhaps some perique as well. I detect no latakia taste or aroma.

TSG is a finicky tobacco. It needs to be packed properly and puffed slowly and evenly, or it will indeed turn hot, bitter and harsh in a hurry. With the right technique, it's a cool, flavorful smoke that for me always proves rewarding. The taste is crisp, hinting at sweetness, more flavorful than a straight burley or burley-cavendish. The taste changes little from start to finish, and it smokes fairly dry.

Thirty years ago this was one of my favorite tobaccos, and I still like to buy a bag of it when I want to take a break from English and Balkan style blends.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

A mild English blend that seems to be mostly Burleys with a touch of latakia and a few other things. Typical fast burn and bite that comes with Iwan Ries blends and will heat up a pipe in a heartbeat. I gave most of the 7oz. bag away.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

IRC Green is an interesting tobacco. I think it should be billed as a light English blend. It has a nice mild richness that I assume comes from Orientals and a bit of zest I assume comes from Virginias. If there is Turkish in this tobacco, it is a very mild variety as I normally do not like English blends with lots of Turkish. It has a ghostly whisper of Latakia essence, although I am not sure it really has any Latakia in it. Sort of strange sounding I know. I think the tobacco might have been stoved as the various tobacco flavors really come together.

Good moisture content. Easy to pack, light and keep lit. A tad bit of a bite if you over-puff.

A good blend for someone looking for a very light English with very little or no Latakia, or a new piper who does not like aromatics.

Green is a non-aromatic. It tastes similar to Blue, but is not quite as harsh and certainly not as sweet. You will taste the orientals in the leaf but will not be overwhelmed by it. The virginia is there too, but somewhat subdued. I could detect no latakia in this blend, and would be surprised if I found out there is any.