Iwan Ries

Light taste, mellow and most gentle to the tongue. A Black Cavendish formula and medium taste.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsBlack Cavendish
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild, Mild, Medium
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
2.3
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The black cavendish offers some brown sugar and vanilla. The vanilla topping has a little strength, and I get a light caramel and something sort of sour or bitter from it, which indicates more than one flavoring is used. Almost no nicotine. Burns at a decent rate with a consistent taste, and doesn't bite or get harsh. Requires an average number of relights. Leaves some moisture in your bowl. Nice after taste and room note. An easy going all day smoke that also makes a decent mixer. Two and a half stars.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I do not smoke black cavendish blends on a regular basis...but when I want something along those lines, I order a batch of this stuff. It is light and just a tad on the bitter-sweet side. You will not tire of smoking this all day. For those of us who enjoy a bit more flavor, this will not be a regular. But, for a black cavendish, this is cool and burns cleanly down the bowl without goopy residue once the load is done.

theReticentPuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
theReticentPuffer (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

ok folks. I registered today & this is my first review, so be kind! I love iwan ries: cool, shabby chic, enormous, friendly, a lot of very masculine woods on the walls & you can play there for hours without feeling rushed. the ebony tends to be rather wet when you first open the air tight pouch. it dried progressively during the 2 years it took me to finish the pouch, but today I filled my pipe with what was left & it was perfect. keep in mind I live in a tropical country with an average 70% humidity, no heating to accelerate the drying; once I put a iwan ries chalk humidifier in a park lane #7 pouch & next time I checked there was mold all over it. you can get the picture. perfect for an occasional puffer, very mild with almost no tongue bite. is it bland? no personality? well, when you want a calm smoke & not a sensorial odissey this is a great tobacco. I mean perfect to smoke while listening to a mozart concerto, not janaček. it's so mild I like to drink a medium sweet fortified wine with it. no need for a malmsey madeira or a pedro ximenez jerez: a boal or an amontillado are enough or even white port wine. it's a comfort smoke you puff when you're in a mood for pancakes & maple syrup, not for the whole irish breakfast... if you're a seasoned smoker who needs to find challanges, drama & wild emotions in every puff, you will think that this black cavendish is a lemonade to your latakia bourbon &, actually, my favorite drinks are the boulevardier & the old fashioned, but sometimes I really need the calm waters & no storm this mild tobacco provides me with. If I'm not wrong it's quite unexpensive so you get calm pleasures for a little buck. I like a bargain: it's easy to buy good stuff spending a fortune. not the other way around. isn't it clear I love iwan ries?!?!?

Pipe Used: savinelli 513ks. savinelli collection 1985

Age When Smoked: from freshly opened to 2 years later

Purchased From: iwan ries chicago on wabash

graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Got a 1.5 oz. pouch of this as a gift. Glad I didn't spend money on it!In the pouch, it's a little wet, and has an odd maybe spicy smell. When smoked, it starts off with a bad taste, and goes down hill from there. I smoke almost all ARO and Cavendish tobaccos, and this one will be tough to use up. Maybe I can mix it with something. Room note to me is almost as bad as the taste, so there is just nothing redeeming about this blend. I sure hope IRC isn't betting the farm on this one.