Light taste, mellow and most gentle to the tongue. A Black Cavendish formula and medium taste.

BrandIwan Ries
2.2
graygeek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
graygeek (10)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Got a 1.5 oz. pouch of this as a gift. Glad I didn't spend money on it!In the pouch, it's a little wet, and has an odd maybe spicy smell. When smoked, it starts off with a bad taste, and goes down hill from there. I smoke almost all ARO and Cavendish tobaccos, and this one will be tough to use up. Maybe I can mix it with something. Room note to me is almost as bad as the taste, so there is just nothing redeeming about this blend. I sure hope IRC isn't betting the farm on this one.

Capt. Cavendish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt. Cavendish (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Three Star Ebony is my go-to blend. Kind of like a middle reliever, if you're into baseball metaphors. It's nothing show-stopping, but it gets you to the ninth inning and keeps those around you in the game with it's room note that truly cannot be beat. If you're looking for an aromatic crowd pleaser, this is your blend. It's definitely not a no-hitter, or even a shutout, but it's a solid performer who is consistent every time you send him to the mound. I had some last night (it had been a long time), and the tobacco was still very moist and just as I remembered it. This is your classic pipe aroma, if that's what you're looking for. Super sweet and enticing to those around you.

fatherDougal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fatherDougal (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I have an older box/pouch of this venerable blend. This may explain why my experience of this weed sounds nothing like the previous writers...I loved the black crumbly look, and enjoyed the grassy smell at first opening. eevn though it was older, it still retained bit of moisture. But at the first draw, I was not expecting that floral taste I so distain. I was hoping for the sweet caramel cavendish that comes from Trout Stream, or another black cav. blend. The soap taste does wander off somewhere as the bowl winds down, but the aftertaste will be there with you in the morning. At least it didn't "stain" my old Dublin. Do I dare try Condor next???

wordmerchant Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wordmerchant (16)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Black and sticky and a bit moist, this tobacco prefumes the air with a soft clover scent but offers only a hint of sweetness for the tongue. I can happily report that it fails to attract bees.

I've found that Ebony works nice in blending some of my own Frankenweed as it adds nuances (sweet highlights)and a creamy element to the smoke. Marries nicely to pipeandcigar's Butternut Burley.

Recommended for first time smokers due to it's soft nature. Overcooked palates won't find much here.

As a stand alone smoke: 2 stars

As a blender: 3.5

Very Mild Very Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Oh, this is truly a wonderfully sweet,sweet, sweet black cavendish.I absolutely loved this stuff! This is truly an American aromatic.The flavoring is vanilla with a honey undertone. This is very satisfying when you have a sweet tooth.The major difference between this and all other Black cavendish blends is the moisture level. This actually burns dry. There is no gunk, goop, or gurgle. The room note is heavenly! The closest description in taste is the following-it lies somewhwere between Pipeworks and Wilke's Bleeker Street and Bohemian. Really wonderful aromatic stuff! 4 of 4 aromatic stars!

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I agree with the other reviews here. This is a pleasant aromatic tobacco with a heavy topping, though never goopy. The creamy, vanilla aroma is similar to IRC Old Colonial, but a bit thicker & more sugary in flavor. If you're going to go with a heavily cased aromatic of good quality, you're better off with the IRC OC. Ebony is a classic aromatic black cavendish, but it leaves me wanting something more. It's very moist & packs well, but Wilke Bohemian & IRC OC are the better of the classic American aromatics. Perhaps I'm getting a little tired of trying so many things that are mere variations of basically the same products. I'm starting to limit myself to a handful of products I want to smoke regularly.

Two and a half of five stars

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I have to be a dissenting critic on this one compared to the previous two. I have not tried a black cavendish blend previously. In the pouch this one can be smelled from afar with a very strong sweet and cloying aroma. It is quite a bit too moist on arrival. Flame hits weed,,,,,,,,and flame hits weed,,,,,,and flame hits weed,,, and flame hits weed. Lots of smoke and a pleasant aroma but where is the taste. I said where is the taste. This is close to tasteless. Very mild and almost tasteless. I cannot see myself finishing this 1.5 oz. pouch. I cannot recommend this one. I much prefer the Three Star Blue.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

What a pleasant surprise. I have been playing around with aromatics for a change of pace but have found most to be just too sweet or "treated" tasting.

This was very good. All black Cavendish with nothing else. So I figured it would be too sweet. But it was not. It had a nice musty/bittersweet taste that was not cloying. A mild preserved fruit taste as well. Pretty dry and clean burn. Fairly easy to keep lit.

Try this for something different.

Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I do not smoke black cavendish blends on a regular basis...but when I want something along those lines, I order a batch of this stuff. It is light and just a tad on the bitter-sweet side. You will not tire of smoking this all day. For those of us who enjoy a bit more flavor, this will not be a regular. But, for a black cavendish, this is cool and burns cleanly down the bowl without goopy residue once the load is done.