Iwan Ries

Extra light, extra mild using a premium leaf. One of our newest creations with a gratifying tasted, most appealing aroma and no bite.

BrandIwan Ries
Taste
2.9
ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)

I like this . The burley is up front with a woody taste . The cavendish comes in behind and the virginia is maybe there . easy smokin ,cool and dry .If ya like the woody flavor of burley you're good to go here .. On the downside , it leaves a funky taste on the back of my throat that hangs around for too long

sigler09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sigler09 (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Three Star Banner-Lite was my very first pipe tobacco, and still my favourite to date! A nice, smooth smoke with a great taste. A slight bite with too quick of a smoke, but otherwise a great tobacco! An excellent choice for a first tobacco, too!

Pipe Used: 1965 Medico Dublin

Purchased From: Iwan Ries & Co., Chicago

Polaris82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Polaris82 (14)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

I really appreciated receiving a complementary 7oz bag of 3SB Lite after purchasing a pipe online but sadly the appreciation ends there. The aroma of this blend is wonderful, but it lacks in flavor. I could not detect any flavoring to this tobacco whatsoever. Hopefully its just a bad batch. I am going to experiment with diffrent pipes and may put off smoking other blends for a bit to give me a fresh go at this but for the time being I would not recommend this. If your going to do aromatics.....Boswells.

daboss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
daboss (5)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is my favorite tobacco so far and if you like aromatics, you will love to smoke Banner-Lite! The smell of the tobacco in the pouch is unreal and upon first light the smell and taste are out of this world. Not too heavy of a casing when smoking. Will bite as it smokes warm if puffing too fast. Relights are minimal as this smokes clean to the bottom.

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Excellent aromatic - very much like Captain Black White. Nice!

donk93953 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donk93953 (18)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

As my reviews show, I don't have the most sophisticated of tastes when it comes to pipe tobacco, but I know what I like...and I like this, alot. I have a pipe stuck in my mouth most of the day and the light, true tobacco taste, combined with an aroma that always, and I mean always, gets compliments this is my daily tobacco. The aroma is not the candy shop smell, no its smells like tobacco...and its pleasant. I air-dry mine for about 24 hours after opening. Give it a try...you might be surprised.

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

As the name implies, Banner-Lite is, well, light. It also has perhaps the finest aroma in the pouch of any blend I've ever put my sniffer to! The leaf looks and smells like chocolate. The cut is ribbon and the pouch is one of those patented Iwan Ries 7-oz. jobs that keeps the tobacco fresh.

Upon lighting you will recognize true tobacco flavor (burley and virginia), but the casing will also be quite evident. Because of the casing, this blend can smoke a bit warm with too aggressive puffing. Take it slow and you will be rewarded with a unique smoking experience. And of course, as is the case with all the 3-star blends, this one smokes dry to the bottom of the bowl.

I enjoyed this as a change of pace, but will not rush to get more.