Our traditional aromatic, exceptionally light. Bordering on the Dutch varieties, but with more taste.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsCavendish, Black Cavendish
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste

3.1
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A couple of friends kept telling me how good this is, and I doubted them until I smoked it myself. There's a hint of tobacco taste here, but it's sublimated by mild vanilla, oat, molasses, and cashew flavors in varying degrees with just enough coconut to please without upstaging the other ingredients. Burns as perfectly as a tobacco blend can with a consistent taste all the way to the end. No goop, no surprises... a well made mixture that works well with anything you drink and anything you do all day, every day. I see why my friends like it as much as they do.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (82)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Imagine Carter Hall with a mild topnote of coconut [ so they say ] , though I don't taste it as coconut , mostly . This is very much like Carter Hall , only better . It smokes smoothly and the topnote never gets in the way and stays in the back ground . It's really a fantastic smoke ! If you like or love Carter Hall , this is a must try . This is easily an all day smoking blend . It is mindless to light and keep lit . A newbie could " smoke like a pro " with this one .I cant say enough about it . For it's style , which would be an Old School American mild aro , it's top notch !

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (8)

I tried this blend among some others from Iwan Ries. I like this blend. It isn't overly wet, and it didn't bite. It burned nicely in both briar and meerschaum. I could taste the cocnut topping without it seeming to take over. The cut of the tobacco was varied. It had a tendency - at least for me - to burn a little faster than some other blends, making it good for larger bowls. The only complaint I have is that some smaller tobacco pieces got caught, leaving me to use more cleaners during the smoke than I normally do. Three stars.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

I love this stuff! I smoke FM, Dark star ,English luxury, Escudo etc... run the board. But the flavor and ash in every pipe I smoke is great, Meershaum,Castello,Charatan Dunhill,doesn't matter it smokes down to the bottom with no effort and a fluffy white ash with a great aroma according to my official aroma critic (one of my daughter's)! Fantastic!

DBCooper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DBCooper (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

OC is a very mild aromatic which has a coconut topping. On opening, the pouch aroma is outstanding. It is a medium cut mixture which gravity packs easily, is easy to light, and burns smoothly to the bottom of the bowl. On smoking, I felt the coconut flavor to be tough to detect and one is left with a mild, Dutch like, tobacco taste. Like many IRC blends, the room note is very pleasant and sure to impress. This is not my cup of tea, but if you like easy to smoke, mild aromatics you should give it a try.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This IRC traditional blend has a lot going for it as other reviewers have noted, but the casing is not one of them, in my opinion. If the aromatic agents were cut in half, I could recommend this tobacco to others with a 3 star rating.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

This blend has a pleasant and distinct pouch aroma of coconuts with a chocolate scent in the background. When smoked, it is much more subdued than the pouch aroma with a moderate sweetness and flavor. I experienced no bite. This blend should please fans of light aromatics.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.3 out of 10.

Silver Satin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Satin (5)

Stopped in the other day to get a small tin of Union Leader in keeping with my latest theme of "Old Timey" blends and decided to give this one a try. I must be on a roll here, as I have found much pleasure in this blend especially. This is one of IRC's oldest blends and I can see why they still offer it. Pleasant in an automobile with the window slightly cracked and not offensive to my allergy afflicted better half in the sometimes lenghty rides to and from the loop. Can't taste the casing, aroma not sweet at all, this is rapidly becoming my tobacco of choice. Also with a nod to emmbee, I hope that this fine old shop will not become just a memory, and with the service and selection which is in my opinion second to none, is in no danger of becoming so.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Very fine. Coconut, sweet, woodsy and fragrant. Like King's Oriental, this is the perfect crossover blend for those who seek pure tobacco taste without foresaking aroma. Everyone around you will love you. Iwan Ries & Wilke tend to excel in their light aromatic/English crossovers. Their straight English and Orientals don't do much for me, as there is so much good product out there. If you're in town, stop up and try this. Very satisfying. As for Iwan Ries, fine people working there, and one of the last great institutions remaining in the old Chicago jewelry district, which continues to decline into corporate sameness, chain retailing & drab yuppiedom. Enjoy Old Colonial & the wonderful shop that created it before it too becomes a nostalgic memory.

Three and a half of five stars

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is reminiscent of TROOST SLICES.It has a wonderful mild flavoring and burns very cool.It is a change of pace tabac.Not nauseatingly sweet at all, and still has tobacco taste.If you are in the shop try it. 3 of 4 stars.

This is not one of my favorite IRC blends, but frankly, I like it more than their 3-star aromatics because I don't taste any oriental leaf. It is quite cool and I particularly enjoyed the nostalgic idea that I might be smoking something my Grandpa loaded in his pipe.

An age old blend that is popular with almost any age group, barely aromatic to please both the natural and cased crowds, and a flavor that pleases. This may not be a home run, but is certainly a double in most any ballpark!