Made with a healthy base of toasted burley and bright Virginia flake. Black cavendish, perique and latakia are then added to round out the flavor. Topped with just a hint of vanilla flavoring, Old Colonial is an exceptionally light aromatic and sure to please a variety of smokers.

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging50g pouch, 7 ounce bag.
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The bright Virginia has some honey, grass and a bit of citrus, and competes with the burley for attention.The toasted burley provides nuts and cashews with a very light molasses in an important support role. The black cavendish offers a mild sugary vanilla in the background. The Cyprian latakia adds no more than a slight push of smokiness to the blend. The perique doesn’t seem to have any spice, but apparently adds a little plum and raisin that’s hardly noticeable. A mild vanilla topping tones down the tobaccos just a mite, and while there is no coconut topping, something seems to give the impression that a little is present. Has very little nicotine. Burns slightly more than at a moderate pace, cool, clean, and even with a very smooth, consistent flavor from start to finish. Won’t bite, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. Needs very few relights. The sweetness isn’t over done, and it provides a very pleasant after taste that lingers a little, and a great room note. An all day smoke that doesn’t wear out its welcome. Does well with hot tea or coffee. Three and a half stars.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (103)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Imagine Carter Hall with a mild topnote of coconut [ so they say ] , though I don't taste it as coconut , mostly . This is very much like Carter Hall , only better . It smokes smoothly and the topnote never gets in the way and stays in the back ground . It's really a fantastic smoke ! . This is easily an all day smoking blend . It is mindless to light and keep lit and has no wetness at the bottom of the bowl . No bite what s ever . A newbie could " smoke like a pro " with this one . For it's style , which would be an Old School American mild aro , it's top notch !

marosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
marosi (66)
Extremely Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The description of this blend was pretty off-base, so I updated with the information directly from the IRC website. As you can see, this has a base of burley, virginias, and black cavendish, to which latakia, perique, and a casing of of vanilla have been added. I can understand why many describe this as being coconut flavored. The overall effect is reminiscent of coconut, but that is most likely just the cumulative effect of the various flavors. IRC states very flatly that this only has a light vanilla casing. If we take them at their word then the coconut effect is an interesting example of something being more than the sum of its parts.

The tobacco is an attractive light mottle of the burley and VA with darker flecks here at there. The cut is most definitely not ribbon - to my eye it is closest to a cube cut. It is pretty dry and needs little additional resting time before packing, and packs nicely without much fuss.

It lights easily and once started will burn very consistently with a light tamping now and then. The flavor started out dry and soapy to my taste, but this quickly dissipates and is replaced with a sweet, dry but rich flavor. I really cannot taste the latakia, but perhaps that is where that slightly soapy background and the dry mouth feel comes from. It burns so cool that I have a tendency to puff it too quickly simply because it lets me, and it tastes very good. I must admit that sweetness with a light coconut flavor is a good way to describe the taste, but the effect is very harmonious and light, without being thin or enjoyable like other, flavorless blends. I can almost convince myself that there is some kind of very light floral, lakeland thing going on, but it is probably just in my head, because I have to look to find it. The takeaway is that while this is light there is real depth here also, and you can enjoy exploring with a bowl.

This one has zero nicotine, so it would be a very good beginners blend as it does not bite, tastes good, burns easily, and will not make you woozy. Like all blends with vanilla it can get sharp if you puff too hard and fast, but it never reaches the level of tongue bite, and you really have to offend it to produce such an effect.

To me this is clearly a very burley-forward aromatic, and there is nothing wrong with that. There are some heavily cased German virginia based aros that will just destroy you if you do not smoke them exactly right. There are no such worries with this - just pack your pipe and go to town.

I always find it interesting that many of the old school aromatics had latakia and perique thrown in. We seem over the years to have developed a false line that excludes those tobaccos from most aromatics, and have lost something as a result. One of my favorite aromatics is Sillem's Black, which has a very substantial dose of Latakia, and Old Colonial benefits from these ingredients, no matter how little is used. They provide just enough structure to provide real flavor and a satisfying smoke from what would otherwise be a very light aromatic.

This one is growing on me. I am new to the blend, and frankly did not give it a fair shake because I had already tried Dr. Bradley, which is just much better to my taste. That is not, however, because Old Colonial is not very good in its own right - Dr. Bradley is just an amazing, one of a kind smoke. Even though they share much of the same structure they really do not taste anything alike, and Old Colonial is much in light with what one might expect from an old school american aromatic. If you are used to gloppy, wet modern aromatics then you need to see what was up 50 or more years ago, because they knew how to blend for flavor and enjoyment without creating a sticky mess. So Old Colonial makes a wonderful anytime, easygoing aromatic smoke.

I just want to add a shout-out to Peppino's review because he got it exactly right. It doesn't matter what you smoke, if you enjoy a good quality pipe then you are going to enjoy this, because it has a whole lot of good qualities to offer if you have an open mind. I have sugar-coated Gawith flakes that are more than ten years old, and I can honestly say that I can enjoy this, in the right frame of mind, (almost) as much as I can enjoy those Gawith nuggets of joy!

Pipe Used: Colm Magner Pot

Purchased From: IRC

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

I love this stuff! I smoke FM, Dark star ,English luxury, Escudo etc... run the board. But the flavor and ash in every pipe I smoke is great, Meershaum,Castello,Charatan Dunhill,doesn't matter it smokes down to the bottom with no effort and a fluffy white ash with a great aroma according to my official aroma critic (one of my daughter's)! Fantastic!

Silver Satin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Satin (5)

Stopped in the other day to get a small tin of Union Leader in keeping with my latest theme of "Old Timey" blends and decided to give this one a try. I must be on a roll here, as I have found much pleasure in this blend especially. This is one of IRC's oldest blends and I can see why they still offer it. Pleasant in an automobile with the window slightly cracked and not offensive to my allergy afflicted better half in the sometimes lenghty rides to and from the loop. Can't taste the casing, aroma not sweet at all, this is rapidly becoming my tobacco of choice. Also with a nod to emmbee, I hope that this fine old shop will not become just a memory, and with the service and selection which is in my opinion second to none, is in no danger of becoming so.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)

Very fine. Coconut, sweet, woodsy and fragrant. Like King's Oriental, this is the perfect crossover blend for those who seek pure tobacco taste without foresaking aroma. Everyone around you will love you. Iwan Ries & Wilke tend to excel in their light aromatic/English crossovers. Their straight English and Orientals don't do much for me, as there is so much good product out there. If you're in town, stop up and try this. Very satisfying. As for Iwan Ries, fine people working there, and one of the last great institutions remaining in the old Chicago jewelry district, which continues to decline into corporate sameness, chain retailing & drab yuppiedom. Enjoy Old Colonial & the wonderful shop that created it before it too becomes a nostalgic memory.

Three and a half of five stars

This is not one of my favorite IRC blends, but frankly, I like it more than their 3-star aromatics because I don't taste any oriental leaf. It is quite cool and I particularly enjoyed the nostalgic idea that I might be smoking something my Grandpa loaded in his pipe.

An age old blend that is popular with almost any age group, barely aromatic to please both the natural and cased crowds, and a flavor that pleases. This may not be a home run, but is certainly a double in most any ballpark!

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (22)

I tried this blend among some others from Iwan Ries. I like this blend. It isn't overly wet, and it didn't bite. It burned nicely in both briar and meerschaum. I could taste the cocnut topping without it seeming to take over. The cut of the tobacco was varied. It had a tendency - at least for me - to burn a little faster than some other blends, making it good for larger bowls. The only complaint I have is that some smaller tobacco pieces got caught, leaving me to use more cleaners during the smoke than I normally do. Three stars.

DBCooper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DBCooper (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

OC is a very mild aromatic which has a coconut topping. On opening, the pouch aroma is outstanding. It is a medium cut mixture which gravity packs easily, is easy to light, and burns smoothly to the bottom of the bowl. On smoking, I felt the coconut flavor to be tough to detect and one is left with a mild, Dutch like, tobacco taste. Like many IRC blends, the room note is very pleasant and sure to impress. This is not my cup of tea, but if you like easy to smoke, mild aromatics you should give it a try.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (168)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

This IRC traditional blend has a lot going for it as other reviewers have noted, but the casing is not one of them, in my opinion. If the aromatic agents were cut in half, I could recommend this tobacco to others with a 3 star rating.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

This blend has a pleasant and distinct pouch aroma of coconuts with a chocolate scent in the background. When smoked, it is much more subdued than the pouch aroma with a moderate sweetness and flavor. I experienced no bite. This blend should please fans of light aromatics.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.3 out of 10.

Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is reminiscent of TROOST SLICES.It has a wonderful mild flavoring and burns very cool.It is a change of pace tabac.Not nauseatingly sweet at all, and still has tobacco taste.If you are in the shop try it. 3 of 4 stars.