One of our oldest blends and still a favorite non-aromatic with a burley base and IRC special touches. A basic blend for every day smoking.

BrandIwan Ries
Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
Blend TypeBurley Based
FlavoringAnisette, Cocoa / Chocolate, Other / Misc
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Taste
2.4

A no-frills burley blend with some grassy, citrusy Virginia, though it's hard to taste much of the Va. The toppings are medium sweet, and disguises some of the burley's earthy, nutty and molasses notes. There's also a very subtle cocoa note and a touch of anise among the toppings; perhaps a little coconut, too. The nic-hit is very mild. Won't bite, but can burn a little warm, so I recommend a slow puffing cadence. Burns slightly faster than moderate with a consistent flavor. Needs few relights, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. An all day smoke with a short lived after taste.

This blend is ancient, and I can easily see how the men of yesteryear could puff away on this stuff and feel manly. It is plain, straight tobacco in flavor and burns and packs easily.

This blend is not quite as refined as IR's International mixture, and I found it to be a tad harsh and bitey. Still, if you want an honest, straight forward tobacco taste, give Ko-Ko a shot.

WreckingPress Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WreckingPress (2)

This has been a usual go-to blend for one of my pipes and one of the first non aromatic blends I've stuck with longer than year. That being said, I do enjoy it.

This was the third blend I tried from them and took me a little while to adjust to it. I tend to keep mine on the higher humidity side to keep it from burning too hot. It's very easy to burn yourself on this and is unforgiving to a novice.

I find it's blander and really less aromatic than many burley blends, which tend to be on the aromatic side. Over time my sealed jar of it has developed a faint red wine smell along with a natural nutty aroma. Initially some of the scent lends itself to the flavor but midway through the bowl changes. It does require some pipe cleaners as I get it gurgle halfway down the bowl and end up tossing it 3/4 down.

Is it perfect, no. But when some one says burley blend this became my standard note for a burley. I say give it a shot if you really want a non aromatic burley blend.

Pipe Used: Jirsa bent briar, corncobs

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (66)

This is a pleasant blend. While not my go to blend, I do enjoy a bowl now and then.

It can probably be described as an alternative to some drug store blends, but I think it is a notch or two above that.

Decent tobacco flavor with some licorice flavor (not powerful and fades to the background quickly)

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (17)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I am not a big fan of this blend. I normally like burley based blends but this one tasted flat and offensive to me. I was very disappointed. However, as in all tobaccos YMMV.