One of our oldest blends and still a favorite non-aromatic with a Burley base and IRC special touches. A basic blend for every day smoking.

BrandIwan Ries
Blend TypeBurley Based
FlavoringAnisette, Cocoa / Chocolate, Other / Misc
Packaging50g Pouch
Strength
Taste
2.1

A no-frills burley blend with some Virginia, though it's hard to taste much of the Va. The topping is medium sweet, and disguises some of the burley's nutty and sweet notes. There's also a very subtle cocoa note and a touch of anise. I didn't find it as harsh as some other reviewers. This mixture's been around for many years, and is as good as any regular OTC. For OTC smokers, it's a three star blend, but I have to reluctantly rate it as two stars as it's just not quite a thee star blend for my personal taste.

This blend is ancient, and I can easily see how the men of yesteryear could puff away on this stuff and feel manly. It is plain, straight tobacco in flavor and burns and packs easily.

This blend is not quite as refined as IR's International mixture, and I found it to be a tad harsh and bitey. Still, if you want an honest, straight forward tobacco taste, give Ko-Ko a shot.

WreckingPress Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WreckingPress (2)

This has been a usual go-to blend for one of my pipes and one of the first non aromatic blends I've stuck with longer than year. That being said, I do enjoy it.

This was the third blend I tried from them and took me a little while to adjust to it. I tend to keep mine on the higher humidity side to keep it from burning too hot. It's very easy to burn yourself on this and is unforgiving to a novice.

I find it's blander and really less aromatic than many burley blends, which tend to be on the aromatic side. Over time my sealed jar of it has developed a faint red wine smell along with a natural nutty aroma. Initially some of the scent lends itself to the flavor but midway through the bowl changes. It does require some pipe cleaners as I get it gurgle halfway down the bowl and end up tossing it 3/4 down.

Is it perfect, no. But when some one says burley blend this became my standard note for a burley. I say give it a shot if you really want a non aromatic burley blend.

Pipe Used: Jirsa bent briar, corncobs

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Fazby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fazby (61)

This is a pleasant blend. While not my go to blend, I do enjoy a bowl now and then.

It can probably be described as an alternative to some drug store blends, but I think it is a notch or two above that.

Decent tobacco flavor with some licorice flavor (not powerful and fades to the background quickly)

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (8)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I am not a big fan of this blend. I normally like burley based blends but this one tasted flat and offensive to me. I was very disappointed. However, as in all tobaccos YMMV.

hillbillypalate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hillbillypalate (20)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

If you want your tongue scortch then go ahead smoke koko mixture. this is one of the worst Tobacco you can ever smoke. No matter what you do or smoke it definitley will do some tongue damage.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (163)

This is not a tobacco I can recommend as it is "harsh and bitey", to quote Pipestud.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)

Opening my purchase of Ko-Ko brought back a pleasant memory from my boyhood, when I used to like opening up my grand-dad's can of Half and Half (the original Half and Half, that is, not the Pinkerton product currently on the market) and sniffing that marvelous aroma. Such is the pouch fragrance of Ko-Ko. And that pretty much describes it. It's a straightforward, flavored burley with a few bright flakes, designed to be IRC's upscale answer to the drugstore blends, a niche it's occupied for generations.

The characteristics of the tobacco are typical of the genre. It packs and lights easily, smokes mild and cool, and leaves a pleasant room note. The taste is nutty and slightly sweet. Pack it firmly enough to leave just a slight spring and puff it slowly and evenly, and it will not bite. My overall impression is that Ko-Ko is a solid representative of a typically American style blend, one that's still a favorite with many.

If you like the modern-day versions of Half and Half and Carter Hall, you will probably like Ko-Ko.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I agree with Pipestud. This is one of those blends that has been around for probably as long as the great old Wabash Avenue Ravenswood elevated transit line running adjacent to the venerable Iwan Ries. It's not a blend that will give shivers up and down your spine, but it is a comforting, chewy non-aromatic that you might like to try from time to time. Like Barking Dog, it's always been there, and it has its loyal followers. The taste is mild, the aroma pleasant and characteristic of Iwan Ries, though not as heavy on the licorice as their Three Star blends. It leaves the pipe dry. It's a tobacco you may not love, but you'll never hate. If you're ever in Chicago, you must stop up at Iwan Ries and try a bowl of Ko Ko. No, I don't work for them.