A full-bodied and exceptional RICH NON-AROMATIC for a palate that will appreciate the robust flavors in this blend.

BrandIwan Ries
Strength
Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.9
oldmanpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldmanpipe (62)
Very Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Damtender said that if he were on a desert island, he would have International Blend with him, along with a Bowie knife and Tobasco Sause; he also advised that if one's desert island is large-enough, there are better tobaccos to have along. Amen.

As I said several years ago about another tobacco from another purveyor, "Personally, I'd rather have a carton of Luckies and Mary Anne on a desert island than ANY tobacco I can think of," goes just as well here. And, perhaps, more-so.

International isn't a BAD blend...it's just too much. Another reviewer called it "Barking Dog taken up a few notches." Not so: Barking Dog's mascot was a Boston Terrier: Fitting. International is a Pit Bull with hives. Nothing to taste here, ladies and gentlemen, but Latakia and oblivion.

The smokers of yore must have been made of sterner stuff than I...and I've been smoking a pipe for ...well...damn-near a half-century.

HOWEVER--when International is mixed with 3-Star Blue (according to Chuck at IRC, "50-50, or so...")---'tis very Heaven. Absolutely the most satisfying "crossover" blend I've smoked since I lost my memory...uh...a while ago.

Do not ignore this tobacco! Use it right, and you will be richly rewarded.

Pipe Used: Sasieni, GBD, Chacom

Age When Smoked: Who knows?

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Similar Blends: Blue Boar, "home-spun".

JuanOrez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JuanOrez (7)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a pretty good tobacco but a little bit too close to how I remember cigarettes tasting. If you like a dry simple smoke give this one a try.

Purchased From: IRC

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

IRC website describes this as a full-strength blend of: Burley, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, Oriental. I got a soapy flavor early that settled into good solid tobacco flavors, with a slight background of floral soap (?!). Definitely more medium than strong, with nice spice and pepper notes on the retrohale. Stayed lit and burned down well with no problems. 2+ stars.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: not dated; at least 6 months

Purchased From: IRC

PipeProfessor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipeProfessor (15)

I really enjoy the fullness of this mixture. Good sweet burley with just enough spicyness to keep my attention. If you tired of the drugstore burley's and want something with a nutty flavor and alittle zing, try International Mixture from Iwan Ries.

Husserl08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Husserl08 (2)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a blend of burley, latakia, and perique. It has a spicy, peppery flavor that is supported by a sweet nutty flavor--I might even say that it's subtly floral. This earthy sweetness nicely balances the spiciness that is immediately apparent. This is the only English I have smoked so far, so I have nothing to compare it to, but it's a good smoke.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

To me this would qualify as a 'desert island' necessity in the same vein as a Buck knife, Zippo lighter, an old Jeep and Tobasco sauce. Nothing at all fancy, just a good solid tobacco that does it's job of providing you with a cool smoke and nicotine. If your island will allow a large cellar of varied and exotic blends then leave this at home.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This was obviously not an enjoyable experience for me. I found this blend to be rough and tasteless, with a heavy nicotine pressence. I think Pipestud summed up this blend perfectly.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

International is one of Iwan Ries' oldest in-house blends, and as far as I'm concerned, still one of their best. It's a purely non-aromatic mixture, no toppings to alter the all-tobacco taste. English in character, with flavor derived mostly from orientals, enhanced with a light touch of latakia. The ribbony cut packs and lights easily, and burns steady without harshness or bite. It stays fairly dry and finishes cleanly.

For me, this is a near-perfect everyday smoke that I never seem to tire of, and for a tobacco maverick like me that says a lot. And at it's modest price, it's a good value. I have had tinned mixtures costing much more that I didn't like as well.

CantTest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CantTest (14)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

This is fast becoming one of my favorites. Full taste, no bite, good room note, good nicotine pleasure...relaxing. I would think this is an expensive tobacco, but it only tastes that way. I won't be without this tobacco and will need to reorder soon, as I'm smoking this last order faster than I have any tobacco of recent memory.

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I had a bowl of this and it was good.This is Barking Dog taken up a few notches.A true American English blend ,a lot of burley with a fair amt of Latakia for flavor and depth.Not an everyday blend ,,but good enough a few times a year.It is smooth and flavorful with an interesting Barking Dog quality about it.When you need a reliable smoke without the hoopla this is it. 3 of 4 stars.

Winter pipe fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Winter pipe fan (11)

Here's a favorite in my rotation. I've been smoking Iwan Ries International for over 20 years and I'm amazed at the consistency of the blend. It's one of those blends that I keep coming back to. It has a great earthy aroma in the pouch and I just love the nutty taste and aroma when lighting this mixture. It burns nice and dry and stays lit -pure smoking pleasure well into the bowl. Real tobacco taste - yet a more agreeable, mild and a better day to day smoke than Dunhill 965 or Durbar. If you're a cigar smoker or cigarette smoker making the switch to pipes, try this blend. Look elsewhere if you're a big aromatic fan as this is one of the best, pure unadulterated straight tobacco tasting pipe tobaccos, that I've found. By the way, adding a fine blended or malt Scotch Whisky and your favorite jazz to the equation makes for a great way to end your day. Enjoy!

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I like this the best of the Iwan Ries tobaccos I've tried, all made by Altadis. It is an English blend, but the traditional English components (VA, Latakia, Oriental ?), stay in the background. What is upfront is a very natural, medium in taste but fairly full in body (nicotine) smoke. It has excellent burning qualities and is easy to pack and has no bite whatsoever.

It is monochromatic, though. I find IRC Int. to be the perfect tobacco to blend with wimpy, dark Cavendish dominated aromatics, as long as one doesn't mind a touch of Latakia. My attempts to bolster tasty but punchless aromatics has in the past always been a disaster. The stronger tobaccos (such as sliced rope) always seem to ruin the taste of anything they come in contact with. However IRC Int. blends very well with Lane LL7 and Edward's Supreme, for example, so I have no doubt it will work well with any simliar sweet, darkish aromatic. It is also a good on its own, of course.

If you are a recent convert from the cigarette ranks, this is the perfect tobacco for you. It resembles a qauality cigarette in flavor, and carries enough nicotine wallop to satisfy your cravings.

An honest, pure tobacco taste that fits in when you want no surprises. It burns and packs well too. Give this a try!

Silver Satin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Silver Satin (5)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I recently switched from the aromatics to the non aromatics and I am glad that I did. Has a great taste but a bit too strong for an "early pipe", at least as far as I am concerned. Good amount of spiciness in the beginning then savory as the bowl progresses. A fine smoke.