Iwan Ries

A mixture of light and dark leaf laced with the flavor of fine Kentucky whiskey. Super taste plus super aroma.

BrandIwan Ries
Strength
Taste
2.3
Very Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a perfectly tolerable blend. It is extremely mild,(too mild for me) and it has decent burning characteristics. The flavoring isn't too over the top. All in all, worth a try if you like this sort of thing. There are others in this style I prefer.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco was part of my Altadis free tobacco sampler and I was pleasantly surprised. I've not had good luck with whiskey flavored tobaccos in the past, finding most of them to bite badly and burn hot. CBW did none of these things. It had a nice sweet flavor with an occasional note of the bourbon peeking through. At one point, I thought I caught a quick taste of the Oriental tobacco. The tobacco was extremely moist in the pouch, yet burned surprisingly well. As for value, well, you can't beat free. This is available from Iwan Ries, Mars Cigars, and many other tobacco shops for reasonable prices.

Scoring on China Black Whiskey; flavor- 14 out of 20; lighting and burn- 7 out of 10; value- 8 out of 10. 29 total points earns China Black Whiskey a good * rating. Try it, you might be surprised.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

I tried this blend as it was included in a huge free sampler package from Altadis. I didn't expect much from the tobacco but was pleasantly surprised. It burns cool, doesn't really bite and has a pleasant taste and aroma. Like most American aromatic blends, it is one dimensional. The whiskey flavor is pleasant but not overwhelming. All things considered, it's a decent smoke.

Counselor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Counselor (10)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I received this tobacco in the free three-pack offer in Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine, and I must say the Whiskey was my favorite. Though I now smoke mostly English blends, I started out with aromatics, and enjoy them still now and again. This blend has a typical mild aromatic flavor. I tasted the whiskey off and on throughout the smoke, which was pleasant, and occasionally got a "real" tobacco tatse. The smoke had a bit of spice to it by midway down the bowl, which I appreciated. China Black Whiskey performs admirably outdoors in a good breeze--no tongue bite and just a small amount of wet dottle. All in all, a decent aromatic and a definite crowd-pleaser in the aroma department.

Mild Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My least favorite blend that I received in free sample pack from this company, this stuff burns with a vengeance. It is a step up from Borkum Riff, but that isn't saying much. I defy someone to smoke a bowl of this stuff and regain use of their taste buds in less than a day. It takes a while to heal those little guys after dumping scalding, cheap whiskey on them!

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Very Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Aromatic fans listen up. This tobacco is tasty,spicy and really good. It is black, cased heavily but not sticky sweet. It packs well and lights the first time. It burns well down the bowl and doesn't get wet. The room aroma is outstanding! I have had many ladies tell me that the tobacco smells so good that they would like to have my children. My wife is not a good judge of the tobacco since she is a tobacco nazi,and to her,all tobacco smoke smells like an out-house burning.Yes I smoke out doors and in my truck only.Try this aromatic for a change of pace,it really is a good surprise.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

If you like Borkum Riff Whiskey, then you will love this stuff. It is much more elegant and just as pungent. I suspect aromatic fans will eat this stuff up--I almost did with a spoon!