Iwan Ries

An all light leaf Burley blend with the subtle taste and aroma of vanilla. A cool smoking treat everyone will love!

BrandIwan Ries
ContentsBurley
FlavoringVanilla
Packaging50g Pouch
Where to Buy Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild
1.9

Better than a drugstore aromatic but nothing great. It left a coating in my mouth I did not like. Smells good and that is it. there are better choices out there.

Old Schoolr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Schoolr (12)
Strong Mild Mild Pleasant

Another blend from the Altadis sampler; I haven't seen this one locally. I'm an aromatic fan & thought this might be a "light beer" version of MacBaren's Vanilla Cream Flake in a pouch form. Opening the pouch the tobacco wasn't the black & brown slightly sticky tobacco I expected after sampling other China Black blends. The stringy, brown tobacco was easy to pack & stayed light. I normally won't report on a blend until I've finished at least one purchase (tin or pouch). The exceptions to this rule have been Mixture 79 & China Black Vanilla Burley. The Mixture due to it's foulness but this blend I haven't finished for other reasons. Not that this is bad but I can't take it anymore. This blend gets bitter rather quickly regardless of the pipe I use or the packing method. The worst of it though, is that I get the most terrible heartburn while smoking this blend. I've tried it on an empty stomach, full stomach, late in the day or in the morning; I consistently get heartburn & run for a Pepcid. I guess it's something in my body chemistry. There isn't much in the way of flavor to this one either.

renoguard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
renoguard (17)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have a little story about this stuff. When I First got married, I was between jobs. I was a cigarette smoker. I was out of money and cigarettes and had an old Dr. Grabow, which I can't remember where I got it. I was taking cigarette butts out of my ashtray and putting them into this pipe (YUK!!). After doing some odd jobs and some money, I decided to try some "real" tobacco (although I have dabbeled in it a few years before).

I went down to this local "stop and rob" and saw what they had. I saw China Black on sale 2 for the price of 1 and I figured that was a deal. I got them and enjoyed them. After finding steady work, I was trying different drugstore blends, and still smoking cigarettes. I smoked it here and there, trying different stuff. I was smoking other blends and didn't see China Black around anymore.

As of a few years ago, I totally gave up cigarettes (2001) and now smoke only pipes and cigars.

Just a couple of years ago, I found some of this stuff at a local smoke shop and tried it again. Perhaps I have become a bit of a snob, since I wasn't as impressed by it as I was at 23. It just wasn't what I remembered.

Anyway That's my little story, Hope you stayed awake.

This is a wannabe Cpt Black. I used to like this when I was low on cash and they had 2 for 1 sales on this. This was when I just started seriuos pipe smoking, in 1996 (although I dabbeled in it for several years prior).

It was difficult to keep lit. Most of the flavor was gone halfway down the bowl. WHAT WAS I THINKING!!??

aadelma Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
aadelma (55)
Medium Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Yet another awful blend from the ALTADIS sampler. It starts out pleasant enough, but quickly induces tongue bite. By 1/2 bowl, I had to dump it out as it tasted like an ashtry. I've sampled about 1/2 dozen of the blends in the ALTADIS sampler and this will be the last as I've thrown the lot of them away. If this were the only type of tobacco available, I would give up smoking. The frustrating aspect is that many of them (IRC Blue, Fox & Hound, etc.) have the potential to be good, but the base tobaccos are of such poor quality that they are unsmokable. As the saying goes, you can't polish a turd.

Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is pretty good for a vanilla pouch tobac. Behaves very well in the pipe. Nice aroma. Worth a shot if you are looking for an inexpensive vanilla blend.

EconoPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EconoPipe (15)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

I was immediately drawn to the aroma of this vanilla as it was very noticeable through the wrapped pouch. I quicky bought it. At $4.19 a pouch it was a reasonably priced tobacco. But if you factor in that I got bought it in a buy on get one free double pack I got a screaming bargain. I went home with high hopes for this tobacco. After unsealing the pouch I was presented with a strong scent of vanilla that I would say definitely was bordering on overpowering. It smelled more like a air freshener than a pipe tobacco with not a hint of tobacco aroma to be found. Upon sticking my fingers in to pack my bowl I was greeted with a sopping wet mess. This has so much flavoring on it that it was actually sticky from the casing. Packing was a little hard due to the wetness. Lighting was just a plain chore. Due to the wetness, this took my several tries to light and a few relights to keep lit. The flavor was very overpowering. I set this one aside and finished one of the pouches over a 4 month period only smoking it occasionally to see if drying it out helped. Finally about the last quarter had about the correct moisture to it and it wasn?t half bad. Actually it was quite enjoyable. I looked at the other pouch of the two pack and it seems to have the same moisture level but you can still see the syrup like casing on the pouch like it was soaking in it which I am pretty sure it was. I have mixed feelings about this tobacco. I enjoyed it once it dried out a bit but without drying it out it is horrible. I would say I cannot recommend this as there are too many good Vanillas like Prince Albert Soft Vanilla, Captain Black White, Middleton?s Gold and Mild and even Smoker?s Pride Vanilla, that are consistently good right out of the pouch without the need to dry out or anything to do other than pack, lite, relax. Plus All but Captain Black White are cheaper, and easier to find too boot. If you like vanilla flavored pipe tobacco try one of my other recommendations if you didn?t already. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Mild Very Strong Very Mild Tolerable

This was another blend I recieved in a free sample pack from this company. I have to say it still just isn't my style. The burley here is of the cheap kind that I abhor, and the flavoring was way too much. The relights have the typical cheap burley sourness to them and although it burned cooler than the other blends, it will still give your mouth blisters. It would help if you could dry this blend out, but it just ain't happenin'. If you want a better vanilla choice, try Captain Black White label. P.S. For a vanilla blend, the room note isn't very good!

Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In the China Black series,this is my least favorite. I found it to be overly flavored with vanilla. Burley, of course, takes kindly to flavorings, and they sure gave the burley a bath with this blend.

Like the other CB's, this is a cool smoke that doesn't produce too much moisture. Your pipe will not be dry after the smoke, but you won't be able to swim down in there either.

Aromatic fans, rejoice, this should pop your corn!

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Strictly for the smoker who likes a mild vanilla taste with a light spice hit. Unlike other reviewers, I did detect a burley note here and there after a while. Burns well, but leaves some moisture at the bottom of the bowl. No bite. Not a very special blend, but it's not bad either. I prefer the IR China Black Fire Cured, though this will do if you're out of CBFC.

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

i purchased this blend at a buy one get one free kind of offering. being an aromatic smoker who wouldn't mind cheap tobacco i gave this one a go. the tobacco is one the dry side and the smell off the pouch is like smelling a custard powder right off the can. however, that dosent translate into the taste nor to the room note to be honest. it delivers an acceptable aroma with a taste that represent vanilla in a rough way (i tasted better!). it burns dry and clean with a little bit of harshness on the mouth. is it recommended well that is very subjective, as i cant tolerate mixture 79 yet many adore that blend. i would say that it wasn't a pleasurable journey but i gave it a 2 star for the burning quality and the cheap price.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Very Mild Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

A low-lite falling into my waste basket from Iwan Ries & Co. called "China Black Vanilla." The tip off should have been the "Buy 1 Get 1 Free" pouches. 2 - 3oz. packs for $6.00. It was kind of like having your teeth drilled for a filling with a lazer torch and the gap stuffed with vanilla flavored "Ben Gay" ointment.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

I got two pouches for the price of one ($3.19)so the price war right!This stuff has a great pouch aroma, packs and lights easy. No bite at all here. Very consistant and well behaved.

The vanilla casing is just enough and NOT overly applied. Smooth and buttery. A well behaved aromatic that burns to a dry ash, never gooping up the bowl. The Orientals make themselves known about mid bowl and play nicely with the burley and vanilla casing. This is an excellent smoke available in a 16 ounce tin on the Iwan Ries website. I highly recommend this.

akaiser77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
akaiser77 (52)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

China Black Vanilla Burley is exactly what it's name implies: vanilla-flavored burley. It also includes Orientals, but they play a subsidiary role in the smoke.

The leaf is a little stringy in the pouch (which comes in a package of two for the price of one), but packs easily and lights easily as well. This is a remarkably biteless tobacco, and I find it a vast improvement over the likes of drugstore crap like Captain Black and even "high-end" aromatics like the abominable Captain Cool. I always know what to expect with this blend, and I'm never disappointed.

I don't find the casing overly applied, unlike my fellow reviewers. This is a smooth, well-mannered aromatic, sure to please those around you, and it burns to a dry ash, never gooping up one's pipe. I find the Orientals emerge only after the first third of the bowl, and they merge nicely with the burley and vanilla flavors. This is not "complex," as so many of us here seem to think every tobacco must be. But it has a delicious flavor and a pleasant aroma, and if it had "Dunhill" written on the tin, I'll bet it would be getting some rave reviews.

We can't be gourmets all the time, and when the gourmand in us needs satisfaction, things like China Black Vanilla Burley have a noble and economical role to play in the pipe smoking world. This is an excellent pipe tobacco in its genre, available in a one-pound tin for $17.00 at the Iwan Ries website, and I recommend it highly.