Sailors and land-lubbers alike will appreciate the complexity of Mystic Blend. Nine separate tobaccos are blended in a harmony so perfect only a true Mystic's touch could have concocted this medium bodied, English masterpiece. Named in honor of Mystic Seaport, Ct., present day berth of Capt. Earle's Lady of the Sea, the Charles W. Morgan.

BrandHermit
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Full

Miyanovich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Miyanovich (12)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I am a man, and I am not ashamed to say that my heart belongs to Captain Earle. Rich, full,hearty, juicy, spicy, sweet,and salty. Hermit blends, via Cornell and Diehl, own my soul. The very smell of the pressed bricks in the tin excite me to the marrow. Nothing finer in my book. I cannot say anything that I haven't already said. Mystic is just under Ten Russians, and tied with Nightwatch. 3.75 stars....it would be 4 stars if it weren't for my opinion that Ten Russians is the most a$$ kicking, tasty man-smoke in the universe.

I will have no problems stocking up on Mystic.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Mystic has, like the other's in the Captian Earl's series I have tried thus far, a full dose of Latakia. It is dark, earthy, rich, smoky and slightly sweet. If you enjoy Latakia and enjoy cake tobacco than Mystic fits the bill. Mystic is another cool burning, quality blend from Hermit.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I have tried several of Hermit tobacco blends now and think I have come up with a theme. Every blend has several different tobaccos (this one nine) but the majority of flavoring comes from the stout Latakia. This blend is no exception. While the tin note is very leathery you can smell some Virginia and possibly some Perique, it takes a good pallet to really sort it out while smoking. Another theme that really pleases me with Hermit tobacco is their moisture content is almost perfect. The tobacco burns very well and required only one relight. It also smoked quite cool to my relief I smoked it in a freshly reamed pipe. As far as taste of this blend, if you are not an ardent Latakia lover, stay away. I loved the smoky taste and the light undertones of Virginia but was left wanting for more subtleties in the blend. The Virginia was rich and slightly sweet but tended towards the earthy side. As far as the room note... for get it, no wives allowed in proximity, but your smoking friends will scoot closer to get a better whiff. Overall Hermit has some better blends but this one is not too bad.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I like latakia, but I am not a latakia lover, and I usually like it best as a condiment rather than the main course. To me this is a predominantly latakia mixuture. It comes in a pressed cake in the style used for several Cornell & Diehl tobaccos. It is very dark and crumbly and slightly moist. There is absolutely no harshness or bite in this blend. It is smooth, pronounced latakia from start to finish. The tin says it is a blend of nine of the world's finest tobaccos, but I tasted only latakia. And it does become slightly bitter towards the end of the bowl. If you are a latakia lover, you might go for this in a big way. I will probably keep a little on hand to smoke from time to time as a change of pace. Paddy.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have just finished my first tin of Mystic. I tend to either really like Jay's blends or just plain hate them (I could not smoke a full bowl of Midnight Lace). Mystic Blend was one of the "likes." I usually smoke a group 1 sized bowl during the day for a quick break at work, and not many English blends will work properly in such a small pipe. This one does.

It starts out with a quick and easy light, usually one match to a bowl. The leathery base note of the latakia develops right away, and, even in such a short time as the tiny pipe affords, there is a pleasing complexity of fullness, smoky earthiness, and a slightly herbal flavor which alternate all the way down the ten-minute smoke. I noted a rather cool and dry character all the way through, and my 14 dollar meerschaum smelled fresh ten minutes later.

On a slightly down note, the cakes which seemed so intriguing at first left me with far too much unsmokable dust at the bottom of the can. On the whole, though, a pleasant English for a quick break.

UPDATE: Just finishing a tin that's 8 or 10 years old. I'd swear I tasted all nine of the tobaccos at one puff or another - still the lat-bomb I love every now & then. Love it.

Pipe Used: Same old cheap meer

Age When Smoked: 8 yrs?

Purchased From: Jay, fondly remembered.

Similar Blends: Lat-bombs of all sorts, but a bit more subtlety with age..

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This has quickly become my favorite Hermit blend.The last batch I got was pressed with two small bricks of tobacco up-right in the tin.This is a very nice change of pace from the 965 I smoke most often.I was surprised at the mixed reviews this blend has recieved.I know of at least three members of my pipe club that swear by it.It's not as over powering as 965,but it is rich and full.If your tastes lean toward the english blends do try this tobacco without wait... Highly Recommended! prep

Minz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Minz (10)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I just had one of those rare smokes where one match took care of the whole deal. Didn't even realize it until I had tapped out my pipe. I had to run an errand tonight. Tucked the kids into bed, kissed my wife as she slept and loaded up a nice Radice apple, one of their twin bores. In the car, I grabbed my matches. Onlt one left! No worrie, I have a pack in my pocket. Nice charring light a quick tam with my finger and back at it with the match.

The smoke was smooth and warm on this cold Ohio evening. The latikia making its presense know right off the bat. This is a nice even blend. Nothing too exciting. Not somthing that one has to concentrate on to get the most out of it. My bud left the cigar boxes on his front porch for me - my wife is doing a craft with some grade schooler: cigar box purses - and I'd barly even stared my smoke.

So I stop in at a local pub to finish my bowl. I quit puffing for a minute as I enter, unsure of their smoking policy. A few folks were smoking cigarettes at the bar so I knew it was ok. Much to my surprise the pipe is still going! Puffing away with a nice Pete's Wicked, the orientals start to chime in. Bring a bit of an astringent taste to the fore. Latakia still present, but not front and center as with the beginning of the pipe.

Finished my beer and I'm off for home. The Virgina starts to show itself about now. The last few puff on my doorstep are sweet, the Virginias really coming into their own. A very nice ending.

All in all a very enjoyable smoke. Burned clean down to the bottom leaving a nice gray ash. Nothing as complex as Renasaince where I feel like I'm missing out if I don't pay close attention to the smoke. Not a complex some but again very good. I need to get myself some more of this.

Just a side note - It'd be neat if we had an area here to discuss the virtues and attributes of out pipes here too.

=)

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a good blend, but not outstanding. It comes in the form of a crumblecake and smells very complex, but I do not believe that all blends benefit from being pressed.This is one of those blends that I would have liked to smoke before it was pressed. It is primarily dark brown in the tin with a light speck here and there. It crumbles fairly easy and the moisture is perfect. Lighting was about a four vesta job, but after that you shouln't need to re-light. I tried this in a group 6 ring grain poker that smokes crumble cake blends the best for me. The flavor is not as rich and complex as you would think by the blurb about "Nine different tobaccoes". It tastes like a good "english" blend. It reminds me of "London Mixture" and maybe a toned down "Margate". The room note is fairly strong and may scare non-smokers away, so use discretion. You can definitely taste the Latakia in this and at least to my palate I detected both Syrian and Cyprian types and of course there is a very light touch of perique(just enough to tickle you once in a while). I believe the virginia and turkish are smothered in this blend and are too much in the background IMO. The nicotine is medium strength whic is fine by me. It leaves a mottled dark, dry ash when you are done. Again, this is a good blend, but there are others out there that peak my interest more. Rating 4 out of 5 points. Enjoy...

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)

A decent latakia blend , but not very unique IMO . It reminds me of several other blends on the market . It would be an excellent addition to the rotation of someone looking to add a latakia blend . My rotation is already full of tobaccos that taste similar to this one so my interest in it is little . It's a fine tobacco , but not outstanding .