Captain Earle's Private Stock is rich in Latakia and red Virginia. A blend of eight selected all natural tobaccos, blended for the most discriminating palate of today's and tomorrow's connoisseur pipe smoking aficionado.

BrandHermit
Blended ByCornell & Diehl
Blend TypeOther
ContentsCavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Now this is an English style blend with some strength! The Latakia, orientals and Turkish leaf far overshadow the Perique, but there is plenty of action going on once you light up Private Stock. For some reason, I enjoyed this one most sitting out on the back patio with a Dos Equis.

irishpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishpiper (8)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Smoked from a freshly opened tin, this blend seemed a bit overpowering at first. Not that I did not enjoy it, quite the contrary. It was not harsh or bitter, just STRONG and with a WAKE-UP dose of nicotine. After aging for two months, and having dried a bit, I tried it again this morning. What an improvement! Smoked in an old "Pete" lovat, it was excellent. I personally enjoy crumble cake tobaccos, and the smell that accompanies the process of breaking off a hunk, and rubbing it between thumb and forefinger over the waiting bowl. It took three matches to get it going, then burned without issue, and modest tamping, to the bottom of the bowl. Aged, the nicotine kick was more subdued, but definitely present. The sweet aroma of caramel, oak and leather shows careful blending of the virginias and latakia. Perfect for a crisp fall morning! Recommended.

This blend is very smooth and well rounded. Perhaps too much so. Evidently many of the components are married by the process of manufacturing the crumble cake making it difficult for me to discern some of them. I got mostly Latakia and Oriental, with a very mild amount of Virginia flavor. As I said earlier, very smooth with no sharpness or edginess, but with a fair amount of spice. The spice seemed to be Oriental but I suppose some may have been from the Perique that I had difficulty detecting. What was most appealing to me was the flavor that developed toward the end of the bowl. The delicious flavor of strong black coffee. A very nice finish.

Pipe Used: MM General

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a classic red VA and Latakia blend that really makes a great all day every day smoke. At light the red Virginia tobacco gives it a bit of sweetness and a nice full body, as the bowl progresses the Latakia becomes more pronounced, giving it a smoky leathery taste. It smokes quite cool and has many layers to indulge your taste buds.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

I just don't find this interesting. I initially tried this tin a year ago and I made some notes that said: "spice builds & Burley shows in the last 1/2 bowl , needs 6 months of cellar"!!!! Well, it's been a year, and I just retried the tin with some similar results. I know, Burley is not listed , but in the second half of the pipe it sure tastes like a strong Burley component. Orientals are covered up and the latakie just doesn't "sing". Really not much sweetness either. I like my blends with more sweetness and less spice ( Perique) . I do think it is high in "N" but I find this a bland blend. I keep searching for flavor. I've got to go against the crowd, and won't buy again . I actually like Ten Russians better, but not by much, I guess I'm not "tomorrow's connoisseur pipe smoking aficionado".

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Fantastic, very full and rich blend. It is one of the best experience I had in my over of thirthy years of pipe smoking. This tobacco is excellent in every time of day...

My rate: 5.0

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)

Sailing with the captian is a pleasure indeed. The crumble cake is easier to deal wioth that a plug and delivers that great married flavor. High quailty English and a Latakia dream.

Flyboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Flyboy (39)

One of my favorite early evening blends from the fine folks at Hermit Tobacco Works. The red Va`s are in command initially, and must be pampered untill cruising altitude is reached. About 1/2 way thru the flight the Latakia decides to take control and IMO makes this blend shine! Before landing is when this tobak is most flavorful! Many thanks to J./ Louise and their fine tobaccos for pleasant journeys!