Our Classic English blend has a special place in the heart of our Master Blender, Glynn, and which is very closely related to his first ever tobacco mélange, which we call Nottingham Blend, a tobacco which has fans around the world and gave Glynn his first hands-on experience of making a tobacco. This differs slightly from the original, with brown instead of Black Cavendish and higher proportion of cigar leaf; beginning with a steady and deep foundation of Rich Kentucky and stoved Virginias, a few brighter flue-cured Virginias are added for that little extra sweetness and to help keep the tobacco burning. The use of Brown Cavendish adds a creamy, almost woody, over tone to these complex flavours. The blend is finally finished off with a good handful of Latakia for that distinct "English" taste and aroma. To finish, after the tobaccos have been allowed to settle and marry up, a small amount of cigar filler and binder tobaccos are added for an extra hint of spice. This produces a Classic English blend that we see as our flagship tobacco.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Contents Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Tolerable to Strong
Coltrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrain (8)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Now to preface this review I have been searching for a blend to smoke in the evening, a true nightcap (as I'm sure we can all agree the Dunhill's Nightcap possesses the strength but not the body to match), and then I came to try Glynn's Classic English.

I am a fan of Glynn's blends, anyone who tries them is, but I will try to remain as impartial as possible.

Out of the pouch it smells like an English heaven. Rich and powerful. Perfect consistency, mixed cut and it packs easily. First light reveals an amazingly woody smoke flowing into my mouth (cigar leaf). This fades a bit after a few puffs and a tamp. Now the smoke is a beaitiful balance of wood, smokiness, cream and a hint of spice in the background. Cigar leaf in blends normally goes without note in a smoke but wow Glynn knows his stuff. On it's own this would be a good english but with the cigar leaf, holy mother of god. The body is full, flavor coats the palate and leaves you satisfied with every puff. The strength is for me built slowly until I was almost drunk from nicotine. Perfect for putting you to sleep.

This is a true nightcap blend. I urge everyone to try it if you can get your hands on it.

Pipe Used: Peterson System 302