Our Classic English blend has a special place in the heart of our Master Blender, Glynn, and which is very closely related to his first ever tobacco mélange, which we call Nottingham Blend, a tobacco which has fans around the world and gave Glynn his first hands-on experience of making a tobacco. This differs slightly from the original, with brown instead of Black Cavendish and higher proportion of cigar leaf; beginning with a steady and deep foundation of Rich Kentucky and stoved Virginias, a few brighter flue-cured Virginias are added for that little extra sweetness and to help keep the tobacco burning. The use of Brown Cavendish adds a creamy, almost woody, over tone to these complex flavours. The blend is finally finished off with a good handful of Latakia for that distinct "English" taste and aroma. To finish, after the tobaccos have been allowed to settle and marry up, a small amount of cigar filler and binder tobaccos are added for an extra hint of spice. This produces a Classic English blend that we see as our flagship tobacco.

BrandGQ Tobaccos
Blended ByGlynn Quelch
Manufactured ByGlynn Quelch
Contents Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Virginia
CutMixture
Strength
Medium, Strong
Taste
Full
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The smokey, woodsy, slightly sweet latakia is almost the predominant flavor, but it allows the other components to have their say. The cigar leaf is woody, earthy, mildly spicy, and a little more obvious at the front end than the finish, though you’ll always taste it. The brown cavendish offers a few slight honey and creamy notes. The Kentucky is a minor addition, but you’ll notice it from time to time. The flue-cured, stoved Virginias act mainly as a base for the other ingredients, but are a little grassy and naturally sweet. Full of flavor and strength with a little sharpness and complexity, it does not overwhelm the smoker as some lat-bombs will, and this isn’t a lat-bomb anyway. Burns perfectly with lots of billowing smoke, very little moisture and few relights. Recommended for experienced smokers, I also suggest using a pipe with a wide bowl for this mixture. It has the highest smokey, camp fire quality of the GQ blends I have tried.

Coltrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrain (8)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Now to preface this review I have been searching for a blend to smoke in the evening, a true nightcap (as I'm sure we can all agree the Dunhill's Nightcap possesses the strength but not the body to match), and then I came to try Glynn's Classic English.

I am a fan of Glynn's blends, anyone who tries them is, but I will try to remain as impartial as possible.

Out of the pouch it smells like an English heaven. Rich and powerful. Perfect consistency, mixed cut and it packs easily. First light reveals an amazingly woody smoke flowing into my mouth (cigar leaf). This fades a bit after a few puffs and a tamp. Now the smoke is a beaitiful balance of wood, smokiness, cream and a hint of spice in the background. Cigar leaf in blends normally goes without note in a smoke but wow Glynn knows his stuff. On it's own this would be a good english but with the cigar leaf, holy mother of god. The body is full, flavor coats the palate and leaves you satisfied with every puff. The strength is for me built slowly until I was almost drunk from nicotine. Perfect for putting you to sleep.

This is a true nightcap blend. I urge everyone to try it if you can get your hands on it.

Pipe Used: Peterson System 302

Purchased From: www.gqtobaccos.com

Granny Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Granny Smith (21)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

In the pouch this had the aroma of most of the English blends I've smoked and it had a pretty decent punch of nicotine, but I wouldn't rank this among my favorite English blends. Firstly there was an earthy taste, almost cloying taste that I wasn't that keen on - maybe this was the cigar leaf - and I found the Latakia (easily my favourite tobacco leaf) to be pretty subdued. I like many of GQ's bends and I don't dislike this one but I don't think this would rank among my favourite smokes. Still it's a decent smoke and certainly satisfied in the nicotine department.

Pipe Used: Peterson silver spigot

Purchased From: GQ Tobacco

I get cigar leaf predominately with this blend,with Latakia rearing its head from time to time throughout the bowl.A nice background sweetness. Good English blend,but I miss my orientals.Turkish Izmir features in many of Glynn's other blends,and I find myself missing it when smoking this. The cigar leaf,should attract the cigar smokers amongst us.I could live without it. A well executed blend and any English fan should love this.

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Pipesmoking101 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesmoking101 (36)

I'm not really one for short reviews, but this one will be the exception that proves the rule. This blend is good, it is a very standard English mixture. Take every English Mixture you've ever smoked, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly. Add them all together & divide by their number. You will reach a mean average. This blend IS that average. As I love English blends, I like this tobacco. Sure, it's no Tree Mixture, nor an Old Dublin, but it's up there, holding its' own. A solid English mixture, and comes as a highly recommended 3 stars, not as good as the 'Elite' English blends, but a lot better than the poor ones, and marginally better than most of those in between. Room Note, Pouch note etc., can all be defined as the mean average of every other English blend you've ever smoked, but not in a bad way. I will note that the cigar leaf did not seem to enhance the smoke for me really. It didn't detract from it at all, but was not particularly noticeable either.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky 68, Stanwell Rhodesian

Purchased From: GQ Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965, Peterson - Old Dublin, Robert Lewis - Tree Mixture.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

GQ Tobaccos Classic English. This has such a deep aroma un-lit, slightly smoky, a little woodsy, with a tiny amount of spiciness. The water content is perfect, to be honest I have found most GQ blends have this quality. Once lit the different flavours of tobacco collaborate together in a brilliant fashion. Personally, I find the Latakia to be light in the mix, it's not overly noticeable, I only get it here and there. The rest of the tobaccos seem well balanced, granted, to get a particular flavour you have to know what you're looking for as to pick it out but it's not at all as daunting and crowded as some blends can be. This carries a healthy amount of "N", it's not one to annihilate your head but also it won't suit the faint hearted! The burn with Classic English is well behaved from the word 'go', it doesn't need much time with the flame to get it going and then once it's lit it's not a blend that requires too much attention, a nice sit back and chill out smoke! The room note is pleasing but it does generate quite a bit of actual smoke in the room so I think it possibly won't be good around lots of people! I think Classic English an ideal tobacco for 'proper smokers', it's not too ostentatious, has a great depth of flavour, carries a good "N" amount and is deeply satisfying. Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meerschaum