BrandErin Go Bragh
Packaging1.5 oz Pouch
Strength
Taste

2.5

A tasty Irish Whiskey that's fairly one dimensional, but who cares? You're buying this for the whiskey flavor, which is dialed perfectly to please. Not overwhelming, but just rich enough to satisfy. I had no issues with how it burned, and smoked it to the end with no wetness or dottle, though I do not recommend puffing it like a steam engine. I was not expecting it to be this good, and was happily surprised when it was. I really don't think it's quite a four star blend (I'd have given it three and half stars if I could have), but for those who are looking for inexpensive Irish Whiskey blend, you can very easily do worse.

kingjj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kingjj (9)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

As someone with a weakness for Bushmills, I decided to give Erin Go Bragh pipe blend a shot, as it seems folks are generally fond of their stogies (which I've yet to try).

Pouch note is downright edible. You can smell the whiskey, but also something much sweeter, like cake. I was honestly torn between smoking or eating it. The room note is sweet and pleasant, but a bit on the heavy side.

As with most whiskey cased blends, Erin Go Bragh can be a tongue scorcher, especially on lighting, but mellows as you get further into the bowl. It also burns really, really wet. So the last quarter can have a lot of gurgle and be a challenge to keep lit.

The flavor is where Erin Go Bragh shines, and while it's a tad one-dimensional it's a pretty great dimension. A super smooth and creamy combination of the whiskey, vanilla, and carmel. Like it's casing, it goes down easy, with just the right amount of sweetness.

As stated, it won't knock you out with it's complexity or vitamin N content (although it does sport a decent amount), but it does deliver a mild, mellow, and pretty satisfying smoke. Something that's welcome after a hard day's work -- with a glass of Irish whiskey, perhaps...

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Drinkless

Age When Smoked: Brand New

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (139)

This is a very tasty aromatic that burns cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl. Mostly Virginia, with a little burley and a touch of black Cavendish. The whiskey flavor is just right and not overdone. Aromatic smokers will love it and the rest of us will enjoy it as a change of pace. A one dimensional smoke but excellent in it's own right.

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (13)

A decent smoke that burns fairly cool for an aromatic. It also burns well. The taste is not overpowering but remains pleasant. Out of the pouch, the smell of whiskey that may have been used as a topping is notable; however, after lighting, this blend has a milder taste. For the money, this is an excellent buy that I would recommend for anyone interested in whiskey themed tobaccos. There are blends that cost far more that are not worth half as much.

Pipe Used: Graco Duet

Troy_nov1965 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Troy_nov1965 (3)

Decent smoke , taste like a good whiskey and smells good but be careful it will fry your tongue , even gravity packed an slow sipping it got me. I would not recomend for a beginner.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum corncob

Purchased From: http://wvsmokeshop.com/

Robdlouisville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robdlouisville (6)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

If you read the reviews by jiminxx and kinjj and a few of the others, my sentiment are exact to theirs. This is easy to smoke, good mild flavor, easy to light, stays lit. It did not burn my tongue at all like Borkum riff has a tendency to do. But we all smoke differently, so you might not agree with me. I usually smoke english, balkan or old time half and half. This is a nice flavor to change off a bit.

Pipe Used: straight medium bowl

Purchased From: pipesandcigars .com

Similar Blends: Borkum Riff I think.

Bricky Craig Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bricky Craig (2)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Strong

I was not pleased with this blend. On opening the pouch the trademark Whiskey smell was quite pungent indeed as was expected. Having crested a few blends myself with this ideal beverage I was looking for a quick and pleasant introduction to the commercial variety. I dried some and packed an old MM Legend and upon lighting was greeted with an awful soapy Lakeland type flavor that just got worse on top of the tangy finish of Irish Whiskey. This pipe load and one more college try was enough for me to send this pouch to the boiling bin for awfully bad pouch tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Purchased From: Cigar Bid

Similar Blends: Ivory soap.

Bazsup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bazsup (13)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this in a group purchase of several tobaccos for a discounted price. It scorched my tongue on the first try but either I got use to it or it eased up as it dried out.

As it burned less I liked it more. I guess that goes without saying but I already said it. The whiskey flavor mellowed out and by the end of the pouch I was sorry it was gone.

It is sweet but not sickeningly so. I've read that it has gunked up at the end of the smoke for others but I didn't seem to have much of a problem with that.

Over al I enjoyed the smoke but I don't think it will become a regular on my rotation. My rotation consists of Carter Hall followed by Carter Hall.

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (14)

I thought pouch tobaccos weren't supposed to be tasty, non-biting, easy burning, yada, yada, yada and so on. This stuff was in a large sampler from P&C and well, wasn't real high on the priority list to try. I tried this thinking ok, once I scorch my tongue and have a typical bad experience, especially with a whiskey flavor, I can have an I told you so moment and chunk it and not be out that much. Gosh was I wrong! I ended up enjoying it so much that I went ahead and ordered 6 pouches from CI @ 2.49 a pouch. It was such a pleasant smoke that it has earned a permanent spot in my rotation. It burns clean and tastes wonderfully balanced; not too liquorey, if that's a word, or too sweet. It was just super delicious, to me anyways. I've tried Borkum Who? and it left me sad, crisped tongued, and not wanting any more whiskey cased tobacco. For the money you can't go wrong taking a chance on this "pouch" goodness. For my money and smoking pleasure this sure hits the mark and the spot!

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: Fresh pouch

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Certainly not the "Riff".

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (34)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great blend in all aspects. It smokes cool, it tastes great, it has a good room note, and the price is awesome! I got it in a sampler from P&C, and I must admit that I really wasn't looking forward to trying it at first. I've never been a fan of whiskey blends because they always burned too hot or tasted like burning charcoal. When I opened the pouch, I was immediately greeted with a mellow whiskey aroma. The tobacco itself was a mixed cut that was densely packed in the pouch. It was at just the right moisture as well - no drying necessary, which is rare for a cheap aromatic. It packed wonderfully into a cob.

It lights on one match. The flavor is rather one-dimensional, but isn't that why you smoke whiskey blends anyway? I got some interesting notes: nuts, wood smoke, a hint of dried fruit, maple syrup. It was a great smoke! I can taste burley in this blend very well. Overall, I would recommend it for anyone looking for a good aromatic that provides a change of pace at a bargain price. I'll keep some around.

Pipe Used: MM cob, various briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh, aged 3 months

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (20)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

I purchased a pouch of this as a kind of "what the heck" buy. After having smoked several bowls I can say it's pretty good. I'm usually not big on aromatics but this is done fairly nicely. It's rather one dimensional and the topping doesn't come through in the smoke that much but for just a few bucks what do you excpect. It's easy to light and stays that way. I was able to puff slow or fast really no difference. Other reviewers have mentioned tounge bite but it never happened for me. I probably would not purchase again just because it's not my normal type of smoke but I will finish this pouch and enjoy doing so.

Pipe Used: MM cob

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (13)

It... didn't suck. I'm not a huge fan of flavored aromatics but I do love whiskey so I thought I'd give it a go and... it didn't suck. It still had a bit of an unpleasant, chemical taste and tends to tongue bite if you don't pay attention.

I've honestly yet to find a really great whiskey-topped toby and this is no exception.