A blend of aged American Burleys and Virginias, this blend is topped lightly with cognac to enhance its natural flavor. It is exceptionally smooth and mild.

Blended BySutliff Tobacco Company
FlavoringCognac
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat)
1.0
The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (27)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I recently developed a nostalgia for the old Borkum Riff Cognac tobacco, long unavailable in the US. It was one of my favorites in the 70s, so I searched for cognac topped tobaccos and found this. They both use(d) burley and virginia in a ribbon cut topped with cognac.

Unlike the Borkum Riff, there is very little bite. As near as I can remember (after forty years) the room notes are similar--both pleasant.

Simplicity, though, is as close to being flavorless and undistinguished as a tobacco can be. There is no nicotine in Simplicity, unlike in the BR. There is little tobacco flavor, whereas there was at least some in the BR. I can neither smell nor taste cognac in Simplicity. I did with BR. At least it will not ghost a pipe.

I guess it is possible that I got a sample that had lost its topping. I gather that, since I'm the first to review this and it ranks as the 325th most popular bulk at smokingpipes.com, this is not a much sought-after smoke.

Bottom line--Simplicity is a weak blend. I can think of no group to which it will appeal. There's not enough aromatic quality to it to attract those smokers, nor is there enough tobacco flavor or nicotine to attract others.

On to other cognac blends.

Not recommended.