All our twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler is again, predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos. Same as Black Twist but "the brown form"... comes straight from the spinning machine, instead of undergoing a further process of cooling under pressure to turn it into black tobacco.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
PackagingBulk - Precut coins
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full

Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth Sliced Brown Twist . The first thing I think upon opening this is "wow , what a strong smell" , granted it is not a false aromatic smell , only a VERY strong Virginia smell , an area where this ones score abates a little is that it is a touch damp so some airing time would avail this one well , but being impetuous (as ever) I decide to just employ a little extra hard work with the flame and to be impartial it lights relatively well . Once lit I find the burn to be not at all intemperate in speed , pretty steady . The ash left by this one is pure white , possibly the whitest I have seen . Now , the smoke ... the temperature of it is a good one , it doesn't really bite me and it is of a thick construction . I don't get any underlying flavours of any kind , all I get is a very pure Virginia taste , which to be fair becomes a little tedious after a while , but that is more subjective ! Room note , again it is pure Virginia but not particularly heavy as you would expect . To be succinct , if you like Virginia then why in hell haven't you tried this ? !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth Curly Cut Deluxe.

A.E. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A.E. (22)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

I'd read about the strength of this tobacco and decided to try it. I enjoy full tobacco flavors, though have grown to prefer elegant and complex blends rather than simple "cowboy" tobacco. Upon receiving the 4 ozs I ordered, I smelled the pouch and sampled a bowl. Sure enough, it smelled and tasted strongly of pure unadulterated natural tobacco. No elegance here. The first puffs rang my head, raced my heart, and constricted my pupils, but tasted of first rate tobacco and made for rich satisfying smoke. I decided to age it. My experience with similarly strong new cigars has been that the stronger blends tend to age and mellow nicely over a year or 3. The same should be true with pipe tobacco. The ammonia and nicotine withdraw and the flavors emerge, marrying with each other. This is especially true when the tobaccos are top shelf, as they seem to be in the Brown Twist Sliced.
Patience is a virtue, well practiced here if not seeking to court respiratory or cardiac arrest. After a year or two in the jar, I may add a little rum for an additional dimension. We'll see.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Not yet aged enough

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

albo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albo (8)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Not quite as strong as some make out. But plenty of kick. Its like smoking a bowl full of spices. Cigar like qualities of pepper and chillies. Certainly will try again, but I prefer just a touch more tobacco flavour in my smokes and this comes up a bit short in my book.

Maybe a good blend to mix with something you want to crank up a notch.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Smoke it slowly, or the nicotine will overwhelm and you will miss out on the flavors, which can be subtle. The flavors are varied, rich, not really sweet, but not bitter or astringent. Very satisfying. And a little goes a long way.

This has joined the ranks of my absolute favorites, ideal for a nightcap with a good red wine. I will always have a large jar of this on the shelf.

Unfortunately, I must deduct a point for the room note and the wife factor. My lovely bride detests the smell of the smoke, and the smell on my breath, after this weed. I dearly love SBT, but only when my wife is not around.

Update, 25 March 2013: I'm raising this to 4 stars. After a couple of years in a jar, BTS has smoothed out. It is less harsh. It tastes a bit sweeter, if you take it slow enough. Time to put some more away into the cellar!

BriarPatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarPatch (33)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Wonderful stuff. Equivalent to Samuel Gawith's Brown Rope No. 4 (see my review there for more info). It is, truly, addicting!

Some notes on Brown Twist Vs Brown Rope:

1.) From what I can see, Brown Rope has the better price point.

2.) This version of Twist is already sliced, but it is sliced into a long shag so that if you wish to blend it in with your other favorite tobacco, you will still have some work to do. You'll need a razor to get at Brown Rope, but I much prefer the resulting flakes and leaves than the Shag-cut of Twist.

3.) Twist appears to be available in the U.S. in bulk only (although you can get as little as 2 oz) which means the moisture level you get might be a crap-shoot (where did that expression come from anyway?). Brown Rope comes in a tin so proper moisture (and cellaring if you're into it) are assured.

Given all that, I'd give the nod to Brown Rope.

These are don't miss tobaccos unless you are just starting out. Go slow at first & blend.

SCPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SCPipe (2)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable

Probably my favorite non-aromatic to date. I love the flavor and power that this tobacco delivers. It is a little harder to light than some but, once lit, it burns amazingly well and cool. Just make sure you eat a good meal before lighting up because this one packs quite a punch!

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

I have been busy with a yearend cleaning out of my pipe room and coming across a lot of blends that needed a revisit. Brown Twist Sliced is one of those blends. This powerhouse tobacco won’t be for everyone and it isn’t an everyday smoke for me. With that said, BTS is a mixture of pure tobacco taste with some mild Lakeland style topping. It has a bit of a medicinal taste but it is offset by an underlying sweetness that outweighs the essence for me. I am not sure if it is a topping or the addition of the dark Indian leaf that gives BTS its unique flavor. I don’t find very much complexity with BTS, but just a full flavored strong blend. I think that most people with a tolerance for “Lady N” and a love for strong, smooth, cool burning tobaccos will be attracted to BTS. If you’re not, then you may want to pass on this one.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 10;

Raw Score = 59;

Rated Percentage = 98%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Medium Strength, Nice Rich Natural Tobacco Flavor, No Bite, White Ash Burn.

Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

This rope turned to coin cut has a little cigar taste that I enjoy, partially because I enjoy good cigars, and partially because it doesn't overwhelm the rest of the flavors. The Virginia sweetness is somewhat present, but is sublimated by the strength of the tobacco. It burns decently if you dry it a little, but expect some relights. Not very complex, but has a bare hint of spice at various points, and almost has a "roast" taste to it. It gives a strong nic-hit to your senses which is filling more than overpowering. I doubt you'd want this for a regular smoke unless you like your tobacco strong, but as a change of pace, I have found it rather enjoyable. You may want a nice hot tea or coffee to round out the experience.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (109)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Strong

This is a very strong tobacco with a completely natural, uncased flavour; cool, slow burning and uniform all the way down the bowl. There's too much cigar-like flavour for my taste, but this is certainly a tobacco to go to if you want a strong nicotine kick and a smoke with nothing added. Too strong - too strong for me, at any rate - to be an all-day smoke, but a good one to visit now and again. G & H also do a sliced black twist that no one has reviewed yet; it's not quite as strong as the sliced brown. I'll do a review of it when I've smoked enough of it to form an opinion.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Not much in the way of sent in the bag it comes in (bulk) In fact I smell more zip-lock plastic than tobacco, but load it into your fave pipe and flick the ignition switch and you will be fast swept into tobacco nirvana. Starts off with light earthy tastes and builds from there. Gaining strength in comes the sweetness, your now coasting with nice savory tastes and a relaxing buzz.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Strong Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

In terms of Gawith 'browns' this is one of my favorites...maybe one of my favorites of any blend or brand, etc. A great tobacco flavor and aroma. This one has it all...just needs a little drying prior to use as what I've been sent has typically been pretty moist. Others have gone into sufficient detail to describe this one well, I'll just add that you can let it sit a bit and come back to it...and you might need to to control the ration of Vit. N. A real heavy hitter, which is not bad thing.

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Undoubtfully, this is high quality tobacco with almost no added flavoring (not your regular Lakeland) and a dominance of Kentucky leaf (or some very similar cousin). The problem for me is that the end result is a taste that comes very close to Panter cigars (at least to Panter Mignon, the only one that I've tried). Not a bad thing, since they are nice to smoke now and then, but for such taste I'd rather go for the tiny cigars which are easier to carry around and keep my pipe for flavors I can't achieve otherwise.

bentontool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bentontool (6)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful aroma in bag. Complex flavor... strong, a little sweetness, delicious. A bit wet initially, but after a short period of drying, it lit and burned very well to a fine grey ash. Absolutely no bite whatsoever. One of my favorites. Just purchased a second pound for cellaring.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Sliced Brown Twist:

Another four star rating for the Kendal Brothers. Strong stuff but oh so tasty! Not a all day smoke to be sure but unsurpassed for that smoke with "a little something extra" that is called for when the craving for just such a blend comes over the smoker.I read a comment or two that said that it has no complexity and I have to respectfully disagree with that evaluation.This is one of the primary reasons for smoking this particular tobacco in my opinion.The nicotine is,of course, the other reason. Very satisfying in this regard. I do reccomend that a small to medium bowl be used for this reason though and a very respectful puffing rate as well. If it proves to be a bit much as far as flavor and nicotine content goes I do as well recommend its tamer sibling Sliced Black to alleviate the headiness of this type of tobacco. Sliced Brown burns very well and packs with little or no problem. The batch I got from Pipes and Cigars had the perfect moisture level and burned down to a fine grey ash with no relights at all.This moisture level could vary,I suppose, and some judicious drying out would alleviate that problem if it arises. The room note is not something I worry about since I have a very tolerant wife and as I have stated repeatedly I don't believe most smokers can really smell the burning aroma since olfactory overload occurs rapidly-especially with the more robust blends such as this one.Being rather lazy I don't take the trouble to go outside for nostril rejuvenation and an assesment of the aromatics of the tobbco I am smoking at the time. I am also too busy enjoying the experience of smoking it in the first place to put it own for that amount of time. All in all another fine Kendal tobacco if a somewhat pricey smoke. But then again most superb things including tobacco are that way and I refuse to compromise on quality for economic reasons. The taste of the tobacco is therefore as high a quality as Gawaith and Hoggarth tobacco(excluding the heavy aromatics)are reliably and consistently expected to be. For what it is and does Sliced Brown Twist is one I can heartily reccomend and will keep around as part of my inventory of decadent indulgent luxuries.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Note: This review was based on a 4 bowl sample rather than the usual 1 oz minimum I usually adhere to. Consequently, my review might be pointless, and I'm not sure why I'm even writing it. :)

This tobacco tells me that it's not the effort required with ropes that make them unsmokable to me. The concept of a "rubbed out" rope was intriguing and a friend gave me 4 bowls worth to try. Unfortunately, it affected me as the black ropes have. The tobacco just tasted like dirt to me. No depth or complexity, simply a strong tobacco for the sake of strength.

A lot of folks seem to like this and perhaps it requires some time to get used to. For me, there are too many tobaccos that I find wonderful right off the bat to worry much about those that I have to work my way up to even being able to tolerate safely. Go for it - it's all yours! :)

Phantom55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phantom55 (29)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

A full bodied and full stength tobacco, not for the faint of heart. It will give you the hiccups if you puff too fast. It smells pretty rugged and intimidating when you open the bag, but it is a smooth smoker with no bite, and plenty of flavor. One of my favorite smokes.

Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

Dark, a little bit sweet and full of strength. This one will water your eyes and give you a tingly feeling all over. It looked quite foreboding, but rubbed out into an almost shag like cut. Despite the moisture content (a little on the high tide side), it burned cool and easily stayed lit.

G&H makes a lot of fine Virginia dominant tobaccos but this one may be the best of a great bunch. Thoroughly enjoyablel and I will certainly order more.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Very Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Phwoaaar! This is the stuff! A nicely moist, gently fragrant brown tobacco in the bag; packs with ease; lights and smokes nicely; the faintest wisps of bacon on a campfire in the woods, peat, jet-black chocolate and burnt toffee - and it knocks your head off a treat.

Five stars and straight in to a place alongside my head-whomping favourites, Peterson's Irish Flake and Revor.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

02/02/09 This is still one of the best inmo. Please try a blend that I love...1 part sliced brown & 1 part prince albert. I like to bring the sliced brown up to a moisture content not by a certain percentage but rather by feel, prior to blending. I use a sponge rinsed thoroughly with distilled water. I squeeze the rinsed sponge until no water drips from the hand. Next I take 1 oz of Brown sliced and deposite the sponge 2x2 inches square into a bowl w/ the tobacco. I the cover the bowl w/ plastic wrap. I toss the tobacco once per hour until the brown sliced has a nice spring to it. I then remove and cut with scissors until the consistency, where easily mixed with an equal part of prince albert. Please try, it is heavenly.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// I really smoke alot of this, and other blends from G&H. This is just brown twist sliced into thin wheels, with some sporadic ribbon amongst the other. I love this tobacco and its light floral essence it exudes. This tobacco burns clean and smokes very fast. I'm not bothered by the nicotine in this blend, as others have stated. Try this blend for yourself and experience what I call "the heroin of pipe tobacco." This smoke is truly intoxicating.

IHT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
IHT (15)
Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I love the African fire cured leaf found in a number of GH&Co tobacs.

If you're one that knows what a young, strong cigar with in your face tobacco flavor is like, this is similar. Just in your face flavors. Packing and burning is a snap as this is nearly shag-like in qualities once rubbed out fully. I can't compare the flavors to much of anything else other than similar GH&Co strong flakes/ropes (like Dark Flake unscented). A previous reviewer mentioned it was the "heroin of pipe tobacco", and I concur - once you've had it and found you enjoy it, you'll want more and more.

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

I have smoked this tobacco in several pipes, and from the first bowl of it it was a love affair.

strong? Yes. Overwhelming? No.

A dark sweetness is found here, more bass notes than in a mild VA, I would not call it cigarr taste though, Nothing like the sour notes of some milder lighter VA's, and nothing like the zestiness of dark star.

Smoking it slow and steady, gently tamping down the ashes as the bowl progresses is the best way. I would NOT recommend smoking this in a pipe with a small bowl diameter, an ordinary pipe with a bowl diameter of at least 20 mm and a depth of approx 40 mm is probably the best.

The smoke gets sweeter and stouter in the last 1/3 of the bowl, this is also where it is the most rewarding.

Due to the strength, a glass of water or a cup of tea at hand is recommended.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

I came upon this tobacco in a rather unusual way. An on-line retailer mistakenly put it in a bag marked as (believe it or not)Best Brown Flake, which I had never before tried. Upon looking at it I was taken aback as it did not seem to resemble the appearance or characteristics of Best Brown according to pictures on the retailers site. It arrived quite dry and so burned rapidly. I had to just sort of sip at it to avoid bite. Needless to say I was quickly aware of the overall strength of this, especially never before having tried any other ropes, twists, etc. Going back to the retailers website I looked at pictures until I figured out what they had actually sent to me. I was a little bit annoyed but by that time also intrigued with the stuff. When smoked slowly it has a slight sweetness with some cigar-like characteristics. It's actually quite good. It doesn't make me ill or cause untoward nicotine overdose affects, but it certainly makes just about anything else seem rather meek by comparison. I use a cob or other pipe with similar small capacity and smoke slowly. All-in-all a serendipitous discovery!

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco consists of small dark brown coins of sliced rope. The pouch aroma smells like strong tobacco is all I can think. Mine seemed slightly dry, but it seems deceptive since this is a pressed product. It is quite easy to rub this out into long strands, so it is much simpler to prepare than many of the rope products from which it is derived.

It lights up easily burns well. It is very easy to get tongue and gum bite with this so approach smoking it like any bitey Virginia. The flavor is mainly bass notes, roasty, dark, bitter, strong tobacco. I can detect little in the way of citrus or sugary flavors. There is a lot of nicotine present, and niccups can easily strike if you smoke this too rapidly.

For what it is, a very strong natural tobacco, it is the best that I have tried so far. I like it immensely and will probably keep some of this one around just for the occasional raw punch in the gut of pure tobacco flavor that it is. If a strong latakia can be likened to an espresso, then this is like a shot of straight whiskey.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Overwhelming Mild Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

This is by far the strongest tobacco I have ever tried. This review is based upon fewer smoking experiences than I usually reserve, both due to my desire to get my thoughts down about it, and the infrequency with which I plan to smoke it. It is an interesting and unique smoke. It is challenging, and much stronger than I typically go it for.

The first bowl of this that I tried had to be put down part way through, in order to prevent the room from escaping stability on a rampaging carousel. The second time, I smoked this is a very small lattice meer prince, group 1 in size.

Appearance: The tobacco comes in small cut discs, about the size of a dime. These are a medium brown in color, with darker centers and light stems. Received almost bone dry and crumbly, I rehydrated this tobacco by lightly crumbling it, holding it in the palm of my closed hand, and blowing through my hand. This gave enough pliability to adequately pack the small group 1 bowl.

Initial light gives a quick floral scent and an insight into the very deep and rich flavor of this tobacco.

This is a tobacco that must be carefully sipped, both to avoid the nicotine punch that it can deliver quickly, as well as protect from bite. Even when not biting, this tobacco can roughen the palate quickly. Even in the small group 1 bowl, usually a 10-15 minute smoke, this blend took a solid 35 minutes. The side stream smoke is very cigar-like in quality. There is ample opportunity to notice this, as the tobacco burns very slowly, creating a long lasting bowl from event he smallest tobacco chambers. Ashy flavors are common from the high tar presence.

The aftertaste from this tobacco is lingering and sweet.

Whether due to poor packing of the dry tobacco, slow smoke, or small conical bowl, I found this to require a greater number of relights than usual.

Flavor 85/100 and very full. Smoking characteristics 50/100 with negative marks for relights ashy characteristics and impact on the mouth. Overall: 75/100 influenced positively by superb flavor and unique qualities.

January 2004

zebarracuda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zebarracuda (3)
Extremely Strong None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable

Another great smoke, from the House of Kendal l!!

A smooth and very very pleasent smoke of pure african virginias, a delightfull touch of heavenly tobacco.

A very special tobacco for special occasions, not an everyday smoke, unless you can stand a nicotine content enough to knock you out for a while...

Together with Black Irish Twist, two special treats, two smokes that can carry you to another dimension... say, the twilight zone !!

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Very Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

This is one of my staples. Few tobaccos give me as much pleasure as Sliced Brown. You can see the bits of rope left over from the slicing process. The smoke is very full and creamy. This is not as dry as the Gawith ropes, but a filling. My favorite pipe for this is a Peterson XL02 which really seems to allow the wonderful, full tobacco-flavored smoke to dance around my face. Lots and lots of nicotine which gives a nice spicy tone when blown through the nose; not for newcomers.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Overwhelming None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

This is the sliced form of GH Brown Twist. The strongest tobacco I have ever tried. I don't like this style of tobak, which seems more like stuff you would try once on a dare. Nonetheless, I have had some success mixing a TINY portion of this in with a weak-flavored, good-smelling aromatic for a "crowd pleaser" with a bit of taste.