BrandComoy's of London
Manufactured ByScandinavian tobacco Company
FlavoringBourbon
Packaging100g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Very Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat)
Pleasant to Tolerable, Very Strong
1.0
CoreyR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoreyR (19)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

I recently ran across this tobacco while visiting the Newtown location of Havanna Connections in Williamsburg, Va. There were three Comoy's offerings and, as I had already blown most of my tobacco budget for the month, I decided to select one. I chose Cask #5 Bullet Rye Select, as it sounded interesting. I am not really into aros but the description sounded appealing and I thought I would give it a go. I wasted my $20. Upon opening the "paint can" style tin I was pleased to find an inner foil liner ensuring the freshness of the tobacco. The tin and liner are quite attractive and the tobacco looks very nice. It is ribbon cut, and mine had a nice bright brown color to it. Very visually appealing. The smell, however, was a bit "off putting." I was expecting a tobacco/rye whiskey aroma. Instead I got, almost nothing. I really had to take a whiff to smell an old, musty smell. Not very appealing. The moisture was good, though a little drying works better for my taste. It did pack and light ok. Maybe one relight was needed on a bowl or two but that may have been me not paying close enough attention to the matter. I really did not notice much flavor to this tobacco. Perhaps I have been spoiled by much better blends but I was expecting...more...something...anything. There just was not anything to it. That is until... I should say here that most of my trials, with Comoy's Cask #5, were done while driving my truck and I had my window either down or cracked thus drawing off the smoke. I generally do not really notice the "room note" when driving like this. When I rolled my window up, one chilly moring, that is when I discovered what I really do not like about this tobacco. Its "room note." A few moments after the window closed I started smelling a familier smell from my youth. My father was a woodcutter and I used to accompany him to the woods. I well remember the smell of chainsaw exhaust, from poorly maintained and oil leaking saws, and fresh cut firewood mixed with mud. I swear that is the room note of this tobacco and it is strong. How I cannot taste it but I can be overwhelmed by it in the surrounding smoke I will never know but it is the case. If you like chainsaw smoke, then this is the tobacco for you. Otherwise, I simply cannot recommend it it all. IMHO

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat, MM Patriot, no name Algerian Oom Paul

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

Purchased From: Havana Connections, Williamsburg, Virginia

Similar Blends: Nothing, I hope.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild Mild to Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Another attempt to make tobacco taste like liquor that, by and large, just doesn't work. It's a basic, light colored, mild smelling Danish aromatic with some bigger chunks of black Cavendish. It loads easily and catches alight with little coaxing. I could tell from the start that I would have to smoke it carefully or it would bight my tongue and generally scorch my palate.

Bullet Rye Select stays mild and boring all throughout the smoke. There's a little bit of sweetness and just the slightest hint of what may be whiskey. I couldn't say for sure. If I want bourbon, I'll just drink bourbon and look for a more interesting, flavorful tobacco to smoke with it.