A traditional mixture of Bright Virginia, Black Cavendish and Burley enhanced with a hint of sweet coconut.

Notes: Introduced to the UK in 2013.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste
Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Please rest assured that when I see "coconut" as an avowed flavouring that this does not make me rush to buy a blend. But I was fortunate enough to have had a sample of this several months ago and enjoyed it so much that I was delighted to see it finally enjoy a release into the UK market. And somewhat relieved that my impressions of coconut on first tasting were not a figment of my imagination!

On opening the tin you are met first with a visual treat, a truly lovely selection of leaves of various hue, accurately enough described as coarse cut, but looking for all the world as if they were hand torn into pretty shreds just for your delectation.

And then the tin note, well, yes, coconut, there are no two ways about it. Of the moistened variety, like you might find in a Bounty bar for heaven's sake! Moist to the touch, but a tactile pleasure to take a couple of pinches and lightly fluff them out.

So with both intrigue and interest deepening, pack it in the bowl and light it up. It is still there, that coconut, and yet what a marvellous and surprising delight. Incredibly soft and easy smoking, the taste transmutes into something akin to butterscotch. The underlying tobacco of the usually high standard expected from this blender burns easily and gently, aggravated puffing brings no remorse.

So, bamboozled as I am by this strange concoction, I find myself enjoying it thoroughly. Not an everyday smoke to be sure, but sweet, mild and satisfying, a dessert smoke if you will.

I have a feeling that the pipe smoking fraternity may well be divided by this one, but stick me down firmly in the "yes" camp.

Recommended.