A traditional mixture of Bright Virginia, Black Cavendish and Burley enhanced with a hint of sweet coconut.

Notes: Introduced to the UK in 2013.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste
Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

Please rest assured that when I see "coconut" as an avowed flavouring that this does not make me rush to buy a blend. But I was fortunate enough to have had a sample of this several months ago and enjoyed it so much that I was delighted to see it finally enjoy a release into the UK market. And somewhat relieved that my impressions of coconut on first tasting were not a figment of my imagination!

On opening the tin you are met first with a visual treat, a truly lovely selection of leaves of various hue, accurately enough described as coarse cut, but looking for all the world as if they were hand torn into pretty shreds just for your delectation.

And then the tin note, well, yes, coconut, there are no two ways about it. Of the moistened variety, like you might find in a Bounty bar for heaven's sake! Moist to the touch, but a tactile pleasure to take a couple of pinches and lightly fluff them out.

So with both intrigue and interest deepening, pack it in the bowl and light it up. It is still there, that coconut, and yet what a marvellous and surprising delight. Incredibly soft and easy smoking, the taste transmutes into something akin to butterscotch. The underlying tobacco of the usually high standard expected from this blender burns easily and gently, aggravated puffing brings no remorse.

So, bamboozled as I am by this strange concoction, I find myself enjoying it thoroughly. Not an everyday smoke to be sure, but sweet, mild and satisfying, a dessert smoke if you will.

I have a feeling that the pipe smoking fraternity may well be divided by this one, but stick me down firmly in the "yes" camp.

Recommended.

Sam Gawith Palace Gate . I have been so excited about this one ! Will it live up to the usual Sam G' level of excellence ? Let's see ! When I take a sniff of the blend I get a fabulous "exotic" aroma , which to be fair is quite a gentle one . The mix appears to be a good dissemination of the different types of tobacco , all very equal amounts to one and other . Moistness ? Perfect , which is a little surprising as with many Sam G blends (although they taste great) sometimes need time to air ! Once my pipe is filled I put my trusty Peterson lighter to it and can form my opinion ! My first question was "will it live up to the usual level of Sam G excellence ?" The answer is a big fat YES ! Lets start by deliberating the initial igniting ? This is quite possibly the most simplistic Sam Gawith blend to light up I have tried as of yet ! It only requires quite a shortish touch of the flame to begin a very well sustained burn of which the evenness is unquestionable . On to Tongue Bite now , not one example of it for the whole bowl full . Moving on to the Vitamin N now , a brill' amount which is neither overly formidable or so delicate you will miss it . If we discuss the texture of the smoke I will have to give it 10 out of 10 again as it is a lovely middle weight one , not too creamy yet not too thin either . Ten points go to the temperature also , a pleasing middle ground temperature , not blisteringly hot and not a really cool one . Finally it's time to talk taste !... Like the aroma it's a wonderful and gently exotic one ! The tobacco flavours are nicely balanced with each other , pleasant as more often than not Black Cavendish can be too indomitable in the flavour but this is an equally shared game between them all . The added flavour is a great supplement to the blend , the exotic Coconut comes through divinely but it lacks the harshness or strength you get with a lot of Aro's . Delicate would be the only way to describe this strength of flavour ! My final statement on this blend consists of one word ... "awesome" !

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef