Finer cut pipe tobacco, easy burning.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
CutShag
Strength
Taste
2.9
Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

Although I enjoy the Kendal Kentucky and the Dark Birdseye, I find this a bit too "cigarettish." It has a much lighter color than its stronger siblings. Bag aroma is also much sharper and lighter. There is a quite tangy VA taste with but a little of the darker presence found in the other two. I don't detect any sweetness. It's better if I mix in some of the Dark Birdseye to pump it up a bit and I suspect it would be good combined with the Kendal Dark Shag, but I have none on hand. It's not terrible but I doubt I will buy more after I have finished my 2 oz. If you have found the Kendal Kentucky to be a bit too much and are looking for something lighter, this could be for you. I just feel it is a lot lighter--too much so for my taste.

Huskies4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Huskies4 (6)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

For virginia this tobacco is not very sweet, instead it tastes flat, like a drugstore tobacco of lesser quality. Kendal's Mixed is one of my least favorite from Gawith & Hoggarth. The flavor is straight tobacco, that I do like, but the shag cut is "roll your own" tobacco and the taste comes through as such. This offering would have been much better had it been a plug like Triple Play.

This tobacco is better than a 2 star blend, but falls short of Gawith & Hoggarts usual 4 star status. I can comfortably give this 3 stars and recommend it to friends who are Gawith & Hoggarth fans.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 59;

Rated Percentage = 98%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, nice Full Body Flavor, faint After Taste on Finish.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (96)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Shag cut that burns fast, like smoking cigarettes in a pipe. Very light and ordinary flavor, a below average, monochromatic tasting, Virginia. There is some extremely mild topping, licorice maybe, that does not transfer into the smoke.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (24)

Before i start this is also known as kendal northstar, sold in 12.5, 25, and 50g packets from a local newsagent in my town.

This was originally sold to me as a ryo, opening the packet not so, this is a shag cut pipe tobacco.

Opening the packet one can be forgiven that there is no scent at all coming from the pouch, but once you dig deep there is delicate aromas coming up from the pouch a fresh virginia and burley scent, this is a pure straight up unscented uncased virginia burley mixture. quite moist out of the pouch, this does need some drying time, as packing straight out the pouch can just leave a plug of tobacco that is impossible to get lit and stay lit. If drying isnt your thing this needs to be packed looser than normal. It does take a bit of a certain knack to pack it correctly, i find it smokes best, slightly dried in a falcon pipe with billiard bowl. Lighting up and progressing through the smoke, the tastes are delicate but enjoyable, nice lemony citrus tastes, along with a slight spice and nuttyness from the burley. Again a certain knack is needed as to regards with smoking pace, if you try to rush this it will bite hard, but with the right smoking pace (i found slow, gentle sips of my pipe got the best from this mixture) this can be a very enjoyable experience for someone who is looking for a straight up unscented unflavoured mixture. Although this isnt my normal go to type of blend, i do enjoy this mixture from time to time, and the price is very reasonable as well. I have had bad experiences with shag cuts before but this has turned my oppinion, a good qaulity shag cut tobacco can be just as enjoyable as any other good pipe tobacco. A solid three star rating from me.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I'm not sure what makes this Mixed, but I suspect I'd like the components more than this blend. Kendal Kentucky is a favorite, as is Dark Flake (and shag and thick cut). This is a good tobacco, reasonably interesting flavor, easy to keep lit due to the shag cut, requires careful packing to ensure a reasonable burn rate. I like it, but don't love it. Worth trying if you like other GH tobaccos but are looking for something a bit more straightforward.

bigblends Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigblends (46)
Medium None Detected Full Very Pleasant

Kendal Mixed is sometimes billed as a shag-cut tobacco, though I'd argue extremely fine is more accurate. When I think shag, I think Three Castles or Dark Birdseye ... even Drum. You know, strings and threads. In any case, it's a lovely smoke.

You'll see some bright in there, some honey-colored/light-brown stuff, and some very dark leaf (fire cured). The smell is out of this world. The fire-cured weed is a nice contrast in appearance and scent to the other components and offers the spicy, woody, and very slightly herbal notes you may detect in other fire-cured Lakeland tobaccos. The flavor is all natural. This is tobacco, tobacco, and tobacco.

As with a majority of Lakeland offerings, you get a savory sweetness rather than the tangy, aggressive zing of some mixtures (particularly VAs from McClelland). The brights and browns offer rustic flavors and smells -- very tasty without becoming too grassy or like cilantro. The dark portion is the leaf you'd find in Dark Birdseye or Dark Flake. It's there both to the nose and palate, but certainly not in the majority. There is, however, plenty to satisfy without sacrificing the harmony of the blend or distracting the smoker with blasts of nicotine.

I packed this stuff in with some pressure, and I believe the key is to produce a log of sorts that fills the bowl snugly from heel to rim in one packing. Going in thirds or packing too lightly -- in other words, leaving gaps of any measure in the bowl -- can interrupt the continuity of the blend's flavor or cause the tobacco to burn too quickly. I can smoke an entire bowl on one match. I also suggest dumping some ash as the tobacco burns down. Tamping down too much fine ash can choke the ember, though you may want to leave a slightly layer to keep the burn rate steady.

In summary, you get all-natural tobacco of the highest quality, an easy burning smoke, enough depth of flavor (complexity) to be very interesting and inviting from start to finish, good mouthfeel and stout body, and a generous taste of all the best tobaccos Gawith Hoggarth & Co. has to offer in a single mixture.

scootertrash Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scootertrash (11)

I bought a 2 oz sample of Kendall Mixed and liked it. By appearance it seems to be a mix of mostly light virginia & burley with a small amount of dark fired tobacco. The cut is a very stringy shag, with absolutely no stems. I like it. It packs easily. The flavor is TOBACCO. Reminds me of a high quality roll your own cigarette tobacco (something like "DRUM" only much better) in appearance, smell & taste. KB smokes cool & dry to the bottom of the bowl with a very consistant flavor. I found KM to be a delightfull change of pace tobacco. I'll be buying more of this. Based on the quality of this tobacco, I think I will sample some of the other shag cuts Gawith,Hoggarth has to offer.