English Summer Pipe Tobacco by Samuel Gawith is made from natural leaves, which have sustained a long, ageing process. This gives English Summer pipe tobacco a great, cool slow burning and delicate flavour.

Taste: Medium Sweet

Strength: Medium

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended ByStanislaw & Samuel Gawith
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.9
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It is a delightful tasting Virginia and the name is perfect as the light citrus like topping offers the perfect refreshment for a summer's day. I was given a decent sample of this one and went through it pretty quickly.

I will say that I enjoyed it more than I did Full Virginia Flake, but it is a very different flake from that one. I found it closer related to Dunhill Flake with its citrus tones and not all too dissimilar to Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake, but much better to my tastes.

There is a light floral touch to this one that may offend the soap haters, but I found it barely detectable. I highly recommend this to the Virginia lovers out there.

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Mild Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Hmm. According to the blurb at the top of the page: "...made from natural leaves." Really? As opposed to what, artificial leaves? And where pray do these leaves come from? Tea; the front lawn...? Because I have been left seriously underwhelmed by this concoction.

But let us rewind a bit. We are presented with a slightly chunky and moist mid-brown flake, so far so very Samuel Gawith. But then strange things start happening when you first take a sniff, what is that in there? None of the typical aromas of the purported Virginia, instead a rather sickly sweet essence of rose hip.

Things don't improve on lighting, where there is not much more than the sensation of warm air enveloped by a strong sense of Juicy Fruit chewing gum. Something has clearly been added to the "leaves" and it has just made the blend too sweet and cloying for my tastes.

I really don't know what to make of this, I am working from a small sample so maybe there has been a quality issue here. But I can only base this review on what is in front of me. Very disappointing indeed.

Medium Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

This is a very lively tobacco !It has a very classic taste to it . It has a great aroma from the tin which really draws you in . Rubbing out and filling is very pleasurable . The initial light is lovely and the flavor does not dissipate as the pipe burns down but stays full . The burn is cool and the smoke is delectable ,thick and traditionally Virginia in taste . I don't think you will be disappointed with this !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

sibeen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sibeen (10)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I'd nearly have to call this a lighter flavoured version of Peterson's Uni Flake. To me it has a very similar taste profile Blueberries. Not as sharp as the UF, and in my opinion a better structured and burning tobacco.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (18)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Strong

This is a really light Virginia flake with sour lemon topping. It is amazing, because I didn't know you could make Virginia flake offer hints of sour lemon. I didn't notice a lot of sweetness, which in this case was fine.

Normally I despise any kind of a topping, but this is a wonderful tobacco. In the heat and humidity of the Gulf Coast the whispers of sour lemon, with nothing thick or cloying, is very refreshing indeed.

I love smoking this stuff while sipping hot tea with a squeeze of lemon. Earl Grey seems to have been made for this flake, and this flake for Earl Grey.

This flake has a very light flavor profile overall, so when you sample it just remember that it is supposed to be super light on the pallette. If I am looking for lots of flavor I smoke C&D Opening Night, or Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake. This is for hot afternoons.

Pipe Used: Peterson 302 and 303

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (134)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is the 3rd of the 4 seasons line that I have tried so far. As with the others, this one will need some drying time before some would even consider putting fire to it. YMMV on this point. Upon opening the tin you get a very nice tin note and the flakes are nice and thin for easy rubbing out. This lights and stays lit with little effort once properly dried. The weed used is the usual quality from SG. The nicotine level is on the lower end, so it should be no problem for those with a lower tolerance. Burns down to a nice ash at the end of the bowl. Definitely recommended whenever it is available.

ddmholst Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddmholst (17)
Very Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first of "the four seasonal" blends that I have tried. I have to say I was not impressed. It looks rather nice in the tin. Light brown flakes with some yellow strands mixed in. It smells good to me. Almost like golden sliced. It came fairly dry compared to other SG flakes I have dealt with in the past.

Upon first light you get a subtle but somewhat sweet Virginia flavour. As the bowl progresses this flavour comes and goes. Every now and then if I really concentrated on my cadence I would get a mild sweet almost citrus flavour. Mostly I got hot air and no nicotine. I have put the remander of my tin in a mason jar. Maybe some time will help this blend. As of now I would not purchase again.

If you like really mild Virginias, this may be for you. I need more strength.

Pipe Used: Various briars