A combination of dark fired and air cured Virginia's cut into a fine shag for easy smoking.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringNuts / Beans
CutShag
Packaging50g Tin, Bulk
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (18)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is an exceptional offering from G & H. Its mild flavor will deceive you when the high nicotine content hits you like a brick. I smoke it in a pipe and sometimes in an ultra light cigarette to tame the kick of this tobacco. I would definitely recommend this tobacco not be tried by a beginner used to aromatics and would further recommend anyone smoking this have something on your stomach. The nicotine in this high quality tobacco will make your head spin for sure. I like Kendal Dark, Kendal Kentucky, but find Kendal Dark Birds Eye to be my own personal favorite of the G&H offerings.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (76)
Extremely Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A shag cut blend of dominating dark fired leaf and some air cured leaf subtly making a pressence and thinning the blend a little. This is smokey-spicy with enormous nicotine strength that could make your head spin. I did find it too bitter as it smoked down the bowl. Being a non-flue cured blend strength on the palette is fairly cool. Simply too over the top and unrefined for me. The quintessential Sherlockian shag so, smoke this when the game is afoot.

Smokedinacob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokedinacob (8)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Full Very Strong

I just finished a two-month stint of smoking a quantity of Dark Birdseye, Kendal Dark, and Kendal Kentucky in rotation at various moisture levels, times-of-day, etc. in an effort to decide which one to start buying in bulk. In the end, although they seem quite different when smoked back to back, I can honestly say that if only any one of the three were available, I would lay in a large stock of it and be thankful.

The middle part applies to all three:

The cut is what I would call an "ultra-fine ribbon." Just wider than a true shag, but handles like a shag. I like how it dries out. I like packing it into the pipe. I like how it burns. It can burn really really fast if you truly pay no attention at all, and with tobaccos of this strength it can be unpleasant, but I am lazy and like how easy it is to get these ribbons to smolder compared to larger stuff. Just let it dry untill nearly breakable, squeeze it, light it, and puff easy.

Nicotine. There's a lot in here. It awakens the senses, calms the mind, and coats the mouth.

The flavor of these is decidedly dark and strong. Meaty, tangy, oily, a little sweet, fermented, a little smoky. Smoking these is not a multi-dimensional experience like a symphony. More like Sacred Harp sing--4 notes, wild and good and loud. Full on dark tobacco taste. For real. Rough around the edges, raw, old-timey. I have nothing to compare it to, really. I can only say that I really like it and will keep something like this aound at all times.

Dark Birdseye is my favorite. Kendal Dark is the most civilized of the three. It is mellower and even has the slightest Maduro note. It is also the least interesting. There is just the barest trace of of a lakeland baby powder here, which I believe is additive.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: smoking pipes

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)

I'm afraid I found this a thoroughly unpleasant tobacco. It tastes like a cheap cigar, burns very hot and scorches the throat. It's a bit like a cheap French scaferlati tobacco; though it's not cheap in the UK, of course. Perhaps I got a bad batch: it's odd that my experience of it should be so unlike most other people's; but I didn't like it at all. Each to his own, I guess. It might do as a blending tobacco to ginger up something very mild, but I can't recommend smoking it on its own. I ended up mixing it with St Bruno ready rubbed. The result was tolerable, but no more than that.

Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Very Strong

As a huge fan of both Kendal Kentucky and straight virginias, I thought this one would be a winner for sure. Indeed, it looked like KK and had a lot of its flavor. But it rapidly turned bitter and sour. And the room aroma was absolutely nasty! I did not find this to smoke like Dark Flake at all.

I think this is mostly a dark-fired African "burley", as I don't taste anything resembling virginias sweetness in this mix. I like the shag cut, as it gives a shorter smoke, and I smoke a lot of Kendal Kentucky on my lunch hours. But this one took the saliva from my mouth and gave me hiccups even when I puffed overly slowly. I find nothing to save this tobacco from a one star rating. If you're looking for a nicotine hit, here you go. If you're looking for something refined and complex (or even tasty), look elsewhere.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 58;

Rated Percentage = 97%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, nice Natural Tobacco Flavor, No Bite, White Ash Burn.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Kendal Dark:

No doubt this is high quality tobacco but.... and here come the buts... I just can't get much appreciation worked up for this stuff. I have to say this was an unexpected result for a Kendal tobacco offering but there it is. I am a big fan of the stronger blends like Dark Flake and the Twists and Ropes (as well as the lighter blends and even a few of the medium ones) but this one just doesn't seem to make it with me. I'm not sure if it is the cut of the tobacco which is a very fine string cut that burns quite fast or the component tobaccos that gives this result.

If it as has been suggested it is Dark Flake but to me it doesn't taste the same. It burns hotter than the others (Sliced Black and Brown and even Kendal Light).The flavor is passable and the nicotine and strength are as well. I am not all that fond of "passable" though and from a quality manufacturer like Gawith and Hoggarth (or anybody else for that matter)"passable" is barely acceptable.

For the first time I've given a Kendal tobacco a "Somewhat Recommended" rating and that's what I suggest for those who want a change of taste and/or pace. In truth it is not a bad tobacco just not the one for this smoker on a regular basis.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (somewhat disappointed)

Update:5/9/2010,

Have since smoking Kendal Dark returned to my Dark Flake stash and I have to say that if this Kendal Dark is the same tobacco but in a fine shag cut it still does not taste the same. The Dark Flake which I enjoy is a much more accomodating smoke. I am not a novice pipe smoker and the difference in the cuts was allowed for as I went through the bowls of each and the result was the same.Dark Flake--an "8" or possibly an "8.5" on the 1-10 satisfaction scale and Kendal Dark still only about a "3" for me personally. Sorry,G&H, I do understand that every blend has its promoters and its detractors and a few neutral reactions but this one is not in the same class as Dark Flake.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (still somewhat disappointed)

Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

I'm in Love! I'm in Love! I'm in Love!

This Kendal's Dark is delicious!

Once again, thanks to a fellow reviewer (DrDNA) for gifting me some of this delightful weed. It is a long stranded shag cut that has a deep, dark presence with an enticing odor that somehow conveys the fact that it needs to be smoked. I obliged quickly and I'm glad I did.

Kendal's Dark is reportedly a Virginia with no mention of any Burley. I know that Esoterica's Stonehaven is a mostly Burley blend.... Yet, these two are very similar with Kendal's Dark being a "revved up" version of Stonehaven, IMO.

It burned dry and clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I did not use one single pipe cleaner during my smokes (two bowls back to back). I realize some of that had to do with the outstanding Ruthenberg I had the 'baccy loaded up in, but the tobacco itself also played a part in the dry smoke.

This tobacco, in addition to being full and loaded with semi-sweet flavor, also had a spicy note that leads me to believe there is some hint of added flavoring.

I don't have a clue who Kendal is/was.... But, I sure thank him for sharing his Dark.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The same basic blend as the unscented G&H Dark Flake/plug, only it hasn't been compressed etc. as part of the curing process. It's a lighter tasting smoke, not as powerful and it maybe burns a little bit hotter.

A useful tobacco if you like Dark Flake but want a quicker smoke than a bowlful of flake, or like shag cuts and are looking for something distinctive with a bit of depth to it. It doesn't lose all it's flavour outdoors either, unlike some tobaccos. As supplied it's generally smokeable immediately though some may prefer to give it a very short drying time. Just don't dry it out too much, British tobaccos are intended to be smoked a little "damp".

One thing - the cut is actually more of a thin ribbon than a traditional fine shag. In the EU pipe tobacco is taxed differently to hand-rolling (anti-cigarette laws basically) and EU rules were changed a few years ago to force manufacturers to cut pipe tobacco too thick to use as hand-rolling to force hand-rollers to pay for the higher taxed hand-rolling cuts. The flavour has therefore changed a little from years gone by, but not much. On the plus side it now burns a little cooler and a little slower.

Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Kendal's Dark reminds me of Peterson's 3P in terms of taste, but in less berry/fruitish and more on the date/fig side of taste. The strenghth in the nicotine is a bit strong for me but it does not ruin the overall experience like St-Bruno did. Despite the very fine cut, I did not experience any tongue bite. The combustion is excellent, a few tappings here and there, very lighty administered and it burn all the way down dry. As it was a sample gracefully sent to me, I will definitively order some.

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

O-K, this is a quality tobacco- well-mannered and has a good taste....but it does not have enough nicotine for me, and I just find it a little boring.

Better than many tobaccos which are out there...has kind of a unique taste which is very pleasant....but still...just not enough of anything to really make me buy more. If you prefer something milder than the GH&C ropes, yet which possesses the high-quality of GH&C tobaccos, you'll like this.

Can't say anything bad about this....I just prefer their stronger stuff. Overall, a very good middle-of-the-road medium smoke.

Note: Another reviewer said that this is the same tobacco as Dark Flake. It is not! DF is a Viginia/burley mixture- this is pure Virginia. While I love virginias, I do prefer Dark Flake to this- as it is a little stronger and tastier.

UPDATE: This tobacco has rteally grown on me! As one gets used to it, the subtleties of it's flavor become more apparent (and that includes just a hint of that famous Lakeland essence) and I have to say that it is really unique and comforting. I ended up ordering more of this, and always enjoy smoking it; and while I do usually prefer GH&C products, I must say that I have since tried Sam Gawith's Lakeland Dark, which is very similar to this Kendall...only even better! But you can not go wrong with either tobacco- they are both great.

twoadaydanny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twoadaydanny (5)
Extremely Strong Medium to Strong Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark and spicy. A strong, tobaccoey, slightly burnt gingersnap cookie.

I'm convinced that the effects of nicotine in a blend are subjective,--but this is among the strongest (if not the strongest) I've smoked. Not a bad thing.

The cut is what I would describe as "fine ribbon". It's certainly not a regular ribbon; but its not so fine as, say, Kendal #7. I like this style of cut quite a lot. Easy to light and keep lit--and I like easy.

Again, this is certainly subjective, but I find that this tobacco is harsh on my throat in a way I haven't with any other tobacco. It's almost a constrictive effect. I can't imagine smoking bowl-upon-bowl of this.

I may experiment with this as a blending tobacco. I do like it. But I can't handle it in quantity.

garydobbs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
garydobbs (19)
Strong Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A stronger tobacco with light side proportions of 68% Virginia and a dark side of nearly 1/3, including 16% dark-cured Indian leaf, and a little Burley providing a full strength smoke. The dominant flavour is one of oatmeal with a complex top note that suggests rum and chocolate.

This is certainly a strong tobacco both in terms of taste and nicotine hit, but it is incredibly mild and provides a wonderfully full smoke. It goes well with a cup of coffee, each bringing out subtle flavors in the others and I found it smoked easily to the bottom of the bowl where it left a wispy white ash.

I've been experimenting with different tobaccos lately thanks to the terrific mail order service supplied by UKTobacco.Com and out of the many different varieties I've tried lately this is so far my favourite. My mix was supplied in a shag cut and although it felt a little moist in the pack it lit well and needed no drying out. I'm sure I detected a little Burley in the mix but the overall taste is that of classic Virginia leaf.

Tastes - oatmeal definitely and also a little almond and as I neared the bottom of the bowl the overpowering flavour became what I can only describe as a chocolaty rum. The nicotine hit is immense so I don't think I'd use this as an all day smoke, but rather one to settle back with of an evening while reading a good book. I also tried the tobacco mixed with a little English Cherry Tobacco from the same blender and found the result to be even more del

I must say I enjoyed this one and have to award it a five pipe rating, five out of five of course

Raffles Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raffles (11)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

This is (or rather was) a great shag tobacco, and conceivably the model for the "black shag" of Sherlock Holmes fame. Sadly as of 2011, due to some insensitive European legislation, it is now (certainly in Europe) a 1.5mm ribbon cut. So, just a few old fogies inconvenienced and 150 years of British tobacco tradition cast aside. No problem there.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I like this the least of the Dark series. The shag cut tends to make the blend overpowering. I prefer the Dark Flake Unscented, followed by the plug (so I can cut it as flakes), and this is my least favorite.

It is tasty stuff, and loaded with both flavor and nicotine. I do like it, just not as much as the more civilized Dark Flake Unscented.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I find this tobacco very similar to Kendal Kentucky so my review is almost identical. The main differnces here seem to be that KD has slightly more of the soft dark sweetness and lacks the bitter dry edge of KK. This is, no doubt, due to the contituant leaves i.e. the sweetness of virginia as opposed to the nutiness of burley. However, these differnces are so small as to render these two tobaccos as more of a variation on a theme than anything else. I generally prefer savoury to sweet but in this case Kendal Dark wins out for me, just.

This tobacco is a bit of a trip down memory lane for me as it smells just like the tobaccos my Grandad used to smoke. I'll try to not let that cloud my judgement, much.

It smells nice in the bag (like all G,H&co. pipe tobaccos, it seems you can only buy this weighed out loose in England) and has an attractive, uniform, burnt umber colouring. Despite the shag cut I found this tobacco to be easy to deal with and lacked both the wimpy ability to put flavour across and the temperamentality I usually find in this kind of tobacco.

The flavour has been well described here; being (to my tastebuds) rich, slightly earthy with a hint of spice and softened with a natural muscovado sweetness.

Although this is a fairly strong tobacco I had no probelms with the occasional inhale because of it's seemingly complete lack of additives or flavourings (which always seem to irritate my lungs). I also tried rolling it in a cigarette paper and found it an enjoyable experience - retaining it's full flavour and being of a much higher quality than any other hand rolling tobacco I've ever tried, which is admittedly, a limited number.

I can't fault the stuff. If you like smoking full flavoured, natural and high quality tobacco and you don't like paying huge amounts of money for the privellage why wouldn't you smoke this?

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (8)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Kendal Dark. Definitely among my absolute favorite tobaccos. If there was no variety of tobacco available to me but this, I would happily smoke more than my fill anyway, and seldom tire of it.

To me, this is what smoking a pipe is all about. Strong, deep, rich, dark tobacco flavor with plenty of substance, plenty of smoke, plenty of nicotine. Indeed, this is not a blend for people who do not enjoy strong tobaccos, and certainly not for people who never like smoking tobacco that doesn't offer a sweet flavor. There is often a cigar-like quality to the taste, and even when that isn't present it is very earthy.

I have trouble not comparing it to Irish flake. To me, it hits a lot of the same notes, and while I think it is in fact a less refined and sophisticated blend I often enjoy it more than IF. It can bite if rushed or smoked wet, but drying takes minutes with such a fine cut, and the new ever-so-slightly wider ribbon cut (just barely wider than a shag) has made it easier to smoke it at a relaxed pace.

I have only two complaints regarding this tobacco. The first is that I enjoy it so much that when I buy it I smoke it frequently, sometimes to the exclusion of other blends, and my nicotine tolerance skyrockets. As a result, it takes me a while to get back to a point where I find myself satisfied after milder smokes, and the bulk of tobaccos I smoke ARE milder (which almost goes without saying). Secondly, the deep, earthy flavors and fine cut make this a FAR better cigarette tobacco than virtually any tobacco I've found designed for the purpose, and as a result when it is cold outside I often find myself rolling it up instead of loading a pipe. I can't say it's a fault of the tobacco, of course, but I prefer not to fall back into that habit. With this tobacco on hand during the winter, that temptation becomes great. The irony is in a pipe it offers a relatively quick smoke, being so strong and so finely cut, and as such winter time finds me craving it even more than normal.

This has performed admirably in any and every pipe I've used for it, regardless of the chamber's size or shape. I find it tastes best in a meerschaum or corn cob, but I usually smoke it in a briar anyway.

I find it similar to strong tobaccos along the lines of Peterson's Irish Flake, Condor Long Cut, and Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz. I believe any fan of one of these blends may like it very well, if not as well as I do. Likewise, it would be a great blend to try if you're a former cigarette or strong cigar smoker who occasionally wants a nice dose of nicotine from a pipe. Finally, it's a must try for anybody interested in a taste of a high quality and truly old fashioned, if slightly rough around the edges, tobacco.

Certainly not the smoothest or most elegant tobacco produced today, yet oddly one of my very top favorites and a near daily treat for me when I have it on hand. I can't see much value in cellaring this, though. Buy and smoke to your heart's content!

markh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
markh (4)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I think this is the same tobacco sold as "Kendal Dark Thick Cut", which is in fact a fairly fine to medium cut.

Another tobacco based on Dark Plug, or Dark Flake. I detect little of the lakeland floral scent. Burns well, a strong, cigar like smoky taste that the dark fired, air cured tobaccos are known for. You won't have to check to make sure its actually lit.

Its a very strong tobacco, very high in body. Even in a small pipe, carefully smoked it can be overwhelming. Because of its cut (fine relative to the flake/plug) it tends to burn faster and deliver more smoke.

I can't help thinking the a tobacco much like this would have been smoked long ago in England, in a little clay pipe. Its strong enough to have reduced Sherlock Holmes' "Three pipe problem" to only a single pipe.

My 4* recommendation is based on the type of tobacco. If you want to fill a large pipe and smoke it for a long time, this isn't your blend. A small pipe, very carefully and slowly smoked, is really nice. Not to mention that your pouch could hold several weeks or months supply!

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Stronger than Kentucky Kendal, and smoky. Very cool. Mid-bowl it is not as spicy/sweet as the Kendal #7 Mixture. I think the #7 is the sweetest of the three what with the fire-cured VA. I am packing the bowl firmer and getting better results (a longer burn with consistent flavor). Also, somebody suggested dumping the ash and going easy with the tamper. I think that is right. Now that I know how to smoke these shags I like them almost as much as Irish Flake.

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

Supposedly the same as Dark Flake but in a shag cut. Maybe its just my imagination but this somehow seems a little sweeter.

Unfortunately being a shag it burns hot and fast. I recently received advice that this mixes well with Haddo's Delight to create a blend called "Haddo's Dark" and this is how I use it now.

3 stars on its own, 4 as a mixer.

blowing smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blowing smoke (6)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is an awesome shag tobacco. It is easy to light and smokes all the way down with few to no relights. Burns to a fine white/gray ash. Bitter/sweet with a bit of spice/heat on the tongue. This goes well with coffee in the morning it you want a real wake up call! I bet it would be wonderful smoked after a cold day outside with a cup of hot chocolate. I think the flavors would compliment each other nicely. Once the weather is a bit cooler I think I will confirm this theory. This may be redundant, given other reviews, but there is a bit of cigarishness to the flavor and aroma. Best smoked, at least for me, in a small to medium sized pipe. I tried some in a large Italian freehand and it burned way too fast. I couldn't control the burn even with slow puffing and it was not as enjoyable this way. It became a bit bitter and hot. Maybe it was because I had all my windows open and several ceiling fans going at the time. Nice amount of nicotine, though not as much as Dark Birds Eye which is another G&H shag type tobacco that I like. I would recommend this to anyone who likes a stronger full tobacco flavored smoke.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I have been on a Gawith run for the past several months and this is by far the strongest and most nicotine laden example I have tried of the bunch. Being a shag-cut it was easy to pack and after a false-light and tamp I was off.

Wow! What a delightful, full, peppery, mature, smoke! Caution to the fast-puffer however, this Virginia will incapacitate you if you go too fast. Blowing some through my nostrils I find my eyes opening wider and I slow the pace even more. Halfway through the bowl the smoke really settles down to a mezmerising, almost meditative experience. A slight cigar-like flavor permeates more the farther down the bowl I progress.

It burns to a fine grey-white ash. I did not need a pipe cleaner the run of the bowl, (Probably due in large part to my slowing down as I progressed), and it left just a small dottle at the end.

This is definitely, IMHO, not a smoke for the beginner or first time Virginia smoker.

My first time I smoked this in an older Charatan Extra Large Pipe. Hmmm, maybe this is why after finishing it around Midnight, it took me roughly 2-3 hours to get to sleep. I plan to smoke it again in a large pipe but will do so in the early afternoon, not late at night!