We took our flake 556 a couple miles further! This dark-ish, thick yet easily rubbed flake contains Matured Virginias, Stoved Virginias, Perique and a bit of Fire Cured. Not as pungent as 556 but you will love it's subtly sweet perfectly balanced flavor. Medium strength.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q.
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

How many cigar/pipe shops in America still create their very own flakes and kakes? My guess is that it is less than five. But as with the other flakes and kakes that I have tried from Watch City, Flake #558 doesn’t disappoint. #558 is a flake that is cut a little on the thick side and the pouch sent offers a deep, earthy, slightly sweet scent. Flake #558 is comprised of red, bright and stoved Virginias with added perique. The flake is a little on the darker side than Old Dominion, another WC flake I am working my way through. I thought there might be just a pinch of added Cavendish in there too, but it was just the effect the stoved had on the blend. But that is just a guess. Due to the thickness of the flake, I prefer to let it dry a bit and then break it up into small pieces with a little fully rubbed out to get the party started. In the pipe, this is one smooth flake with no hint of bite. #558 burns cool and slightly sweet. Kudos to Watch City on another fine blend. I can’t wait to see what three or four years in the cellar will do to this one. Good stuff!

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (38)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I pretty much concur with Steelcowboy's review, which will spare you a lot of redundant reading. I was surprised to see such thick, crumbly flakes -- a unique presentation in my experience. This is closer to a crumble cake, yet arguably a flake cut. Slow burning and satisfying with a good whole mouth feel, great body, and a pleasing combination of bready Va flavors and fruit-like Perique. Nothing sharp or grassy, nor peppery here. It has a sweet woody edge that suggests some nut-like Burley in the mix. Top notch!

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopos and Radices

Age When Smoked: Fresh, young.

Purchased From: Watch City

Similar Blends: 4noggins' Prairie Wind for its fruitiness, and Dunhill's Elizabethan for the nuttier flavor elements..

Heliumbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heliumbro (13)

(I am a newer and irregular pipe smoker. My reviews are subject to my preferences and tastes and pipe smoking habits)

As before, SteelCowboy has really done the heavy lifting in describing this tobacco, so I will only add any differences I may have noticed in my smoking experiences. As Ernie at WCC had treated me so well in the past, I knew I had to give some return business and especially to his house blends. He informed me that he felt his blends were presented in a 'Crumble Flake' form, a little bit of both worlds. This thick cut flake was rubbed out and packed gently. Took a flame easily and required only a few relights on my part. Aside from the aforementioned VaPer flavours, there is a woody/earthy note in the background throughout the smoke. I didn't get much in the way of strong sweet and sour, but a more rich, dark meaty smoke that was a little drier than I was expecting. Still very nice and different from what I normally have experienced in VaPer's. The Burly adds that extra little something to the taste, yet stays cool with little to no bite. I did get some Perique spice but it was very slight. Overall a very balanced smoke and a surprising treat. WCC is one of the hidden gems with a great in store selection and an honest, no BS proprietor who knows how to blend and sell his own tobaccos.

Pipe Used: Estate Cesare Billiard

Age When Smoked: unknown/Fresh purchased

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

Another classic from Ernie Q, this VePer with Kentucky crumb cake is a bit darker in color than his Slices. The aroma is sweeter and tangier as well, which is far from surprising. Ernie moves to the Virginia spectrum but still adds a bit of Kentucky to keep this one from hovering towards the "too sweet". As a result, it's excellent.

The tang from the Virginias is not of the typical "grassy" nature but more of a sweet hay. The perique strikes a perfect balance between darkly sweet and spicy that works wonderfully, while the Kentucky provides a bit of down home grit to the proceedings. This was another blend that just wouldn't stay out of my pipes. Generally I smoke a lot of bowls of my favorites alongside the blends I'm reviewing but this and the Slices wouldn't hear of it. Those two blends are extremely complementary, one being bold and earthy and the other tangy and "upscale". I have no doubt this one will age beautifully. If you have yet to check out the Watch City blends, don't wait any longer. I wish I had gotten onboard sooner.