We took our flake 556 a couple miles further! This dark-ish, thick yet easily rubbed flake contains Matured Virginias, Stoved Virginias, Perique and a bit of Fire Cured. Not as pungent as 556 but you will love it's subtly sweet perfectly balanced flavor. Medium strength.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Unnoticeable, Pleasant to Tolerable
½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (37)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

I pretty much concur with Steelcowboy's review, which will spare you a lot of redundant reading. I was surprised to see such thick, crumbly flakes -- a unique presentation in my experience. This is closer to a crumble cake, yet arguably a flake cut. Slow burning and satisfying with a good whole mouth feel, great body, and a pleasing combination of bready Va flavors and fruit-like Perique. Nothing sharp or grassy, nor peppery here. It has a sweet woody edge that suggests some nut-like Burley in the mix. Top notch!

Pipe Used: Ser Jacopos and Radices

Age When Smoked: Fresh, young.

Purchased From: Watch City

Similar Blends: 4noggins' Prairie Wind for its fruitiness, and Dunhill's Elizabethan for the nuttier flavor elements..

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

How many cigar/pipe shops in America still create their very own flakes and kakes? My guess is that it is less than five. But as with the other flakes and kakes that I have tried from Watch City, Flake #558 doesn’t disappoint. #558 is a flake that is cut a little on the thick side and the pouch sent offers a deep, earthy, slightly sweet scent. Flake #558 is comprised of red, bright and stoved Virginias with added perique. The flake is a little on the darker side than Old Dominion, another WC flake I am working my way through. I thought there might be just a pinch of added Cavendish in there too, but it was just the effect the stoved had on the blend. But that is just a guess. Due to the thickness of the flake, I prefer to let it dry a bit and then break it up into small pieces with a little fully rubbed out to get the party started. In the pipe, this is one smooth flake with no hint of bite. #558 burns cool and slightly sweet. Kudos to Watch City on another fine blend. I can’t wait to see what three or four years in the cellar will do to this one. Good stuff!

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar