Old Dominion is the nickname for the state of Virginia...and now it's the name of this blend of sugary bright and ripe red Virginia leaf touched with Perique, pressed into cakes and sliced. Medium bodied classic Virginia flavor.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q.
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Old Dominion is another flake created out of the imagination of Ernie, the owner Watch City Cigar. Made from Bright, Red and Matured Virginias with Perique. This is a pretty straight forward VaPer, but not boring at all. The pouch scent is offers a mix of tangy and sour scent. The color is medium tan with some light flecks. The flake, like the other Watch City flakes, is cut on the thick side. I find this blend works best for me fully rubbed out. I prefer it in a smaller bowl and fairly dried out. At first light, OD shows off its peppery side before settling down into a nice, smooth, slightly sweet smoke. The bright Virginias are what make this blend for me as they are added perfectly for my taste. The sweetness increases as the bowl progresses. I think this blend is good now, but has amazing potential for glory after a rest in the cellar. All in all, another fine flake from Watch City.

Purchased From: Watch City Cigar

One of the fattest flakes I've seen but also one of the crumbly-est. Kind of dirt colored with a heady pouch aroma of basic Virginia and perique. Rich smell, with a little something beneath - kind of a spice. This was best rubbed out.

Old Dominion started for me with a burst of perique, complete with nose tingle when I smoked it in a bent pipe or when I snorked. A mellow sweetness but more tang in the first half of the bowl, with that feisty perique nature. The 2nd half of the bowl showed off more of the sweetness while the perique receded, but it still had that underlying spice. This transition was kind of sudden as I noticed no subtle merger - it just kind of changed around mid bowl. The perique content seemed almost perfect! I don't have a lot of VaPers in my regular rotation, but this one demanded to be added. It fits in nicely between the heavy flavor bomb of GLP's Telegraph Hill and the lighter and sweeter G&H Louisiana Flake. This one was so expertly balanced that it would make a wonderful all-day smoke. As SteelCowboy says, this is pretty straightforward but it is far from ordinary. It brought old Escudo to mind before the multiple changes to that blend. Not as complex, perhaps.

Once again, Ernie Q shows that he bows down to no blender and can certainly show a thing or two to a lot of them. Highly and hugely recommended to all VaPer fans.

Heliumbro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Heliumbro (13)

(I am a newer and irregular pipe smoker. My reviews are subject to my preferences and tastes and pipe smoking habits)

I have been smoking this blend from Watch City off and on now for a few months. SteelCowboys review is pretty spot on for this blend.

It comes in the familiar 'Crumble Flake' fashion from Ernie and is a dark rusty brown overall color. The smell is rich and heavy of Virginia, very similar to SG FVF, but with that extra little note of dark fruit/figs from the Perique, but it is very faint. I am not sure of the age when I purchased this blend, but after several months 'whole' in a mason jar before being rubbed out, I noticed a plume developing on the tobacco. I pack relatively light when I smoke and try to keep a slow pace, and this tobacco was perfect for that. Of the three VaPer blend I have from WCC (558, Hampton Rd and Old Dominion) this is by far my favourite. The overall character of this smoke was Virginia sweetness and some mild vinegar notes. The Perique was very light, to me, and could only be detected occasionally when I noticed little black pepper tingles. But there was a rich, dark, rounded 'note/taste' present that helped add a little oomph to this blend. When I return to Watch City I will be ordering more of this and cellaring it, with SteelCowboys recommendation. This blend comes well made and at a great price, for me. A 'light on the Perique black pepper' VaPer that I am really happy with.

Pipe Used: Est. Fr. Briar Bent Bulldog