Cavendish tobacco, doubly fermented to produce an extremely mild smoking tobacco enhanced with the sweetness and aroma of black cherries.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsCavendish
2.6
Ewoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ewoth (5)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

I found this to be extremely difficult to light on account of the excess moisture, and when I did get it lit, I could hardly taste or smell anything that reminded me of cherries. Where is that cherry blend that my grandfather smoked and turned me onto the pipe in the first place? Certainly not here.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have realized that I no longer like "Cherry" flavor anymore, but for those of you who do, this blend may be your "Holy Grail"

Appearance: Black Cavendish, with an exquisite cherry topping.

Packing: Easy due to the almost shag cut.

Lighting: Even though moist, lights easily.

Initial Flavor: High quality Cherry.

Mid-bowl: Still Cherry, but the cavendish in this blend is of very high quality. I keep getting nice hints of the leaf and wish the topping were not as strong.

Bottom of bowl: Slight build up of strength and it is over.

Overall: This is a smooth high quality blend that rarely is prone to giving tongue-bite. The casing is more "natural" tasting than most of this type. My problem is that the casing is too heavy for me and I just don't care for this type of flavor anymore.

Rating: 4 out of 5 points for an aromatic.

Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Kendal Black Cherry . This seems to get a mixed reaction so this is my view , we must remember that our tastes are subjective ! The unlit Tobacco emanates one of the best aromas I have smelled as of yet , being very Sweet and "Cherry" like , reminding me of a Christmas Pudding and if you draw through your pipe "unlit" the taste is amazing . On the negative side it is very moist and could really use an extra airing period but with a little tenacity mine was lit ! The taste of this one makes the hard labour in lighting it more than worth while , the smoke is (like the aroma) sumptuously sweet and full of the Cherry taste and the Nicotine level is fabulous for me as it is about like Sam Gawith Black Cherry . The Cherry flavour does not dissipate any as the bowl burns on and it gives a splendid even burn . It does not taste false and chemical like but has a very honest/true/full Cherry flavour , highly recommended !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Lands Tobacconist Stratford

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith Black Cherry.

BranburyNo.4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BranburyNo.4 (2)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

This tobacco has come under some fire for it's very mild qualities but as I exclusively smoke aromatic tobacco and believe milder the better, there can be nothing but praise from me! I had none of the mentioned problems lighting or keeping it lit but I bought it in a small quantity from a tobacconist rather than in a pouch so perhaps this could have affected the moisture content. The smoke is relatively thick and smooth with a gloriously mild, sweet flavour- I have never enjoyed smoking a tobacco be it cigarette, cigar or pipe as much as this one. I would have to go as far as to say it is my favourite pipe tobacco. I'm quite particular in my tobacco tastes but this really clicked with me. By the bottom of the bowl it does become somewhat darker and stronger but in no way does this overshadow the sheer smoking pleasure of the first 90% or so of the bowl. Top it off with a room note even most non-smokers enjoy and in my personal opinion you have a first class aromatic tobacco. Even if it doesn't sound like your thing, give it a go- you may be pleasantly surprised.

LimeyPipeSmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LimeyPipeSmoker (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This was my first tobacco when I took up pipe smoking and I recommend it to anyone taking it up as a first tobacco.

A word of advice though: it comes quite moist and is a little tricky to get going so I recommend letting it dry a little before smoking. It starts off rather mild tasting and builds as you progress through the bowl into a very pleasant, sweet flavour.

Despite moving onto Perique blends I still occasionally come back to the Black Cherry for a change or when at the pub (simply because it's not going to bite no matter how fast you smoke it and no matter how much you drink)

All in all a rather nice tobacco despite being a little on the weak side.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the first of the Gawith blends that I have tried that I would have second thoughts about buying again, (and I have tried many, many, of their blends). With the other blends that I have tried, the flavoring(s), have always intermingled with the high quality base tobacco that has been used. I have smoked this blend at least a half-a-dozen and have come to the same conclusion everytime; namely, I am reminded of the aftertaste of cough medicaine on my taste buds. Yes, it does burn beautifully, the scent to the people around me is more than acceptable, yet, I do not feel this warrents this blend to become a main stay in my celler. Next time I have a cold is probably when I will select this blend again.

Bluebottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluebottle (18)
Very Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco is temperamental to pack, so may take several lights to get going proper.

I usually buy this loose, but the pre=packed stuff is almost as good - the wetter the better since it then lasts well and you can use the drier bits from the top of the pouch first.

A very pleasant smoke, however it can leave quite a large amount of dottle - depending on speed of smoke, it's double fermented which gives a lovely rich taste.

All in all a very satisfying tobacco - one indeed that I started on, and very tolerable to those around you.

smokemonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokemonkey (3)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this and rather found it moorish, obviously wet boiled processed (not smoke cured) to get that deep smell and taste cherry flavour, really feels like your sucking on a cherry sweet while smoking.. need a nice long match to light. Can't say anything bad about this product at all.

If that guy can't detect cherries, then his taste buds must be on strike or something, as it reeks of cherries to me, it's also a nice meaty black tobac.

Pipe Used: Canadian

Age When Smoked: as bought

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (28)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

i bought a 25g pouch of this tobacco a couple of days ago.upon opening the pouch the aroma is quite nice and the look of the tobacco was nice and dark..but...it was so dry to the touch..so i first had to put some moisture back into it..and i had to rub it out as it was far to course..now having tried 'sweet peach' and 'cherry and vanilla' i thought this 'black cherry' was going to be a nice smoke....wrong!!!..for me its tasteless and bland..and not nice at all..i did give a it fair shot..but in the end i mixed it with the last of some 'sweet peach' that i had..and it still was not very good. so i wont be buying this kendal tobacco again, others may like it..but i didnt.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It does have a nice black cherry taste, but it sure does stick around for a while after you smoke it, probably for longer than you may want it to. Nice and mild, but it just didn't do a whole lot for me. I could see this ghosting a pipe. Burned fine even though it was a little moist.

silvermachine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
silvermachine (1)

Not long into pipe smoking, tried this as my uncle used to smoke black cherry years ago...Bought from Morans in Belfast who have a plentiful supply. this is the first cherry tobacco i have tried that actually tastes how it smells, not easy to keep lit but gets better the more you smoke it,a good firm tamp helps! I smoke Falcons and i think that gives it the extra cool smoke with very little dottle and smokes right down. Everybody likes the aroma in the room, a very satisfying aromatic indeed!

Goodlife Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Goodlife (4)

Gawith Hoggarth Black Cherry offers a satisfying and aromatic smoking experience. I purchased it in a 25g pouch, and as soon as the pouch opened, a very strong aroma of cherry flavouring was evident. The fragrance was not what I would call a genuine cherry aroma, but a sugary sweet one, akin to confectionary.

The tobacco seemed to consist totally of rubbed cavendish, black in colour, and moist. It was stringy, and spongy to the touch. It almost felt goopy. On handling the cavendish, it felt as if I was touching a rich fruit cake in the tin.

For the first few bowls, Black Cherry was difficult to light and keep lit. This was due to the moisture content present. The burn created 'chars' instead of fine dottle, but this improved as I cellared the tobacco for a few days.

The taste is mild to medium, and - like the pouch and burn aroma - is not genuinely a cherry flavour. It is pleasant, sweet and almost syroupy, but it is not a truthful cherry taste. Towards the end of the bowl, the aroma and taste get a little darker.

I credit this tobacco with its lack of tongue bite. However enthusiastically I puff, it just does not bite. It is a cool burning tobacco. It leaves an intense cherry smell in the pipe after smoking, and has a pleasant room note that will prove enjoyable with innocent bystanders!

Somewhat recommended for those with a sweet tooth.