Cavendish tobacco, doubly fermented to produce an extremely mild smoking tobacco enhanced with the sweetness and aroma of black cherries.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsCavendish
FlavoringCherry
Strength
Medium, Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Very Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant
2.6
Mild to Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

Kendal - Black Cherry.

This seems to get a mixed reaction so this is my view, we must remember that our tastes are subjective!

The unlit tobacco emanates one of the best aromas I have smelled as of yet, being very Sweet and cherry-like, reminding me of a Christmas pudding and if you draw through your pipe unlit the taste is amazing. On the negative side it is very moist and could really use an extra airing period but with a little tenacity mine was lit! The taste of this one makes the hard labour in lighting it more than worth while, the smoke is (like the aroma) sumptuously sweet and full of the cherry taste and the nicotine level is fabulous for me as it is about like Sam Gawith Black Cherry. The cherry flavour doesn't dissipate any as the bowl burns on and it gives a splendid even burn. It does not taste false and chemical like but has a very honest/true/full cherry flavour:

highly recommended!

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Lands Tobacconist Stratford

Similar Blends: Sam Gawith Black Cherry.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

It does have a nice, mildly rich black cherry topping, and does stick around for a while after you smoke it. There's little tobacco taste except for a little grass. The nic-hit is mild. Won't bite, but has a rough edge. Burns a little slow with a fairly consistent flavor, except for a minor bitterness at the finish and in the after taste. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and needs some relights. I could see this ghosting a pipe. Not an all day smoke.

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have realized that I no longer like "Cherry" flavor anymore, but for those of you who do, this blend may be your "Holy Grail"

Appearance: Black Cavendish, with an exquisite cherry topping.

Packing: Easy due to the almost shag cut.

Lighting: Even though moist, lights easily.

Initial Flavor: High quality Cherry.

Mid-bowl: Still Cherry, but the cavendish in this blend is of very high quality. I keep getting nice hints of the leaf and wish the topping were not as strong.

Bottom of bowl: Slight build up of strength and it is over.

Overall: This is a smooth high quality blend that rarely is prone to giving tongue-bite. The casing is more "natural" tasting than most of this type. My problem is that the casing is too heavy for me and I just don't care for this type of flavor anymore.

Rating: 4 out of 5 points for an aromatic.

smokemonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokemonkey (3)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tried this and rather found it moorish, obviously wet boiled processed (not smoke cured) to get that deep smell and taste cherry flavour, really feels like your sucking on a cherry sweet while smoking.. need a nice long match to light. Can't say anything bad about this product at all.

If that guy can't detect cherries, then his taste buds must be on strike or something, as it reeks of cherries to me, it's also a nice meaty black tobac.

Pipe Used: Canadian

Age When Smoked: as bought

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (61)
Medium Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

25g pouch.

Contents: Chunky broken black Cavendish flake, totally dried out pouch.

Aroma: Vanilla - Black cherry, talcum powder, floral soap, cosmetic product.

Being dried out its perfect moisture because I always dry my aromatics out so that I smoke them rather than vape them.

Light up, is of a cool dark tobacco; the aromatic property and deep dark woodyness reminds me instantly of my first ever pouch of Condor ready rubbed, and the deep dark stoved depth reminds me of Revor Plug..

This is a broken Cavendish flake that smokes smooth and nothing like the word Cavendish suggests. It smokes like a twist and folded dark flake and absolutely doesn't bite. Its sweet rich and full, also smokey. Its not gloopy or sticky. Its a kind of powdery smoke.

The aroma and taste is undeniably black cherry with light vanilla; its floral also like a Lakeland. The aroma is like walking past a Lush shop or The Body shop in a high street selling cosmetic products. The taste has a certain soapy ness. Its like a black cherry smelly bar of soap. Soo aromatic, it changes the taste of my cup of tea.

So yeah, as an aromatic, it has the properties I wish my previous experiences with other aromatics would of had.. It is aromatic, burns cool, tastes sweet, tastes consistent down the bowl, no sicky or sticky tangy interferance.

Burns down slowly to a clean dry fluffy ash, but note my pouch was already dry. I don't believe having moisture would do anything to improve this and would possibly interfere with the quality of the experience I just had with it.

Its an aromatic that smokes like a proper tobacco and I am sure would be a proper crowd pleaser. I normally don't really smell what I smoke ,but this has filled my flat like an air freshener.

Its an aromatic bomb ,and so although capable of being an all day tobacco because of the tobacco within, I would reserve this as a once a day or once a while smoke because I don't believe I would appreciate prolonged sessions. The more I smoke of a single aromatic the more I cease to taste it.. Aromatics taste best the more I leave them alone.

This for me was a 4 star smoking experience. I don't know if I will buy it again when I finish the pouch though; i only bought it because the shop had a shit selection and I didn't want to walk away with nothing. I didn't know this was made by Gawith & Hoggarth either which is why I left it so long before smoking it. It smoked nothing like I was expecting - I thought it would just be another generic cheapo OTC but I was well wrong. It totally delivers.

Pipe Used: Faclon Bantam XL Spool bowl

Purchased From: Newsagent. Poole Quay

Similar Blends: Condor Ready Rubbed, Revor Plug, A bar of smelly soap..

DEN-C1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DEN-C1956 (32)
Extremely Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

i bought a 25g pouch of this tobacco a couple of days ago.upon opening the pouch the aroma is quite nice and the look of the tobacco was nice and dark..but...it was so dry to the touch..so i first had to put some moisture back into it..and i had to rub it out as it was far to course..now having tried 'sweet peach' and 'cherry and vanilla' i thought this 'black cherry' was going to be a nice smoke....wrong!!!..for me its tasteless and bland..and not nice at all..i did give a it fair shot..but in the end i mixed it with the last of some 'sweet peach' that i had..and it still was not very good. so i wont be buying this kendal tobacco again, others may like it..but i didnt.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

This is the first of the Gawith blends that I have tried that I would have second thoughts about buying again, (and I have tried many, many, of their blends). With the other blends that I have tried, the flavoring(s), have always intermingled with the high quality base tobacco that has been used. I have smoked this blend at least a half-a-dozen and have come to the same conclusion everytime; namely, I am reminded of the aftertaste of cough medicaine on my taste buds. Yes, it does burn beautifully, the scent to the people around me is more than acceptable, yet, I do not feel this warrents this blend to become a main stay in my celler. Next time I have a cold is probably when I will select this blend again.