A similar blend of pure virginia leaf as Bright CR Flake, but with the addition of some special virginia casings to enhance the natural sweetness of the leaf, finished off with a light top flavour of Honey Dew and other sweet flavourings which all combine after pressing to provide a mild sweet gently aromatic smoke.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Honey, Irish Mist, Other / Misc, Whisky
Strength
Taste

2.9
puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (73)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of those category of tobaccos that people told me to stay away from when I first started smoking a pipe. "Ick, you won't like that stuff, soapy nasty, blech." Thank goodness I finally stopped letting "those" people influence me. I was smoking crap pipes and crap tobacco. I finally made my way into a tobacco shop and started buying better pipes, ultimately premium pipes, but I was still smoking crap tobacco and about to quit the pipe altogether! Then I started experimenting with all of those "ick" tobaccos and discovered paradise. What does all of that have to do with Glengarry Flake? Nothing, I just like reminiscing!

After many years I just retried GF last week. Yummy! The first bowl immediately rekindled memories. At first I thought I don't know, maybe not. But then it kicked in and I've smoked several bowls. Perfume, oils, special essence of the Valkyries, whatever it is it's good! However I can definitely understand how some could hate it. You definitely want dedicated bowls for this kind of tobacco. It is a rough cut cake but not unmanageable. Give it a try, there is amazingly no bite and loads of flavor!

UPDATE 10/22/07: This stuff just keeps getting better. IT should have five stars!

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

By far the worst of the GHC offerings.

Don't get me wrong, I love lakelands, but this stuff is undoubtedly the worst of its kind.

The flavouring is rather flat and does not manage to introduce any real depth to the experience. Instead it offers a range of unusual headaches (nothing to do with the nicotine content) and a struggle, as you try and avoid getting bitten. All this didn't manage to relax me and if a tobacco cannot do that well, it's a complete failure.

For the life of me I cannot understand why Glengarry is so popular.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (76)

An excellent Lakeland Flake that is on the mild side of the spectrum both in terms of the floral flavoring and overall strength. On charring light an ever so slight honeysuckle like essence is detectable but this quickly dissipates, giving way to a very straight forward Virginia smoke that fits nicely into that pleasant all day pipe tobacco type category. This flake is of the highest quality, rubs out easily and smokes perfectly. A small amount of dry time is recommended, but still smokes well without. There's very little complexity with this one, but the straight forward sweet grassy flavor of Glengarry is undeniably superb. Highly recommended

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

When I first ordered this, early on in my pipesmoking career, I ordered it purely on the extremely flimsy pretext of having just watched the film Glengarry Glenross, proof enough that I'm still acting my shoe size and not my age.

My impressions, first time around, were a little disappointing, though my reasons for thinking so are shrouded in a haze of pipe smoke. This time round though, things are a little better. This one has grown on me slowly but surely.

Both the packet aroma and the room note, as with the flavour itself, are hard to pin down, maybe little hints of flowers sprinkled with early morning dew during a pleasant August break to the country, wiffs of oak and other such wonders of the English countryside. While not an easy pack or light, it is a lovely slow burner and a pipeful can last me over an hour on the one light. There is no tonguebite whatsoever, but I found it can be a little harsh on the throat. This so makes me want to camping in the wilds of Britain, just so I can sit round a log fire while my beans cook so I can smoke this and sing Jethro Tull songs. My only complaint is that I don't have enough.

My initial forays into GH pipe tobaccos has been a bit of a disappointment, especially after sampling their impeccable snuff. At last, I have found one that I can finally call home.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (110)

I see that Glengarry Flake has had some mixed reviews - more evidence (if any was needed) of how widely people's tastes vary. In my view, it has all the advantages of the Lakeland flakes and none of the drawbacks. There is a casing of some kind, but it's pleasant and, to my palate, not ‘soapy' or ‘floral.' I don't usually share this common objection to the Kendal tobaccos anyway, with one or two exceptions (notably Ennerdale Flake). I've smoked quite a lot of Glengarry Flake, and never found the casing obtrusive or unpleasant. The quality and smoking characteristics are very uniform over time, too. I don't understand the description of it as 'gently aromatic': this isn't an aromatic tobacco in the usual sense of the term.

I find that Glengarry Flake lights well, burns slowly says consistent all the way down the bowl, doesn't leave behind any unpleasant residues, and has a respectable room note. It's not murderously strong, either. A good, slow, cool all-day smoke for the flake lover. I would say that it's on a par with G & H's Brown Flake and Louisiana Flake, but subtly different.

'Breathsmoking' is the way to get the best out of this tobacco. The more gently and slowly you take it, the better it is. At its best, it's very, very good, IMO. I'm inclined to recommend Glengarry Flake highly. Some people clearly dislike it, but it's well worth a try, I think.

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)

I think this is the most genuine G and H flake I have sampled thus far and I am working through them methodically. It has none of the horrid almondy casing found in Ennerdale and is all the better for it. It is yet another cool, sweet, slow-burning, high quality Virginia. It may well have some flavouring/casing, but I am not clever enough to detect it.

My only criticism, is that that by the last third of my pouch, it had collapsed into rather horrid little crumbs, which smoked like musty hay. That does not happen with Ennerdale. Please note that when I sample a tobacco, that is all I smoke, until it has been consumed completely. I believe this is the only way to make a proper assessment, although if you get a bad one, it is a daunting task!

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

If you like the Lake District flavored flakes, you are probably going to like this one. It is first rate quality with excellent tobacco taste. It is not heavily scented as say, Bosun's, Conniston, or No. 7, but it does possess a trace of that unique aroma found in many of the G&H blends. For the most part it is straight tobacco, and it is plenty sweet. You won't find heliotrope, cloves or other exotic flavors. I make this out to be just good, straight tobacco with a lightly scented sweetener added. This could be an all day smoke for the lover of this type of Virginia flake. This tobacco, I think, could bite if pushed, but when enjoyed in small sips, it is a fine smoke. I smoke it slightly moist which makes for a slow burn. Well recommended. Paddy.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another one of those Lakeland flakes where the flavorings are used to enhance the high quality tobaccos, and, usually not overwhelm them. This flake makes for a nice change of pace to this usual Kendal Dark smoker. The experience becomes smoother as one advances the length of the bowl. It also becomes a bit more difficult as one progresses to taste the tobacco coming through the flavoring. Maybe this is the result of the palate becoming coated by the flavoring agents, I'm not sure. Overall, a nice change of pace but not a smoke I would look forward to on a daily basis.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

This is my first Lakeland style flake, chosen due to its lighter amount of topping. When I first received the 2 oz. bag I found the scent a bit overpowering, being used to straight flakes. My initial smoking of it left me feeling the flavoring overwhelmed any actual tobacco taste. I didn't dislike the flavoring itself but just wanted some VA taste to go with it. After several months much of this aroma and the accompanying taste were lessened but I still didn't get much tobacco taste out of it, either. I prefer either Bright CR if in the mood for an unadulterated light VA, or Rum Flake if I want a scented VA.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

I'm not a big fan of G&H tobaccos. And this one hasn't changed my mind about them. Not a bad tobacco but not a good one either. It's a nice quality flake that burns good but they missed it with the flavoring. There is a little miss in the blending as well. Nice try G&H but try again!

Like the esteemed OSR, I found Glengarry Flake to be a little flat in both strength and flavor. And like G&H Rum Flake sometimes does, this offering left the back of my throat a little bit roughed up.

I received Glengarry Flake as a sample tossed in with a recent tobacco order, and mine was at a perfect moisture level. Experience has taught me that these Lakeland Flakes normally need considerable drying before being smoked.

I concur with OSR, this offering would be a good first foray into the Lakelands.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

This isn't bad... in fact, this may be a good tobacco for one who is looking for an introduction to Lakeland type flakes (meaning flavored).

All in all, this was a bit "thin" to me. There is a good VA base here and while there is nothing negative to report, I will say that Ennerdale is a much better tobacco for me, it is similar to Glengarry flake but has more nicotine oomph and also has a more pleasant flavoring added.

Again - not bad but given the choice between this and Ennerdale it's a no brainer for me... Just not enough OOMPH here for me. A good primer for the Lakeland style flakes for the novice.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Glengarry Flake is clearly in the GH "soap flake" category. Unlike a previous reviewer, I find each of these floral-scented flakes has a distinct personality, but I can also understand that unless you can fully embrace the soap-flake concept, these are all fairly uniform and hard to stomach. (All the various tequilas taste the same to me- abominable.)

I prefer to smoke these scented flakes in a smallish meer dedicated to these offerings, as they are best appreciated IMO in small doses and will definitely "taint" what ever pipe they are smoked in.

Compared to other scented Gawith flakes, GF is fairly restrained, and for that reason is one of my favorites. Ennerdale Flake, for example, is much more aromatic. It also seems to have slightly less nicotine than some of the others, though still packs a punch.GF is a nicely complemented Bright CF Flake and a good "jumping-off" place for trying the scented Lakeland flakes.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to say- There is a reason one should not review a tobacco until they have smoked at least a couple of ounces of it. When I first tried this tobacco I was totally impressed. It was my first Gawith tobacco that I had tried. It was wonderful. The Virginias were sweet and rich and the flavoring seemed to put this tobacco over the top. I loved it. As I smoked my way down the sample however, I have to say the flavoring started to turn me off. The Virginia here is without peer. It can get nippy, but overall it is just what I like. The perfume they add to this gets old quick however, and it just isn't worth it. With the strong casing I have to definitely be in the mood for this and I find that that doesn't happen often enough to warrant buying more. If you like this particular casing however, I don't think you can go wrong.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is the second Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. flake I've reviewed. There are certainly elements common to at least a few of their scented flakes. I have a confession to make before I write my review in ernest: I'm beginnning to like these scented flakes from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. The first few times I tried them, I enjoyed them most once the flavoring had burned off. Now, I'm actually enjoying that soapy, perfumy flavor. I've long been a straight Virginia or Va/Perique smoker, so this has been quite a change for me (and I'm considering seeking therapy to contend with the changes in my self-image that have accompanied this discovery ). Seriously, while I doubt they'll replace my all-time favorites, such as Escudo and Astley's 109, they have certainly won themselves a place in my tobacco rotation.

Just as with other Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. blends, the tin nose (or perhaps bag nose, in this case) scared me. The perfumy smell sets off warning bells in my head-- this is a scent I associate with cologne, not tobacco. But, in the interests of tobacco science, I steeled my nerves and packed my first bowl of it into an Ashton XX Pebbleshell (I've since smoked more of it, though in the same pipe because I'm a little concerned with flavor bleed-over).

Though the initial lighting took some effort, I found it burned extremely well thereafter. I let it dry slightly before smoking it, though right out of the packaging it certainly would have been smokable (the drying was incidental rather than intentional). Most of the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. flakes look pretty similar and this one is no exception. The tobacco runs from light tan to dark brown.

Though I found the perfumy, soapy flavor to recede as I was smoking the bowl, it remained throughout in this case (with other flakes from GH&C, I found the flavoring receded more quickly). Of course, now that I've been converted to liking the perfuminess, this is something I'm quite delighted with.

In spite of the perfumy flavors, the underlying virginias certainly make themselves known. There's a heavy, full-bodied-ness here that I've found with all of the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co flakes that I've smoked so far. There's a sweetness of the Virginias that is independent of the flavorings. It seems to reign in the top-note well-- offering a roundedness between the heaviness of the virginias and the clear high-notes created by the topping.

In summation, this is certainly a tobacco that I'll return to from time to time. I doubt I'll tear through the couple of ounces I have, but it will certainly be a welcome change of pace for me a couple of times per week for the next few weeks.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

I've smoked 2 oz. of Glengarry Flake in the past 2 weeks and it's becoming one of my favorite blends. The pouch aroma is wonderful; it smells like a high quality VA with just a touch of sweetening added. I love to just stick my nose in the jar and smell it.

I'm pretty much a straight VA smoker, but this blend is sweetened so perfectly that I don't mind. In fact, I'm starting to prefer it to many natural VAs. As with all GH flakes, the presentation is lovely: beautiful 6" flakes with varying shades of brown.

I prefer to fill by folding the intact flake and stuffing it into the pipe. I have found that a loose pack has worked best. It lights easy and stays lit. The flavor is sweet and slightly tangy and the flavor builds throughout the bowl. As a previous review stated, the slightly sweet casing is best perceived by smelling the tobacco, but is ever so slight when smoking. This is an excellent blend to start the day with, due to its light, sweet flavor. I have smoked Glengarry Flake in an assortment of briars and meerschaums and found it performs well in all.

For me, Glengarry Flake was a wonderful discovery. I plan to buy a lot for cellaring. I could be wrong, but I feel Bright CR Flake, Glengarry Flake, and Ennerdale Flake are composed of the same tobaccos. Bright CR Flake has no casing, Glengarry Flake has a little casing, and Ennerdale Flake has a generous and different casing. I have read that Ennerdale is the most popular, but I prefer Bright CR and Glengarry so far.

ADDENDUM: I am now buying Glengarry Flake by the pound (500g, actually); it has become my "go to" tobacco, edging out McClelland 2015. It is a nice summer tobacco that's easy on the tongue.

Mr. Ubiquity Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Ubiquity (16)

This tobacco really hits me the right way. I suppose it could become an all day smoke, because it has enough strength to stay interesting without being overbearing. Relights are quite pleasant, and the tobacco benefits from DGT. The aromatic nature of this smoke is ever so mild, coming out in the smell rather than the taste. I sense no soapiness at all. It is a bit moist, and needs drying out a tad, but other than that it's lovely. If you like Luxury Twist, you will likely enjoy this broken flake.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After smoking such other Gawith Hoggarth blends as Conniston and Ennerdale, I can't call this "soapy." Moreover, the fragrance in the tin becomes very mild in the flavor. It is present, but actually compliments the already-excellent steamed tobacco taste. I smoke this when I want a cool, slightly sweet, great smelling tobacco, which is pretty often. And don't be put off by the word "honeydew." I defy anyone to actually identify any melon flavor if they didn't hear about it first. Yum.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

An interesting tobacco with some merit . The flavoring is the classic "soap" flavor . I'd have to be a soap enthusiast to be able to tell the difference in this flavoring and similar G&H soap flavors . Still , once lit the tobacco loses a lot of the soapiness , fading mostly into the background , and the VA flavors come to the front . I don't smoke heavily cased aromatics , but when I'm in the mood for something sweet this fits the bill . Aromatic smokers might find this "lightly flavored" .

Medium Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Having read mixed reviews on this I approached it with some trepidation ! Rubbing out was relatively easy as too was the lighting and it stayed lit well . I found the smoke both thick and delightful . The smoke was full yet not too heavy and I found a subtle aromatic hint . In all it ticked many right boxes for me ... flavor , thickness ,aroma and consistency in the burn , very good !

Pipe Used: Peterson

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 52;

Rated Percentage = 87%;

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, light Fruity honey dew sort of Flavor, slight After Taste.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (55)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

To me, this flake is almost pure Virginia for me. The smell of the flake is very gentle, not too many aromas I could detect from the smell alone.

A very mild casing was done her I am guessing... some faint hints of honey for sure, and maybe just maybe some fruity jams. An all day smoke, but I prefer FVF after it has been dried for a few hours.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This has some great burning characteristics, but the strenght and scent of it are a bit much. I still smoke it 3-4 times a week because it is unique. Can't do it every day, but I still like it. It's Virginia with a medium/strong scent. Still quite good.

Glengarry Flake is a solid, middle of the road Lakeland style flake from GH. It isn't too soapy or too floral. As one of the other reviewer mentioned, it is a good starting place for the pipe smokers that want to begin smoking Lakeland style blends. The flakes only need a small amount of dry time and I prefer to smoke it fully rubbed out. GF smokes cleanly to the bottom of the bowl, but even with the lesser amount of Lakeland scents, it will still need to be smoked in a pipe that is dedicated to Lakelands. The flavor is slightly sweet and a bit “hay-like.” It shares some the same flavor profile as GH's Rich Dark Honeydew (a blend that is very hard to find here in the US) but I must admit that in a blind taste test I don't think I would identify the flavor as honeydew. I enjoy Glengarry fresh from the tobacco shop, but I am much fonder of Glengarry when it has been aged. The flakes darken and the flavor really deepens. Glengarry is a great blend for the cellar! Recommended.

The topping is light here; here you will not find the overwhelming "Lakeland essences" of Ennerdale, or even of Kendal Flake. The "light honeydew" topping goes well with this type of Virginia, which is claimed to be a similar blend to Bright CR Flake (one of my favorites from GH), and is never overwhelming. Indeed, it is quite subtle to my tastes, though I have smoked many of the more strongly topped and floral offerings from GH and SG, so perhaps I am somewhat jaded. There are those who are so turned off by these "Lakeland essences" that they will claim to find them in a product such as Brown Flake Unscented, which might have picked up something of a whiff of those essences simply by being in the same room as the likes of Ennerdale and Kendal, but for those like me who enjoy the entire spectrum of GH tobaccos in their varying degrees of flavorings and scents, this tobacco is just right for those times when, though I may not want a very strongly scented Lakeland flake, I also do not want a purely unscented Virginia either.

As always with this manufacturer, the quality of the Virginias used is excellent, and I do tend to believe the description when it claims the blend is similar to Bright CR: it tastes like Bright CR with a very mild topping. This would be a good tobacco for lovers of Virginia Flake who would like to begin to explore those "Lakeland essences," which seem to be almost of a love-it-or-hate-it nature, without going straight to loading up one's pipe with the likes of Ennerdale Flake.

The flake is attractive and somewhat mottled, though with the lighter shades predominating, and breaks apart easily. Since I have been smoking this flake, it seems to be one of those tobaccos that require some relights, and I am not sure why, but it may be simply because with this blend, I like to sip very slowly and lightly, as this seems to give me the best results taste-wise.

No hint of bite, just a clean, gentle smoke with only that subtle touch of flavorings, and a very pleasant room note. I have no problems with it in any way, though there may be nothing overwhelmingly enthralling or knock-your-socks-off special about it. It is just the usual quality Virginia smoke one would expect from GH, on the low (but not no!) end of the flavorings spectrum. Recommended!

Edit: 5-19-13

Glengarry Flake is actually a good blend for any GH fan to keep around. When you get tired of the really flowery, Lakelandy blends like Ennerdale or Kendal for the moment, this one provides a much purer Virginia smoke, with just a light touch of sweetness, sort of that "honeydew" thing, but again, very mild topping. It's like Bright CR Flake, if anyone has tried that, but a little milder on the nicotine, and with only a touch of flavoring. Certainly no aromatic. I've got a few bowls left, and could see getting some quantity at some point.

Pleasant room note and an easy smoker -- I didn't get any 'Lakeland' notes, just a light pleasantly (but not overwhelmly) sweet casing over some good Virginas, with the latter coming out in the last 1/3 of the bowl.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

A light virginia flake with a light, sweet honey topping. All round lightness is the order of the day here, which was quite a surprise from a G, H & co. flake. But there you go. I didn't taste anything floral but then I didn't get huge flavour of any kind.

A nice tobacco and a winner for those looking for a lighter tobacco without tons of weird topping or nicotine just a bit too light for my tastes.

Highly recommended to some, not recommended to others. So 3 stars, I guess.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

If anyone is put off or afraid of Lakeland flakes due to their "soapy" or "floral" character and doesn't want to be overwhelmed with dark taste or nicotine, this is what I would recommend. Both the flavor and the flavorings are subdued, with just a bit of the Lakeland essence coming through. This is a "tweenie" - somewhere between the dark unflavored G&H blends and their more heavily flavored ones. Ditto blends like Perique Flake and the various brown flakes. But where those leave their own mark of complexity and depth, this one falls a bit short in that department.

I find nothing to dislike here and indeed I give this a 3 star rating, which is "recommended". As mentioned, it is a good starter Lakeland, neither overly sweet nor complex. The taste is of the proverbial grassy, slightly sweet nature. Nothing too offputting. However, it simply doesn't distinguish itself the way other G&H flakes do. The flavor is a bit too subdued for my tastebuds. The aroma, however, is fantastic! If the smoker wanted a natural taste but a great room note, this is one place to go. Recommended as a good "all-dayer" but might leave you wanting when a more robust flavor is desired.

Quoll Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quoll (17)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

I was a bit spoiled when trying this, as I had 50g of each of the GH flakes to work through and to my palate, this came last. To be fair though, it is still a heck of a lot better than most high street stuff and a good tobacco in its own right.

Big, rough flakes. Pale browns throughout and a grassy, sweet pouch note with the promise of some good Virginia ahead. (I am a bit of a Virginia fan.). I can't detect a casing in the unlit state, but it is a different story once it is going.

This one was another just about perfect tobacco in terms of livability. Just the right moisture level, easy to light, easy to keep going, burns to a nice clean ash and didn't get too hot. I find it a bit too mild for my taste, which probably explains why I got some tongue bite from going at it a bit too hard. The smoke is there in volume and I enjoyed the brightness of the sweet Virginia. What I didn't like though was the way the casing comes through so strongly in the smoke. I absolutely hate aromatic tobaccos for the same reason. I wouldn't call this an aromatic - it is more subtle than that - but I was just overwhelmed with the chemicals (whatever they are) used to case it. It ruined the smoke for me. Others may not mind the sweet casing, of course, but for me it spoiled an otherwise good smoke.

Just two stars from me.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

**Update-I kept smoking this stuff off and on trying to decide whether or not I liked it as much as I thought. Before I know it, I'd gone through an ounce of it. Guess that means I like it. Glengarry will never replace Erinmore Flake for me, though in the future it may have to, but I like it enough to buy it in bulk. Once I got past the feeling it gave me of being an English fancy pants smoke, I really enjoy it. It burns so well, and so cool. My palate finally translated the perfumy taste into a warm sweet aroma, reminiscent of flowers, but definitely not soapy or perfumy. I will upgrade this to three and a half stars, maybe four if I can completely shake the feeling that I should be dressed in a silk bathrobe when I smoke it. -----------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start off by stating that this is really better than two stars, but I would only "somewhat recommend" it due to its floral overtones. In other words, there's not a doubt in my mind that more than a few people would hate it.

I wanted to try the lakeland style, and since it's available in bulk, I was able to buy just a few flakes rather than a whole tin. I find Erinmore to be delectable, so I thought I would probably enjoy this stuff.

This tobacco lights fairly easily, and stays lit really well (at least in a large Peterson Irish Army straight shank). The floral taste only lasted about thirty seconds or so, then settled into a tobacco flavor with slightly sweet, slightly flowery overtones throughout the rest of the smoke. It is definitely very high quality.

Smoking it was a little strange. Not bad, not unpleasant, just strange. It seemed 'snooty'; almost like it was saying that I wasn't good enough to be smoking it. Whereas a full English blend makes me think of mustachioed gentlemen in a walnut panelled billiards room, Glengarry brought to mind English noblemen in powdered wigs and shoes with big gold buckles on them.

Then it hit me. One of my favorite television shows is the BBC comedy 'Keeping up Appearances'. This tobacco is what she would want her husband to smoke. I can see Hyacinth marching into the den to tell Richard that he really must start smoking Glengarry Flake, as "all the men of Windsor smoke the Lakeland variety of tobaccos". And Richard would whine, "..but why can't I smoke my Rattray's Accountant Mixture?" Tsking, Hyacinth would simply reply, "An accountant, Richard? You're too good for that."

I found Glengarry to be good, but it was very reserved and understated in overall character. If ever there was a tobacco with a stiff upper lip, this is it. That's not to say it isn't good; it is. I just had the distinct feeling that it was meant for someone of a more reserved, genteel, disposition than I.

Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

If flakes are what you enjoy this one is worth a try. A very nice smoke for a change of pace. Not one of my top five flakes as yet. Three and one quarter stars out of four.

Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

02-11-2005 Another Classic Flake.

Appearance and Aroma: This one comes only in bulk. The Flake are about 6" by 1 1/4" and look light brown to medium brown with some birdseye here and there. It smells slightly perfumy and sweet.

Packing and Lighting: While I typically rub out my flakes, this did better with the roll and stuff method. It was at he right moiture straight out of my tobacconist's glass jar and lit after 2-3 lights.

Initial Flavor: I like these Lake District blends and this one seems to have the least "soap" of the bunch. That is what you taste from the get go, but as someone else has noticed, each one has a distinct character.

Mid-Bowl: The "honeydew" flavor comes out at this point and the "soap" recedes. The tobacco used is also very tasty and cool for a Va.

Bottom of Bowl: a slight increase in strength. The toppings never get bitter or harsh. Your tongue is not assaulted and you are ready to reload another bowl of this fine blend.

Overall: For those of us that like these "soapy" blends, this is another fine entry to the genre. This one is my personal favorite, with Rum Flake and Bob's CF close behind. There is strength here from the leaf as well so eat well before smoking. the burning characteristics are also amazing in this particular flake. It would burn well and cool in just about any of my dedicated pipes.

Rating: 4.25 out of 5 points.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium Very Mild Pleasant

I am either becoming more tolerant of the soap flavoring, or this blend isn?t as heavily loaded with it. Make no mistake, it is there, but I found that it tended to fade quickly from the initial onslaught.

Once the flavoring receded the underlying leaf began to assert itself a bit more. It never got very strong, and at times the soap flavoring wafted back in to remind you that this is a G&H flake. The honeydew flavoring never showed itself.

The last third of the bowl seems to be trying to gather some strength, it just never quite makes it.

Though the tobacco tried to make a comeback toward the end, I didn?t feel that the effort justified going through the first two thirds of the bowl. It doesn?t readily bite, and smokes dry and clean.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

As with all G&H products that i've encountered the leaf in this blend is of very high quality. Alot has already been said about this blend so I won't elaborate in great detail, there are some interesting things to note about this blend however. An interesting thing i've noticed about this blend as well as with many of the other G&H blends that i've smoked is that the first 1/8th of the bowl smokes harsh and then starts to change rather dramatically for the better. This flake has alot of complexity and flavors change quite frequently through out the bowl ranging from sweet to grassy with floral tones that appear and disappear through out the bowl. This is a must try for flake style tobacco lovers. I would give this the highest rating however I enjoy the floral overtones on occasion and not as a staple of flavors I enjoy in my pipe tobaccos.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

My first sampling of Gawith, Hoggarth and Co. tobacco. I must admit, I was reluctant based upon the amount of "floral" and fruit flavoring described. But I was in the mood for something completely different in my last tobacco order, so I included a sample of Glengarry Flake.

Nice texture and appearance - I enjoyed rubbing out the strips into a bit of "rough" and much finer flakes.

The scent is distinctly like very flowery incense. I began to question whether or not I could stomach it. First light immediately melded and toned down the scent. It became a very pleasant aromatic odor within seconds.

Two relights later and I was on my way. Burning through the bowl I found the predominant flavor to be the sweet virginia, enhanced - not taken over - by the amazingly mild topping.

Even after enjoying the smoke, I found the scent in the container a bit cloying. But after subsequent bowls the attraction to the pleasant, sweet and amazingly subtle smoke remained. The taste is not terribly complex or layered, but remains consistently good with the tang and sweetness of the tobacco and topping playing off through out. Giving some time between relights certainly enhances the flavor and makes the scent more robust.

This probably won't be something I dream about on a daily basis. But it will likely retain a spot in my rotation as "something different" for quite a while.

Burning qualities are exceptional - it stays well lit and is easy to deal with. Glengarry flake burns cleanly to the end with the aroma growing increasingly subtle instead of overwhelmingly sickening.

This is an encouragement to further explore the Gawith tobacco line.

UPDATE After letting it settle and continuing through my sample, I've found I like this leaf even more. The flavor and aroma becomes VERY subtle and is slowly climbing its way up to the top of my favorite VA aromatic. I'm looking forward to more Gawith tobacco.