Our best selling flake by a wide margin. Predominately virginia leaf from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi (86%) but with the addition of sun cured Malawi (10%) to add sweetness, strength and to cool the smoke and Malawi Burley (4%) to "carry the flavour" in addition to its cooling and strength qualities. (Burley is very good at absorbing casings and flavours) A background flavour of Almond is enhanced with the addition of fruit flavours, vanilla, and the special 'English type' flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' Aroma associated with the UK best selling brands such as Condor, St Bruno and mellow virginia.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
FlavoringAlmond, Fruit / Citrus, Other / Misc, Tonquin Bean, Vanilla
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Strong

Enough has been said about this tobacco.

The main thing to remember is that this is MOSTLY Virginia, so it has that sweet characteristic of VA - but it's not a hot blend. Of course, if you don't like Lakeland style flakes (flavoured) then you'll hate this.

To me, this is the Virginia version of Kendal Flake, sans Roses.

Lovely tobacco, a great taste. Yes, you do get the sweet VA flavor through the flavouring. But, it IS highly flavoured.

One of my favorites. I burned two 50g tins and have decided to order in bulk to store in Mason jars. Very nice flake and if you like Lakeland flakes, this is one of the best.

Full, but not strong - I've classified this as a medium. A great flake to enjoy before a pipe full of the "fuller" stuff, like Rum Flake or Kendall.

UPDATE I have been complimented on the aroma of this tobacco several times - once by an old codger who I'd never have thought would make such a comment (Pipestud). So, I amended my room note to "STRONG".. and I still love this blend. It puts the "U" in flavour.

Give it a try IF you don't mind a flavoured flake. Smokes cool and dry if you'll let it dry and rub it out well. Outstanding!

I heartily agree with the majority of the reviewers above that Ennerdale Flake is a unique and delightful palate pleasing blend! I just recently tried a few bowls of this wonderful weed and believe the time and effort to rub out the long strips was worth the effort.

What makes Ennerdale Flake so unique is that the natural taste of the leaf is not interfered with by the topping, which reminded me of a coffee/almond taste. I also happen to like St. Bruno, and this flake was very similar, although not as strong. I suspect the Malawi burley (naturally sweeter than the American variety) also enabled this blend to smoke cool and nutty down to the last strand!

If you enjoy the elegant and unique, grab a tin or two of Ennerdale Flake. The description says it is by far this blender's top selling flake. I can understand why and believe you will enjoy it greatly!

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well I hesitated for the longest time before deciding myself to give Ennerdale a try. But I am glad I did. The tin aroma is not that strong once it has been open for a couple of days. The tobacco is at an ideal humidity level, rubs easily and lights up easily as well. Yes, the taste of almonds and citrus is there. The soapy aroma is more in the background. It packs the right amount of nicotine for me. Smokes dry all the way to the bottom. I love this flake. Seriously. It's like nothing else I have previously tasted and just love it. Not only will I buy some more, but I feel it will become a favorite. Did I say I love it? No? Ok: I love it. ;-)

Pipe Used: Peterson Meerschaum; Peterson Dracula

Age When Smoked: Newly purchased

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Bierstadt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bierstadt (8)
Medium Extra Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is one of the worst tobacco's that I have had the misfortune of having in my pipe. While the quality of the leaf is excellent, I can't say the same for the taste. This flake is pure unadulterated soapy perfume.

The funny thing is that it is not necessarily the soapy perfumed taste and aroma that is so offensive. In fact, I generally have no big problems with a bit of soap. What I do have problems with is a conglomeration of flavorings layered one on top of another to such a degree that as a whole, the blend becomes awash in a sea of classless unidentifiable disgustingness.

I normally can find SOMETHING good to say about most tobaccos. This one is different though. It is one of the very few baccys that I felt compelled to throw away. I know that there are many who enjoy this flake. I don't.......at all.

Tobaccoreviews rating : 1 out of 4 stars

Personal rating : 1 out of 10 stars

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Another love it or hate it blend.

My first experience with Ennerdale Flake was not at all good. I smoked it in a favorite Charatan and found the taste just awful.

After cleaning and reaming a group 4 Ashton, I could hardly believe the difference. Good a first, but as the pipe became seasoned, I was so impressed that I ordered 500 grams on the spot.

For those of you who enjoy a good Scotch, think back to the first time you drank Scotch. You get the idea.

How is it that G&H's best selling flake gets an average of only three stars?

Worth a try!

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (30)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If you expect this tobacco to be the classic English style aromatic (here I have in mind Lakeland), you are right, it is, but then again, it's not exactly like what we're used to imagine when we think of that type of blends. And that's both in a good way, and in a bad way.

It's not that ridiculously perfumed like Condor, ghosts your pipe only a little, and smoking straight unscented virginias after Ennerdale makes them tastier. And that's a good thing. The bad thing is that we all seek in a tobacco what we like in other tobaccos. And that's St. Bruno, Condor or Mellow Virginia, and it's not exactly that. There's some dark note (almond perhaps) that irritates your well accommodated taste. But there's beauty in that too. Another thing that is awesome about this fine flake is the way it burns. Most of above mentioned tobaccos tend to smoke like perfume until certain point, after which it becomes rubbish. Like scented incense, it smells wonderful at the beginning, then in a matter of seconds turns to stink. You smoke condor and it's like you smoke perfume, then suddenly, the perfume taste is gone, all there is left is some unidentified smoke where you hardly taste any tobacco at all. This one isn't like that. The perfumish thing fades away very quickly and in layers, and in it's place comes some good tobacca taste. One gets substituted by the other, smoothly in a symphony. Somewhere at the middle of the bowl you don't get any perfume and all there is is rich VA (maybe also Burley, but I can't taste it) which continues to develop complex and good smoke. And it's good all the way down until you're left with ash and try to relit when you realise it's all gone, nothing more to burn, and you are sorry it's over. That was my experience with this flake. Needs a lot of rubbing, doesn't dry easyly, you can carry it with you without worrying that it'll become stiff or crispy. Doesn't loose it's flavour, it's an awesome tobacca as a summary. I'm glad I ordered 16 oz of it without even having tried it. Didn't disappoint me.

Pipe Used: various

Similar Blends: G&H Grasmere Flake.

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

AGREED: The fragrance/tin aroma is really a bit OTT. I thought that maybe my wife had spilled one of her lavendar or lilac powders! But even then, the tin aroma was not QUITE like anything I've smelled before. If this is "Lakeland Essence' then SO BE IT!! I'm not sure it's useful/meaningful to try and compare it to the aroma of a "toilet cleaner" that >might< have been used to clean the lavatories in public places, as one reviewer asserted!!

What I suggest strongly is that Gawith Hoggarth are not dills when it comes to blending tobacco. I regard them highly for the wisdom and thought they so ably bring to the art!!

BUT - moving on to the actual smoking: The initial lighting phase results in smoke with definite traces of the 'essence' but this seems to taper off quickly. Roughly in inverse ratio is the rise of a somewhat tart, citrus-like "taste" in the nasal passages from retro-halation of the smoke. This is a constant feature for the whole of a bowl - I think this must be the flavouring referred to as "almond" and "fruit flavors" in the description of the blend. It changes to a more "burned" flavour in the last 1/3rd [or - was this caramelised 'vanilla' I was sensing?]. As noted by other reviewers, the virginia component is nicely present. We need no more burley in this one - that would probably 'encourage' a top-heaviness in the casings and further offend the nay-sayers of this blend. There is a subtle hint of Va sweetness detectable for the first 2/3rds of a bowl.

I have no problem with the flavourings or casings - I smoke this blend when I'm in the mood for them. BALANCE is what piping is all about - a good rotation that fits ones temprement and enriches one's being!!

And in wrapping up this review: My own bit of subjectivity to add to the rhetoric over Ennerdale Flake. I feel that EF shows that the wisdom of the "British" tobacco blender lies in his subtlety. The American blender, in a lot of cases, is brash and bold. Just my take as a 'colonial' Aussie from 'down under!'

Pipe Used: Gr3, no bigger than 3/4", deeper bowl is better

Purchased From: Online from SmokingPipes.com

fredkao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fredkao (11)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

Ok, this tobacco is surely not for everyone. I'm new pipe smoker and I'm soap manufacturer.
Many review are good and other are bad regarding Ennerdale. It's a pure Lakeland so, It have a taste and it's a strong taste. I love it or you hate it.
Some people are saying: it's soapy taste but it is not. Soap is really a very different taste.
Ennerdale contain the Lakeland sauce based on Citrus, Vanilla, Almond and other. The Citrus is surely Bergamot and this is the "soap taste". Some people are saying, it's similar to Bergamot tea and sure it is.
I will suggest to try it. Smoke it slowly as much you can and you will enjoy something new, something very different than other tobacco. It don't bite, it's very smooth and medium nicotine hit.
I would like to have this one in stock for 30 years.
I forget: It will ghost your pipe as soon as you smoke it.
ps: I would like to have other GH like this one (the othe Lakeland are not strongest on flavor as this one), so Please, GH, produce a few other Ennerdale brother.
And the taste is similar as natural perfume (essential oils), no chemical at all. The flowery scent is Linalyl Acetate and Linalol 2 molecules of the Citrus family but also found in Lavender, Sage, ...

Pipe Used: Chacom

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I had originally just passed this tobacco up since I'm not fond of vanilla and almond flavorings in tobacco. But, I was in the mood for a Lakeland floral blend and the reviews here persuaded me to try it. I was pleasantly suprised. The tin aroma was wonderful, profoundly floral and perfumed while not unpleasantly soapy. The vanilla and almond are in the back seat, more so rounding out the light sweatness of the blend. A good analogy of this blend is a cross between St. Bruno (or Condor for that matter) and Murray's Erinmore. I suspect that the wonderful perfumed agent is the citrus bergamot that flavors tea for Earl Grey. I was also suprised being a predominately virgina blend that is was cool enough without a sharp bite. I'm going to stock up and cellar this for my smoking rotation. A fantastic tobacco from Gawith & Hoggarth that has one me over.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Mild to Medium Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Hmm. This was my first bite of Lakeland soap, and it was a strong one indeed. The smoke conjures up what I expect I'd get if I packed my pipe with lilac-scented mothballs -- something sharply feminine and octagenarian (yes, as in "old lady") about the bouquet. While the scent is certainly interesting, it doesn't seem like something that should be coming from a pipe. The tobacco also was looking to bite like the dickens and, even with careful puffing, left a bit of sting behind.

So, while this may be an appealing blend for those who have acquired a taste for soapy florals, I am afraid I cannot take a place among their powdered, petticoated company.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This flake is a combination of colors from medium brown to yellow with moisture content conducive to simplifying the rubbing out process which makes filling the pipe very simple and quite convenient. The in bag aroma is of almonds and while present, much less of the typical Lakeland essence than many. It lights easily, burns very cool, even, dry and complete, with no hint of bite. In my humble opinion, this is the light version of Kendal Flake, as its focus is on the Virginia component with much lower nicotine content than the GH&Co offerings that use dark fired leaf.

The almond essence does not interfere with the natural flavor of the leaf, instead it compliments it greatly. The flavor and aroma remain consistent from start to finish, smooth and nutty, rich and sweet. Not truly monochromatic but not complex by any means either. Ennerdale Flake is very well behaved in all aspects, which make it a solid candidate for an all day smoke, indoors or out. This is an excellent choice for those wanting to venture into the Lakeland realm without fear of being overwhelmed or giving up good tobacco flavor.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Mild, this has the famous Lakeland Floral Rose like Flavor, No Bite, Slight After Taste

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A 50grms pouch of bulk Ennerdale came to me through a friend from Kingsize, seems the only specialized pipe tobacconist still in Sheffield (UK). I gave my friend a list of 15 english tobaccos (mostly flakes) to choose, sadly the most part of them were not availabe (and we are talking of Samuel Gawith, Gawith & Hoggart, and the likes... incredible!). He was back to me with: Ennerdale Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, Walnut, Yachtsman Mixture (plug unavailable) and Germain's Brown Flake.

Ennerdale is one of the best-sellers in UK. A fine scented flake in the Lakeland tradition.

At the opening of the non-sealed pouch I was greeted by a strong perfume: certainly almonds, bergamot oil, flowers and who-knows what else. That kind of perfumes of old. The long and partially rubbed flakes have the right humidity for immediate smoking, and something tells me that better they are not dryed further. Smoked in a couple of narrow bowls: a sandblasted Savinelli Punto Oro shape no. 105, and a smooth Parker Dublin shape. The strong pouch smell is only partially imparted to the smoke, and the good quality of the leaf (mostly Virginia) develops in a steadily medium smoke with mainly citrusy notes, and some soap. Yes, I share someone else opinion that Citronella comes to mind.

No way to be bitten, but you must keep slow drawing under control, otherwise you will hardly be able to keep your small pipe in your hands...

Ennerdale has delivered me long, cool and satisfatory pipe experiences.

Cyclebum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cyclebum (6)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

I've smoked many dozens of all kind of tobaccos and this is definitely the worst by a long shot. I never had to throw away any tobacco but this one is going straight to the chemical waste bin. This stuff is so incredibly disgusting ... I just smoked about a fifth of a not too large bowl and the taste keeps haunting my tastebuds. I can only compare the taste to having your mouth washed with soap. Brrrr!

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

G&H's best selling flake by a wide margin?

Well, they won't be selling any more to me.

EF is a uniquely flavored virginia flake with a goodly amount of perfume.

Like most G&H flakes, tobacco quality is never an issue, and how much you enjoy this blend will depend upon how much you like the flavorings and how well you enjoy/tolerate the perfume. I don't particularly like the flavorings used in EF. Your mileage may vary.

What is it with this perfume thing? Either the Brits have been blessed with a different set of tastebuds than their cousins across the pond, or there must be a large population of Nancy Boys smoking pipes in the merry old U.K.

It's a shame. Save for the perfume, I really like G&H products.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first true Lakeland tobacco. The pouch aroma led me to believe that this would be more heavily flavored. However, upon lighting this tobacco, I found it tasted of very nice mid-range virginias enhanced mildly by the floral casing present. In other words, I really like the flavor. The casing seemed to be far more present in the aroma than the flavor, and I found myself thoroughly enjoying this tabac. This is a nice entrance into the G&H tobaccos as it isn't strong at all and quite enjoyable. I am giving it three stars from now, but it may become more as I sample more of these tobaccos.

Update: This tobacco is quite bitey and I find that it is light on flavor. I don't really care for it anymore, but I'm sure that it fits the bill for some smokers so I am downgrading it to two stars.

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

Having enjoyed some of the other scented flakes, and reading that this was among the most richly flavoured, I decided to try it. I was expecting to enjoy it (I rather like the perfumed, slightly soapy edge to some of these tobaccos, it's very distinctive). However, on opening the pouch and smelling it, I was struck by an uncomfortable feeling of dread... It smelled like cheap perfume, fairy liquid and toilet cleaner all rolled into one! There was little aroma of tobacco detectable, nor could I smell any almond or vanilla. It just smelled like artlessy mixed essential oils, mostly lavender.

I decided to smoke it anyway (I had to try it), and on lighting it, the main taste was of lavender, with a hint of incense. I hoped this would fade into the background, as with other scented flakes like Erinmore. But no, it just got stronger, and otherwise remained unchanged throughout a 2 hour smoke. My mouth felt like it was coated in lavender oil and soap, which I didn't much enjoy. There was no flavour of tobacco, or of almonds or vanilla, just soap. Worse still, after smoking it, the flavour hung around in my mouth for hours. I couldn't even taste pure hot pepper sauce!

In fairness, it must be good quality tobacco, for it lit with ease, burned cool, slow and without a hint of bite, and required few relights. It must appeal to those who like heavily perfumed tobaccos, to such an extent that they no longer care much for the tobacco. Personally, I enjoy Erinmore flake (Piquantly fruity), St Bruno (rich and full, the sweetness is complemented by the hint of bergamot oil) and Conniston Cut Plug (rich and deep, with just a hint of perfume) but to me, the flavouring in this is wildly excessive. Did their hands slip at the blenders? Is this a bad batch? I don't think I will risk my palate finding out. As for the wife rating:

'Often my husband asks me to take a sniff of his tobacco in the pouch/tin and tell him what I think it smells like. After a few long draws of this tobacco, I can confirm that it smells exactly like the cleaning fluids used to clean the public toilets in Addenbrokes' Hospital, Cambridge (I used to work there). I consider myself quite a laid-back non-smoking partner, and I usually enjoy the smell of pipe tobacco. But this stuff was FOUL! Wifes of all unsuspecting pipe smokers - beware!'

And she really likes the smell of Latakia!

-------------------------------UPDATE----------------------------- I've actually started to love this tobacco. I smoke it quite regularly. I think the scent takes a little getting used to, is all, then you're hooked. It smokes so well!

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Appearance and Aroma: Looks like most of the other bulk flakes frome Gawith and Co. Lots of sugar crystals evident on the 1-1/2" by 8" flakes. Smells like a typical scented flake would.

Packing and Lighting: I prefer to rub out and let about 10-15 mins. pass before lighting. In this way, lighting is 2-3 lights max.

Initial Flavor: Intense! I love the lakeland scent, but this is a little oo intense for me.

Mid-Bowl: The tobacco can be tasted despite the scent, but it is way in the back. This flake does get in the zone where the flavor and the temperature are easily in balance (i.e. no tongue-bite problems)

Bottom of Bowl: If smoked slowly, it builds to a nice strength and leaves the bowl with a fine dusting of grey ash. It does leave quite a bit of moisture in the shank though.

Overall: This is truly a high quality blend, but the scenting was too intense for this piper. I prefer Glengarry, BCF, or Rum Flake over this one. It does burn cooly and has plenty of flavor as well as nicotine for those who like to get blasted. I suppose it doesn't help that the scent kept reminding me of those old ladies who pour tons of cheap perfume on themselves, LOL! Well, I don't think I'll be purchasing anymore of this fine blend, but you ought to try it. Definitely a classic...

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I've tried several GH flakes, and picked this one up out of sheer curiosity, somewhat because of the name that reminded me of the laughably horrible British TV program "Emmerdale Farm" and because of the favorable reviews here. This should be a decent flake, and you may like it.

But for me, this was the first flake made by any lake district blender in which I just couldn't find something to love, or even like---and in fact, I intensely _dislike_ this blend.

Is this made by a reputable blender? Absolutely.

Is it made from quality tobacco? Um, I'm pretty sure.

Does it taste like regurgitated cheap rum punch? Well, unfortunately, to me, yes.

Despite what must be decent leaf here, the topping is so fruity and almost poisonous to the taste that it is overwhelming and noxious. I think everybody must have had this experience once or twice with some topped flake blend, and ennerdale must just be my personal kryptonite.

I would still encourage any brave lakeflake smoker to give the stuff a try---it may be just what you were looking for. As for me, I'll stick to the BCF and SG's Kendal Cream and never touch another bottle of Malibu ever again, no matter what.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

I always scratch my head when I read GH's statement that this is their best-selling blend by a wide margin, but then again Condor sells well in Europe. My biggest problem with Ennerdale Flake is that it is just loaded with Traditional English Flavors (TEFs). "Soapy" isn't really the description; "Floral" comes closer. I detect a strong Rose scent, among others, & I can't stand Rose. As with MacBaren Virginia #1, I lament that GH chose to flavor this, because the underlying tobacco, when you can taste it, is of high quality and quite delicious.

I happily traded this away. With GH Brown Flake, Glengarry, Scottish Flake, CR Flake and others, there is just no reason to smoke Ennerdale. If you choose to do so, try it in a cob, 'cause it will cling to your briar or meerschaum for a long time.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (29)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Good afternoon gentlemen im here with my review of ennerdale flake. When i visited aireys of kendal thry had none of my beloved louisiana flake in stock and the lady behind the counter,being very kind, let me have a sniff of the other flakes that were instock. Ennerdale was by far the winner it has a strong fruity essence with a topping of marzipan the two flavours work perfectly together underlying sweetness from the virginia wafts through from time to time. It is a huge flake as well, az i always do i rubbed the full lot out. Trying it for the first time it was ok but needed a good amount of relights as it is a very moist flake. But leaving it jarred for a few months it takes a rather different turn, the marzipan flavours are slightly more pronounced but still fruity. I gave what was going to load up my alco bowl i further rubbing out so it was almost a ribbon and packed a touch loser. It did take three lights at the start but once lit propperly it burned away very nicely it os a tobacco which is perfect for sitting back and enjoying a good smoke. It is a rather complex smoke with the marzipan and almond flavours coming through along with a touch of fruityness andthe underlying tobacco flavours wafting in and out from time to time. Ennerdale keeps its flavour throughout the smoke but i feel it goes best in smaller bowled pipe, it is deffinitely a slow smoker its delicious taste makes you want to take your time and savour it. Now onto a little something that makes me raise an eyebrow. I have heard a lot of ennerdale being compared with condor st bruno etc. In my oppinion i can see how the three can be grouped together but in regards to flavour all three are completely different. Condor and st bruno to me have an alcoholic flavour to it and a generous amount at that. The ennerdale is a fruity flavour and not as stout as condor or st bruno. But beware because although not as stout as condor or st bruno ennerdale still packs enough strength to keep the flake smoking enthusiast happy. All in all a brilliant offering from gawith and hoggarth and fans of their tobacco will be kept more than happy with this offeri

Pipe Used: alco with bulldog bowl

Age When Smoked: few months

Purchased From: Aireys of kendal

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Once lit (it needs a bit of drying), Ennerdale initially delivers a rich "hit"of limonene and other (contributing to "soapiness") citrus-related flavor compounds (could well be due to Bergamot), with the base tobaccos in the background. Working through the bowl, the burley and VAs come out, as well as a nutty and creamy vanilla flavor. An extremely unique flavor experience, best sipped to get full flavor. A nice pepperiness on the retrohale. Burns clean through the bowl. 4 stars.

Pipe Used: MM

Age When Smoked: Undated tin; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: P&C

Susanna Hoffs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Susanna Hoffs (74)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Ahhhh!.... This reminds me of the first whiffs I caught as a youngster as the old boys would walk by, and I was caught in their slipstreams of swirling blue smoke!!

I'm no tobacco snob nor to that matter do I feel the need to spend more than £50 on a pipe. This stuff, whilst admittedly having a soapy nature to it, the almondy, rummy, vanilla, and liquorice aromas produced by this billowing blend are captivating..

It's a nice run of the mill, 'what you smell is what you get blend'. If you're a tobacco snob, and are looking to inanely dissect every atom of the smoke, the flavour and the nuances of this blend, until the very laws of oral-factory physics have been re-defined........In your own head. Then you'll probably call this a boring plain smoke, with an overpowering aroma...

Just as well that I'm smoking it and enjoying it soley for myself and not you then isn't it!!

Huzza!

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth Ennerdale Flake . Unlit the appearance is somewhat a "stereotypical" flake look , it's moderately medium brown in colour , with a scarce amount of lighter flecks . The thickness is perfect , as is its moisture amount . The smell being given off is a touch floral and reminds me of S.t Bruno , which I find irrefutable as that is possibly my favorite over the counter blend . Once my pipe is filled I find it is superbly simple to ignite and the burn is implausible in its consistency . Now the actual smoke , even after much deliberation I can still only come up with the answer "ultimately brilliant" ! The viscosity is unfathomable , neither too much nor too little . Flavour , again a little like S.t Bruno only with a touch more complexity , you get a slight floral note but also a detection of Vanilla and a Citrus hint with a beautiful Virginia/Burley taste . Tongue Bite ? ... even if I suck like a voracious pig it still does not occur ! The room note is again like S.t Bruno (as it states) , which for me is a pleasure as it is not an overly dense one . Even though there is some added flavour in there it does not leave much ghost , unless regularly smoked and not regularly cleaned ! I think this would make an emphatically great addition to most peoples selection !

Pipe Used: Rattrays

Purchased From: Smoke King

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (50)
Mild Extra Strong Mild to Medium Extra Strong

I'm not even going to attempt to deconstruct the aroma additives to Ennerdale Flake. Suffice to say it is a very heady bouquet that will be familiar to regular snuff users. I didn't get the almond in the description at all however. Whether that's just me or almond aromas are significantly transformed by burning, I cannot say.

This tobacco takes a light beautifully and burns well.

I had a particularly enjoyable experience smoking this in the garden in the evening, where its heady character seemed to make sense. Otherwise I would struggle to think where and when to smoke this. It's pleasant enough, but is just so intrusive. It might be of use to someone trying to hide their tobacco habit, since it isn't what people are going to expect from tobacco smells.

Reggietom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reggietom (7)

Another great tobacco, it's flowery notes are very pleasant, I love it. I would recommend it to smokers old and new, even my non-smoking wife likes the smell of this but I'm still not allowed to smoke indoors.

Pipe Used: Peterson system317

Purchased From: McGahey Exeter

Similar Blends: Bosun cut plug.

Lukasaurus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lukasaurus (9)
Medium Extra Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Whilst I have a great deal of respect for Gawith & Hoggarth, I cant deny that this is probably my least favourite offering from them. I wanted to like the blend, and was really taken by the initial note the flake gave off in the tobacconists, but this stuff gets overwhelming and sickening very quickly.

The tobacco itself, as with all G&W blends, is second to none. Excellent quality flake which is pleasing to the eye. Its the flavouring of the blend which lets it down. In my opinion, the soapy floral overtones are downright overpowering and sickly sweet. Not only that, but it will ghost any pipe you put it in. As well as this, you'll be tasting it on your tongue for anything upto 4 hours after.

Admittedly, floral lakeland blends have never sat well with me, so I'm perhaps the wrong person to be reviewing this, but to me its like smoking pot pouri and fairy liquid. I'm usually a fairly forgiving reviewer, but this didnt sit well with me at all, for all i tried to like it.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This stuff is a revelation!

Easily one of the best tasting aromatics I've ever tried, even if the flavor/aroma is a completely foreign experience to we Americans who normally associate aromatics with food-flavored tobaccos (vanilla, peach, chocolate, whatever). The term "floral" is definitely appropriate here, as is "soapy." There is also some citrus in the background (grapefruit, mango) as well as almond .... The strength of the flavoring agents is intense, but as the bowl progresses I can definitely detect the top-notch VAs that form this flake's spine. I am in love with both the flavor and aroma, but I can definitely see how many smokers would despise it.

This stuff requires a little drying time, but once the moisture has been reduced to an optimal level (a little crunchy) it burns like a dream with few relights. It also has little capacity for tongue bite, which is a trait I can't praise enough. On the other hand, it will ghost a pipe like nobody's business ... either use a cob or dedicate a briar, as even one or two bowls might forever taint your pipe.

I normally prefer more "natural" tobaccos but can also appreciate a good aromatic every now and then. Even so, I am surprised by how much I'm loving these "Lakeland" blends. It just goes to show that "aromatic" or "scented" doesn't necessarily mean "low quality" .... I wish more American blenders would learn a thing or two from the Brits.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I'll give it four stars, though these flavorings might not be for everyone. I was struck smoking this bowl while enjoying a glass of cold Twinings Earl Grey tea on the side, how much the flavorings are similar. They are even more similar when the tobacco is unlit. Earl Grey has Bergamot, and I really don't know if Ennerdale has Bergamot or only gives me this impression due to its own particular array of Lakeland scents. Scents or flavorings? This is a scented flake, but the scents are strong enough here to almost make this an aromatic, though there is not the sticky goopiness of an American aromatic here. I can still taste the quality African and South American Virginias under those flowery aromas, and am thankful for that. I really like puffing on this stuff, but then again, I like Lakelands. This flake is even more heavily scented than most Lakelands, but if you like that style, give it a try!

Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I agree with the previous reviewers caution regarding flavored tobaccos and new smokers. This is not your standard tobacco shop aromatic. This is...er... different!

The bag aroma of this one is over the top in its sweetness and "floral-ness". I immediately thought of strong licorice which immediately made me think of Mixture #79. I had a strong bias against this one. However, it surprised me. The flavoring is fairly strong but interesting. It doesn't cover up the tobacco underneath but offers an enhancement to it. It's a little stronger than I usually like and that makes this a wonderful "sometime" tobacco for me... a dessert blend, if you will. Yes, it's soapy, floral, Lakeland - whatever adjective you prefer. Yes, it's heavy in that regard. But don't let that scare you. Try a couple of bowls before you decide, as it really lifted some of my personal biases, which surprised me. Do dedicate a pipe to this if you find it's something you enjoy. This leaves THE most persistent ghost I've ever encountered that two bowls of C&D's Kelly's Coin could not exorcise. And this was a meerschaum pipe! The taste remained on the stem and on my teeth, gums and tongue for a long time. Yet, I found it pleasant.

Highly recommended for the adventurous. Certainly not for everyone but if I am any indication, it's for more people than they believe! This is a great blend - not as much to my taste as other G&H blends, but worthy of an occasional bowl.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

A full on lakelands, but very sweet and not overly strong, just wonderful.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Well, it's slightly unusual and I can see why some don't like it but I can't help but enjoy the flavouring added to this tobacco. It's thick and heavy yet sweet and cool with floral notes, vanilla, a bit of fruit, nuts, some coconut and a licorace edge.

In terms of flavour and strength you could think of it as a cross between St. Bruno's and Erinmore Flakes but sweeter...and not like either of them...except it is.

I couldn't smoke this everyday but when you want a good dose of (a slightly bizarre) flavour and a decent amount of nicotine you could do alot worse than Ennerdale Flake.

It is inexpensive and readily available, weighed out loose, from many tobacconists in the UK, although I have never seen it sold in a tin. I bought my pouch from an unassuming little newsagents in Kendal. Where the lady behind the counter gave me the opportunity to smell each of the tobaccos they sell along with a precis of thier relative qualities and popularity. Altogether excellent service. I think the shop was called Robinsons or Roberts.

UPDATE...

having recently given up smoking for lent I was taken by suprise by how much I craved this tobacco. It was the only one that really tempted me and my subsequent bowls of it are forcing me to up the rating to four stars.

...(another) UPDATE...

Ok, so my craving has been sated and I can taste this tobacco objectively again. I like the flavour but, to be fair, it's not for everyone. Still, three solid stars for my money.

...(another) UPDATE (again)...

I've been smoking it alot again recently and I love it. Good leaf, good cut, great price and the added flavour gets more and more appealing the more I taste it. This stuff really does it for me. Back up to four stars then.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

In the tin, Ennerdale is a soft flake, easy to wad or rub out. It is dark but mottled, and it has a sweet Virginia aroma plus the Lakeland District peculiar trait. Just the right amount of moisture for me. This stuff remains cool and dry requiring little attention. The Ennerdale Virginia is gentle on my throat. It has a medium body with adequate nicotine. It cannot bite. I prefer to go right from the tin to the pipe. Rubbing and drying seem to remove the highlights.

Initially, the "soap" is undeniable (not offensive to me), neither is a peppery spice and sweet Virginia. Alternately creeping up the stem: a musty-leathery-woodsy note, a fruity sweetness, a bitter-sweet nuttiness, a tangy citrus, and peat. The "soap" dissipates. To me the remarkable characteristic is the sweet Virginia with fruit, nuts, and vanilla. As advertised.

I have not encountered a more pleasant tasting and soothing Lakeland. I would not smoke it all day, but I have not found a tobacco I would want to smoke all day. Highly recommended for the Lakeland-tolerant Virginia lover.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong Extra Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is tobacco? Pretty to look at, and looks like quality leaf. Durn shame they treated it like a rented mule. The mule smells better, IMHO.

Strength: I'm no nico-weanie. I was weaned on a Tabasco bottle and Picayune cigarettes. Strong, spicy flavors and a good nicotine hit don't phase me. This stuff was so over powered with scents, I couldn't tell if there was any nicotine in it.

Flavoring: No Kidding!

Taste: I let the cat take a few puffs on the pipe and he started licking his butt. Probably to get the taste out of his mouth.

Room Note: Janitorial and mausoleum like. I see dead people.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have tried several of the offerings from Gawith, Hogarth & Co., and have enjoyed them all for the most part. Even the super strong, nicotine rich Bosun Cut Plug and Dark Flake. Ennerdale Flake, however, has somehow escaped my notice. How does a fruity topped, almond-vanilla scented tobacco escape one's notice, you may wonder. Just the description of it turned me off, and putting my face to a full cannister of the stuff kind of turned my stomach. The smell of the tobacco can be a bit overpowering in large quantities.

A short while back, I had tried McClelland's 5115, which I had heard was similar to Ennerdale in some of its flavors. I wasn't overly impressed with the 5115, finding it rather harsh and cigarettish in taste. However, those flavors that did escape past the harsh va. quality of the tobacco were very good. So I decided to try the Ennerdale flake. And, boy am I glad for it.

Surprising, almost disappointing actually, the Lakeland floral quality of the smoke disappated very quickly after lighting. What came forth through my pipe was a very pleasant, slightly tangy sweet tobacco taste, with notes of citrus and honey drifting around the outer edges of the natural va. sweetness. I didn't really detect an obtrusive almond scent or taste, but once in awhile an almond-like aroma would tickle my palate. After finishing a bowl of this tobacco, though, I did have a slight taste of almond in my mouth.

This flake, unlike the vast majority of G&H tobaccos, can be coaxed to bite just a little during the first half of the bowl. After settling in for the second half of the bowl, there isn't even a hint of tongue bite. Overall, I would have to say that this is one of the most pleasant tasting of G&H's offerings. I like it a little more than Glengarry Flake, as it has more nuances to the flavor, and isn't quite as sweet. Very good flake for a cool, rainy afternoon.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I love reading reviews from people who so dislike a product they need to insult other pipe smokers just to feel better. Some go so far as to continue buying blends from the companies that make the offending smoke in hopes, I suppose, that they might once again be so relieved in public. Reminds me of the guy who kept hitting himself in the head with a hammer because it felt so good when he stopped.

But, once again, I must digress. Ennerdale is great! I can see the comparison to Kendal Flake but Ennerdale has the almond note and Kendal doesn't seem to. There's also to me a distinct toffeeosity to the smoke as soon as the flowers burn off. That's usually about a third into the bowl. From there on out, I don't get much of the, um, 'TEF's' (I'm glad to admit, that's not my term). It is Flavored, but not nearly as much as say, 1792, Cannon plug or even Erinmore. Lights and smokes well even when a little too wet for my liking. Plus, more comments than I can remember on the great room note (I couldn't care less) and Nicotine! Highly Recommended!

P.s. I enjoy this most while ironing my bloomers in a freshly starched camiknicker, extra powder. Anyone got a problem with that? Go find yourself some crumpet! (Bridge for sale)

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium Very Strong Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Ooooooh! What a tobacco dad!!! This happens to me for the very first times: I opened the box and simply smelled the tobacco without smoking it. After an hour in my wife?s shop, I started looking what it that smells so nice and discreet is. I couldn?t find it. When I went home, I realized that it was ENNERDALE. A beautiful, sweet, creamy mix of almonds, fruits, vanilla and little coffee, which do not cover tobacco?s taste. Heavy, pleasant, dry till the end, cool, tasteful ? I don?t know what else to say. It keeps the flavor and its perfume, till the last ash of bowl. It is a tobacco for all day which will make me to smoke it during my sleep. I?m very excited. I give to it the FIRST PLACE in my preferences

SApipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SApipe (31)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

This is a light brown flake tobacco with proper moisture content, requiring minimal drying after rubbing out. My bulk sample had very mild tin aroma, barely detectable. Upon lighting, you get a blast of floral aroma from the smoke! I've smoked GH Rum Flake and SG Kendal Cream flake, both lakeland style tobaccos, but they pale in comparison to this aroma!

This is a tobacco that you'll either like it or hate it...no in-between. The powerful floral aroma/taste, makes it difficult to taste the tobacco; I can barely discern the virginia trying to present itself. However, you can taste the burley about halfway thru the bowl. I also notice a strong spiciness to this tobacco, akin to perique (although the monograph does not list it has containing perique)

I happen to like the floral taste/aroma, so for me, this is good stuff! Tastes of roses, burley, and black pepper.

3 out of 4 stars.

Update: 8/27/2007 I smoked this as folded flake and it really cuts back on the floral taste/aroma; enhances the true tobacco flavor. So, depending on your mood, you can smoke it either way, adding another dimension to this tobacco.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Want a milder verson of Kendal Flake? Well, here it is!

A very enjoyable floral tobacco, which is allows the natural tobacco flavour come to the fore much than other GHC flakes. Soapy? Of course it is! But note is much milder and complemented by the witch haze and elderflower notes in the aftertaste.

A fine second tier flake - enough said.

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a thoroughly decent, honest and gentlemanly Virginia flake. It is cool, slow-burning, possesses no bite and the moisture content whenever I have bought it, seems perfect. The nicotine content also seems appropriate and it burns sweetly and evenly to the bottom of the bowl. I live in northern England, where this tobacco is available reasonably easily, which is an added bonus. The only thing I dislike about it, is its almondy casing, which seems to me to be pointless, but you cannot taste almonds whilst you are smoking it. I like buying my tobaccos in a proper flake tin, but over here, it only seems to be available in loose form.

I have recently discovered that a shop in Durham sells this tobacco without the casing, under the name of Coronation Flake. I am smoking this at the moment, but it is not significantly different to warrant the inconvenience of having to acquire it by mail order.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant

After trying a few of the more prominent lakeland blends, the fitting end of the road (for me) is Ennerdale.

It seems to be what the other tobaccos in the category are striving for. Variations on the theme of Ennerdale Flake. It is certainly the best of the lot if you prefer lakeland style blends. I do not and think about smoking this style of weed except perhaps twice per year. Therefore I probably won't keep any of this on hand with the numerous other tobaccos I look forward to smoking. Vanilla, fruits, liquor, tobacco - it is all there and all obviously high quality. But you are smoking perfume - there are very few other ways to say it. Unlike some of the other flakes, the additive intensifies - instead of melding in with the tobacco - as the smoke continues - becoming a bit murky rich. The burley adds a zesty undertone, which is pleasant - but does not quite bring the tobacco in line with my tastes.

When I reach for a lakeland blend, it is almost always the dark and rosey Kendal Flake. If you like heavily flavored tobacco - try this. If not, avoid putting it in your Balkan dedicated briar at all costs!

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

The first time smoking this in the house I was pleasantly surprised by members of my family telling me how much they liked the scent. My youngst son said it reminded him of "Grandpas" pipe tobacco.

Considering I lost my "Pipe Smoking Buddy" a few years ago, this comment instantly ensured it's addition into my regular rotation.

Like all blends by this Great English Tobacco House, the flavorings, (or if your prefer, flavOURings), enhance the high quality tobacco that they use in their mixtures.

Easy to light and keep lit, the flavor ran consistent the length of the bowl. The taste is a complex mix of rich, sweet, floralry, fruity. Just a really pleasant experience.

It burns to a grey/white dry dottle.

A Nice Smoke.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ennerdale Flake,with its "English type' flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' Aroma "is yet another in a series of "soap" flakes from G&H. These are not really soap flavored, or no one would smoke them! The flakes are typical 6" and thinly cut. Upon arrival, I cut them into 1.5" flakes with a straight razor as I find them easier to store and load in this configuration.

I was a bit put off by EF upon first sampling same, though I am a fan of thses floral flakes from the Gawith boys. This one just seems to me "more so" than many of the others (Glengarry and Conniston cut plug) among others. It has grown on me with continued use however, and has become one of my favs. EF is not as strong as many H&G flakes, nicotine wise and therefore lends itself to repeated (small) bowls in one sitting. In the second half of the bowl the floral notes are still there, but the rich virginias come to the fore.

Due to its heavy floral nature, I would not suggest this as an intro to scented Lakeland Flakes, but it is a good one once the taste is acquired.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)

Ennerdale Flake combines the talents of two of its kinsmen, Scotch and Kendal Flake (imho). It has the all the floral qualities of Kendal and the wonderful sweetness of Scotch Flake, and as such, is a bit much for my regular consumption. It is truly an elegant smoke, however, and as noted by the pipestud, the flavouring of this tobacco is not at all like a cased aromatic--which is to say that it smokes like a premium Virginia flake should, with the added bonus of an unusual share of natural sweetness and an unforgettable bouquet that goes along with it. Nonetheless, I don't see myself smoking this blend other than as an occasional treat.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Another great G&H flake. Not quite as rich or as full as Brown Flake but much sweeter. I've read and been told by some British tobacconists that this is a flake preferred in England over all other flakes. I can see (and taste) why, but you need a sweet tooth here. Unlike many aromatics, this does taste like tobacco and is reasonably dry smoking thoughout.

If you like sweet, fruity flakes like St. Bruno (which has a thicker flavor but smokes more wet) or Condor long leaf (which has a similar flavor but is a lighter leaf), you should try this.

This is a rich tasting, scented flake. It's not hot, but I would recommend not breaking the flake much here, as that can give it an edge. It has a nice full, zesty (not like the sometimes hot golden virginia variety) almost spicy, fruit taste. It is a desert blend (but not exclusively), yet satisfying enought to smoke again during the day. The touch of burley keeps it cool and that matured virgina sweetness keeps it tasty.

No words can describe how good this tastes all the way to the bottom of the bowl. (The only thing this flavor vaguely reminds me of, is in the old days I smoked Edward's Rum Toddy -- a burley based blend with virginia added and essence blended with a fragrance call "Bowl of Fruit" (BFL). The European formula for the original BFL was lost to cost in the late 70's, and Edwards substituted it with "English Aroma", "Cherry-A", and something else ("Vanilla-B"?). Still good if special blended but not the original same.) The essence here in this flake is like the original I recall from BFL. Mouth watering!

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

I have only had a few bowls of this marvelous blend. It is a viginia blend with some flavoring and is one of the few flavored type English style blends that I think will be in my regular rotation. This tobacco is wonderful, creamy and flavorful. It definitely has a soapy floral effect to the flavor and nose and is nothing short of spectacular. I had a short smoke of this this AM and was disappointed I had to put it down to start work. With a Java blend of your choice in the morning, it is a great way to start ones day. It comes in flake form of long strips and complements my other tobaccos that are in my regular rotation as it is very different and has a sweet creamy side to it. I tend to have a preference for latakia blends but I am slowly gaining appreciation for virginia/perique. I had a bowl of Escudo prior to Ennerdale Flake this morning and wish I could take the day off and continue creating a cloud of sweet smoke around me.If you want to try something different and wish to be elevated to new vistas in pipe smoking give this one a try. I am coming to this review after a few months. I now order this tobacco by 1/2 pounds. It has become my everday tobacco. I still enjoy other blends but this one I look forward to on a daily basis. 4 1/2 to 5 stars.

Mild to Medium Strong Medium Pleasant

High quality, medium brown tobaccos in a perfectly prepared flake result in one of the easier smoking and more forgiving blends. Lights easily and burns slowly, evenly and without any bite. A floral pouch aroma is heavenly but the taste of the flavoring is rather strong and although creamy and smooth, initally reminded me of soap. Perhaps it's psychological, but I associate that taste in my mouth with punishment. Even though I only had purchased a 2oz. portion, towards the end, I was starting to tolerate the "English" taste. I'll try it again, but if not for the taste, this would be one of my regular smokes.

PuffNStuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PuffNStuff (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

This is my first review on tobacco reviews and my first experience with flake. Since re-kindling my interest in pipe smoking (my cigar habit had gotten too expensive), I have been experimenting with several different brands and blends, looking for that ever-elusive "Holy Grail of Pipe Tobacco". GH & Co.'s Ennerdale Flake may not be the Holy Grail, but it darned close. As previous reviewers noted, the flakes are a light to medium brown with quite a bit of gold flecks present. As I opened the bag, I'm stuck with a wonderful "floral" aroma, somewhat like roses mixed in with almonds. The scent is quite stiking and not at all what I expected when I first opened the pouch. I pull out some of the flakes and rub them out rather coarsely (again, my first flake experience) and pack them into a brand new Jensen freehand Dublin I just purchased at the same tobacco shop. Lighting was easy and the tobacco burned like a dream. Being fairly new to pipe smoking, I have a tendency to smoke a little hot, but both the pipe and ambrosia inside stayed cool and burned evenly. I did have to relight a couple of times (because of my newness to flake?), but the tobacco burned clean to the bottom of the bowl with the first puff being as heavenly as the last without the slightest hint of bite. The rose and almond taste are very apparent in this blend. I also detect a slight hint of vanilla flavor. It is mildly sweet (and pleasanty so and the room aroma is heavenly. I have read that this is GH & Co's best-selling flake, and the reason is very apparent to me after sampling this tobacco. If you're an English blend fan who wants to try something with an aromatic quality to it, then I highly recommned picking some of this stuff up!

flakeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flakeman (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a great flavoured English Va flake, made with Virginias of the highest quality The tobacco is a good mix of colours from mid-brown to pale yellow and it came not too moist so rubbing up and packing was easy. The pouch aroma is quite complex - almonds, a fruity edge and also the typical English floral/soapy notes that characterise the best English Va flakes, and I also detect a slight nutty note distinct from the almond. It lights easily and burns slowly and evenly. The initial taste is sweet and rich and this is consistent throughtout the bowl. At times there is a slight and quite pleasant sour edge. The ash is pale grey and there is little moisture and no bite whatsoever. This is a rel winner that I would reccomend to all lovers of English flakes and also to anyone wishing to become aquainted withthis type of blend. Quite simply - excellent!

pop pops pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pop pops pipe (12)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I understand the comparison to St. Bruno, take away the almond/vanilla flavor and add a prune/raisin one and you got St. Bruno! Now for the kicker, I do like this, like it a lot, would like to love it but can't. Why, one word, Tonqin! Why do they have to poison this beautiful tobacco with that God awful stuff? It adds a flavor of Pinaud Classic Vanilla, ick! If I were using it as an aftershave rub fine, but I would like to smoke it? ? Its not as heavy as 1792 but there's enough Tonquin to know it's there. If the Tonquin were absent I'd be in love with this tobacco! It's a shame because I like ever other aspect of it, cool, sweet, nice aroma, nice kick of vitamin N. Tonquin is a love it or hate it kind of flavor. It's not even an acquired taste, you either like it or you don't! As for being compared to Condor, never happen. Condor is a Honeydew flavor and is the light version of Rich Dark Honeydew by Gallaher. A tobacco I miss here in the states! (This Damn greedy country and their tariffs! ) Honeydew tastes like.....we'll honeydew! Tonquin is no honeydew my friends! Hey if you like Tonquin more power to you and I envy you. If you don't stay away!

Pipe Used: Boswell 96 bent billiard.

Purchased From: Gifted

Similar Blends: One of a kind really..

Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

From the description, this tobacco does not sound like my thing. I have to say I enjoyed it, and I would smoke it again. I am almost done with a 25 g sample. I rub it out as a ball between my palms and let it dry a little before smoking it.

This presents as a high quality Virginia with a little burley for body. There are citrus, vanilla and almond notes the description predicted. I did not get any of the floral others mention, but there is a quality to it and the combination of flavors that is hard to describe.

It is a medium/full flavor, and the toppings work quite well. They are tasty and well balanced and don't overpower the tobacco experience. This is a high quality aromatic that delivers. I recommend it.

Coltrain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrain (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I am apprehensive about writing this review because this is a love/hate tobacco. And unfortunately, I hated it.

That said I still accept this as a good tobacco and reward it some praise on merit. It's got a strong virginia base that is actually quite nice and would be lovely if it weren't for the god damn casing that's on this tobacco. I don't get a soapy taste as many have said they get but I do get a strange flavor that I don't agree with, so much so that I can't finish a bowl of this stuff. The room note wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. I wouldn't brag about it but no one will call you out on it's odor.

Anyways, it's a tobacco I think you should definitely try at some point because you never know, it might be just what you're looking for. It's just not my style I'm afraid.

Pipe Used: Falcon

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

This is a medium-brown flake that displays some lighter streaks and a bit of Birdseye speckling. The tobacco flavor intensity is less than medium, occasionally approaching medium, but never quite arriving. I find this flake to be relatively soft and subdued--almost understated. The combination of essences do provide a little added sweetness and an expanded dimension to both the flavor and aroma, but they do not in any way override the natural tobacco flavor--the essences act merely as a garnish. (I can taste orange peel, but it's subtle.) This is an undoubtedly well-executed tobacco, but it simply doesn't quite suit my tastes--I am not overly fond of the fruit overtones and it lacks some of the body and strength that I like. However, I am certain that many will find it to be quite appealing.

thehaggis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thehaggis (18)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Tolerable

Ok, either you like the tonquin/rose/floral topping or you don't ....there doesn't seem to be a middle ground. I love this stuff. It is a strong Lakeland flake, but it rubs out well and smokes beautifully....if you rub it out and let it air for 15 minutes or so. Also, like another reviewer said.....this will ghost the hell out of a pipe, so if you are trying it, buy a cheap cob before using one of your briars on this.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

Quality flake alright.Bought loose 25 grams as a sample,recommended to me in the shop.I really wanted Irish Flake by Peterson but they didn't have any..Basically this is a scented Virginia and base tobacco wise its kind of like a cross between best brown flake and players navy flake.I thought it was a bit mild for me really,i prefer their stronger meatier offerings like bobs chocolate,dark xx and 1792 flake(which I forgot to ask for but didn't see on the shelf to remind me..This is touted as being close to condor and aromatically I can see that point but;it is not condor,condor is a Kentucky and more robust and has higher nic and is the king of soapy weird..I am not sure I will buy again because basically for me condor wins.Have also just tried Grasmere flake which I consider the stronger nic wise of these two and that stands a better chance of repurchase.Maybe some drying time will add some points.The taste is fine and earthy in a real british flake way but lacks nic power..If anybody likes condor but finds it too strong this is a good milder alternative.Possibly closer to peterson university flake.

Update a few hours later.Just swapped from falcon pipe to a Tanganyika meerschaum bowled system pipe because I didn't want to ghost the briar.Seems to of gained strength of taste in this narrower draught pipe as well as nicotine hit.Maybe it works better in a tighter smoke tube.This is much better,the taste is more concentrated.Lighting up it tasted aromatically of some sort of strawberry lipstick,like when I am lucky enough (or unlucky)to get kissed by a drunk bird.The baccy has a Virginia bias but the burley is well felt and adds that sort of wheaty cerial taste(shredded wheat).Tastes creamy like the cream of the milk.The aromas although there are faintly in the background as sort of support like dried berries in a cereal.I feel in this pipe it deserves its three stars better than before.Burns cool,stays lit and no bite.Is slightly sweeter than its similar contempory Grasmere flake.,its a natural sweetness and unfortified. Smoked in this tighter draught it has taken on similar taste to a Kentucky like condor smoked in a larger draught pipe so its quite a chameleon. The narrower smoke tube makes it hit my tongue harder,tasting very like condor now actually.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (69)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ennerdale Flake is a perfect example of too much of a good thing. I admire Gawith & Hoggarth's scented flakes. I find several of them to be quite outstanding. Moreover, every piper who has an affinity for these offerings has at one point in time thought the same thing – “I wonder what it would be like to smoke a “REALLY scented” G&H tobacco?" If you've ever asked yourself that question, look no further than this tobacco.

Altogether it burns nicely and as usual the tobacco is beautifully presented. The flavor is 100 percent, unequivocally driven by its heady, palate numbing topping. Ennerdale's flavor also has a serious half-life. I have smoked it in the middle of the day, only to find myself still tasting it the next day before lunch after two brushings, breakfast and several cups of coffee or strong tea.

Someone on this board once said that quite often whether or not you enjoy a particular scented Lakeland comes right down to whether or not you admire the topping. This analogy very much applies here.

As far as the flavor goes, I can't pick out the almond or citrus flavoring. Almond and citrus blossom, maybe. Vanilla?, perhaps. Ennerdale is sweet and it is very, very floral. I have heard the “after shave” descriptor thrown around a few times and I think I tend to agree.

I am going to see what Father Time does for my 4oz stash, (I should note that I have yet to try the tinned version). This works out perfectly, as I am not too keen on trying it again any time soon.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (23)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

WARNING: This tobacco will haunt your pipe like an angry poltergeist roaming about an old dungeon... Ghosting your pipe is an understatement. This tobacco will POSSESS your pipe for generations to come! I recommend trying it in a corn cob pipe first. If you enjoy it, you will likely need to offer up a solitary pipe to the Ghost of Ennerdale for smoking it. Otherwise the specter will inhabit the taste of every tobacco you smoke, for once Ennerdale enters your pipe, it can never leave...

pantera Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pantera (8)
Medium Extra Strong Medium Tolerable

Good tobacco but too soapy for me. Once you smoke in a pipe ever you feel the ghost.You have to use a dedicated pipe.

Tobacconists Aprentice Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tobacconists Aprentice (20)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I was introduced to this blend by a fellow member of the London Pipe Club a while ago. Frankly this is a classic.

The tin note is something to be believed. Rich vanillas and fruit with a distinct lavender and honeysuckle note with rich tobacco undertones coming through.

as with all S+G blends it rubs out a bit wet but lights quite well no doubt due to the casing and supurb tobaccos used in the blend.

It burns long cool and slow with no bite and the taste is sensational and as it smells! a palette of vanilla and soft fruit with a dry floral finish. The herbacious border room note is akin to an english garden in a late, hot, summer: leaves smouldering on the bonfire and the lavender and honeysuckle still in full bloom!

It burns to a mid grey ash but its a bit wasteful as its get a bit wet at the base of the bowl and hence some considerable waste/dottle. The flavour, though lovely becomes somewhat overpowering and stick-in-the throat if smoked over a whole evening so I have no more than 2 bowls of this per sitting.

The only real floor with this amazing blend, (and its a big one in my view) is the very heavy ghosting it causes. It took weeks of cleaning and smoking plain flakes in my sampling pipe to try and remove the lingering oily lavender flavour! Even reaming and did not remove it completely and I had to try and burn it out! In the end I had to put aside the pipe purely to smoke Ennerdale!! It still requires very frequent cleaning to avoid it tasting vile and is now uselss for smoking anything else in.

If it was not for this I would give this blend 4 stars any day of the week. A must try!

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (50)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Prior to opening the tin it already exuded a distinct scent of fruity gum due to the poor condition of the tin upon delivery. Still, once opened, it was typical G&H in that its well constructed flake was packed well in plastic. Flakes from this G&H blendappear more like shredded flake than the bacon thin flakes seen with their La Flake. It more resembles Bobs Chocolate Flake in that regard.

The actual tin note has the disturbing quality of an offsetting odor of almond / floral notes (not the offending scent, those are tender and sweet) mixed with what to me smells exactly like Cutter Off, a mosquito repellant I am all too familiar with, as I reside in SE Louisiana. That smell is disturbing. Better 1/2 says its deodorant smell.

Burn is spot on-G&H can never be faulted for inferior tobaccos- with a fantastic tasty bouquet of flavors....of which I cannot accurately identify. Some fruity gum, almond extract, good Virginia's, all molded in a light, refreshing blend. It's strong too, Vit N gets the heart rate up a notch. I believe the key is to sip lightly. Smoking aros out of a small Peterson's 300 series P-lip, small bowl, small draw, big taste!

Aromatics such as C Choice from Peterson's last three times as long for me as VaPers & VaBurs, English & Balkan blends, but I do enjoy them....when they are authentic. G&H is the real deal! I'm sold, will be cellaring, may buy in bulk and can it. If you like Lakeland sauces, this is for you, if your palate doesn't support these old school tastes, stay away....leaves more for us who do :)

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Overwhelming Tolerable

Well, when you turn your attention to a famous classic, you so want to like it, thousands of other smokers can't be wrong, can they?

So, in the immortal words of the Rolling Stones: "I try and I try and I try and I try..." But I just could not get beyond the overpowering taste of soap. Not for me, I'm afraid.

pdev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pdev (10)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wow this stuff is fantastic I only brought 25g just to try and was hooked it smells very nice rather floral ,it smokes great either rubbed out or as a flake it does not bite at all and burns evenly I liked it so much I now have a100g would very much recommend it give it a try ;)

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (53)
Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is weighed to order and smells of very strong almond flower scent. I thought the smell was too overpowering and I had my scepticism about whether I will like this tobacco or not. Breaking and rubbing the flake is very easy, packing and lighting as well.

There is really no pain at all keeping this tobacco lit. The first impression is an excellent Virginia tobacco smell with lots and lots of Orgeat style flavouring and some Vanilla. To be honest, I don't detect anything else, except a faint amount of earthy round Burley and a fainter taste of citrus.

This is also my first aromatic that does not contain any black Cavendish tobacco. Excellent and recommended tobacco, albeit too aromatic for my taste, it still ranks as one of top aromatics I have ever tried.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (51)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

The fundamentals of this tobacco are good. A quality semi-broken flake in the tin that lights and burns so well to a white ash. I partially rub out the flakes and dry a little before packing. The room note is at the bottom of my list of requirements in a tobacco, but it gets positive comments.

The main flavors are almond extract and the floral and citrus notes common in this genre of tobacco. These flavors can be quite strong and literally overwhelm the taste buds and mask the underlying tobacco flavors easily. I have found that the lightest of puffs carefully metered allow all the flavors to come through balanced. Very light puffs! Otherwise, it becomes an overload of almond with little to no tobacco flavor that makes me feel like I am smoking an incense stick.

Somewhat recommended. For me, this is a quirky change of pace to revisit periodically.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

There's a lot going on in this blend; certainly not for a novice. Despite all the florals/herbals/etc. in this blend, despite its being on the edge of just too much such flavorings for me, what comes across for me is the almond. Without that, I don't think I would like this half as much as I do.

If Lakelands interest you, give it a try. If they don't, stay far far away!

As for the flakes, pretty typical of GH. They shred easily enough I don't need to rub them out or dry them. YMMV

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

If tobacco families were fields of study in a college, my major would be English/Balkan with a minor in VaPers, but tonight and all this past week, I've been smoking Ennerdale (alongside McClelland's Yenidje Highlander, but I digress). In fact, I'm sitting here with a Wilmer Special straight apple containing the remnant ashes of a tightly packed bowl of this stuff. Before I tried Ennerdale, my only experience with G&H was Bob's Chocolate Flake. That faint Lakeland floral note in BCF drew me in and I wanted to experience at full throttle. EF definitely delivers in that regard and also delivers a nice faint note of sweet almond. The tobacco itself is first rate. Rich, deep and sweet VA, subtle nutty meat and potato notes lurk... The room note is beautiful... And sublime...I don't know if it will be a regular in my rotation, but I have no qualms calling myself a fan.

Big Stu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Stu (2)

Only been smookin a year or theer abarts, Ennerdale is my number one choice, morning noon or neet, BUT I cannot get hold of a tin, empty or full, I am willing to pay potsage etc. So if any of you have an unwanted or unliked, or any information leading to me obtaining a tin I would be ever-so grateful.

JTPIANO Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JTPIANO (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Full Tolerable

What a unique combination of greate virginia taste and whatever flavorings are used. The tobacco flavor comes through so well, and gets richer through the bowl. As much as I smell the floral notes in the tin, the smoke taste and room note are not over poweringly floral, rather, carry more of the sweetness I expect from virginias. I smoked a bowl in my car for about an hour and half on a business trip, and love the lingering smell for days. This tobacco is really a special one, in my book. I am cellaring a goodly supply.

... Et bonum nostrum Locutusque est Dominus tobacco in esse. Benedíctus!

Dr.sadik Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr.sadik (100)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

i have to say that this might be one of those love or hate tobaccos. now that being said, i am an aromatic smoker mainly however i appreciate good quality tobacco when i taste it and this blend is no exception. the leafs used are of high quality as expected from G&H, however the casing are a bit odd. lakeland, vanilla, citrus and almonds, all are there indeed but the combination just didnt do it for me. the casing is strong and it is sweet but neither it was straight vanilla cream nor it was fruity like danish or american market offerings persay. i tasted many G&H blends and i respect what they offer and i guess this blend will find its place among others favoritea. the moisture level was just right although it seemed sticky frim the pouch but it burned evenly to white thick ash. the smoke is cool and the strength was just about right to be an all day smoke. not really a social tobacco when it comes to room note i had to say. i advice that you try a small sample before indulging in big purchase just to be sure whether it will suit you or not.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I quite liked this tobacco. The floral notes were always pleasant and not overpowering in my experience. Due to its unique flavorings, this isn't a tobacco I could smoke all day every day. However, when I'm in the mood for a floral smoke, one couldn't do better than Ennerdale.

Soli Deo gloria!

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

After reading all the strong opinions about this tobacco here, I just had to try it. I like a bold, strong in-your-face tobacco. Unfortunately, this isn't one.

Don't get me wrong- this is a very nice tobacco of the highest quality- and the tin note and room note are BEAUTIFUL and not at all subtle. Trouble is, all of this baccy's resources seem to be tied-up in producing that wonderful aroma...but unfortunately, it doesn't carry through to one's mouth.

The aroma is unique and wonderful. I don't know why so many other reviewers say that it smells/tastes like soap or flowers. If you know of any soap that smells like this stuff, please tell me what it is and i will buy it![Might even smoke it!] This smells like something from the worlds finest bakery- very hard to describe- but maybe the world's finest fruitcake dusted with powdered sugar and talcum powder. Seriously though- this stuff smells so good I want to eat it!

But...that aroma does not carry through into flavor. There's not much flavor at all- it's actually quite bland- which is a big let-down after sampling that aroma. After smelling the tin note, I was expecting this to taste like Peterson's Irish Flake (one of my favorites) on steroids...but in actuality, Irish Flake tastes more like the way this smells.

It is not a strong tobacco, either [I like strong]- I really don't know why so many reviewers have such strong opinions about this one- at the very most, it is a medium tobacco. Although I'd put it in the mild category. Couldn't really find any nicotine in it :( It is well-mannered and smokes nicely- just not enough in the flavor or nic departments to keep me interested.

If you're looking for a mild to middle-of-the road tobacco with a beautiful tin/room note, but not a lot of flavor, you MUST try this.

If only the flavor were as potent as the aroma, I'd be in paradise with this stuff. Still a decent smoke though- but please give this a try for yourself, and don't be disuaded by some of the other reviewers, who are making out as though this were some ungodly-strong overbearing industrial-strength tobacco. It is NOT! Methinks that these reviewers are just being hoodwinked by their noses, and that they are not used to Lakelands [Not that I am...but I don't let the fact that this stuff is different throw me.]

All in all, this being a quite unique and different tobacco [even amongst other Lakelands] I would highly recommend that everyone try this. Even if it turns out not to be your favorite, there's nothing here not to like, and it won't go to waste.

Oh, and yes...it will ghost your pipe [but not for too long]. Funny thing is, I seem to get more of Ennerdale's flavor from the ghost when smoking other tobaccos afterward than I do from actually smoking the Ennerdale itself!! [And that is not a bad thing]

I've only smoked 4or 5 bowls of this so far..will update as I go through the tin if anything changes [I notice that with some of these earthy, old-world tobaccos, sometimes they seem bland at first, and then the flavor gradually emerges as you get used to them- as was the case with SG's 1792, which I love. So maybe that will happen with Ennerdale...I'll keep my fingers crossed!]

Elwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Elwin (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Do you like Gladiator movies? Are you confident in your sexuality? Do you want lakeland flavor - unadulterated lakeland flavor? This is it. Look no further. Accept no substitutes.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Here's Juicy Fruit Tobacco with a half gallon of almond extract and two gallons of rose water soaked into the leaf. I really enjoy most G&H Flakes and I have been smoking a pipe for 30+ years, this made me sick at my stomach! I tried two pipes of this nasty garbage. The taste will linger in your mouth all day and make everything you taste, taste just like the aromatic toping. Have a beverage and you taste Roses. Have some fish and you taste roses! Ennerdale must be Lakeland lingo for "smells like a cheap whore". Gag! Cough! Light on nicotene, too mild, just gag taste and aroma. No thank you.

UPDATE UPDATE; I let the tobacco rest for about a year. The flakes dried some and the moisture level is now perfect. I now see what the big fuss about this wonderful flake is! Mellow,fruity,outstanding!!!! This is the importance of leting a new bag full of tobacco rest before enjoying it fully.

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This is simply a delicious smoke, truly a love it or hate it blend that i think every pipe smoker should try at least once! Great Virginia/Burley flake with a very pleasent mix of Fruit and Floral flavors that burns very cool. Amazing

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

...a real favorite of mine...while similar to Condor Long Cut, St. Bruno, Players Navy Cut, and Walnut Flake, it also has its own character.There is a lakeland scent and flavor but it is not overly strong.

I prefer strong plug/flake tobaccos, but the many years of smoking typical British OTC flakes, Ennerdale suits me just fine. When available, I buy this in the 500 gr. (17.63 oz.)size and cellar some of it while adding the rest in my rotation.

Smoked in a group 4 size pipe and this is an all day smoke for me...especially in the early morning with hot tea/coffee. In the evening, with a wee dram of scotch.

A most worthy tobacco and it meets all of my criteria for what I consider a first rate smoke!

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very pleasant. if you are interested in lakeland tobacco this one is a must try. I smoke it in a clay to avoid ghosting my briar. despite the very strong essence added to the flake, it retains an impressive degree of natural tobacco flavor. not something i would smoke regularly, but a nice occasional alternative.

BriarTuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarTuck (5)
Medium Extra Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is Heaven or Hell. Akin to a lamb curry, either you love it or hate it. No middle ground.

99% of the time I smoke heavy Balkan blends, but I find an occasional aromatic similar to the lime sorbet served before a great dinner to refresh the palate.

For an aromatic smoker I am sure Ennerdale Flake will be a fine addition to your rotation. The heaviest Lakeland tobacco I've encountered. The tin aroma alarmed me to the point that I smoked it in a meerschaum for fear that even the one pipe I have relegated to aromatics would be forever tainted. You've been warned! The ghost created by this mixture will haunt your pipe that even an exorcism couldn't remedy.

I found it best when fully rubbed out and dried for an hour. Medium vitamin N and with no bite whatsoever at drier humidity. A very pleasant and unique smoking experience.

If you are a Lakeland lover this could be your holy grail. If you are a English/Balkan devotee like me, this tobacco may well end up in your rose garden.

For me it works as the opposite end of the spectrum to the Balkans I worship and rejuvenates my taste buds to fully appreciate the daily bombardments of Blue Mountain and Odyssey.

Camp Freddie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camp Freddie (10)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Straight out the bag this has a great floral scent, a little soapy but not unpleasant. It took a few lights to get it started but once lit the floral and vanilla flavours kick in nicely, then ease back into the blend leaving you with a sweet, cool smoke. By halfway through the bowl, the floral flavour dials back and leaves you with a rich bran/cereal flavour until the end.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Well after yrs of smoking a pipe & spending lots of time trying all kinds of tobaccos,i can say ive truly found a aromatic blend that i love,ive been passing this blend up for many yrs until i went to my local tobacco shop to get my usual Orlik Golden sliced, which they had none, so i could only get this in 50grams which i would not normally do,incase i did not like it,well i packed a pipe a lit it not thinking i would get any enjoyment out of the smoke, BUT WOW it was FANTASTIC to say the least. although i would recommend letting it dry a little before packing 10 mins should be fine, beleive me it makes all the difference to the smoke,well needless to say i smoke it every day now,& i bought 500grams bulk last wk & it will stay in my rotation from now on, ive also ordered another 500grams to cellar up, for me this is a love or hate tobacco but for me its nothing but pure love i give this 5* rating

Mike__P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mike__P (87)
Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

This is that rare aeromatic that tastes exactly like it smells . . . unfortunately. I enjoy the blends from sister company Samuel Gawith, and I don't mind a bit of Lakeland essence, but this is completely over-the-top. The casing is said to contain a concoction of fruit, almond, vanilla and other essences, but all I get is soap. And a lot of it. So much so, that it washes out (pardon the pun) the core tobaccos, which I trust must be good, because they look great and burn beautifully to a fine, light ash with no goop or dottle. It's very well-behaved and interesting to say the least, but just not for me. In my view, there are plenty of other VA/Bur blends to choose in its stead with lighter toppings that complement rather than dominate. What was I thinking?

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Another tobacco I bought based on reviews here, was both pleased and a little disconcerted by the aroma from the packet upon first opening. The wonderful cherry flavour wafted childhood memories of the double dips I used to buy from the sweet shop on pocket money day, I would not have been surprised to find a swizzel stick in the packet. I did also, however, remember the nice smell of GH's cherry cream flake, a tobacco that failed to deliver on its packet aroma amongst other things. Still, nothing gained, nothing ventured.

Surprisingly for a flake, both packing and lighting were easy, all the quicker to get into that flavour and check it out. Pleasantly surprised, suffice to say, would be putting it mildly. The cherry, not too sweet, but not too light, comes through nicely and fades through the smoke to be replaced by something akin to a light Glengarry flake, light, leafy and oaky flavours come through nicely. The room note isn't half bad either. Even the gurgling from the bowl towards the end of the smoke is strangely satisfying, like having the builders in - you know that all that hammering, sawing and drilling is no symphony, yet you know their doing their thing, that everything is good and proper and being done.

So, very reminiscent of the good old Glengarry, but not quite as heavy. Less a full Lord of the Rings style hike in the woods and more polishing off that gorgeous cherry pudding after a fantastic pub lunch (one of those fantastic free houses in the country with a thatched roof), a light walk in the nearby woods and then back home for a cup of tea and the Sunday papers.

ROBERT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ROBERT (16)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I like this blend very much the taste does tone down half way and it will ghost your pipe so have a pipe for this blend only it is sweet and does have a fruit flavour to it

piperookie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piperookie (21)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Avoid this chemical experiment or you will pay the consequences. What have they done? Colognes and aftershaves are not to be smoked. I know this blend has many friends - and many of my own love it - but i couldn't tolerate it even when i tried to dry it out, the chemical aftertaste was still present.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakeland blends are to pipe tobaccos what Islay malts are to scotches. It is a very specific flavor, and you will either love it or hate it. I for one absolutely love it, and it does not get more Lakeland than Ennerdale flake. When I think Lakeland, I think Ennerdale.

Years of smoking aromatics will jade an experienced pipe smoker. The majority of the aromatic pilgrimage is full of pitfalls and downright disappointment. How many times have we opened that bag of ooey gooey toffee bar crunch tobacco to be greeted by the most heavenly smell the human senses can detect. How many times have we lit said tobacco up to find tongue bite and tasteless steam? Not Ennerdale, whoa boy not Ennerdale. For once the old tobacco proverb "it tastes like it smells" is an accurate description. This phenomenon is as rare as finding an albino sasquach but it is genuine here.

This tobacco comes in a super compressed chunk O' flake, which makes the flakes almost impossible to get appart in one piece, so the fold and stuff method is hard. It seem to be a little wet, as with most G & H blends, but it still smokes just fine. This blend may taste like Lakeland floral but it is still mainly Virginia's and if your not careful it can bite a little. The room note is very different than most. Some people might even not be able to identify it as pipe smoke. It also seems to linger a while longer. This will put a ghost in your pipe that the pope himself could never exorcise so be aware.

I love it, and you can buy it in bulk too. Just awesome stuff. Highly recommended.

StrykerTW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrykerTW (4)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not quite sure how I wound up with a 2oz bag of this stuff. I must have accidentally added it to my online cart. I rarely order aromatics.

When I opened the bag of Ennerdale, I was nearly knocked off my feet by the overpowering floral/spice aroma. It was just too much. The bag was going to be tossed in the basement on the 'yuk' tobacco shelf, but I felt I should at least try one bowl. I was almost afraid to puff this stuff. I thought I might turn into a bowl of potpourri.

Here' the crazy thing. Ya' know how cherry blends tend to smell super cherry yummy when you stick your nose in the bag, and then you light up and barely can detect cherry through the burnt surgar yukkiness? Ennerdale smokes with a much more subtle flavor than the smell of the unburnt tobacco would suggest. No sugary slimy yukkiness. Smooth and tasty. Burns well. Little to no tongue bite. Wife says it smells nice (first time ever). I was shocked, so I lit up another bowl. And another. Good stuff this. Might have to dedicate a pipe to it though.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (130)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first try at the floral Lakeland tobaccos. This seems too overly strong on the floral end and just takes away from a very nice blend. I can tell that the tobacco components are first rate. It is moist, some would say overly moist, right out of the tin. But it did light up and burn very easily. I just could not get past the floral room note. Personally I do not really like this in my pipe smoking pleasure, but it seems to be a love it or hate it blend like so many in this part of the field. I would say at least give it a try, you may like it.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

A full on lake Flake both floral and creamy, yet light bodied. Reminds me of a much lighter version of Kendal Flake. Really smooth and wonderful. I have found out over the years most Lakeland offerings either lightly or heavily scented, Flakes or Plugs really improve with adequate drying time. once all but bone dry, it packs, lights easy and burns dry. cool and clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Some Lakelands work better for me using the old fold and stuff method, while others work better rubbed out. I like the fold and stuff method with Ennerdale. The scenting really accentuate the sweet and nutty flavors of the tobacco. As previously stated this simply reminds me of a Kendal Flake Lite. Wonderful for outdoor smoking under the patio, on the front porch, or when around non smokers or when puttering around in the shop or yard.

Yogimu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yogimu (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very flavoursome blend, burns cool and doesn't tend to bite. Definitely adding this to my regulars stash.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (20)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Recommended highly if you like your tobaccos rich and full and with the funky taste of a pronounced Lakeland. Goes well with a black coffee and is overall an extremely satisfying smoke. The raw materials used are obviously top drawer, at least as far as the tobaccos are concerned (I'm no perfume expert). It benefits from a good airing, which will get rid of some of the 'soap' and bring the tobaccos more to the fore.

Word of warning: this tobacco ghosts heavily. The scent won't leave your pipe in a hurry.

Tee-dub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tee-dub (48)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

As a non-Brit, I was put off by the almost overwhelming soapiness. If you wonder what others mean by 'Lakeland floral' or 'soapy' try some Ennerdale. From a fresh tin, this tobacco gives the impression of a mouthful of soapy flower petals.

The tin note? Handsoap.

It took some getting used to. And once I got used to it, I sort of liked it. And those weird, off-putting essences sort of grew on me.

Once it has dried a little the essences aren't as overpowering, and a pleasant tobacco taste reveals itself. Despite its being nominally an aromatic--others find the aroma pleasing--nevertheless it burns cool, it burns dry, and it tastes good. It is different, and it's a very pleasant change-up.

That soapiness permeates the entire experience, and after a few bowls I found it increasingly pleasant. A sort of flowery essence, cool and refreshing, fills the nose when smoking this. Give it a chance and it might grow on you.

goldfinger63 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
goldfinger63 (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

this is one of worse tobaccos i have tried,tasty lakeland soap.a word of warning,if you going to try this for the first time.i recommend you to smoke this in one of your old pipes as it leaves a ghost in your pipe.try samuel gawith navy flake,beats this one.

Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

First let me say that I am a fan of Lakeland style tobaccos, especially those from Gawith Hoggarth. I don't mind the soapy taste in many of the GH blends but Ennerdale was simply too much of a good thing. The flake arrives too moist to smoke out of the tin and the strong cased smell carry's over to the smoke. As others have pointed out, this will really ghost a pipe. It should be smoked in a cob or a pipe dedicated to this blend. GH does a great job with scented tobaccos IMHO because the tobacco flavor usually comes to the front leaving a nice background scent. However this is not the case with Ennerdale. I would recommend this for the hardcore Lakeland lovers only.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

In the beginning I thought I mistakenly bought an after shave in solid form. Then I understood that indeed that was sold as tobacco (yes, there is a ghost of tobacco in the background). I put the rest of the tobacco in the compost in the garden, but then I thought that we need the worms in there alive, to facilitate the composting process. So I went out, put it in a small plastic bag, sealed it hermetically and in the garbage it went. The poor pipe sits with cotton balls and pure alcohol. Hopefully the mistake will be forgiven. As we said, it's love or hate...

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm about half-way through a 500g box of Ennerdale Flake. I tried a few 2 oz. samples before I made a commitment to the larger purchase, though. I am a fan of British scented flakes in general and Ennerdale is one of the tastiest I've smoked. I love the flavor and scent, and the base tobaccos are excellent. The only problem is the flavorings are just a little too strong. I wish they were toned down about 50%.

For me, the trick to fully enjoying Ennerdale Flake is to smoke as slowly as I possibly can. This seems to increase the contribution of the great base tobaccos and minimize the delicious Lakeland flavoring to a more enjoyable level. Once you get the perfect pace, smoking Ennerdale Flake can be a wonderful experience. Careless puffing or constant relighting will ruin the smoke in my opinion.

That is not to say that DGT does not work well with Ennerdale; it does. Ennerdale does require a little drying time and it will surely ghost a pipe.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is at first the roses and anise (soap & licorice), stronger than you'd expect from a scented Lakeland blend, slowly cereal Virginia sneaks up in the background. Citrusy fruit and vanilla help sweeten the whole thing. Anise (Licorice) aroma must cover up the almond and any nuttiness from the small amount of burley. I don‘t detect any in the tin aroma.

Nice moist flake - rubs out beautifully.

Rose / soap flavor follows through on light up, joined momentarily by a much lighter version of the licorice. I get the impression that all those old American Burley Blends, were trying to create something like this. But here I taste no chemical flavors, as strong as the flavoring is, It tastes like real anise and rose petals. Sweet dry oatmeal of the Virginia increases as the bowl burns down. Hints of molasses drift in and out turning the background from oatmeal to ginger snaps and graham flour. All behind the rose petal fragrance, with the anise growing in prominence later down the bowl. Damn cool smoke too.

Smoking Lakeland tobaccos makes me feel as if I'm experiencing something old. Like some timeworn tradition, (perhaps from a galaxy far, far away). Every pipe smoker should try Lakeland blends (Scented & Unscented). They are in a class by themselves. The way these flakes are blended and the traditional way they steamed and pressed, make them unique. A tradition maintained by a few tobacco blenders around the town of Kendall in the Lakelands (County of Lake) in England Love ‘em or leave ‘em they are a piece of pipe history. They aren't like the over flavored chemical laced American blends, the flavors (as strong or odd as they are) aren't there to cover up crappy tobacco and factory handling. Try the style even if it's not this blend.

Like everyone here says, with this flowery version, you are likely to either love it - or hate it. It's still an excellent example of the Scented Lakeland style. Although the floral-anise flavor may not be a flavor I would choose to smoke regularly, it was a surprisingly pleasant change-up in the batting order. And who doesn't like to be pleasantly surprised.

One downside is the lingering rose fragrance. My office still smelled like Grandma's perfume for days after smoking. Also continued to taste rose and anise the next day. In fact, after a few bowls, I realized that smoking this stuff indoors is not a good idea. Not only does the scent take hold and hang on, but breathing my own “second hand” smoke from this blend started to irritate my sinuses and throat. Finished the tin outdoors, no more worries. Have to knock it down a star for that. 2 ½ Stars

If you want to try the scented Lakeland style without all the flowers, try Bob's Chocolate Flake or Rum Flake, both also from Gawith Hoggarth & Co.

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant

The very essence of the 'British' style of pipe tobacco. Flavour is overwhelming if you don't like it, and very pleasant if you do. I found it to be an upscale version of packets like Mellow Virginia and St Bruno, with the same flavour but a bit more subtlety and less of a chemical taste.

don1688 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
don1688 (27)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I hate the "it tastes like soap" every time I read about a non Latakia English tobacco. I find them wonderfully floral and a great change for me. Grousemoor and Sam's flake are two of my favorites and both smell wonderful to me. I never tried Ennerdale because I was actually scared off by th vanilla and nut flavorings listed- just not my thing. Well I finally, after about 5 years Thinking about it bought a couple tins. One arrived unsealed, which always drives me crazy because I will usually let them cellar a while, so I tried it right away.

Well, it smells and tastes like "soap" before lit! But the flavor when it matters, lit is great. Tobacco is the main flavor, Virginias mostly to me, with some burley strength noted. The soap turns into a nice floral and, another often used adjective, perfume background. I don't notice the vanilla, but the floral scent is quite strong, and the Virginias are sweet and a smokey background from burley peeks in and out when I smoke it. Floral, soapy and perfume...yes. Real, quality tobacco...also yes.

This is NOT for everyone. I always believed flavored tobaccos are better for experienced pipers and I feel it's a disservice to tell new smokers to start there. But, if you were ever thinking of trying it, go for it. Just don't blame me if it disagrees with you and you hate it.

walney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
walney (1)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As a recent covert to the briar I have been trying a variety of tabaccos to establish my tastes. I must admit not expecting to like Ennerdale from the description, soapy, floral etc but having been brought up 20 miles from Kendal the home of Gawiths and being a lover of the Lake District I thought I should try it and what a pleasant suprise. I bought 25 grams loose today and have just smoked two bowls one after the other. It reminded me of the smell of pipe tobacco from when I was a teenager when many more men smoked a pipe than today. As a smoke it was mild and mellow and the aroma was pleasant and I can understand why this is a favourite and best seller.

char builder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
char builder (3)
Medium Very Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried this belend as my first foray into the "Lakeland" stlye of tobaccos. I now know what other people mean by "soapy". The tobacco flavor is there and is pleasant. The casing comes through as well. I was actually looking for an aromatic in which the flavors came through in the smoke, however this flavor is not my cup of tea. Not auful, and I will finish the tin, but will probably not order more. You really have to try this for yourself to determine if you like this flavoring or not.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is truly a love it or hate it blend. The floral tin note is very strong. I can only guess that this strong floral scent is what many people describe as soapy. Anyway, I like it! The Virginia's are smooth and tasty, and the topping just seems to enhance the whole smoking experience.

plumesnrings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plumesnrings (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I love this stuff, can't wait for the summer to sit down with a big bowl an d just relax. It does remind me a little of one of the very first cigarettes I smoked, nicked from a friends dad, Texan, any SA'ers will know. Yum! Only thing is I do like a stronger Nicotine content!

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium Very Strong Full Strong

This one is a real soap-bomb. If you don't like blends such as St Bruno and Condor because of their soapiness then you aren't going to like this.

Personally, I think I have found a firm favourite. The flavour is closer to Condor than St Bruno, but if anything it is even more assertive, which is to say that it is even soapier and has flowery qualities in addition to what I perceive as the sour, citrusy notes of Condor.

I do like the fact that this is basically 96% VA and I would love to try the base tobaccos without the off-the-wall casing applied. I am sure they would be pretty tasty. Nevertheless, the fact that it has such a high VA content does mean that it has to be smoked appropriately - smoke it too wet or too hastily and you will get bitten, and it is easy to forget this when other tobaccos of a similar flavour profile are amongst some of the most tolerant in terms of moisture content and smoking pace, largely due to a fire-cured constituent that is lacking here.

So, a sound and almost straight VA base with the kind of flavour profile that smokers of British OTC blends know and love. Nicotine is sufficient to satisfy, but not as strong as a lot of the other soapy flakes.

My only criticism is that it does seem to burn a little hot and a little fast sometimes, although this is very unusual for a GH&Co flake so I can't help thinking it is probably something to do with my preparation and smoking rather than a fault of the tobacco. Either way, it isn't enough of a problem for me to knock a star off.

The usual stuff about the fine, powdery grey ash applies.

Edit Aug 2012: I am revisting some of my reviews and regrading, reserving 4 stars only for a select few that have become mainstays in my extended rotation. Ennerdale is still excellent and when you feel the urge nothing else quite hits the spot. Whilst I always have some on hand, I find that with so many other tasty Lakelands on the menu this one doesn't get as much air time nowadays. It loses a star.

Leslie Blane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leslie Blane (6)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I adore this blend's perfume. It's something I imagine the lovely; vivacious English actress Susan Hampshire might have worn when she was younger.

The downside is that upon first lighting, this tobacco has a distinctly peppery bitter taste that you have to endure before a nuttier, sweeter, more balanced tobacco flavor asserts itself. I suppose that's the "soap" burning off.

The bitterness never entirely goes away and at times can impart an ashy taste. I'd say it comes and goes almost as if it depends on the brain offering different interpretations of a hard-to-pin-down taste. The room note is not quite so perfumy. It's a distinctly English scent of leathery tobacco and flowers. The blend burns well, does not bite and has a moderate nicotine kick, less than that of Kendal Flake, another GH tobacco I've smoked.

There was a time when I would have given Ennerdale four stars, but I find I'm less tolerant of the bitterness that comes with the perfume than I used to be.

UPDATE Rubbing out the flake and packing lightly eliminated the bitterness that kept me from giving this tobacco four stars. I'm upgrading my recommendation accordingly. When packed lightly, the tobacco burns nicely down to a fine, light ash and the topping becomes delicate instead of overpowering and the bitterness vanishes.

Medium Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

This tobacco is as easy to review as it is hard to rate. A classic Lakeland with a twist, Ennerdale is composed by top quality Virginias with a touch of Orientals, the typical soapy/floral Lakeland casing and the twist: a strong hazelnut-like flavoring that some will find exhilarting and others vomitive. The great base tobaccos shine towards the bottom of the bowl, once the topping has faded and the taste buds get used to the casing.

Recommended with reserves, since no other tobacco could deserve a 1 star as much as a 4 star rating.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ennerdale Flake has the top particularities of a classical fruity- sweet Virginia blends of Lakeland style. It is similar to St. Bruno as underlined by the other reviewers. However it has an important point that the mild casing never shadows the true Virgina flavor in this blend. That's I think why GH has a top seller here. It is not a strong blend. Smokes cool, nutty and fruity (maybe soapy for some of us). An all day high quality smoke for me.

Jocose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jocose (12)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

After trying a sample of Ennerdale I bought a pound for the cellar. It was true love at first bowl. You just can't go wrong with a blender like G&H.

Ennerdale is the epitome of a lakeland style tobacco, a fine scented Virginia flake indeed (approved by the Briarite) in which you will find no tongue bite.

I find this to taste surprisingly similar to (Murray's) Erinmore flake and like EF, it's mild on nicotine but full of flavor!

If you dare venture into the Lakeland style flakes, be sure to try this.

4.2 Stars

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Medium to Strong Extra Strong Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

Foul stuff, made me sick. I really tried to like this in several types and sizes of bowls, alas, failed to ring my bell in the slightest. It literally made me nauseous. Had to put it away, hoping that I would forget it and it would crawl away into another county to haunt some poor unsuspecting pipe head. What is it about this stuff that makes me ill? I can't believe it's my chemistry since Bosun Cut Plug and CCP are still in my line-up.

Sorry, gave it a shot, can't stand even to look at it. Yuck!

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)

A sensible, honest, middle-of-the-road flake, that is both inoffensive and unspectacular; it's plain to see why this is G&H's flagship flake - and one enjoyed by a broad spectrum of pipe-heads.

It's very much in a league of its own with a rather peculiar, yet intriguing flavour and aroma: Almond? Hmm... Ok, I'll just about give you that, although I'm more inclined to fall on the side of 'Other/Misc'! It reminds me very much of an aged potpourri, all spice, and cinnamon, mixed in with something like a touch of anise. It really wouldn't appear out of place tucked in a kitchen spice rack. In principle, the casing seems very heavy, but in reality it smokes rather light on flavour. Neither is the tobacco particularly strong. Indeed, it's such a cool smoker that you're hard pressed to believe that there's any Burley in there at all. It all comes across as... well... a little bit boring, if I'm honest - as if there's so much going on that it serves to cancel itself.

Ennerdale doesn't seem to behave in the pipe quite as well as the other G&H flakes, tending to err on the side of wet through the mid bowl, and the need to re- light. However, it's also far less flowery, which probably accounts for its popularity.

All in all, a decent enough sweet, slightly spicy smoke, but a largely forgettable flavour, despite all its boasts.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Medium Strong Medium Strong

Hmm, well I'm not sure. I've read and re-read these reviews and smoked another pipe or two of this and I have to come down on the side of "don't like". How this is anyone's best selling flake I just cannot fathom. I live just down the road from where they make this stuff and I've tried a few of G&H's tobaccos and I can't say that I'm getting on with them. It just tastes of chemicals to me. Horrible bite, but really I think it must be the casing and the perfume, it just leaves a horrible claggy coating in my mouth that takes all day to dissipate.

So I've tried drying it out and after a few days it's ok but still a sort of chemical taste. The tobacco looks and seems like it must be good quality but it's just wrecked by the casing, in my opinion. I'm not a fan of aromatics anyway but this is silly. Why not let the tobaccos speak for themselves with all the different ways of curing them and so on?

I'm guessing that maybe there's a trick to it but to me life's too short to be hanging around with this one as there are many other tobaccos I've tried that I get on much better with, especially the Samual Gawiths stuff, which is made just round the corner from this lot but couldn't be more different. G&H is made on an industrial estate whereas SG's stuff is made in an old stone building and I think that it sort of comes through in the product, though SG's stuff is incredibly hard to get hold of in the Bay area, alas, whereas G&H's is everywhere.

It packs and lights fine, smokes fine, but I've found the taste to be offputting and not in the slightest bit interesting. I'll keep on trying until I've smoked the rest I have but at the moment it's just one dimensional chemical pretense methinks. Like a pipe tobacco for the day the world turned day-glo? perhaps that's a bit harsh.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (109)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Another Marmite tobacco: either you love it or you hate it. To me, it's filthy stuff - absolutely dreadful. I would go so far as to say that it's one of the most unpleasant tobaccos I've ever tried. I can see why it's so popular, though. It rubs out and packs easily, burns well and slowly, gives a uniform result all the way down the bowl, and doesn't bite you unless you smoke so hard that anything will bite you. It's worth a try if you like a hefty casing - but be warned: ‘hefty' is the operative word.

Like some of the other reviewers here, I found the scents/flavours strange, crude and overpowering - to say the least of it. God knows what they put in it to make it taste and smell the way it does, but IMO tobacco shouldn't smell and taste like this. EF is, I think, a tarted-up version of G&H's excellent Brown Flake. It's a tobacco that seems to be trying too hard to be interestingly different. In terms of flavour, it has what I can only call a general, overpowering, sickly, chemical, artificial quality. To my mind, EF is way, way over the top of where a tobacco should be; it tastes and smells like a tart's boudoir.

"'English type' flavours which give this tobacco its distinctive, yet typical 'English' aroma"? I don't really understand this description. There's no Latakia here, and I can't see anything 'English' about this tobacco as I understand the term. Indeed, I've never come across anything quite like it.

I have a suspicion that EF will improve if you cellar it: the flavours may well mature into something a bit less riotous and raw. It leaves a very noisy and assertive ghost, by the way, so maybe try it in a corncob or meer first. The room note certainly isn't to everybody's taste, either; it'll probably kill the fleas that the dog brought in. Maybe it'll even kill the dog. Not recommended, I'm afraid. On the contrary, actually. I would counsel anyone who doesn't like tobacco to taste like a cheap aftershave to avoid it at all costs.

Pipe Used: Peterson 312

Age When Smoked: New from the shop

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium Mild Full Very Pleasant

A little British saying springs to mind. " One man's meat is another man's poison." This tobacco fits the addage in my opinion. I first liked this blend, then hated it for weeks,the smell and taste made me feel ill. Then I tried it again, can't honestly say why, but I was then hooked. It seems to vary from shop to shop, probably due to speed of stock change, as I find this more tasty when very fresh. If it tasted, as some maintain, like St Bruno, Condor or Erinmore, then I would not touch it, let alone smoke it, as all the foregoing have at some time in my past made me physically sick. What a happy youth, spent in experimentation and hard lessons. The bouquet and taste remind me of Oil of Citronella, which I and many others have used to keep flies away from our horses. The more smokers it keeps away, the more there will be for us "Devotees." Do keep a dedicated pipe though, mine keeps "insects" and other unwanted "pests" out of my office. Happy Days.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Yeah this is great tobacco...Uniq and delightful...First i see somewhere, blender's top selling flake...Its so right this is finest GH... Smokes cool and dry...Good composition of virginia and burley...

Always 2-3 tins in my stash...I like it so much...

Contemplative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contemplative (14)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

Now, I have something called Ennerdale Flake, but it comes in a pouch with a rather cheap stick-on label by some outfit called 'Market News'. I bought this stuff at the Newsagent's in the Market Square, Dover, Kent, U.K.

There's no mention of Gawith, Hoggarth and Co, but having seen other reviews I think this must surely be the same stuff, but repackaged.

Upon opening the pouch I was immediately impressed by the strong aroma of the contents, which is dark brown, long and stringy flake. You expect flake to smell quite strong, but this was quite a powerful, heady aroma. It has a base which is kinda St Bruno, but what hits you most are the higher scale notes of fruit, eucalyptus, vanilla, nuts....if it sounds unpleasant, it ain't, cos it is really very good and very authoritative. You just know immediately that this is a darned good, very pronounced, very long-established flake.

So it proves when you light up. The flavour is just terrific. It's a wonderful sensation evoking wood-panelled boardrooms and Victorian decision-making. Like the Victorians, you girdle the globe as you experience the different corners of your empire -sweet fullness of the fruity sun-kissed Med, coolness of the Canadian north, dark fullness of Africa, spicy nuttiness of the Far East, sunny freshness of eucalyptic Australia. The mix is extraordinary, but never discordant, and has a completely authoritative central, woody strength, which holds the whole together with consummate ease. It's a pleasure down to the last puff. The burn is strong and steady all the way, lotsa smoke. No gloop, no bite despite the strength.

I am mightily impressed, and highly recommend this flake.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I have had a few of the flavored tobaccos from G & H so I knew what I was getting into with this flake. Had to dry it out a bit. The blend lights and stays lit fairly well if allowed to dry out. If not, you have to relight quite often. The added flavors melded well with the usual Lakeland scent and flavor. The only complaint that I have about this blend is that it is too consistent. There were pretty much no surprises throughout this blend. What you start with is what you finish with. I guess that this is a good thing but I found it to be rather boring. I smoked this in a pretty tall bowled Zulu and it took about an hour and a half to smoke. I would probably smoke this again but would rather have their Dark Flake - scented.

fjaramilloa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fjaramilloa (2)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I had huge spectations for this flake with superb reviews. Upon opening the tin the smell assaulted me with notes of cheap bar bathroom air freshener. When ligthed, the nauseating perfume highlights and evoke the smell of a taxi cab or a bawdyhouse. I am sure is quality tobacco by a quality blender but the overtones of sanitation, simply spoiled this flake.

tonalsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonalsmoker (30)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

This aromatic has become one of my treasured blends in terms of being unique.The virginias and burleys provide a nice touch to the smoke providing a nice mild yet a little medium smoked with a very earthy undertone.Now the topping is something very different,a very floralesque casing has been added to the blend(ignore the description saying 'fruit and vanilla' believe me,it's very floral yet it provides depth and character with the burleys and stands in it's own as an aromatic.Recommended for a spring or summertime smoke.Don't worry about the room note though, it doesn't linger too long.

Roverboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Roverboy (5)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium to Full Strong

This is the most disgusting muck I have ever smoked. I am so glad I bought a small sample, the rest of that went in the bin. I can only liken this to eating a kipper (not that it tastes of kipper, I almost wish it did) in as much as the taste won't seem to go away.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another good blend from a great blender. As advertised this is G&H's best selling flake. With all of the very popular flakes offered by this blender that has to tell you something. Everyone can't be wrong.

As with most flakes from G&H for me I need to dry, and rub out this flake. Once this is done I find the pack, light, and burn to be good. The initial flavor is somewhat sweet. Between the Vas, and the toppings this is to be expected. As the bowl progresses the flavor settles into a nice mild smoke. The sweetness moves back, and the quality tobaccos take over. I also find that this blend has less bight than most Va. blends. All in all this is not my desert island choice but I sure wont toss this out to sea. Top quality, sweet mild.....a lot to like here.Rate *

Red Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Red (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This stuff is just yummy,I did not thik much of EF at first but when I noticed that the 4oz bag I had was almost gone... well.. I decided i really did like the blend. It has that G&H floral note to it but I really do like that tast. I now have a pound of it in my celler. You just have to try it for yourself.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (69)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Excellent stuff. Good tobacco taste + interesting case + no experience of goopaphilia in the briar.

Images evoked include a DO NOT DISTURB hotel cardboard slat on a doorknob at 10am the morning after prom.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening my bulk sample I was intoxicated with this tobacco's scent. It was sorta soapy sorta licorice and definately like nothing I came across before. I was leary but rubbed out a bit for a bowl. It rubbed out to fine strands that were noticably soft more like a clothe fiber then any flake tobacco I've tried. Lighting this was a breeze and the flavor was yes soapy but not lasting. The soap faded to a tobacco taste that well seemed ok all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Nothing grand but I noticed over the next few days I'd gravitate towards this blend enjoying all the flavors from odd to regular to hey pretty darn good. Then I lost my sample of this tobacco and I went goofy looking for it. No luck but until I get more in I am reluctant to give 4 stars, but I did order more in desperation so will update soon.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Yet another very fine blend from Gawith,Hoggarth and Company. I smoke quite a few of this firms blends and I never cease to be amazed at their skills. I happen to really like the "flowery" essence of this tobacco, my partner says it smells very floral and I could definitely taste the flavor all the way down the bowl. Very pleasant and not to strong in the nicotine department (just my opinion)...it does leave a "flowery" aftertaste which does linger, but this did not bother me. I will say that I can understand that this tobacco is not for everyone due to the flavoring, but I am very pleased. Recommended if you truly want to try a very different, yet very high quality smoke.

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

The moment the flame hit the tobacco the aroma screamed 'Incense'. I thought to myself have I just made a mistake? I pressed on. The aroma is the first thing that strikes you, once passed your greeted with a most unusual taste that is akin to eating flowers. This will pass. It takes just a short while before the true tastes begin to emerge. Complex and full. I smoked it to the end and wished it had lasted longer. This is not Erinmore, this is a flavorful, contemplative journey. If you smoke aromatics and want something beyond the vanilla realm then try this.

5/30/06 Do yourself a favor and put some of this up to age for at least a year. The difference in the quality of the smoke will make it well worth the time invested. The sweetness of the virgina's really shine and the aroma of the casing becomes more pleasant. I'm so impressed with aging Gawaith blends that they've become my main tobacco choice.

jimbcac Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimbcac (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This was my first intro into the Virginias (and to G&H for that matter) after the first 50gm tin I started buying it in bulk. Is a good steady standby..Lovely aroma, A bit hard to get lit sometimes, however in a nice seasoned briar it is hard to beat. Cool smoke an ALMOST menthol taste. One suspects that you either really like this stuff, or else will use it to kill slugs. The wife seems to find this one of the lesser evils of my tobacco choices (well it IS kind of hard for a non smoker to enjoy the 'aroma" of Latakia. I remember the first time I got a whiff of Balkan Sabrani.Two guys chain smoking the stuff...I left the room VERY quickly).. If you are looking for a full bodied cool smoking tobacco, with a bit of personality you might give this a try..

drew2907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drew2907 (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Ennerdale flake i love it , its got every thing that i as a three year only pipe smoker wants. strong enough to give an enjoyable flavour but mild and cool enough not to bite back, i find it englishish but not as plain as some english blends. It shows it`s quality straight from the packet, good colour, nice texture. Also it dosent crumble to dust like some flakes i dont rub it out to much just loosen and fold it gives a slow cool burn without many relights. Maybe a bit aromatic for out and out english blend smokers but a good first flake for the beginer.

Air Commodore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Air Commodore (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a great well balanced flake in my opinion. It smells terrific and doesn,t dissapoint when lit. I find a lot of flakes smell good and have a nice aroma but taste strong and harsh - not this one. Good all round flake tobacco.

Update:

This is it. I've decided this is my favourite, and will smoke no other apart from Balkan Mixture.

latakiahaze Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
latakiahaze (11)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Continuing my foray into the world of Lakeland tobacco's I came upon this pleasing flake.

Greeted with thick strands of a mottled brown and black flake flecked with yellow, it is highly satisfying to rub and mould the mixture into a medium to large sized pipe.

The immediate aroma from the unburned flake is that of pineapple, perhaps with traces of other sweet fruits.

Like many flakes it took awhile to start burning to my satisfaction, but once combustion has properly begun the first impression was of a rather mild, cool, insipid smoke. However, the strong fruity tastes soon emerged as the tobacco heated up.

Overall the mix burned a little hot with a background dry spiciness flavour akin to perique. Never harsh, however, this smoke gradually improved down the bowl and it was disappointing to finish early. I was personally unable to detect either vanilla flavours, or the "soapy" floral overtones one reads so much about with Lakeland blends.

This tobacco was a very nice suprise and one I will certainly be returning to again.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although I have enjoyed smoking a sample of this tobacco forwarded to me by the esteemed Old Sea Rock, I have to agree with NEWMAN that the heavy floral taste and scent keep me from giving this tobacco a better review. It is without doubt a fine tobacco, and very good of its kind, if you like the kind. I have made progress, and can now imagine smoking some of these scented flakes from time to time with pleasure, but in general this just isn't my thing. Excellent for educating the palate, though.

Carlos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlos (18)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I like this one very much too. Smell is very nice - like exclusive perfumes. It burns very cold!!!