A broad coin-cut flake, Comoy's Cask No.7 wraps a mix of Virginias and pure Perique around a dark center of smooth black Cavendish, topped with a slight aromatic.

BrandComoy's of London

2.9
PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (88)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite a nice coin sliced tobacco...Initially, I was put-off on the addition of Black Cavendish at the center of the coil thinking it may add a sweetness that I do not care for. However, I've been pleasantly pleased that I don't get any of that Black Cavendish sweet taste.

The Perique and Virginia work well together and if there is any "sweet taste" it is from the Virginia alone. I believe this tobacco is a solid performer and the more I have smoked it, the better I like it.

Leaving the coin intact, I fold and stuff two coins in a group3/4 size pipe and have had no trouble in keeping it lit. Burns clean, little dottle, and flavor remains throughout the the bowl. A most affordable tobacco from STG.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: Group 3/4 size

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

The Virginias are very grassy with sweet citrus, and just a little of earth. The perique is raisins, figs, and spice in a supporting role. The black cavendish is creamy smooth with a very mild touch of vanilla, and smooths out the blend at times, depending on how you pack your bowl. Burns at a moderate pace, cool and even, and pretty smooth, though the Virginias have just a slight lack of depth at times. Leaves little moisture in the bowl. The nic-hit is mild. Has a pleasant after taste.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another very solid offering from the Comoys folks. After purchasing a number of their blends in bulk to try I have been nothing but impressed by their products.

Cask No. 7 is a very solid blend indeed. I enjoy these coin cut tobaccos, and some of my favorite blends fall within this bailiwick including escudo and PS.

This blend came to me in the perfect state to smoke. The moisture was very nice. I am in a habit to rub out my coin cuts so all my experiences with this blend were fully rubbed out before smoking. Often times a little extra attention must be payed to the very tight cavendish in the middle of the coins. It does not like to rub out very well.

This tobacco took flame very well and I have little to no trouble keeping it lit. This is a delight to smoke. I kept getting subtle licorice hints. The type of taste you notice and spend the rest of the bowl looking for again. This blend reminded me slightly of one of my favorites Troost special cavendish. Would definitely recommend.

Dottie Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dottie Warden (18)

Straight forward. Pleasant. Unremarkable.

Upon opening the tin the aroma is that of straight virginia tobacco. The appearance is broken flake with some coin shaped disks still in tact strewn about. I tend to fully rub out flakes as to bring out the flavor, and with this tobacco I do the same. After 10 minutes or so of dry time it is ready to smoke and delivers enough true virginia tobacco flavor to merit bowl after bowl. This is definitely an all day or any time of the day smoke. I prefer to smoke several small bowls than one large one, to keep the natural sweetness of the top half of the bowl. It may tend to gurgle if smoked too quickly, but as a sipper the bit left at the bottom of the bowl is not overly moist upon finishing. For those that appreciate true virginia tobacco flavor, this product won't let you down. I'll certainly maintain some on hand for those moments when I feel like an uncomplicated, reliable smoke.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoyed this and yes it is an Escudo clone, but at less than half the price. I also like the wee paint tin it comes in which seals up really well (seems pretty much air tight to me as over the course of six months the moisture level has remained constant.

This could easily be an all day smoke as there's no bite and a moderate nicotine level and of course just a great taste. This is not likely to blow anyone away but should please many. For the money, highly recommended.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (143)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Is there really any need for another in the long line of Escudo clones? We have Deluxe Navy Flake, Luxury Bullseye Flake with its Cavendish core, and Davidoff Flake Medallions. All more or less approximate the loved formula. And here is Cask No. 7. Does it offer anything the others have failed to deliver? Does it provide a price point advantageous to its peers? No, and no. Cask No. 7 is a virtual clone of LBF, down to the very price. I'll smoke my sample and stick to Escudo, thanks.

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (42)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Nice looking coins. You get some sweetness from the Virginias and cavadish, plus a nice spiciness from the perique. But be careful if you puff like a choo-choo train it'll get hot. I prefer to rub the coins out. Kind of a low cost alternative to Escudo or Dunhill De Luxe Navy Rolls.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (170)

If you like Davidoff Flake Medallions, or even Escudo, this is a great inexpensive bulk alternative. Nice spice of the Perique, a bit of sweetness from the Cavendish. Easy to pack and light, pairs well with a bourbon or Grand Marnier.

Similar Blends: Escudo, Davidoff Flake Medallions.

OldTallMike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OldTallMike (13)

This was my first Non-Aro, and Non-OTC blend-so bear with my review and its possible naivete. Tin (baggie?) note was fantastic, non-chemical subtly sweet and enticing. It is a coin, I tried the fold and stuff for the first time. Got it char, then second lit and really had no trouble after that. Taste was Good. First bowl was a bit harsh and had bite, I was a little disappointed-maybe user error. Second Bowl was much better-First thoughts were Virginia, and smoky but as It took on more of the blend it mellowed and a hint of sweet peeked through. I enjoyed the tobacco taste, and the absence of additives. More "true" of a smoke for me. Overall, again for my initial VaPer I think it was really a solid choice. I will jar the rest of my sample and smoke it from a briar once I have one and see if it is different. To be honest, I'm not sure my Cob is doing it Justice? Cheers

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh/ Bulk

Purchased From: PnC

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (71)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was purchased in bulk form. I can’t bring myself to say that I really like No. 7, but that’s largely because I am not a big fan of Black Cavendish in this proportion--there is a pretty fair amount. I did find some unwanted bitterness and harshness and I believe that it's due to Black Cavendish. There was just enough Virginia and Perique to provide some “real” tobacco flavor, but not enough for me. It's just not a good match for my tastes, but there will undoubtedly be some who will enjoy it.

Pipe Used: Varied Assortment

Similar Blends: The same tobaccos as Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, but these blends smoke quite differently.

michaelc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
michaelc (16)

I am going to say that I like this better than PS LBF. The Virginia is very prominent and sweet while the Perique adds a nice spiciness to the mix. The Cavendish center may add to the sweetness, but I am not really sure I can taste it. It has a darker color than either Escudo or LBF. At first glance I thought that this might have been due to moisture content, but it was ready to smoke upon receipt. I fold and stuff, nothing fancy, about two of the coins and it lights up very easily. It is best smoked slowly. I really do like the spice from the Perique; it is more pronounced than in LBF or Escudo. I have tried most of Comoy's offerings and this is one of my top two favorites from that house. I highly recommend this blend if you want a good reasonably priced VaPer.

Pipe Used: Inexpensive Italian no name Dublin briar

Age When Smoked: new upon reciept

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Escudo, PS LBF.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nicely prepared sliced coins pack and light easily with no need for numerous relights. Smokes cool and evenly without bite. A good all day smoke that is also available in bulk to reduce unit cost.

Pipe Used: various briar bowl sizes

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

Similar Blends: Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (105)

I was at a friends house last night and he opened a tin of Comoy's cask #7 from his cellar. Well with any time two old folks get together who smoke tobacco conversation is going to ensue. It had been a while since I had smoked this as for me it was a very medium smoke. I never liked the added flavor of liquorice taste it left. This tin was about 5 years old from my understanding. It opened with a pop. The smell was nonexistent for me. Slight Va note might have been present. I rubbed out the coins making a nice pile and dropped the buggers in my pipe. It left a oil feel on my fingers that just did not really come off with a Blue Jean rub. It was a two match light to get a nice char. Tamp and relight. Smoke time was about 50 minutes in an average size pipe. Will ambit we sat talked and drank 2 bottles of red wine as we smoked. James raved at all the undertones that this had. I did not get that. To Me It Was Va and Per. That was about all. I did not taste the liquorice taste that I had before. Thank god on that. It burned down to a very fine ash. No here is what it really noticed. The room note was very strong. No bad mind you but strong. You could still smell it several hours after smoke. Smell really lingered in my clothes and pipe as well. As the evening came to a close I was given a tin of the stuff. Well after five years in still might need to settle on 8 or 10.

Pipe Used: Stanwell

Age When Smoked: tin - 5 years

Purchased From: unknown gift from James

Not too impressed with this one. The Virginias are average at best. The Perique is flavorful and spicy, but has a mild harshness. The Cavendish is tasty, but only shows itself on occasion. It can burn hot if your concentration lapses and you smoke too quickly. There are better choices, but this will do if nothing else is available.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. I think I can detect a very mild sweet topping.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain