A broad coin-cut flake, Comoy's

2.7
PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite a nice coin sliced tobacco...Initially, I was put-off on the addition of Black Cavendish at the center of the coil thinking it may add a sweetness that I do not care for. However, I've been pleasantly pleased that I don't get any of that Black Cavendish sweet taste.

The Perique and Virginia work well together and if there is any "sweet taste" it is from the Virginia alone. I believe this tobacco is a solid performer and the more I have smoked it, the better I like it.

Leaving the coin intact, I fold and stuff two coins in a group3/4 size pipe and have had no trouble in keeping it lit. Burns clean, little dottle, and flavor remains throughout the the bowl. A most affordable tobacco from STG.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: Group 3/4 size

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Dottie Warden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dottie Warden (7)

Straight forward. Pleasant. Unremarkable.

Upon opening the tin the aroma is that of straight virginia tobacco. The appearance is broken flake with some coin shaped disks still in tact strewn about. I tend to fully rub out flakes as to bring out the flavor, and with this tobacco I do the same. After 10 minutes or so of dry time it is ready to smoke and delivers enough true virginia tobacco flavor to merit bowl after bowl. This is definitely an all day or any time of the day smoke. I prefer to smoke several small bowls than one large one, to keep the natural sweetness of the top half of the bowl. It may tend to gurgle if smoked too quickly, but as a sipper the bit left at the bottom of the bowl is not overly moist upon finishing. For those that appreciate true virginia tobacco flavor, this product won't let you down. I'll certainly maintain some on hand for those moments when I feel like an uncomplicated, reliable smoke.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was purchased in bulk form. If I had rated this after my first or second pipe it would have earned just 1-star—I just didn’t care for it at all--and that 1-star rating would have been a little unfair. That‘s certainly not to say that I consider this is a 4-star tobacco blend by any stretch, but it does deserve more than 1-star.

I can’t bring myself to say that I really like No. 7, but that’s largely because I am not a big fan of blends that contain this much Black Cavendish. I often discover unwanted bitterness and harshness due to this particular tobacco element and there was some of that here. There was just enough Virginia and Perique to provide some “real” tobacco flavor, but this remains a very mild blend. In my estimation Cask No. 7 may appeal more to the newcomer or those who enjoy these lighter-bodied blends. It's just not a good match for my tastes, but there will undoubtedly be some who will enjoy it.

2-stars.

NOTE: No. 7 smoked better in several of my Stanwells, not quite as well in two Petersons and it was a mixed bag in a couple of Meerschaums. I think that No. 7 smokes best in small-to-medium sized pipes.

Pipe Used: Varied Assortment

Similar Blends: The same tobaccos as Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake, but these blends smoke quite differently.