Comoy's

Strength
None Detected, Mild
Taste
3.2

The word is that this is Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake sporting new clothes and an increase in price. Perhaps so. I don't have any LNF around to do a direct comparison, but this did smoke a lot like my memory of LNF, and I checked my tasting notes which seemed to concur. Same beautiful presentation of nicely cut flakes, same tin nose of dark fruit and hay, same nice bread notes with plummy perique and a top dressing of something that adds sweetness.

Somehow, however, I think this one hit me better. Perhaps it's the cool paintcan tin with the internal "tinfoil" cover. Perhaps it is a different blend. But this one was very, very good - almost a 4 star blend in my book. It was a little sweeter than I like, and by that I mean unnaturally sweet. But the sweetness wasn't overly citrusy, it was more of a mellow sweetness, like the difference between brown over white sugar. A nice toastiness with a hint of hay... kind of a moderately sweetened cereal nature that was very compelling. Burned beautifully, too, and took the match like a champ. Really nothing remotely negative to say in an objective sense. Not terribly complex but a tobacco that's steady on a very good flavor makes for a great blend. While this one might miss greatness by the smallest of margins, it's one I may buy again. More likely, I'll first buy some LNF and do a side-by-side. Well worth an audition for VaPer fans!

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Age When Smoked: About 3 months

This blend sounded good to me in the description on pipesandcigars.com so I ordered two tins, one to try and one to put in my cellar to age a few years. It comes in a nice tin of just under 4 ounces that has an old style snap in top. Once the top is opened, it has a foil seal on it that must be removed. Very nice presentation.

Once opened, it contains loosely pressed flakes with a nice sweet tin note and mostly khaki colored tobacco. I like my flakes rubbed out and allowed to dry in a bowl for a couple of days as most flakes are too moist for me. After having done this, I loaded up the ribbon like rubbed out flake in my pipe and sat back for what looked to be a nice smoke. I was rewarded with a nice sweet smoke with a little touch of spice provided by the added perique to sweet Virginias. It lights very easy with a few light and ramps to get it burning evenly and smooth. The smoke is rich and creamy with a very sweet flavor. It smokes mostly like a straight virginia as the perique is very subtle and in the background. I would have preferred a little more perique in the blend but when smoked as a Virginia flake, it provides a lot of enjoyment.

It smokes nice and slow down the pipe leaving a medium grey ash with very little dottle in the bottom of the bowl. It stays consistent all the way down and the room note is pleasant. This is a very nice blend and one I am enjoying often judging by how fast the tin is emptying. I have no criticism of this blend other than I would have added a little more perique, but in and of itself it is a top notch blend and I highly recommend it.

Pipe Used: briar, corn cob, meers

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

potam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
potam (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I bought this tobacco by bulk. Looks like PS's Luxury Navy Flake and the taste is also close but a little bit less sweetness. I can say this is quality blend,taste good,and no tongue bite. Unfortunately, not the best for me so minus one star.

Pipe Used: many

Age When Smoked: Very new

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye - Luxury Navy Flake.

It's been a while, so I can't add to the idea that this is the same as the Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, but my review for this is pretty much the same: A good solid balanced VaPer. For me, the Perique is evident throughout without being overwhelming and is nicely balanced by the straightforward VAs. The flakes are easy to work with and keep burning well. Those who prefer their tobacco on the sweet side might not care for this, but most others should give it a try.

Pipe Used: briars & cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from the store

Purchased From: smoking pipes

Similar Blends: Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

This is a very pleasant VaPer. The Virginia is on the bright end of the spectrum, and there is a great light citrus note. The perique is a light touch, but it is there and contributes to a great combination of flavors. Exhaling through the nose gives that distinctive perique tickle. I suspect a very light topping enhances the bright Virginia.

It has been too long since I have smoked PS LNF to make a really good comparison. From recollection, the experience is pretty similar. The Comoy flakes are thinner, and I think the smoke is a little smoother.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)

I have really been enjoying my little foray into the world of Comoy blends. I have ordered all of them and have been nothing but pleased with every one I have tried so far.

Cask N0.4 is a beauty of a "navy" flake. We wont get into the debate on what makes a flake a "navy" flake. It seems that the navy moniker can be used to denote a number of characteristics. Either way, this is a great blend.

I too, like other users have heard the rumors that this blend is really Stokkeby's DLF in a spiffy new suit. Not quite sure to be honest, but I am sure about the taste.

This is a very respectable navy flake. While it was not a serious moment of pipe smoking nirvana, it was very enjoyable. The flake comes in a lighter color, and I could tell by the appearance this one would be in the higher frequencies when it comes to Virginias. I could tell this would have that nice lemony hay like citrus zing.

The flavor was very nice and totally unobtrusive. Some blends complexities require your full attention to be appreciated. This one just chugged along while I did different chores and was an excellent companion. Monetary constraints aside, this would make an excellent all day smoke.

The flavor mid bowl became a little deeper and darker than I expected. Definitely nice. I can definitely detect the perique involved in my nose.

I do think there is a light topping here. Maybe maple nor molasses? Not enough to come off as an aromatic but an interesting little twist.

I would definitely recommend this blend. Give it a try.

Age When Smoked: Purchased 2014

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was purchased in bulk form. It is classified as a “simple navy flake”, but many "navy" flakes contain some rum or molasses--this blend doesn't. This is really a bright Virginia flake that has been flavored with a bit of Perique. I can’t bring myself to classify this blend as a “real” VAPER because in my estimation the Perique element is simply too light. That being said, this flake works quite well! It’s easy to smoke, offers a decent amount of flavor and its behavior is quite civil.

This flake is actually very, very close to Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake (LNF), but to my tastes there are some differences (at least in my two samples of tobacco). No. 4 is greener and grassier than LNF and just slightly less sweet, but in fairness, the differences that I taste may be no more than the differences that exist between different batches of tobacco.

In a blind taste test it’s a little difficult to differentiate between the two. But one thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the difference in price—LNF costs about 20-25% less than No. 4, so LNF is the better bargain.

As with LNF, Cask No. 4 earns 3-stars.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph

Similar Blends: Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake.

Pappy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pappy (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Cask 4 Bulk Was a pleasant relaxing smoke that left a slight sweet aftertaste. Very easy to pack and was enjoyable right to the end.

This was the first non-aeromatic that I truly enjoyed and will add it to my rotation.

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Joe Bleau Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joe Bleau (1)

This tobacco is absolutely identical to Peter Stokkeby's Luxury Navy flake. My advice is to buy whichever is cheaper, usually Stokkeby. When MacBaren Navy Flake went up in price I switched to Stokkeby's which is almost the same but very slightly milder.