A naturally sweet red Virginia and burley blend, perfect as an all day smoke as this one doesn't get much more relaxing.

BrandMiddle Earth Tobacco
Blended ByNat Clark
Packaging30g Jar
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
3.7
idbowman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
idbowman (26)

It's a shame Middle Earth Tobacco seems to have gone the way of the dodo. I received a sampler of tins a while back and just now got around to trying them out, this being the first blend I've opened.

In the tin, it looks fantastic - light brown and red ribbons, very uniformly cut, nice and springy, and no sign of stems or chunks anywhere. The aroma was sweet, but in a completely natural way - you know, the way good Virginias and burleys smell when they're allowed to do their own thing without aromatic toppings.

In the pipe, this was straightforward but very pleasing. Sweetness with a little bit of depth from the Virginia, and some earthiness and nutiness from the burley. It burned nice and cool without much effort or attention and didn't leave a sopping mess in the bottom of the pipe. The flavor doesn't really change throughout the bowl, so it isn't a complex blend...but it's so user friendly and inoffensive that this would have made an ideal all-day smoke. It won't blow your socks off, but sometimes you're not looking for that, right?

And to note: the profile for this blend is listed as "aromatic." I can't, for the life of me, figure out why that is.

I wish I'd have cracked this tin earlier and grabbed some for to have on hand before it suddenly became unavailable.

Pipe Used: Various

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (15)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

Got this, to be honest, based on the appealing name. Wasn't disappointed. Apparently, Virginias are my go to tobaccos. Really smooth tasting blend and an easy cut for us amateurs at loading the pipe. Nice and cool burning. Worth a try.

Pipe Used: Peterson Dublin Castle

Age When Smoked: From the Tin

Purchased From: Middle Earth Tobacco

arosrgood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arosrgood (6)

I got a sampler pack from Nat and I have now smoked them all and in my book they all get 4stars! This particular blend is what I would call an "all day" smoke, as the description is dead on and I have already purchased more. The VA's and Burley create a harmony that I rarely find in this type of blend and while there is a bite if puffed too hard, one can easily control this as the tobacco is at perfect moisture level.