From Gregory Pease: "Deep, rich and full flavoured, Gaslight burns very slowly, delivering a lingering, satisfying smoke for the true connoisseur of Latakia based blends. The red virginias present a background of natural sweetness, whilst fine orientals provide just the right amount of spice. I like it best sliced thinly, rubbed out and packed loosely in smaller bowls for a satisfying, surprisingly long-lasting smoke." Easily sliced, easily rubbed out and easily packed.

Notes: This is the 7th blend in the Old London Series

Taste

Former 965 Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Former 965 Fan (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the same way a good hearty red wine was often said to be sunshine in a bottle Gaslight is sunshine in a plug. It tastes vibrant swirling smoothly between citric sour, muted sweet, even more muted bitter and back but deep, soft and smooth, a difficult trick to pull in itself. Definitely guaranteed to drive the winter blues away which is very timely as the night frosts have started here on the English East coast and the days are worse - short, grey and depressing.

Enough of the weather - Gaslight's specifications are more interesting. Tin note is not that marked but pleasant enough - mainly the usual suspects for a latakia blend of creosote, soap, leather but with a hint of rose (just like a lovely climber my late Aunt had but I have forgotten the name). The tobacco comes as two plugs per 2 ounce (57 gram) tins, is quite soft by traditional standards and so is fairly easy to cut to slices (flakes for UK readers) but best with a sharpish blade to avoid crumbling although a bit of early crumble is not too much of a problem anyway. Cutting needs to be across the grain to get the right mix in each pipe but rubbing out the flake is simplicity itself. Say two minutes per plug.

The first pipe does start a bit latakia heavy but evens out over three or four puffs and then its balanced taste all the way (and with subsequent pipes) with changes merging into one another. There are suggestions of essence of orange (liqueur or fine homemade marmalade perhaps), bread, soft muted creosote, coffee, occasionally dark chocolate. More mysteriously there is hints of a taste that I had not thought of for years that I associate with Balkan Sobranie but I could never quite place what it was in the 70s or now. Very cool and slow smoking - about the slowest latakia mixture I have come across in 35 years the nearest being one of the mixtures Dunhill did for JB Priestly but that was stronger and less ebullient in taste. In spite of all this intensity Lady Nicotine is manifest in medium strength so I would guess its in pretty much every smokers "Goldilocks zone" taking into account appropriate deployment of small and large pipes. All in all very tasty indeed! How is all this achieved? I could only guess but if you want to know ask Greg - after all he takes questions in an excellent column in pipes magazine each month (link on GLP's website).

In summary sunshine in a pipe, puts one in mind of Van Gogh's Arles paintings, perfect for winter and who knows about the other seasons at the moment but I would expect it to be at least a sundowner in the hottest summer and probably far more. Recommendation - need you ask? I just hope fellow pipesmokers do not overwhelm the logistics chain by cellaring too much too soon (I must confess to 15 tins so far) as it has all the signs of a brilliant keeper, it is the right type and the tobacco is very fine even by GLP's exalted standards.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (154)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

As advertised this is indeed a rich Latakia cake blend. It has a wow factor. This is not a Latakia dumping ground, but you must like full English to like this "bad boy".

It comes in two bars in a tin, and though you must use a sharp knife to slice the segments, they crumble pretty easy after that (again added by some more small cube cuts). So not as tight or dense as many plugs. More of a "krumble plug."

I mainly taste the Latakia, but it has some extra spice at times (turkish) and definitly that red Virginia (almost cinnamon-like)shows up now and again, depending on how well you mix the cuttings.

I think the Latakia may show up stronger if you don't puff slowly or don't mix the cuttings well for your bowl. Not hard to do.

It is slow burning. I've spend over two weeks smoking small bowls (usually once a day) say like a group 3 size. 35-40+ minutes easy. I have about two bowls left (and a few more tins of it to age or to try next at Christmas, 2013). Yes, I want more. Definitely cool.

It does not compare too much to me to Penzance in flavor (a true crumble cake), which that has more of a Turkist content, but it does compare to it in terms of excellence.

So this is not as poetic as some other reviews because it so good that I don't have to be poetic. I think you see I enjoy Gaslight for what it is. A rich Latakia blend. It does make me want to walk the steets at night (or around a castle if I had one nearby) and blow its scent into the air. But I dare not as my smoldering prize will be abducted by those enchanted by its aroma.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A very smokey, woodsy sweet Cyprian latakia-forward plug that’s easily broken up as you choose. The red Virginias are tangy sweet with some earthiness, dark fruit, and a hint of spice. I get hints of cocoa from something here, and I’m not sure what causes it based on the tin description, unless it's from the Turkish. The Oriental/Turkish offers a nice spice and dry wood hit from start to finish. It’s not your typical lat-bomb because the other components add enough complexity to keep this from being one dimensional. It’s also smoother and creamier than your average lat-bomb, too. Slow burning, and with a slight dry time, will leave very little dottle. Requires some relights. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won't bite, and has no dull or harsh spots.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

2 dark colored brownies pressed together but not so tightly as to be difficult to slice. Tin nose is latakia and some underlying spice that is probably the orientals. Having first screwed up another of Greg's plugs, I was extra careful to slice this against the grain before rubbing and loading. This plug is very easy to work with but a sharp knife is best.

This blend might be referred to as a Latakia Plus blend in that the latakia stayed with me first and foremost and there was never a doubt in my mind that latakia was supposed to be the primary focus. But the flavor shifts subtly and often, away from the typical latakia bombs. This doesn't taste how I recall Abingdon tasting, but it has all the complexity attributes of that earlier GLP blend. Just when it's settling into a groove, it alters suddenly and noticeably, but not jarringly. Flavor runs the usual gamut that latakia blends run but also into dashes of light fruit, coffee, and a hint of dark chocolate. Greg definitely knows how to retain interest and he seems to get the most out of "latakia, Virginia and orientals", as his blends containing those components all taste different and have varying levels of complexity. This one was complex but was never pushy. And the room aroma? Absolute nirvana!

As is my custom, I experimented with Gaslight by breaking off a chunk in my fingers and loading without slicing properly. All I can say is, don't do it. The blend becomes severely unfocused and "dirty" tasting. There's a reason it's in cake form and I found that the expert opinion on how to smoke this was, not surprisingly, the correct one. Overall, this is not my favorite GLP blend but it's worthy of a cellar restock, as it's definitely a winner!

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

hedgehog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hedgehog (8)

Now I've been to two church socials and a county fair, but I have never encountered a tobacco like Gaslight. When I lit up my first bowl, I wondered whether someone hadn't been storing potpourri in my meerschaum earlier in the week. That's how intensely fragrant Gaslight is. This I attribute to the Orientals, but the Orientals alone wouldn't account for the sheer intensity of flavor you encounter. It is as though Mr. Pease has devised a way to fuse together the spice and herbaciousness of Oriental varieties with the leather and tar of the Latakia, producing some spookily concentrated hybrid wholly unlike its constituent parts. While there's nothing overbearing here (the nicotine is moderate, the burn is even, and the virginias serve to temper and balance the mixture), the experience demands something like total concentration, like an organ concert in surround sound. In the tin, the two bars look at first small and unprepossessing, like a Jenny Craig dessert, albeit a bewitchingly perfumed one. Once you smoke Gaslight, however, those ingots take on a mysterious quality, as though someone informed you on good authority that they'd been quarried out of a black hole. If some tobaccos are all-day tobaccos and some are early-morning or after-dinner smokes, then Gaslight is a hold-my-calls, forward-my-mail, look-after-my-kids I'll-call-you-from-the-other- end-of-the-wormhole mixture. Did I mention that it is wonderful? Because man oh man it is.

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (18)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

At least one of the reviews for this seems--ahem--loaded to me. Which is strange, because G.L. Pease is one of the most popular blenders out there and you wouldn't think he'd need any extra help.

That being said, I like this Gaslight stuff. Pease, like most modern pipe tobacco companies, has thousands of blends, with new ones created every week, it seems. For example, C & D (which manufactures this for Pease) recently released their one-millionth blend. It's called Seriously, Guys, This One Tastes Different!

Ok, I'm teasing a bit, but how do these companies keep all their hundreds of offerings straight?

The reason these guys constantly invent new blends is because they know we'll buy them. The modern piper likes trying new tobaccos even more than he does smoking his favorite tobaccos. And so new blends are coming out all the time. Whatever's newest is probably what's selling the best for these guys, so they constantly have to keep thinking up a "newest".

I received a free sample of Gaslight in a recent order and it was good enough to make me buy more. It's a delicious looking brownie of a plug. Beautiful. Tin note is deep and rich with notes of dried fruit. It's not a lat-bomb--the Virginia and oriental/Turkish have a chance to shine, too.

Still, it's not interesting or different enough to merit a re-order. I will enjoy my time with this and move on to something still newer.

LOL.

Or maybe I will do something nuts and order a big ol' batch of my favorite, Presby, and stop fooling around in this over-saturated marketplace once and for all.

Maybe.

I am smoking through a sample a friend gave me. I am on the third bowl in a Savinelli bent pot.

I sliced it as thin as I could with a sharp knife and rubbed it out. The tobacco is dark and fragrant. The flavor is a remarkably good combination of latakia and oriental tobaccos with a solid foundation of dark sweet Virginia.

You are thinking this sounds tasty, but my description does not do it justice. The blend is well balanced. It has a significant oriental signature with an omnipresent latakia there too, and it really satisfies. It is heavy and dark, sweet and spicy, smokey and savory.

I am not by nature a "flavor bomb" kind of guy, and this manages to push the edge for me without crossing it. I am liking this blend a lot and highly recommend it. I may have accidentally matched it with a pipe "made" for it, but I am going to suggest a wide bowl to really bring the flavors out.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This starts with a flavorful blast of Latakia, then fades into a burley forward smoke ( I realize that Burley is not listed, but it sure tastes that way to me). There is some sweetness that continues throughout the bowl, however, my tongue, just doesn't get along with the burley or the burley like properties. I find this blend boring but not of low quality. I think it reminds me of "Jackknife Plug" with an addition of Latakia. Overall , a somewhat old fashioned smoke.

I realize that my review will be greeted with much negativity, but I hope someone will explain what I'm doing wrong while smoking this blend.

Pipe Used: Ozark Maplewood, Cob, Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: JackKnife with Latakia, Captain Earle's Private Stock.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Plug tobacco is a throwback to a time before cappuccinos, before tv, before automobiles even. It was economy of space, easy to stash in a saddle or footlocker. When you earned a rest, you got to work with your hands and tools but this time for your own benefit, so you savored the ritual. I love plugs for the connection to my hard working ancestors who would scoff at ready rubbed flakes as frivolous. The deliberation of preparation is part and parcel of the experience.

I know why it's moist: anaerobic fermentation. The side benefit is that it still goes on in an opened tin. That said, three months in an open tin only improved it, in my opinion. The quiet time spent drying the spread out leaves is not a burden.

Light this with a match, please. Or a flaming twig.

Latakia is the first impression, followed by turkish and oriental. Finally the quartet with the virginias commence and all is right with the world and you are glad you smoke a pipe.

Slow, reflective puffing develops the richness of this blend. A moderately sized bowl is sufficient for an hour of the best pipe of the day. Nicotine cravers will be sated and those of us who are easily affected will find that the pleasure resumes when it is relit later.

There is a regular place for this in my rotation, and I look forward to it every time. Stock up- you won't regret it. This blend is for aging as well as present enjoyment. Many latakia blends don't improve with age; I don't doubt this one will.

Pipe Used: Comoy's prince, cob

Similar Blends: London Mixture.

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (18)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I really wanted to love this tobacco. The scent upon opening the tin was fantastic. Quite natural, with no flavoring to get in the way. Upon lighting, the first few minutes were outstanding. So far, so good. But, in the end, this tobacco really came on too strong (even for me, who usually likes a good, strong blend). There is just something in this blend that really bothered my stomach. I've had this happen before with Jackknife Plug. I'm sure it's just me and many, many smokers will find this a great blend.

Pipe Used: Caminetto

Purchased From: Uhle's Pipe Shop

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (37)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

These little bars are dark in the tin. I wanted to eat them. Also kudos for the cool tin art. Probably my favorite since the Scandal.

This slices pretty easily and crumbles even easier. I chose to do mostly 3/16 slices and rub them out well. As long as I was smoking this size in a broader bowl, it seemed to burn well. I'll probably try thinner slices next tin I crack a tin, which may burn better in bowls of all sizes. A light hand seems to work well here, as in don't pack it down at all. A gravity feed with a little tapping on the side of the pipe for settling seems to do just fine.

The nose is musty and earthy, and at lightup there is a great deal of woody smokiness, but as things progress, it seems to me that the spicier notes start to come out. This is not a latakia bomb, though there is a good deal of latakia here. It's got good balance between smoke and spice. Rumor has it that there is a minuscule percentage of perique in here, too. Pease seems to like to slip a condiment tobacco into blends, as he does with latakia in Laurel Heights and Fillmore. In all cases, I suspect it's more of a notice it if it weren't there sort of thing. Or perhaps it contributes to the somewhat elevated nicotine level, at least compared to others in this style.

It's interesting how latakia can take on a sweetness if it's surrounded by sweeter tobaccos, and a drier, probably more complex character if surrounded by lots of orientals.

That really gets at the crux of it: I'm smoking Quiet Nights now just after finishing a tin of Gaslight, and Quiet Night feels like it has more latakia, but also feels less full, somehow. It's stretched out over a broader frequency band, if you will. Gaslight seems sort of concentrated in the lower parts of the ensemble, with some little bits of spiciness reaching higher up from time to time. It's very oriental-forward, in a way that makes me think of a darker shade of Penzance, though it's been a while since I smoked that.

It burns very, very slowly, so plan ahead if you want to smoke a big bowl of it. In a group 6 size pipe, I smoked for over 2 hours. Group 3 sized pipes were pushing an hour.

And, for what it's worth, the 'stache note is great.

Pipe Used: Many, but smoked especially well from a GBD 1970

Similar Blends: Penzance.

When I heard that Greg Pease’s newest blend was going to be a Latakia cake (or kake if you prefer) type blend, my first thought was how far can you go with that genre? My first thoughts were of Pirate Kake or Ten Russians or some of the other Hermit blends. Maybe he could add some sweetness like found in Plum Pudding, but a heavy Latakia cake has always seemed to have its limits for me. My tin of Gaslight was just under two months old when I cracked it and I knew right away that this was going to be something different. The appearance was similar to other Latakia forward cakes, but the smell was different. It did smell smoky, but not like the usual campfire smell as Gaslight had some tanginess to it too. It kind of reminded me of a smoky BBQ sauce. The cake came apart with ease and right away I could see some larger pieces of the supporting tobaccos. I like tobacco on the dry side so I left it a little chunky to avoid the possibility of it turning to dusk when dried. In the pipe, there is no doubt that this is a Latakia blend, but it is so much more. In searching for the right adjectives, the word “softer” immediately came to mind. This blend IMHO is softer, smoother and more well rounded than the other blends mentioned, (even though I like those blends too). There is a lot of Latakia, but it doesn’t drown out the other tobaccos. There are a lot of flavors here and I find this to be on the more complex side of the spectrum, something that I can’t recall thinking about other Latakia cakes. It may have already been mentioned, but there is an incense quality to this smoke. Gaslight doesn’t get bitter toward the bottom of the bowl, although there are hints of bitter (in a good way) throughout the smoke. I really think that Gaslight will be a great blend to cellar too.

I have never put much stock in the name of a blend, but Gaslight….it’s everything the name implies.

Age When Smoked: 50 days

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

ChapperralTobacconist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChapperralTobacconist (3)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Extra Strong

Gaslight is a newly offered Balkan style plug form tobacco, that is created by means of 200 year old time proven, traditional means resulting in a unique, superior product, which, if smoldered slowly, one may experience the fine complexities of cool, rich incense like flavors that are melded together in a refined, smooth, superior product. This tobacco improves all the way down the bowl. The pressed plug, formed with the addition of heat and steam and pressure, does some wonderful things to the leaf. It first homogenizes the plug, imparts smoothness(converts any remaining starches into natural sugars) and the essential natural oils of the leaf intermingle and marry (speeding up the aging process) and finally the pressure and steam takes out the harshness of component leaves to form a plug with a reduced nicotine delivery. This should age very well in your tobacco cellar. Well Done, Mr. Greg Pease! Please send your comments to ericwhitaker96@gmail.com

Pipe Used: New Savinelli Autograph5 Sandblast

Age When Smoked: 6 weeks

Purchased From: OutwestTobacco.com

Similar Blends: Stands by itself..

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (9)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

A wonderful, balanced English tobacco. Tin aroma and full taste reminds me of burley enough that it seems like theres a tiny bit present (but I'm probably wrong) -- tin aroma is deep and bready, almost with latakia in the background, hint of chocolate to my nose. But this smokes amazing and deep, rewarding, a very different English smoke from many others I know. Most have their differences, but this tastes quite different from anything fairly "typical". Perhaps it's the perfect balance of the latakia, red virginia and orientals… but something sets this blend apart a bit in my experience. Having smoked only something like 10 bowls, it has already become probably one of my top 5 smokes. And, as with all gl pease that I have tried, the quality of the tobacco and lack of chemical casings is obvious. An excellent, full bodied but smooth mixture, worth your try if you enjoy English. One note is beware of tamping or packing too much/tight. This blend really can use some dry time, and even with a light packing, tamping just a little too hard while smoking can make it pack down too tight.

I have to start this review with a short discourse on cigars. Nearly all cigars have what's called a "sweet spot". This is the point where all the various flavors and nuances meld together to create one wonderful flavor. That "sweet spot" may comprise no more than an inch or two of a seven inch cigar, but smokers will dutifully smoke through those inches just to reach it, usually half or three quarters of the way down. It's what they strive for. After a great deal of experimentation a cigar called the NUB was developed to be "sweet spot" from beginning to end. They were mostly successful. Now on to the review. Let me start by saying my favorite blends are English/Balkan blends. In particular those wherein the components meld together to create that "sweet spot" in the bowl, usually at around the 3/4 mark. Imagine my surprise shortly after lighting to realize that the components were already melded into one delicious flavor. How Pease achieved this I can't fathom. This blend is "sweet spot" from beginning to end. It's the NUB of pipe tobaccos. Simply amazing. All the usual notes of an English/Balkan are present; hardwood smoke, sweetness, sourness, saltiness, spiciness. All combined into one great flavor. The only difference between the top of the bowl and bottom was that it gained more depth and richness. This blend is stunningly good. If you don't try it you're cheating yourself.

UPDATE: 12/11/13 Now I see how he did it. This description is from Pease's Stonehenge. "Once blended, the leaf was steamed, hot-pressed into blocks, and aged, to allow the flavors to meld and marry." I've only been around pipe tobaccos for about a year and a half. Still learning.

Pipe Used: MM General, Nording Bent Apple

bojangle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bojangle (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

I cut it in 1mm thick square slices and the rubbed those out and gravity-fed my pipe.

Everything about this blend screams Latakia and, of course, has all the flavours of it.

Smoking this in a little devil anse was Latakia non-stop, all the way. Switching over to a virgin savinelli trevi 320 with it's 1" diameter chamber brought in a multitude of sequential flavours: latakia all the way, then some floral notes added in, then some spicy notes added in, then Latakia all the way, and so on... Latakia was always the base. It's not a harsh latakia, but a smooth, creamy-ish one.

The retro-hale consistently has floral and spice notes.

The nicotine level is medium to strong FOR ME (been smoking cigars and pipe tobacco for 7 months now) and it put me to sleep, so it will be a little strong for a newb.

This is not a regular smoke for me as I prefer a meaty latakia blend as opposed to an earthy latakia blend, which is what Gaslight is.

Summary: Gaslight is a unique, smooth, semi-complex, EARTHY English blend that is reminiscent of my cigar smoking days.

Pipe Used: Savinelli trevi 320

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the tin.

Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

At last I can try this GLPease blend! Greg is my favourite blender, and I seriously think that Caravan, Odyssey, Blackpoint, Abingdon, Maltese Falcon, Lagonda and especially Westminster are absolute masterpieces and at the absolute top as far as Latakia mixtures are concerned.

This one differs... if only for the presentation. Two square blocks, compact but still easy to slice or crumble. Yes, I tried it both sliced against the grain (as suggested) or crumbled.

This is a really powerful tobacco, don't approach it if you don't like Latakia or can't tolerate strength. It probably is the strongest Latakia blend after Nightcap in my experience (though much more tolerable than the clumsy and heavy handed Nightcap of recent years).

Packing is easy, just don't press it too much. It takes fire like a beauty, and smokes regularly from start to finish. Flavour-wise it is very constant and low-maintenance, thanks to its regular combustion and cool smoking qualities.

Big on Latakia, but soooo much different from other GLPease blends. This one tastes much more like some Cornell & Diehl's crumble cakes, and it reminds me a bit of Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend too (but luckily with more elegance). Why is that so? Because of a yeasty/nutty/earthy/cigar-like quality. No Burley or Kentucky are listed among the ingredients... and yet, I would swear there is at least a hint of them... or maybe it's just the processing?

Anyway, it is a very sturdy smoking experience from start to finish. Sturdy in mouthfeel, sturdy in nicotine. Do I like it? Sure I do... but I also feel it's a bit too much for my taste. My benchmarks are Caravan and Westminster, where the Oriental fragrance and subtlety are not drowned by the intensity. Here all "goes to 11", and at times it may be a but too intense. Maybe it will become gentler with time, but on rather fresh tin the Latakia and the earthy notes are overpowering, covering the Orientals and the Virginia sweetness. Still very fun and enjoyable (at least until the nicotine hits, so this might be recommended on a small bowl only), but not the best Greg has ever done. Don't misunderstand me: it's one of his greatest achievements, and he managed to do something different from all of his other blends, a really unique tobacco. But to love it you really have to crave for strong experiences. Me, I still prefer something a little less intense, although I will certainly keep some Gaslight around for occasional enjoyment: it's a great blend, but simply I can't see myself smoking 4 tins of this per months as I do with Greg's other Latakia offerings... just 1 per month will do!

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Ashton, Castello

Purchased From: Dubini, Switzerland

Similar Blends: Bill Bailey's Balkan, Cornell & Diehl's crumble cakes.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (173)

This GLP offering is nicely presented and I found it to be very easy to prepare. The blocks are moist and require some dry time once sliced, but I do enjoy working with pressed tobacco cakes.

At charring light the smoke is delicate and creamy and the tone is full of warmth. There are some wonderfully complex and exotic flavors right from the start, all of which are centered around a semi-sweet round bottom note hinting at a deep roasted espresso-like flavor. The latakia is tempered to the point of being obscured and there's very little of the pine pitch flavor so prominent in most latakia heavy blends. Gaslight is also the very epitome of smooth.

By mid-bowl the flavors build up nicely and an almost overwhelming bright leathery flavor develops. The spiciness that I expect from most GLP mixtures also makes an appearance, and it's probably the most compelling aspect of the blend. The spiciness is somewhat unique and affects my whole palate and not just my tongue. By this point the tobacco flavor is what I would categorize as strong yet enjoyable but with an assertive burnt/bitter quality to it. The flavors are still well balanced and the smoke remains silky smooth.

Past mid-bowl, things fall apart a bit. With a hearty burley-like flavor, bitterness begins to reign leaving my palate feeling quite dry. Perhaps this is the product of some really intense Turkish leaf? Either way, the end bowl flavor is not exactly what I would categorize as desirable and I am hoping this will mellow with age.

Both tobacco flavor and nicotine strength are a firm medium with nicotine pushing medium-strong. I do like this blend, I think it's good. I have socked a few tins away and look forward to seeing how it tastes in the future.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (7)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Well crafted moist tobacco. Great tin note. Benefits from about 20-30 minutes drying time. Right off the initial light you can tell this is a full body English. Great flavor, gets a little bitter towards the end of the bowl especially if puffed too hard. Pack loosely.

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Westminster (Heirloom Collection).

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (134)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Smooth, cool smoking, and complex. Goes great with a cup of Earl Grey tea. The complexity and depth get more profound the further you smoke - without any harshness. Has an earthy, slight floral funkiness that is intoxicating. Great processing/blending. Exhale and retrohale deliver great spice/pepper notes. The dynamic nature of the blending is reminiscent of a perfectly balanced cigar, where wrapper, binding and filler are in perfect harmony. 3/4 packed, medium bowled Savinelli lasted a full hour. Burned clean. Job very well done!

Pipe Used: Savinelli, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin date 24-OCT-2013

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (64)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

After the whole tin I must reject all the stars.This blend has deployed all the raw leaf inside an acrid biting monster.It´s very easy to say excellent for cellaring when you are offering raw,crude stuff.From now on with this bad experience added to some worst ones I say God bye Mr.Pease and CD.

Pipe Used: dunhill size 4

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: other Peese blends.

Autumn joy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Autumn joy (48)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

GL Pease gaslight simply put is an awesome blend. The tin note of this tobacco is a woodsy almost lighter fluid type smell. Now the tobacco is pressed in to two 1oz kakes. The tobacco straight from the tin is a bit on the moist side so I would highly recommend drying this out for a couple of hours. Ok now for the good stuff the tobacco was very easy to light and stayed lit pretty much until ash for me. The smoke of this blend really left me with a creaminess and was very enjoyable. The latakia is not very straight forward in this blend though but you know it is there. I think the orientals do a nice job of keeping the latakia at bay. The virgnias are most likely in my opinion responsible for providing that nice creamy smoke in this blend. Overall just another great blend with full flavor. GL pease does a nice job on their blends. So for all that look elsewhere for blends that meet the ranks of esoterica blends look no further then GL pease. I think GL pease blends may be better then Germaines and esoterica. So with gaslight its the girl next door that I am putting a ring on great stuff will be buying a lot more for the cellar.

Pipe Used: Straight Poker

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (104)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Strong

A stomach turning, mind numbing blast of Nicotine . . . If that's your thing then go for it.

The hyperbole on the label should include "Ignite the Gaslight, you'll be up all night".

This shall be the last tin of anything that I'll ever buy from Greg; heavy handed blending and too much cheap not properly cured leaves. This blend was rushed and it sure shows.

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (12)

this is probably the most balanced latakia blend i have ever tried! after cutting some of the plug and crumbling it in my hand (it crumbles easerly with very little handling), i lit up my pipe and got a very hearty earthy flavour from the latakia and orientals, and the deeper into the bowl i went the more i could taste the sweetness on the VA, though like some before me has said this blend has some hints of burley in its flavours. I really like this rich and flavourfull blend and would strongly reccomend it for everyone who likes a good englishstyle blend!

Pipe Used: Chacom plume 908

Age When Smoked: a month

Purchased From: Mellgrens fine tobacco, sweden

LeftyLazar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeftyLazar (1)

Have heard a lot of this leaf before having finally getting a few tins. I was very much inspired by having had a 15 year old tin of Winter's Tale by Friedman and Pease. Up to this point the very finest tobacco I've ever had. The tin note of Gaslight is to me very intoxicating in a subtle way. The theme of promises to come is what this tobacco is all about. It is indeed like a fine wine. There are a symphony of notes that are soft upon first light and build upon each other as the bowl progresses. I'll vouch for all that other reviewers have said about the flavors and also that there is a nice buttery caramel in there as well. The kicker for me is a certain floral tickle to my taste buds that darts in and out unexpectedly. What wonderful fun. I seem to enjoy this smoke most in my oil cured pipes as they present the flavors more strongly. The last third of the bowl is excellent and puts me in a very nice place. Old Nic is a bit on the strong side for me with this one but only a bit. About 20-30 minutes of drying time makes this a great smoke in my opinion. I can't wait to savor this with some age on it. I would say that as a new blend it's very satisfactory and time will simply make it outstanding. We shall see.

wolfango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wolfango (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I am an old guy who have been smoking pipe for 50 years. I still miss the old British blends such as the real Dunhill and the real Sobranie. Now I found that Gaslight is, as some reviewers noticed,that this "old fashion" style blend is going back to the good old times. Is not similar to the old brands but could well coexisted with them. I it is a very well balanced mixture and it is perfectly tolerable to my sensitive tongue.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Sasieni, Castello, Barling

Age When Smoked: 67

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: None I know.

Dharma Bum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dharma Bum (5)

G. L. Pease Gaslight is serious. It has a taste as dark as its appearance and good aromas that blend perfectly well. It smokes easily and for such a long time! For anyone who likes strong and smoky latakia blends, I would definitely recommend to try this one. It is strong but smooth, it does not lack subtleties at all and the virginias are revealing themselves nicely on the second half of the bowl. It inspires me to try other blends from G. L. Pease because of its high quality. It is not exactly what I'm searching for, but let's be honest and give it the rating it deserves.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (59)

I don't reach for this one very often but when I do I'm always pleasantly surprised. A fantastic sweet & smokey tin note with beautiful plugs inside that slice with ease and rub out into a fine cut mountain of tobacco. The red Virginia is the first thing i taste on the false light. It is sweet and bright. The smokey Latakia is apparent next but it is VERY smooth and marries to the Virginia well as it ages in the plug. The Turkish leaf is woody and mildly spicy. The smoke is very smooth through the nose. Bite free, medium-full in strength and body this is a real winner in the Balkan plug category.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (170)

I want to start with the tin art. Absolutely amazing, and fitting for this tobacco! This tin was opened at 3 months old.

The tin aroma is absolutely intoxicating! It isn't the harsh industrialized aroma that some Latakia cakes have, this was a softer, more subtle aroma of smoky leaf. The sweetness of the Virginia also poked through.

I sliced of a few sections across grain as most recommend. This was still a touch moist, so I let it rest as long as I could stand (probably 5 minutes) Loading seemed fairly easy, and I found this blend will smoke much better in a tall/narrow bowl compared to a squat/wide billiard. Initial lighting shows the Latakia well, but to me not as much as some have claimed. There does seem to be a dark chocolate essence here, it's sweet, and seems to fit in very well. The Virginia's are always noticeable, and their sweet/tanginess are prominent as long as slow, even sips are taken. The Orientals leave the palate with a clean refreshed feeling, and deliver a spiciness and seasoning that balance near perfect to bring this blend together. I gave this blend my full attention each time, but I had found that even if my mind began to wonder off, this still stayed lit. You'd think after a while Greg would run out of new ideas, or blends would start tasting the same. But no, he developed this blend, and created another unique masterpiece. I truly believe this is destined to be a HOF tobacco.

incendio Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incendio (13)
Strong Very Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I will start by recognizing that this is a blend that I will probably have to "meditate on" for some time before I can truly appreciate it. I am very fond of english blends, and particularly latakia-forward ones.

My initial assessment of this is that it is mostly latakia, with negligible contribution by virginias and orientals. What I was expecting was the inverse: a strong base of virginias, lightly seasoned by orientals, and with a healthy dose of latakia.

I am a fan of Ten Russians, so it came as a surprise that this blend seems so monochrome. I think that perhaps it's a question of balance, or lack thereof. I've tried fresh from the tin, dry, drier, lightly rubbed, well rubbed. I just can't seem to escape the impression that I'm smoking pure latakia while fruitlessly grasping for some kind of counterpoint, searching hopelessly for subtleties to contrast the dark spicy leaf.

I may change my opinion if I can muster the resolve to keep at it. As it stands now I am considering that I may occasionally use this blend to season some sweet matured virginas in order to add spice.

Edited 4/7/2016 - After having smoked the whole tin, I believe I have come to a conclusion about this tobacco's place in my 'rotation.' This is the type of blend whose qualities are best discerned after a long (very long) day of eating and drinking, after your palate is ragged, and you don't quite get the same satisfaction from "normal' blends. Something akin to the cocktail that evolves into straight alcohol by evening's end, "because you can't taste it." I might leave a tin around for such exceptional occasions, maybe.

Pipe Used: briar billiards of various sizes

Similar Blends: Imagine Ten Russians but with more Latakia and less of everything else..

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (109)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Gadlight might just be the most confusing English blend in Pease's lines in my experience. The latakia is dominant, but the taste is mild with some additional cocoa aroma. The flavor sometimes appears blank to me. Could not get the complex and deep aspects of this one. I only try the 0.5OZ sample bag that I should get more to appreciate this blend.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A rather unique presentation of a Latakia/Virginia/Orientals blend with the plug style leaf that probably could even be used as chewing tobacco (well, not really, but just going by its looks). Rich and flavorful with just a hint of alcohol - probably the natural fermentation of the leaf. It's a winner, for sure.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (53)

I've only had one bowl, so this isn't a true review, per se. I just want to say that out of all the blends I've enjoyed Gaslight is the first to truly have that "beef jerky" smell out of the tin. I smoked this out of a cheap Rossi I bought that just wasn't working as a Virginia pipe and was blown away. I haven't smoked much Latakia/Oriental blends lately, but Gaslight has let me remember why I enjoy the diversity of flavors pipe tobacco can offer. Once I go through a couple of tins I'll update. As of now I would recommend this blend.

bulletsnbriars Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bulletsnbriars (4)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Latakia blends are love it or hate it for me. Most of them are too weak and mild, they all taste the same and there's just an emptiness on tongue, a sort of hollow smoke feel if that makes sense.

Cue the arrival of Gaslight, G.L. Pease's masterpiece. I decided to try it because I have literally never heard a bad thing about from pipers I trust, everyones just crazy about the stuff. I've found that in pipesmoking at least, it pays to follow the crowd.

Tin note is strong and musty, the "baccy brownies" are perfectly pressed, firm, won't crumble just from small handling. It will take a sharp knife to cut this but unlike most plugs I've dealt with Gaslight is not like cutting a brick, it turns to ribbons very easily. Straight out of the tin it is perfect moisture to smoke, pack it lighter then usual and get ready.

This is some of the best tasting tobacco I've ever had; it is full, there is no hiding the tobacco behind any casing. Youll get every note in here with some slow sipping; but especially the latakia with its amazing full earthiness.

A fantastic experince. I didn't notice much nicotine, but as a warning I have a pretty high tolerance. No gurgle, smoked pretty well all to the bottom. All the hype you've heard about this blend is real, Lat lovers and haters should really give this a shot, this is just good baccy here.

Pipe Used: Peterson Bulldog

Age When Smoked: ~6 months

Similar Blends: Captain Earle's 10 Russians.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (158)
Medium None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

The dark and pungent plugs have a strong smell of Latakia. I prefer to put chunks in my pipe, light it and smoke. A long, cool smoke that is very demanding on the taste buds. Earthy, creosote like flavors assail your palate, creating only one idea...I want some more. Sometimes a nutty, Kentucky like flavor is felt in the smoke and then we are back to a very full bodied Latakia mixture. It's not a "Balkan", the Orientals are not subtle or dominating but a strong English in the vein of Dunhill's Nightcap. A fall and wintertime smoke, that could actually be enjoyed after a hearty lunch as it's all about powerful flavors and not a nicotine bomb.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (147)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Dark plug or kake with some visible lighter leaf. Tin note is typical terpene from the latakia. Smoked alongside its stablemate Pirate Kake, it differs in that virginias take the place of the burley in PK. The result is a lighter, sweeter tobacco that allows the orientals more expression. Still a very Lat forward blend however.

I am not experienced enough to say where in the spectrum of English blends this sits; it is an intriguing combination of a Lat bomb that manages to deliver a multitude of light and subtle aromas. It does go beautifully with a nice strong cup of tea.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Purchased From: Sample via smokingpipes.com

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I actually received a free sample of this tobacco in an order from Smokingpipes.com. I am a newbie smoker and I was leery of English Blends I really dislike their tin notes. I can say this was no different. It has a smokey/perfume/soap smell to me. I cut three 3/32" slices across the grain on the end of the plug, rubbed it out fully and let it dry slightly. My moisture meter said it was at about 11% moisture (I find it a great tool for a newbie pipe smoker). I packed the pipe, made a false light with a light tamp and lit the tobacco. It lit easily and burned well to the bottom of the bowl with a relight at about the 3/4 mark. The flavor is not as smokey/perfume as Lane Ltd. Crown Achievement, it still had the soapy flavor, but it was not as spicy as the Crown Achievement. The corncob lent a bit of sweetness to it as it burned, which was welcomed by me. I can confidently say I still dislike Latakia/English blends (again, a personal preference). I would imagine people that enjoy Latakia/English Blends would enjoy this tobacco, kind of like people that enjoy Lowland Scotch Whiskey-(I do not). It tastes/smokes just like the tin note. If you like the tin note, I'm sure you will enjoy the smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Cob-No Filter-Filter stem

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (54)

All reviews here, spot on to my experience....so my added comments would be: The raw cake again had the rich Latakia smokiness, but long enough a faint fruity (peach?) smell breaks through. Exotic, fragrant flavours. When lit, definite softer Latakia (smokiness).

YouTube Video

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Some reviewers have commented on the similarity among strong Lat blends, hinting at a "saturated" market. Maybe so. Good for us smokers! But I liken the tobacco world to the wine world: the best successes I've had with wine is to find a winery I really like and stick with them, because their particular style will almost always appeal to me.

Same with tobacco. I consider the Pease blends to be so very reliable and consistently good that I have very high confidence in any of Mr. Pease's blends. There are a few - maybe three or four - that I just plain dislike. But considering the number of Pease blends available, that's a very high batting average.

Gaslight is quite similar to many other Pease Lat bombs, but in a good way. This one seems to me one of the most austere, and by that I mean like a dry red wine. Not a lot of sweetness, lots of smoky latakia, but strong, complex, delicious. This tobacco stays more consistent from the top down than many other blends. One reviewer talks about the whole bowl being "the sweet spot." With that I heartily agree.

Smooth and full of flavor, slow burning as promised, relatively easy to prepare with a knife (I actually use scissors, then rub it out), and consistently delicious. Strong enough to stand up to some of my favorite libations, and flavorful enough where I often wish I had a larger bowl.

Pipe Used: Mostly bigger pipes with good capacity.

Bartimeo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bartimeo (4)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Extra Strong

Heard too many good things about Gaslight, inclusive of smokers who have placed it in his top ten. I thought I would love this mix because I love the Latakia. The first thing I found was a strong hand last taste of burley happened completely. My tongue swelled immediately. The note of the can is whiskey and that's your taste when smoked. Has a strong earthy, very specious and rubbery taste. It is rather a puro cigar. To be a mix based Latakia is very high your nicotine. to taste the colors. With this composition I find such lovely tobacco Hearth & Home - Larry's Blend

Pipe Used: Martin, Corncob, Sabinelly

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (42)

this just didn't do it for me. i like latakia in proportion, but this just seemed to heavily bent toward it. i also did not like the cut once rubbed out, it was too chunky for my taste. i went to it with an expectation of something a little bit sweeter than it was, however the virginia did not seem to add in that area. it rates 3 stars for me simply because as i consider it, i must admit that it delivers just as it claims to, it will appeal to many on that bases, i received it as a sample and would never have purchased it based upon it's claims.

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (50)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Love this tobacco. Rich, sweet, dark, smokey, serious. This is for those times you want a steady smoke that is consistent throughout. Comes in a cut plug type format - break off pieces and break those pieces up a little more. Burns nicely. I can feel more nicotine in this blend than some other English blends I smoke. Perfect to smoke on a rainy cloudy afternoon. This is a really well balanced blend.

Pipe Used: Mark twain cob

Age When Smoked: Few months opened

Purchased From: Smoking pipes online

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

Gaslight is a very stout, strong, full bodied plug. It was a little challenging cutting this up to the size I wanted, but a good thin blade solved that problem. This one really was superb after a good meal in the evening time, but if you have a robust constitution then try this anytime. This smelled amazing in the tin...a sweet, smoky aroma...delicious. In the bowl this lit well and burned down with few relights. The smoke was thick and fragrant, perfumed with latakia and Orientals leading the way. This is another winner from GLP. OFWAIHHBTN

CFAF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CFAF (9)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

How to add to what's been said here? For those who like a hearty English/latakia based smoke, this is one of the premiere blends out there. Use a knife, as GLP recommends, and cut it thinly crosswise. (I treated it as a flake with the first brick and it didn't work.) I have smoked it in large bowls (Dunhill sizes 4-ODA), and that's a smoke that last for hours. It's good there, but as many others have commented, this does best in smaller bowls (Dunhill sizes 2-3).

It's a cool latakia smoke with other things going on. (Very cool. As a reference, I am major latakia guy, and this is delightfully cool.) There is a slight sweetness there but not cloying. (I can't sense or write in flowery detail.) I'll assume it's Virginias somewhere in that dark mass of bricks. Definitely an evening smoke.

It's great now, and I've stuffed several tins away for aging. Really great stuff.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Bigdadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bigdadz (34)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

This is a tobacco that is meant to be savored. Perfect for smoking on a still autumn or winters night. Although very full bodied, it is smooth with layers of flavor, leathery, smokey, salty, malty and nutty. like a fine single malt scotch. A must for Latakia lovers.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (64)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This was another half ounce sample I recieved from smokingpipes for buying other things. It came in a small ziplock baggie as a chunk of cake (It's not solid enough to be a plug in my mind) about the size of a large gaming die. I cobbed this bc I don't like to try anything too pungent in a pipe I use for mainly one blend. I was smoking it outdoors, and it was not recieved well by the ladies that were present haha.

It's smells very fragrant, not just the normal smokey leather of the Latakia. But also of perfume almost. Kind of soapy, a bit flowery under the manliness. I'm not sure it has the "essence" in it, it may just be artful blending and aging. It's pretty dark overall in color, so I would say this was left to marry for some time before it was cut. You only want to cut a small amount off at a time, as it rubs up to be decently larger than it starts out. After a bit of time to sit out, it should be fine to smoke. It is a bit oily, so drying was my preferred method along with a slightly looser packing.

It took a bit more fire to get going than I expected, but it did burn pretty well after that. On the charring light it tastes heavily of wood smoke. It does settle in after the first third and has some changing tastes to it. A bit of spicyness, a bit of the sourish oriental taste to it. Also it has a nice earthy quality that comes through here and there. It took a decent amount of fiddling with to keep it burning properly, so keep your tamp handy.

It is probably not for everyone. It is a full English blend and should be treated as such. You may want a wider bowl for it, which I think brings out the flavor a bit more than a small pipe does. It goes well with scotch I can say from experience. I liked it, but I'm not sure I would buy more however. It is probably one to be smoked outdoors depending on your living situation. (Not all of us have a man cave). It is worth trying though if you like fuller English blends that are not overpowering on nicotine. Not sure how they did that actually. I figured this one woul d be a bell ringer for certain from the smell of it.

Pipe Used: MM legend

Purchased From: 1/2 oz sample from smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Pirate kake a bit.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Not Just Another Latakia Bomb (JALB?) There is plenty of flavor at the beginning, starting strong with the spice, and then a few minutes in the smoother influence of the virginias becomes apparent. It also seems difficult to make this burn hot. Maybe it had something to do with how I prepared it, just carving off a chunk of the cake and dropping it into a Jirsa Group 3 pipe, but this smoked really cool even when I was getting a little greedy with it.

The aroma was quite pleasant, although my significant other described as cigar-like - I would not have used the same term. I'm sure it smells different smoking it. Not the kind of room note that would have total strangers asking you what's in the pipe, but not the sort that sends them fleeing either.

Age When Smoked: 2 mos.

Aegis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aegis (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've heard a lot of good things about Gaslight and I was looking forward to trying it. Generally speaking, it's a good English blend with a leathery flavor and touch of spiciness. It also smokes very cool.

On the downside, I was thrown off a little by having to cut and rub the tobacco before packing my pipe. I tried to be mindful of the thickness of the strips and ended up with short and thin strands of tobacco that broke apart easily. The other problem I had was with the amount of ash created. Not surprisingly the ash was very fine and had a tendency to escape the pipe - this goes back to how I cut the tobacco. Also, I had to do a lot of relighting especially to get the bowl going.

If you're an experienced pipe smoker, and have used plug tobacco, you'll enjoy this blend. For someone still trying to find their way with smoking a pipe - like myself - you might have better luck with something else.

Pipe Used: Briar - Prince

Old Nate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old Nate (16)
Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Right in the GL Pease wheelhouse! I primarily gravitate towards Virginia blends but something about Gaslight leaves me warm and fuzzy inside. English blends... This is what Pease was put on earth to do! The smokey character was evident from the start but it had a nice malty sweet component as well, lingering in the background. Don't let that mislead you, this is not a sweet tasting tobacco, you just sense there is sweet red Virginia under all of that velvety rich latakia. I was given a sample of this in an order from smoking pipes.com and liked it son much I had to order some. It has a smell akin to aged leather, fireplace, and old book, and perhaps strong coffee. It is quite pleasing and it seems I get something different every time. Just wonderful!

I like to smoke this one sitting down as it is fairly strong for me. Tried walking the dog with a small bowl of gaslight and I had to battle the swirlies, so, if you're like me... Sit down and take her slow. Room note might be a little strong but no more than any other English. I typically enjoy a quiet night on the deck with a pinch or two of gaslight, so no issues outside. Wherever you partake, the flavors come at you with a nice smokey flavor, and eventually I'm getting charred woody spice that just hits all the right buttons. There also seems to be tastes of espresso lingering on roasted bitterness. To me, this is a strong smoke... Big, earthy, sweetness there but not quite bold enough to pop his head. A beautiful full English blend for sure.

Pipe Used: Briars, Cobs

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (63)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted a 1x1x1-inch cube from a friend. It arrived with a bunch of other English blends, so the smells had sort of melded into one smoky slap across the face. Like walking into a bar as a fight was breaking out and getting caught up in the mess.

After separating the individual blends for a while this one seemed to peak my interest the most because I had never had a plug tobacco before and the smell was more than just smoky Latakia. The description may be (or was) a krumble kake, but it's a plug. It smelled like wood smoke of course but there was some sweetness poking through, so I sliced some off and packed my pipe. No waiting around for it to dry, just as is. It smoked well for me and the tiny slice filled the Pony Express I was using perfectly. To my surprise the wood smoke was not as dominant in the beginning as I would have expected but had some sweetness going on just on par with it. There is a constant of smokiness and spice though the whole smoke. In addition to that constant the flavors tend to go through three well defined stages as I smoke. First is of a cigar flavor, then to a heavy black tea (almost identical to Mississippi River) then at the end the sweetness and vitamin N kicks up a notch.

The only real negative that I could identify was that it gives me a serious case of cotton-mouth and I drink almost four glasses of water while smoking it. Might be unrelated, just thought I'd mention it anyway. The stuff can pack a big-ole vitamin-N kick, but not every time I smoke it. It would also seem that filtering it has no effect at all on the flavor or body.

A wonderful blend and I may very well purchase some of my own to see what cellaring would do to it.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)

On opening the tin, a modest aroma of latakia. First bowl, in a Gr4-sized briar, confirmed suspicion that tobacco [4 weeks since packing] was too moist. Airing of cut/rubbed-out flake yielded a much better, more 'expected' smoke for my fifth pipe - Latakia-aroma and 'taste' noted immediately after pipe established, with gentle spiciness [oriental(s)] building to a pleasing "plateau."

After 5-10 minutes of gentle smoking, the smoothness and coolness of this "english" blend, strong though it is, was apparent. The only other "english" or "balkan" blends currently in my rotation are much rougher, more unbalanced [Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture, GH Sweet English - I've no Dunhill 965 to smoke for reference!! (Although, the 'new' 965 isn't the same as the original)]. An undefined 'taste' was noted about one-third into the bowl - could not place it - perhaps from the Virginias, pleasant, perhaps the 'mysterious' referred to in the publicity. Mme Nicotine asserts a modest presence in the latter stages of a bowl of this pleasing Gaslight blend, and the good, slow-burning characteristic of this blend and 'not-too-tight' packing of a Peterson System 302 returned me a 60 minute session of great satisfaction.

I will finish this first (2oz) tin and probably leave it until mid-winter's day [21st June 2014 - here in Australia!!] to sample another, and update my review. In the meantime, as reviewer "Former 965 Fan" has done, I think it may be appropriate to lay in a modest stock 'for later' so promising is this "young" sample I've tried!!

Adieu to you all!

Pipe Used: Peterson System 302 & 303

Age When Smoked: 4 weeks

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

NavyGuy85 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NavyGuy85 (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Not my favorite English by Pease, but it's certainly well crafted and smooth! Wonderful spice from the Orientals but the latakia can be overpowering at times.

mgvsquared Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mgvsquared (1)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

New smokers beware - this is a Vitamin N blend. I imagine more seasoned smokers might not be too fazed, but I haven't been smoking too long and Gaslight bordered on too strong. Smoky, spicy, and full flavored latakia-forward blend. No detectable sweetness. When I was finished the first bowl, I was dizzy, and I'm writing this fresh from the experience.

The good? No bite. Sliced thinly with a razor-sharp knife, it crumbles extremely easy. Penzance like preparation. A learning experience for me.

Ultimately not my cup of tea, but I will try a few more bowls and edit my review accordingly if I find my experience changes. GL Pease has some great offerings. I would suggest trying some other of his well reviewed blends before venturing into this kind of territory. Enjoyable, but definitely not for everyone.

Pipe Used: Danger P5 Pot - group 3 size

Similar Blends: lat bombs.

pinko Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pinko (43)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Latakia, and a little Turkish that is overwhelmed by Latakia, and no Virginia flavor to speak of. It smells like a campfire. This is the kind of tobacco you load into one of those giant Boswell pipes and take to the leather club, overwhelmingly manly to the point where you wonder if it’s not trying a bit too hard.

Midbowl the Latakia has calmed down a touch, but there’s nothing to replace it. The blend just goes flat. By the end, my exhausted tastebuds can only report an ashy flavor. This is with more than 2 years on the tin, so I don’t know if it’s just gone past its prime already.

I can see the wasted potential here - a little more balanced portion of Turkish, change out the Virginias for some with flavor and character, and it’d be an instant classic. As is, I can only recommend it as an end-of-day smoke for a fatigued tongue that wouldn’t be able to enjoy a more thoughtful mixture.

Sir Swillington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sir Swillington (1)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Latakia with what appears to be cigar leaf.

Gaslight is an interesting one. When I first smoke a blend I tend to really concentrate on the flavours, trying to tease out the different notes as much as I can... before abandoning thought for hedonistic abandon for the rest of the tin.

Here we had the typical latakia smokiness, a little peaty this time, cut with dark fruits, cocoa and a hint of what I can only describe as candied orange. A bit of cinnamon or nutmeg thrown in the mix too. There was a mushroom-earthiness though, that was both atypical to a pipe tobacco blend and familiar at the same time. When I broke a flake apart, I believe discovered this cheeky point of difference; a cigar leaf.

That would probably elucidate the reason behind the preparation instructions, so as to ensure the right amount of cigar leaf per bowlful.

I believe that the addition of cigar leaf explains why this blend can sometimes taste more earthy and harsh than usual, and that very fussiness makes me notch down my overall rating from 4 to 3.5 stars.

Pipe Used: Dedicated Latakia Briar, Workhorse Meer

TSchiraldi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TSchiraldi (5)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

My go to blend. Number one in my rotation! If heaven was a tobacco blend, this would be it! Don't mess this up - you have to slice the plugs, across the grain, then crumble. Do it any other way and you ruin the blend! Strong, full, pungent yet sweet, with spicy Orientals interplaying with the smoky Latakia and sweet, delectable Red Virginia! The flavors change, meld, leave, and return so many times in the course of one bowl, it's almost like smoking 3 or 4 different blends, but at the same time, the base flavor is always there! Difficult to explain, I guess you just have to experience it. Gas Light burns nice and cool. No dottle at the bottom. My favorite evening smoke!

Pipe Used: Various - Best in small bowls.

Age When Smoked: New / Fresh

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Ten Russians, but better!.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I picked up a couple 2oz tins of this around when it was released and thought it smoked fine at the time, but I lost one during a move and only recently found it. It smokes fine now, too. I'm not sure that the unplanned aging did anything for it, but I'm not really a deep cellar kind of pipesmoker.

This is probably the blend that Pease was born to make. I knock a lot of his other blends for being unbalanced but he's clearly in his element with bombs, it's like purposeful unbalance or something. The Lat is obviously the majority of the flavor, but it's built on a good foundation of VA. The sun cured leaf is never too perfumed or overwhelming, although it does sting a touch when I exhale through my nose. I cut slices off the cake and smoke them whole, which makes a bowl last even longer, but if you do that remember that it will expand like Big Gap Filler when you put fire on it.

I rolled my eyes pretty hard when I read the archaic 'whilst' in his description, but we'll just say he's better at blending than writing.

If I was inclined to give four stars to blends that have an overwhelming amount of Latakia in them this would be the blend I would do that for. As is, three stars, and if Big Latakia is your thing you should really have some Gaslight.

Pipe Used: basket pipe

Age When Smoked: late 2013

BrotherBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BrotherBriar (1)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Gaslight is an interesting tobacco in many ways. First, the name is evocative. Being part of GL Pease's Old London series, you know what is coming. Traditional style tobacco with no flavoring or tricks. Just the way they would've been made in England in the "golden age" of pipe smoking. Second, the tin art is amazing. It fits the blend's overall concept. Before I tried it the name and the tin art are what drew me to the blend to purchase it.

Third, the presentation is fantastic. Tobacco "brownies" with rich medium and dark brown tobaccos that provide a completely unique experience. Just the fact that you have to slice it and rub it out provides a level of investment in the smoking experience from the first moment you open the tin that you don't get with other ready-rubbed tobaccos, or even most flakes for that matter.

Fourth, the flavor of the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the bowl. Gaslight is definitely focused on the Latakia and, to a lesser extent, the red Virginias. The blend contains Orientials and Perique as well, but they are much more subdued compared to the other two tobaccos. I can taste them coming into the mix and then receding just a quickly. Every once in a while I get the cool "menthol-like" sensation on my tongue that I get all the time from Esoterica's Penzance. Don't take that the wrong way, Gaslight tastes nothing like Penzance and is not a substitute for it in any way. They both have their own things going on and some will like one better while others will like the other.

The Latakia is the focus here, and the red Virginias supply the support. The retrohale is flavorful and rich, with a slight tingle of Perique/Red Virgina spice. Overall it is a dark experience, not too similar to Dunhill's Nightcap in flavor, but similar in feel and form in some way.

Unfortunately, this is where my love affair with Gaslight ends. To me, it just falls off rather quickly at the half way point, becoming flat, one dimensional and slightly acrid. As great as the first half of the bowl is, the second half is equally disappointing. The retro-hale becomes hot and burns my nose slightly. All of the deep, dark, rich tobacco aromas disappear and an overall taste of ash remains. I don't mean to sound too dramatic. It isn't horribly unbearable, and it is still smokable, it just completely loses the magic of the first half of the bowl and becomes an average straight tobacco more akin to a cigarette than a good pipe. But, oh, that first half of the bowl!

Fortunately, the first 4 points outweigh the last one for me. Between the presentation, aroma, and that magical first half of the bowl, it keeps me coming back again and again. Every time I hope that the second half of the bowl will be better than last time and Gaslight will become a truly 4-star blend for me. It hasn't happened yet, but maybe in the right pipe, on the right night it will. Take this review with a grain of salt. These are only my preferences and the experience might be different for you. I definitely recommend giving Gaslight a try! For me it's really a 2.5.

Pipe Used: Castello Sea Rock #17

Age When Smoked: New-6 months

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (104)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Woah!! This stuff is strong, bold, and very flavorful. I would say it's a Lat bomb, but all the tobaccos have the same level of flavor potency of the others. The flavor is rich and the smoke is creamy and lasting. I found, even after rubbing out the dark bricks into fine ribbons, difficult to keep lit. Probably needs more drying time than you would anticipate. The tin smells like some type of gas ('gaslight' indeed)...it is strong earthy, leather, and smokey richness. The smoke is actually quite fragrant and almost has a floral note...in fact, yeah...a bit of floral. The turkish takes it's turn and you you get tobacco and leather. The virginia's peak in for some tangy richness, with just a hint of sweetness. Then the orientals and latakia play together to bring out the floral smokey incense quality of the smoke. The room note is actually more pleasant than one would expect from such a dense and dark smoke. Quite an impressive smoke, but might be a much for my taste at this time. I'll save the rest of my last brick...let it age and see how it fares. Still it's a high quality tobacco!

Pipe Used: Bent Billard, Dublin, Egg, Acorn, Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: aged 1 year and 2 years and a few times inbetween

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Star of the East Flake.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)

Two things. 1. It's obvious this is a quality English tobacco with premium leaf. 2. This blend was no doubt created to age.

The logistics. Under the lid of Gaslight there are two small rectangular cubes of pressed tobacco cakes. I left one and broke the other one up for quick access.

The tobacco is dark and rich and has a great English style aroma, not musky but not sweet either the cubes are a bit damp. The aroma of Gaslight is unique to it's own. This is a heavy English with a nice nicotine punch and I would not recommend it for an early pipe smoker.

The tobacco is not sweet and never could be classified as such in all the bowls I smoked. The aroma is decent the smoke is rich but something is lacking in this blend and it must be the sweetness. I was hoping it would be a tad bit sweeter and I think it would make it complete. May the proper amount of age will mature it to it's proper profile. Until then I will somewhat recommend it.

REVIEW UPDATE 8/5/15. I'm almost finished this tin of Gas Light. I've throughly enjoyed it. I also learned how to best prepare and smoke it. Gas Light works better if you shave it into thin layers then rub the layers out into a shag. Then smoke it in a smaller bowl. MAGIC. The preparation of this blend makes a difference. This is a wonderful full bodied English blend and I'm adding one more star.

Age When Smoked: Only two months out of the tin!

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.

Similar Blends: Kaywoodie Bulldog. Kaywoodie Super Grain. A capital half bent.

Renar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Renar (9)
Medium Medium Full Very Pleasant

Not much to say. It is best Balkan style blend of modern days. Period. It is best tobacco in the world for me. Period. All the rest could be talking about flavor and details but it's not really necessary. Gaslight just damn good.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (110)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Wow! Big Bold and Beautiful. My only gripe is it needs to be dried quite a bit or your forever lighting it. Really nice full bodied smoke though with plenty of nicotine. I wont be throwing my tins of Penzance in the bin just yet but this certainly rivals that blend and is stronger. Greg's last 4 or 5 releases have all been really great.

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (76)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

------Update 30 Nov 2015. I opened a 2 YO 2oz tin recently. This is it, for me, the Latakia blend that I was seeking with Penzance (which has deeply disappointed me). There's no bite with the aged leaf and the taste is as awesome, and more, with the aged leaf. This is now a favorite and I will buy regularly for sure. I'm upgrading it to 4 stars------Original review 4 Oct 2014----I usually wait some months before I smoke any GL Pease or C & D tobaccos. But as I received a sample with my last tobacco order, I decided not to wait as the tobacco would dry out. The first thing that stricked me from Gaslight was the rich and extremely pleasant aroma of the tobacco. I must say this Latakia plug smells like nothing I have smelled before. It slices easily with a good knife and is very easy to prepare to one's liking. GL Pease and C & D's plugs are much easier to handle than those offered by other manufacturers (I'm thinking, mostly, about Peterson's 3P). I fully broke up the slices and packed the pipe. Lighting up took some time and keeping it lit proved a bit challenging at first, but things eventually settled for a nice, rich and tasty smoke. The latakia is dominant but let some room for the Orientals and, occasionally, for the Virginias. I find the nicotine content a bit high for a LA/OR/VA and wonder if there is not some DFK in Gaslight. Not very complex, the taste is surely like no other blends of this type. It burned slowy without major issue and smoked dry despite being a very dark tobacco. I am glad I have a few tins in my cellar and will be looking forward to opening a full tin in the near future.

A downside is that it tends to bite; but I am putting it on the account of the fact that the leaf is still young and that I was puffing too quickly (because of its awesome taste). When I open one of my tins in a year from now or so, I believe this will become a 4 Star rating. Recommended.

Pipe Used: Luciano; Stanwell; Dunhill

Purchased From: 1/2 sample

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (78)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

A while back I bought seventeen tins from an Ebay seller as a single lot and this tin was in that group. I sorted-out the tins to keep, including this one. After a couple of weeks I decided to pop it and find out what this blend was about. What I found was two bars of tobacco - very dark in color, very moist to the touch, very fragrant in a latakia/oriental kind of way and somewhat oily. This tobacco was way too moist to smoke straight away, so I let it air out for four or five days before smoking. Even after all of this airing-out, it was somewhat difficult to rub out and my fingers were stained dark and slippery when finished. I found this somewhat strange.

Upon lighting-up I was relieved to find that it smoked straight forward with a moderately heavy latakia/oriental character but very fragrantly - not perfumey, just fragrant. After three or four bowls I was satisfied that I understood this blend and put it in my micoblending lineup. Then I learned something about it. Gaslight is quite dense and I had to be careful not to overuse it in blending or it flavored the microblend too much. When it was about three-fourths consumed, I began to detect a change in it's tin aroma - a slightly rancid odor had crept into the fragrance. I attribute this to some compound used in it's preparation. All-in-all, not a bad English blend; just a strange one and not one that I will pursue or hoard.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars 4-square dublin

Age When Smoked: 1 yr old

Purchased From: ebay seller

Similar Blends: nothing I can remember, exactly..

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)

I believe that Mr. Pease is a wizard.

From the tin art, to the inside packaging, to the sublime fragrance that greets you as you peel back the inside wrapping, to the kakes that look so inviting, and of course all the way to the smoke: Gaslight is a pipe smoker's dream.

I suspect that anyone trying Gaslight as their first pipe smoke might never smoke a pipe again. Or at least not Gaslight - and that would mean there would just be more for me. And though the reviews here are nearly all stellar, I know a number of people who just do not like the stuff. I think that any Latakia-forward tobacco can be a love it or leave it proposition. But here's the thing: I don't think Gaslight cares.

It's a no-nonesense Latakia-forward blend that hits all the right notes: no bite, smokes cool, great tin note, amazing smoke flavor, great smoke fragrance - it really has it all. I'm not a huge fan of Orientals as they tend to bite; yet I find that these Orientals take a back seat to the Latakia which drives and the Virginias that ride shotgun. But the Orientals add just the right zing on the back end.

The tobacco starts out a medium strength and flavor. I do find as I near the bottom third of the bowl that it darkens a bit - not necessarily stronger, but a deeper flavor, with the Orientals fading and the Latakia/Virginias becoming more pronounced.

This is not necessarily an easy tobacco to light and keep lit. I've found that I prefer to slice a reasonably thin slice from the kake, and fully rub out the tobacco. And I mean fully rub it out. Then I let it dry for around 30 minutes. I pack the bowl very loosely. If you pack a tight bowl with chunks you'll be smoking that same bowl two years from now.

This is a tobacco that is best smoked slowly. It's no big deal if you have to relight it a few times. It is the quintessential evening smoke - which I enjoy any time of day.

Age When Smoked: Several months

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I won't say much because a friend gave me a small sample and that is it. But I really liked it. I found the taste very similar to SG Navy flake. Just not at the end of the bowl. There it becomes slightly different.

Edit: I had a chance to taste this blend throughly so I will add a few remarks. This is a really significant tobacco. However it depends highly on how dry you smoke it, and how you cut it. I got a tin as a gift recently and when I opened it, the tobacco was quite wet. I smoked about two bowls and I began to think, "why did I like this one before?" But not before long, experience "kicked in", and I decided to cut the tobacco instead of rubbing it, and I let it throughly dry, before I smoke it. Ahhh...A very tasty tobacco, curiously with the hint of a taste of really quality butter. Try it, if you havent already. One of the very interesting ones indeed...

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Navy Flake (kind of).