On a misty, moonless night, along twisted cobblestone lanes illuminated only by the glow of ancient iron lanterns, you follow a scent as dark as the night itself, the exotic fragrance hauntingly familiar, compelling, irresistible. Open the tin. Discover the mystery.

Notes: From GL Pease: Gaslight is a rich Latakia mixture, structured with layers of mature red virginias and spiced with orientals. It's pressed and aged in cakes, then cut into one ounce bars of about 1" x 1" x 2".

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste

Former 965 Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Former 965 Fan (7)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

In the same way a good hearty red wine was often said to be sunshine in a bottle Gaslight is sunshine in a plug. It tastes vibrant swirling smoothly between citric sour, muted sweet, even more muted bitter and back but deep, soft and smooth, a difficult trick to pull in itself. Definitely guaranteed to drive the winter blues away which is very timely as the night frosts have started here on the English East coast and the days are worse - short, grey and depressing.

Enough of the weather - Gaslight's specifications are more interesting. Tin note is not that marked but pleasant enough - mainly the usual suspects for a latakia blend of creosote, soap, leather but with a hint of rose (just like a lovely climber my late Aunt had but I have forgotten the name). The tobacco comes as two plugs per 2 ounce (57 gram) tins, is quite soft by traditional standards and so is fairly easy to cut to slices (flakes for UK readers) but best with a sharpish blade to avoid crumbling although a bit of early crumble is not too much of a problem anyway. Cutting needs to be across the grain to get the right mix in each pipe but rubbing out the flake is simplicity itself. Say two minutes per plug.

The first pipe does start a bit latakia heavy but evens out over three or four puffs and then its balanced taste all the way (and with subsequent pipes) with changes merging into one another. There are suggestions of essence of orange (liqueur or fine homemade marmalade perhaps), bread, soft muted creosote, coffee, occasionally dark chocolate. More mysteriously there is hints of a taste that I had not thought of for years that I associate with Balkan Sobranie but I could never quite place what it was in the 70s or now. Very cool and slow smoking - about the slowest latakia mixture I have come across in 35 years the nearest being one of the mixtures Dunhill did for JB Priestly but that was stronger and less ebullient in taste. In spite of all this intensity Lady Nicotine is manifest in medium strength so I would guess its in pretty much every smokers "Goldilocks zone" taking into account appropriate deployment of small and large pipes. All in all very tasty indeed! How is all this achieved? I could only guess but if you want to know ask Greg - after all he takes questions in an excellent column in pipes magazine each month (link on GLP's website).

In summary sunshine in a pipe, puts one in mind of Van Gogh's Arles paintings, perfect for winter and who knows about the other seasons at the moment but I would expect it to be at least a sundowner in the hottest summer and probably far more. Recommendation - need you ask? I just hope fellow pipesmokers do not overwhelm the logistics chain by cellaring too much too soon (I must confess to 15 tins so far) as it has all the signs of a brilliant keeper, it is the right type and the tobacco is very fine even by GLP's exalted standards.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

As advertised this is indeed a rich Latakia cake blend. It has a wow factor. This is not a Latakia dumping ground, but you must like full English to like this "bad boy".

It comes in two bars in a tin, and though you must use a sharp knife to slice the segments, they crumble pretty easy after that (again added by some more small cube cuts). So not as tight or dense as many plugs. More of a "krumble plug."

I mainly taste the Latakia, but it has some extra spice at times (turkish) and definitly that red Virginia (almost cinnamon-like)shows up now and again, depending on how well you mix the cuttings.

I think the Latakia may show up stronger if you don't puff slowly or don't mix the cuttings well for your bowl. Not hard to do.

It is slow burning. I've spend over two weeks smoking small bowls (usually once a day) say like a group 3 size. 35-40+ minutes easy. I have about two bowls left (and a few more tins of it to age or to try next at Christmas, 2013). Yes, I want more. Definitely cool.

It does not compare too much to me to Penzance in flavor (a true crumble cake), which that has more of a Turkist content, but it does compare to it in terms of excellence.

So this is not as poetic as some other reviews because it so good that I don't have to be poetic. I think you see I enjoy Gaslight for what it is. A rich Latakia blend. It does make me want to walk the steets at night (or around a castle if I had one nearby) and blow its scent into the air. But I dare not as my smoldering prize will be abducted by those enchanted by its aroma.

hedgehog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hedgehog (1)

Now I've been to two church socials and a county fair, but I have never encountered a tobacco like Gaslight. When I lit up my first bowl, I wondered whether someone hadn't been storing potpourri in my meerschaum earlier in the week. That's how intensely fragrant Gaslight is. This I attribute to the Orientals, but the Orientals alone wouldn't account for the sheer intensity of flavor you encounter. It is as though Mr. Pease has devised a way to fuse together the spice and herbaciousness of Oriental varieties with the leather and tar of the Latakia, producing some spookily concentrated hybrid wholly unlike its constituent parts. While there's nothing overbearing here (the nicotine is moderate, the burn is even, and the virginias serve to temper and balance the mixture), the experience demands something like total concentration, like an organ concert in surround sound. In the tin, the two bars look at first small and unprepossessing, like a Jenny Craig dessert, albeit a bewitchingly perfumed one. Once you smoke Gaslight, however, those ingots take on a mysterious quality, as though someone informed you on good authority that they'd been quarried out of a black hole. If some tobaccos are all-day tobaccos and some are early-morning or after-dinner smokes, then Gaslight is a hold-my-calls, forward-my-mail, look-after-my-kids I'll-call-you-from-the-other- end-of-the-wormhole mixture. Did I mention that it is wonderful? Because man oh man it is.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

2 dark colored brownies pressed together but not so tightly as to be difficult to slice. Tin nose is latakia and some underlying spice that is probably the orientals. Having first screwed up another of Greg's plugs, I was extra careful to slice this against the grain before rubbing and loading. This plug is very easy to work with but a sharp knife is best.

This blend might be referred to as a Latakia Plus blend in that the latakia stayed with me first and foremost and there was never a doubt in my mind that latakia was supposed to be the primary focus. But the flavor shifts subtly and often, away from the typical latakia bombs. This doesn't taste how I recall Abingdon tasting, but it has all the complexity attributes of that earlier GLP blend. Just when it's settling into a groove, it alters suddenly and noticeably, but not jarringly. Flavor runs the usual gamut that latakia blends run but also into dashes of light fruit, coffee, and a hint of dark chocolate. Greg definitely knows how to retain interest and he seems to get the most out of "latakia, Virginia and orientals", as his blends containing those components all taste different and have varying levels of complexity. This one was complex but was never pushy. And the room aroma? Absolute nirvana!

As is my custom, I experimented with Gaslight by breaking off a chunk in my fingers and loading without slicing properly. All I can say is, don't do it. The blend becomes severely unfocused and "dirty" tasting. There's a reason it's in cake form and I found that the expert opinion on how to smoke this was, not surprisingly, the correct one. Overall, this is not my favorite GLP blend but it's worthy of a cellar restock, as it's definitely a winner!

Pipe Used: meerschaum and morta

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This starts with a flavorful blast of Latakia, then fades into a burley forward smoke ( I realize that Burley is not listed, but it sure tastes that way to me). There is some sweetness that continues throughout the bowl, however, my tongue, just doesn't get along with the burley or the burley like properties. I find this blend boring but not of low quality. I think it reminds me of "Jackknife Plug" with an addition of Latakia. Overall , a somewhat old fashioned smoke.

I realize that my review will be greeted with much negativity, but I hope someone will explain what I'm doing wrong while smoking this blend.

Pipe Used: Ozark Maplewood, Cob, Briar

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: JackKnife with Latakia, Captain Earle's Private Stock.

Eric Cioe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eric Cioe (24)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

These little bars are dark in the tin. I wanted to eat them. Also kudos for the cool tin art. Probably my favorite since the Scandal.

This slices pretty easily and crumbles even easier. I chose to do mostly 3/16 slices and rub them out well. As long as I was smoking this size in a broader bowl, it seemed to burn well. I'll probably try thinner slices next tin I crack a tin, which may burn better in bowls of all sizes. A light hand seems to work well here, as in don't pack it down at all. A gravity feed with a little tapping on the side of the pipe for settling seems to do just fine.

The nose is musty and earthy, and at lightup there is a great deal of woody smokiness, but as things progress, it seems to me that the spicier notes start to come out. This is not a latakia bomb, though there is a good deal of latakia here. It's got good balance between smoke and spice. Rumor has it that there is a minuscule percentage of perique in here, too. Pease seems to like to slip a condiment tobacco into blends, as he does with latakia in Laurel Heights and Fillmore. In all cases, I suspect it's more of a notice it if it weren't there sort of thing. Or perhaps it contributes to the somewhat elevated nicotine level, at least compared to others in this style.

It's interesting how latakia can take on a sweetness if it's surrounded by sweeter tobaccos, and a drier, probably more complex character if surrounded by lots of orientals.

That really gets at the crux of it: I'm smoking Quiet Nights now just after finishing a tin of Gaslight, and Quiet Night feels like it has more latakia, but also feels less full, somehow. It's stretched out over a broader frequency band, if you will. Gaslight seems sort of concentrated in the lower parts of the ensemble, with some little bits of spiciness reaching higher up from time to time. It's very oriental-forward, in a way that makes me think of a darker shade of Penzance, though it's been a while since I smoked that.

It burns very, very slowly, so plan ahead if you want to smoke a big bowl of it. In a group 6 size pipe, I smoked for over 2 hours. Group 3 sized pipes were pushing an hour.

And, for what it's worth, the 'stache note is great.

Pipe Used: Many, but smoked especially well from a GBD 1970

Similar Blends: Penzance.

ChapperralTobacconist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChapperralTobacconist (3)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Extra Strong

Gaslight is a newly offered Balkan style plug form tobacco, that is created by means of 200 year old time proven, traditional means resulting in a unique, superior product, which, if smoldered slowly, one may experience the fine complexities of cool, rich incense like flavors that are melded together in a refined, smooth, superior product. This tobacco improves all the way down the bowl. The pressed plug, formed with the addition of heat and steam and pressure, does some wonderful things to the leaf. It first homogenizes the plug, imparts smoothness(converts any remaining starches into natural sugars) and the essential natural oils of the leaf intermingle and marry (speeding up the aging process) and finally the pressure and steam takes out the harshness of component leaves to form a plug with a reduced nicotine delivery. This should age very well in your tobacco cellar. Well Done, Mr. Greg Pease! Please send your comments to ericwhitaker96@gmail.com

Pipe Used: New Savinelli Autograph5 Sandblast

Age When Smoked: 6 weeks

Purchased From: OutwestTobacco.com

Similar Blends: Stands by itself..

I am smoking through a sample a friend gave me. I am on the third bowl in a Savinelli bent pot.

I sliced it as thin as I could with a sharp knife and rubbed it out. The tobacco is dark and fragrant. The flavor is a remarkably good combination of latakia and oriental tobaccos with a solid foundation of dark sweet Virginia.

You are thinking this sounds tasty, but my description does not do it justice. The blend is well balanced. It has a significant oriental signature with an omnipresent latakia there too, and it really satisfies. It is heavy and dark, sweet and spicy, smokey and savory.

I am not by nature a "flavor bomb" kind of guy, and this manages to push the edge for me without crossing it. I am liking this blend a lot and highly recommend it. I may have accidentally matched it with a pipe "made" for it, but I am going to suggest a wide bowl to really bring the flavors out.

Gus Evening Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gus Evening (6)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Well crafted moist tobacco. Great tin note. Benefits from about 20-30 minutes drying time. Right off the initial light you can tell this is a full body English. Great flavor, gets a little bitter towards the end of the bowl especially if puffed too hard. Pack loosely.

Similar Blends: G. L. Pease - Westminster (Heirloom Collection).

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

A very smokey, woodsy latakia-forward plug that’s easily broken up as you choose. The red Virginias are tangy sweet with some earthiness, and minor dark fruit notes. I get hints of cocoa from something here, and I’m not sure what causes it based on the tin description. The Oriental/Turkish offers a nice spice hit from start to finish. It’s not your typical lat-bomb because the other components add enough complexity to keep this from being one dimensional. It’s also smoother and creamier than your average lat-bomb, too. Slow burning, and with a slight dry time, will leave very little dottle.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Plug tobacco is a throwback to a time before cappuccinos, before tv, before automobiles even. It was economy of space, easy to stash in a saddle or footlocker. When you earned a rest, you got to work with your hands and tools but this time for your own benefit, so you savored the ritual. I love plugs for the connection to my hard working ancestors who would scoff at ready rubbed flakes as frivolous. The deliberation of preparation is part and parcel of the experience.

I know why it's moist: anaerobic fermentation. The side benefit is that it still goes on in an opened tin. That said, three months in an open tin only improved it, in my opinion. The quiet time spent drying the spread out leaves is not a burden.

Light this with a match, please. Or a flaming twig.

Latakia is the first impression, followed by turkish and oriental. Finally the quartet with the virginias commence and all is right with the world and you are glad you smoke a pipe.

Slow, reflective puffing develops the richness of this blend. A moderately sized bowl is sufficient for an hour of the best pipe of the day. Nicotine cravers will be sated and those of us who are easily affected will find that the pleasure resumes when it is relit later.

There is a regular place for this in my rotation, and I look forward to it every time. Stock up- you won't regret it. This blend is for aging as well as present enjoyment. Many latakia blends don't improve with age; I don't doubt this one will.

Pipe Used: Comoy's prince, cob

Similar Blends: London Mixture.

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (8)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

A wonderful, balanced English tobacco. Tin aroma and full taste reminds me of burley enough that it seems like theres a tiny bit present (but I'm probably wrong) -- tin aroma is deep and bready, almost with latakia in the background, hint of chocolate to my nose. But this smokes amazing and deep, rewarding, a very different English smoke from many others I know. Most have their differences, but this tastes quite different from anything fairly "typical". Perhaps it's the perfect balance of the latakia, red virginia and orientals… but something sets this blend apart a bit in my experience. Having smoked only something like 10 bowls, it has already become probably one of my top 5 smokes. And, as with all gl pease that I have tried, the quality of the tobacco and lack of chemical casings is obvious. An excellent, full bodied but smooth mixture, worth your try if you enjoy English. One note is beware of tamping or packing too much/tight. This blend really can use some dry time, and even with a light packing, tamping just a little too hard while smoking can make it pack down too tight.

When I heard that Greg Pease’s newest blend was going to be a Latakia cake (or kake if you prefer) type blend, my first thought was how far can you go with that genre? My first thoughts were of Pirate Kake or Ten Russians or some of the other Hermit blends. Maybe he could add some sweetness like found in Plum Pudding, but a heavy Latakia cake has always seemed to have its limits for me. My tin of Gaslight was just under two months old when I cracked it and I knew right away that this was going to be something different. The appearance was similar to other Latakia forward cakes, but the smell was different. It did smell smoky, but not like the usual campfire smell as Gaslight had some tanginess to it too. It kind of reminded me of a smoky BBQ sauce. The cake came apart with ease and right away I could see some larger pieces of the supporting tobaccos. I like tobacco on the dry side so I left it a little chunky to avoid the possibility of it turning to dusk when dried. In the pipe, there is no doubt that this is a Latakia blend, but it is so much more. In searching for the right adjectives, the word “softer” immediately came to mind. This blend IMHO is softer, smoother and more well rounded than the other blends mentioned, (even though I like those blends too). There is a lot of Latakia, but it doesn’t drown out the other tobaccos. There are a lot of flavors here and I find this to be on the more complex side of the spectrum, something that I can’t recall thinking about other Latakia cakes. It may have already been mentioned, but there is an incense quality to this smoke. Gaslight doesn’t get bitter toward the bottom of the bowl, although there are hints of bitter (in a good way) throughout the smoke. I really think that Gaslight will be a great blend to cellar too.

I have never put much stock in the name of a blend, but Gaslight….it’s everything the name implies.

Age When Smoked: 50 days

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

I have to start this review with a short discourse on cigars. Nearly all cigars have what's called a "sweet spot". This is the point where all the various flavors and nuances meld together to create one wonderful flavor. That "sweet spot" may comprise no more than an inch or two of a seven inch cigar, but smokers will dutifully smoke through those inches just to reach it, usually half or three quarters of the way down. It's what they strive for. After a great deal of experimentation a cigar called the NUB was developed to be "sweet spot" from beginning to end. They were mostly successful. Now on to the review. Let me start by saying my favorite blends are English/Balkan blends. In particular those wherein the components meld together to create that "sweet spot" in the bowl, usually at around the 3/4 mark. Imagine my surprise shortly after lighting to realize that the components were already melded into one delicious flavor. How Pease achieved this I can't fathom. This blend is "sweet spot" from beginning to end. It's the NUB of pipe tobaccos. Simply amazing. All the usual notes of an English/Balkan are present; hardwood smoke, sweetness, sourness, saltiness, spiciness. All combined into one great flavor. The only difference between the top of the bowl and bottom was that it gained more depth and richness. This blend is stunningly good. If you don't try it you're cheating yourself.

UPDATE: 12/11/13 Now I see how he did it. This description is from Pease's Stonehenge. "Once blended, the leaf was steamed, hot-pressed into blocks, and aged, to allow the flavors to meld and marry." I've only been around pipe tobaccos for about a year and a half. Still learning.

Pipe Used: MM General, Nording Bent Apple

LeftyLazar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeftyLazar (1)

Have heard a lot of this leaf before having finally getting a few tins. I was very much inspired by having had a 15 year old tin of Winter's Tale by Friedman and Pease. Up to this point the very finest tobacco I've ever had. The tin note of Gaslight is to me very intoxicating in a subtle way. The theme of promises to come is what this tobacco is all about. It is indeed like a fine wine. There are a symphony of notes that are soft upon first light and build upon each other as the bowl progresses. I'll vouch for all that other reviewers have said about the flavors and also that there is a nice buttery caramel in there as well. The kicker for me is a certain floral tickle to my taste buds that darts in and out unexpectedly. What wonderful fun. I seem to enjoy this smoke most in my oil cured pipes as they present the flavors more strongly. The last third of the bowl is excellent and puts me in a very nice place. Old Nic is a bit on the strong side for me with this one but only a bit. About 20-30 minutes of drying time makes this a great smoke in my opinion. I can't wait to savor this with some age on it. I would say that as a new blend it's very satisfactory and time will simply make it outstanding. We shall see.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (76)

This GLP offering is nicely presented and I found it to be very easy to prepare. The blocks are moist and require some dry time once sliced, but I do enjoy working with pressed tobacco cakes.

At charring light the smoke is delicate and creamy and the tone is full of warmth. There are some wonderfully complex and exotic flavors right from the start, all of which are centered around a semi-sweet round bottom note hinting at a deep dark roasted espresso-like flavor. The latakia is tempered to the point of being obscured and there's very little of the pine pitch flavor so prominent in most latakia heavy blends. Gaslight is also the very epitome of smooth.

By mid-bowl the flavors build up nicely and an almost overwhelming bright leathery flavor develops. The spiciness that I expect from most GLP mixtures also makes an appearance, and it's probably the most compelling aspect of the blend. The spiciness is somewhat unique and affects my whole palate and not just my tongue. By this point the tobacco flavor is what I would categorize as strong yet enjoyable but with a burnt/bitter quality to it. The flavors are still well balanced and the smoke remains silky smooth.

Past mid-bowl, things fall apart a bit. A hearty burley-like flavor and bitterness begins to reign and the smoke leaves my palate feeling quite dry. Perhaps this is the product of some really intense Izmir leaf. Anyway, this is not necessarily a bad thing but altogether it's not exactly what I would categorize as desirable.

Both tobacco flavor and nicotine strength are a firm medium with nicotine pushing medium-strong. I do like this blend, I think it's good. I have socked a few tins away and look forward to seeing how it ages.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (12)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I really wanted to love this tobacco. The scent upon opening the tin was fantastic. Quite natural, with no flavoring to get in the way. Upon lighting, the first few minutes were outstanding. So far, so good. But, in the end, this tobacco really came on too strong (even for me, who usually likes a good, strong blend). There is just something in this blend that really bothered my stomach. I've had this happen before with Jackknife Plug. I'm sure it's just me and many, many smokers will find this a great blend.

Pipe Used: Caminetto

Purchased From: Uhle's Pipe Shop

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Smooth, cool smoking, and complex. Goes great with a cup of Earl Grey tea. The complexity and depth get more profound the further you smoke - without any harshness. Has an earthy, slight floral funkiness that is intoxicating. Great processing/blending. Exhale and retrohale deliver great spice/pepper notes. The dynamic nature of the blending is reminiscent of a perfectly balanced cigar, where wrapper, binding and filler are in perfect harmony. 3/4 packed, medium bowled Savinelli lasted a full hour. Burned clean. Job very well done!

Pipe Used: Savinelli, MM

Age When Smoked: Tin date 24-OCT-2013

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

kaizoku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaizoku (11)

this is probably the most balanced latakia blend i have ever tried! after cutting some of the plug and crumbling it in my hand (it crumbles easerly with very little handling), i lit up my pipe and got a very hearty earthy flavour from the latakia and orientals, and the deeper into the bowl i went the more i could taste the sweetness on the VA, though like some before me has said this blend has some hints of burley in its flavours. I really like this rich and flavourfull blend and would strongly reccomend it for everyone who likes a good englishstyle blend!

Pipe Used: Chacom plume 908

Age When Smoked: a month

Purchased From: Mellgrens fine tobacco, sweden

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (54)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Dark plug or kake with some visible lighter leaf. Tin note is typical terpene from the latakia. Smoked alongside its stablemate Pirate Kake, it differs in that virginias take the place of the burley in PK. The result is a lighter, sweeter tobacco that allows the orientals more expression. Still a very Lat forward blend however.

I am not experienced enough to say where in the spectrum of English blends this sits; it is an intriguing combination of a Lat bomb that manages to deliver a multitude of light and subtle aromas. It does go beautifully with a nice strong cup of tea.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Purchased From: Sample via smokingpipes.com

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I actually received a free sample of this tobacco in an order from Smokingpipes.com. I am a newbie smoker and I was leery of English Blends I really dislike their tin notes. I can say this was no different. It has a smokey/perfume/soap smell to me. I cut three 3/32" slices across the grain on the end of the plug, rubbed it out fully and let it dry slightly. My moisture meter said it was at about 11% moisture (I find it a great tool for a newbie pipe smoker). I packed the pipe, made a false light with a light tamp and lit the tobacco. It lit easily and burned well to the bottom of the bowl with a relight at about the 3/4 mark. The flavor is not as smokey/perfume as Lane Ltd. Crown Achievement, it still had the soapy flavor, but it was not as spicy as the Crown Achievement. The corncob lent a bit of sweetness to it as it burned, which was welcomed by me. I can confidently say I still dislike Latakia/English blends (again, a personal preference). I would imagine people that enjoy Latakia/English Blends would enjoy this tobacco, kind of like people that enjoy Lowland Scotch Whiskey-(I do not). It tastes/smokes just like the tin note. If you like the tin note, I'm sure you will enjoy the smoke.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Cob-No Filter-Filter stem

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted a 1x1x1-inch cube from a friend. It arrived with a bunch of other English blends, so the smells had sort of melded into one smoky slap across the face. Like walking into a bar as a fight was breaking out and getting caught up in the mess.

After separating the individual blends for a while this one seemed to peak my interest the most because I had never had a plug tobacco before and the smell was more than just smoky Latakia. The description may be (or was) a krumble kake, but it's a plug. It smelled like wood smoke of course but there was some sweetness poking through, so I sliced some off and packed my pipe. No waiting around for it to dry, just as is. It smoked well for me and the tiny slice filled the Pony Express I was using perfectly. To my surprise the wood smoke was not as dominant in the beginning as I would have expected but had some sweetness going on just on par with it. There is a constant of smokiness and spice though the whole smoke. In addition to that constant the flavors tend to go through three well defined stages as I smoke. First is of a cigar flavor, then to a heavy black tea (almost identical to Mississippi River) then at the end the sweetness and vitamin N kicks up a notch.

The only real negative that I could identify was that it gives me a serious case of cotton-mouth and I drink almost four glasses of water while smoking it. Might be unrelated, just thought I'd mention it anyway. The stuff can pack a big-ole vitamin-N kick, but not every time I smoke it. It would also seem that filtering it has no effect at all on the flavor or body.

A wonderful blend and I may very well purchase some of my own to see what cellaring would do to it.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Pony Express

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (12)

On opening the tin, a modest aroma of latakia. First bowl, in a Gr4-sized briar, confirmed suspicion that tobacco [4 weeks since packing] was too moist. Airing of cut/rubbed-out flake yielded a much better, more 'expected' smoke for my fifth pipe - Latakia-aroma and 'taste' noted immediately after pipe established, with gentle spiciness [oriental(s)] building to a pleasing "plateau."

After 5-10 minutes of gentle smoking, the smoothness and coolness of this "english" blend, strong though it is, was apparent. The only other "english" or "balkan" blends currently in my rotation are much rougher, more unbalanced [Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture, GH Sweet English - I've no Dunhill 965 to smoke for reference!! (Although, the 'new' 965 isn't the same as the original)]. An undefined 'taste' was noted about one-third into the bowl - could not place it - perhaps from the Virginias, pleasant, perhaps the 'mysterious' referred to in the publicity. Mme Nicotine asserts a modest presence in the latter stages of a bowl of this pleasing Gaslight blend, and the good, slow-burning characteristic of this blend and 'not-too-tight' packing of a Peterson System 302 returned me a 60 minute session of great satisfaction.

I will finish this first (2oz) tin and probably leave it until mid-winter's day [21st June 2014 - here in Australia!!] to sample another, and update my review. In the meantime, as reviewer "Former 965 Fan" has done, I think it may be appropriate to lay in a modest stock 'for later' so promising is this "young" sample I've tried!!

Adieu to you all!

Pipe Used: Peterson System 302 & 303

Age When Smoked: 4 weeks

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

NavyGuy85 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NavyGuy85 (5)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Not my favorite English by Pease, but it's certainly well crafted and smooth! Wonderful spice from the Orientals but the latakia can be overpowering at times.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (30)

All reviews here, spot on to my experience....so my added comments would be: The raw cake again had the rich Latakia smokiness, but long enough a faint fruity (peach?) smell breaks through. Exotic, fragrant flavours. When lit, definite softer Latakia (smokiness).

nekeke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nekeke (19)
Medium Extremely Mild Very Full Very Pleasant

I won't say much because a friend gave me a small sample and that is it. But I really liked it. I found the taste very similar to SG Navy flake. Just not at the end of the bowl. There it becomes slightly different.

Edit: I had a chance to taste this blend throughly so I will add a few remarks. This is a really significant tobacco. However it depends highly on how dry you smoke it, and how you cut it. I got a tin as a gift recently and when I opened it, the tobacco was quite wet. I smoked about two bowls and I began to think, "why did I like this one before?" But not before long, experience "kicked in", and I decided to cut the tobacco instead of rubbing it, and I let it throughly dry, before I smoke it. Ahhh...A very tasty tobacco, curiously with the hint of a taste of really quality butter. Try it, if you havent already. One of the very interesting ones indeed...

Pipe Used: Various

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Navy Flake (kind of).

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Overwhelming None Detected Very Full Strong

A stomach turning, mind numbing blast of Nicotine . . . If that's your thing then go for it.

The hyperbole on the label should include "Ignite the Gaslight, you'll be up all night".

This shall be the last tin of anything that I'll ever buy from Greg; heavy handed blending and too much cheap not properly cured Burley.