"Coopvaert is a mixture based on an old Dutch recipe, put together by connoisseurs of tobacco from natural Virginia, Java and Maryland tobaccos. The result is a fragrant and, most of all, gentle pipe tobacco with a slow-burning character through the addition of American Burley tobacco. Smoke Coopvaert using a pipe with a larger bowl."

BrandImperial Tobacco Group, PLC
Manufactured ByImperial Tobacco NL
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBurley, Maryland, Virginia
Packaging40 gram pouch

On a day trip to the Netherlands with visiting friends, we went to Enschede, and I sought out the 'baccy stores of the city, managing to get four blends not available in my home country. This was one of them.

The pouch is more like a Dutch cigarette shag's pouch, as is the weight: only a 40g pouch, unsealed. The result is that this 'baccy comes in relatively dry, but ready-to-smoke without any drying necessary. I transferred it to a mason jar to prevent it drying out too much.

The pouch, then, contains a mostly-bright, some-brown very long ribbon cut, remeniscent of Clan in the cut (though Clan is much darker). The pouch aroma is of VA with some cigar notes in it, most likely the Java leaf included. Stuffing is easy, and I would not want to use too wide a bowl for this--the pouch note recommends using larger bowls; I wouldn't, unless you're adept at sipping very, very slowly. It's a thin ribbon, so puff gently. I did try a large bowl, and it worked OK with me, but needed constant maintenance with a tamper.

The flavour is very nice even if you're used to the better English blends. No Latakia in it, but the Java leaf and Orientals included make up for that. Not too sweet (satisfying to me), and if properly maintained, this burns down to ashes only for me.

Given the price, this will not be a regular in my rotation (also because I cannot buy it locally), but whenever I'm in the Netherlands, I'll probably pick up a pouch to take home. It's good enough for that.

Pipe Used: Kürle handmade, Big Ben Woody Wood

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new pouch

Purchased From: Shop in Enschede, NL

Similar Blends: Theodorus Niemeyer - Clan (to a degree), Imperial Tobacco Group, PLC - Voortrekker naturel.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Thin ribbons in an unsealed pouch, so this is dry and burns quickly. Fortunately, it also burns fairly cool. The Maryland (and I presume the Java) give this subtle flavors and a bit of complexity, although the burley is the base flavor (and the VA the base of the room note). Certainly a change of pace, well work seeking out but not really to my current taste..

metalhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
metalhead (18)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

this is what ive wrote on ( het pijprokers-forum )dutch pipesmokers forum. its a "baai" -tobacco light sweetness, spicy with cigar-ish tendecies. a bigger pipes will make it smoke cooler then a small pipe, so a big pipe is reogmended. also smoke it as slow as you dare!

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In the 70's when I was in Holland, I picked up some Coopvaert and liked it a lot. I smoked several pouches of it. When I got back to the states, I looked for it. I finally found a large tin. I think it was at Garfinkel's in Washington, DC. A friend bought some with an order and sent me a pouch.

The tobacco is very dry and is a very long thin ribbon. It is described as "Natural aroma, a mixture of Virginia, Java, Maryland, and Burley." It smokes very cool and it is a quick smoke. It is a mild VaBur with a slight spiciness - maybe this is the Java? It is a remarkably good smoke for me.

If you are in Holland and looking at OTC tobaccos, I suggest you give it a try.