English blends containing the mysterious and smoky tobacco, Latakia, have long been a mainstay among pipe smokers, and nothing is more emblematic of England than John Bull. A true connoisseur’s delight, this supremely cool and smooth mixture uses mild flue-cured tobaccos, mellow and nutty Burley, a touch of black Cavendish for a subtle sweetness and the star of the blend, magnificent Cyprian Latakia. The result is a well-behaved, all-day mixture that is ultra-flavorful but never overbearing. It’s exceedingly rare to find this kind of premier blend in a pouch, but John Bull is anything but ordinary.

BrandScandinavian Tobacco Group (STG)
Manufactured BySt-Group Assens
Blend TypeVirginia/Latakia
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging1.5oz Pouch
Strength
Taste
Very Mild, Mild to Medium

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

This is English blends 101. Great for a beginner who wants to try an English blend for the first time. It's as mild as it gets, no bite, burns well, yet still allows one to experience what latakia is with out it blowing your head off. It's really not a bad blend all-in-all and you sure can't beat the price either. It's one of the only OTC blends i will even consider buying anymore. This is good to keep on hand to throw in your pipe from time to time when you want something light for a change. It is very mild so if you are a more experienced smoker you may want a large bowl for this one.

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like lots of latakia flavor in your blend, don't bother because this doesn't have that. This is a very mild blend with some subtleties of each flavor. I don't think I've ever seen a tobacco with several different kinds of tobacco be this mild before. Lightly smokey, lightly nutty and lightly sweet with a little grassy/hay note, it's an unobtrusive all day smoke that burns particularly well, but not hot. Without the latakia, it'd be the most boring smoke in the world. This is for the smoker who wants a little smokey taste as he goes about his daily business, but doesn't want his senses filled up with what he's smoking. It's really nothing special, but for some reason, I found myself ready and willing to enjoy it when I wanted this kind of smoke. It's perhaps the most well balanced light smoke I've ever had.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Unlike JimInks, about all I got from this blend was mild Latakia. Nice for an OTC pouch, even straightforward. If you're looking for complexity or a Lat-bomb, don't look here. If you like a mild Latakia, it's worth checking out.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

...I like this in the AM...certainly not very strong but sometimes this is a good thing...A light English blend/mixture, it has the basic components that represent a English mixture. Because it is not complex, I find an "earthy" sweetness that I enjoy with coffee/tea.

Smokes well in almost any pipe and appears to be within my expectations of moistness and easy packing/lighting.

All-in-all, this tobacco meets or exceeds my wishes as a light English...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Pipe Used: usually a group 3 to 6 size

Purchased From: pipes&cigars

puddlepirate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puddlepirate (11)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Tolerable

Very mild english blend. Faint trace of latakia. Not bad for an OTC blend. I usually prefer a stronger smoke than this. I did mix this with C&D 412 Billy Budd in a glass mason jar to pick it up a notch or two.

Pipe Used: MM country gentlemen, great dane

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: pipes&cigars.com

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (16)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Just finished up a pouch of John Bull. It was my first shot at an English blend having smoked mostly Virginias and Cavendish. Good stuff. The operative word here is mild. The Latakia takes center stage but in the meekest way possible. The first couple of bowls didn't leave much of an impression at all but once I got toward the end of the pouch subtle nuances of different flavors began making themselves known and I found myself interested in another bowl over the aromatics currently in the lineup. Although I did like this smoke, I probably won't be buying any more John Bull because the requisite Kick of Nick is just shy of acceptable. I will, however, be trying other English blends because of the favorable introduction to the genre.

Pipe Used: MM Ozark, found briar

Age When Smoked: new when opened

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Thorre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thorre (27)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I purchased 2 pouches of John Bull Royal English from PipesandCigars , it was because it sounded very interesting, and it was recommended by a staff member. I also read the reviews here and thought, what the heck. It was very inexpensive. I did not expect much latakia, and it doesn't have much. What it does have is some very good quality blond Virginia, burley, and black Cavendish. When I opened the pouch I could definitely smell latakia. It has just enough of the smoky leaf to make it's presence felt. The main flavor I tasted was a good nutty burley, and slightly sweet Cavendish tobacco. I packs and burns very well, and it doesn't seem to me to have very much topping if any. I have never smoked any tobacco in pouch, that has this standard of quality leaf. I surely recommend this to anyone who wants a good, inexpensive non biting smoke with a light English flavor.

Bazsup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bazsup (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Really not a fan of Latakia but got this as a trial pouch. For a smoker of burley and Virginias, this was a good introduction into the English genre. It smoked cool and even with a somewhat nutty flavor to go with the smokiness of the Latakia. I'll probably not buy it again but I did enjoy the pouch.

Pipe Used: Barber B

Black Sheep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Sheep (13)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a good all around English blend. Easy on the mouth and always burns well in the pipe. Not overpowering, but tastes good nonetheless.