A light, bright flake of famous refinement and antiquarian origins, here in ready-rubbed form, Capstan Yellow, like its medium-bodied Blue sibling, was originally created by W.D. & H.O. Wills of Bristol during the latter half of the 19th century. Suffice to say, it's no accident this smoking mixture has survived as a favorite to so many generations.

BrandMac Baren
Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByMacBaren
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild
Taste

3.6

This review is virtually the same as the one I posted for the flake version, because I tasted no discernible difference between that and the ready rubbed. The only differences are that this is easier to pack because it is ready rub cut and burns a little faster.

A moderately sweet and mild easy to ready rubbed flake with a little sugar and some citrus toppings complimenting the light, citrusy Virginias. The Virginias offer a bit of grass and some hay, plus a pinch or two of earth. Has a mild nic-hit. No chance of bite or harshness. A rather uncomplicated blend that burns at a moderate pace, cool and clean with a smoothly sweet consistent taste from start to finish. There are several kinds of Virginias in this for a mild to medium balance of taste. Needs a few relights, leaves little moisture in the bowl, and will burns to ash. Has a nice after taste and room note. An all day experience that works for the smoker who wants a gentle, sweet flavor without the earthy characteristics darker Virginias provide.

-JimInks

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Mac Baren - Capstan Gold Ready Rubbed.

It's been awhile since I had the Blue Capstan's so I can draw no comparison; that doesn't matter though, this is great in its own right.

It's badged Ready Rubbed so that could mean it's virtually a shag, mid-sized ribbons, or even practically a broken flake; this mixture's a little thicker than your standard ribbons, yet it's not quite what would qualify as a broken flake, so for now I'll leave it as very chunky ribbons!

There isn't too much aroma from the tin, it's just a straight Virginia smell: a little citrusy, slightly grassy, and slightly hay like.

The moisture's great, and as you'd expect, the colour's a medium brown. So, onto the actual smoke:

The ribbons aren't so big as to need crumbling, or rubbing. They are however, thick enough to give a cool smoke, and a slow burn. It lights easily and then, straight away, gives a good Virginia flavour: I wouldn't say it's exactly 'Full', there's not enough going on for it to accomplish that title, but it's quite a rich, sweet, strong and grassy Virginia flavour. If I think of how a Virginia should taste, this sort of flavour is what would come to mind. I don't get any added tastes highlighted on my palate; there's nothing I wouldn't expect from a high quality Va. The nicotine's quite mild to me, I wouldn't say it's mild only, but definitely no more than medium.

Rating this is simple; it is after all, one of the best straight Virginia's I've had: Highly recommended.

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal Rocky #221

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

CornCob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CornCob (94)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Strong

I prefer this blend over it's blue step brother, although it is nice in it's own right. The gold is smooth and sweet, satisfying dose of vitamin N and doesn't get boisterous if smoked all day. This is in the top 5 of RR VA blends for me, its become a regular for me and shall remain that way.

Mac Baren's has done a very good job with Capstan Navy Gold's replacement with the same namesake. Not nearly as rich and creamy as the Wills original, but then, there are decades of differences in the fermentation process which makes well aged Virginia leaf so much more wonderful than it is fresh.

Mac Baren captured, for the most part, the mysterious top note that the original was famous for. An enhancement for the Virginia, which is a little rough around the edges, but one can tell that Mac Baren made sure to use the finest specially processed leaf available. It is a reliable smoke and I will certainly add a few tins to my cellar for aging. Not really as stout in the strength department as I personally enjoy, but on down the road would be a perfect blend to goose the nicotine strength by beefing it up with, say, Five Brothers or some other strong Burley that doesn't deliver much of its own flavor.

Briar Baron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Baron (12)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I really liked the flake of this blend and honestly did not think the ready rubbed would be as good....but I would be happy to buy this version, especially since I was lucky enough to get some of the 5 year aged tins that were being sold recently.

That being said, buy the fresh version and and confidently cellar it for a few years for an amazing tobacco that is smooth and tasty without any hint that it would bite.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Autograph, Ardor, Dunhill

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Capstan Blue.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (51)

This tobacco is very good! Its got that sweetness about it, without having to even try. This would be an all day tobacco if it weren't for the price. I give this a thumbs up for taste, and aroma. Its not pretentious, its just straightforward good Virginia tobacco. Enjoy a bowl!

Pipe Used: Chacom 93 amber stem

Age When Smoked: 5 years old

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (203)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Delicious grassy Virginia with a light citrusy flavor on the back end. This is a definite all day smoke for me, mostly through the hotter months, as I prefer English blends once the leaves start to fall. I like the ready rubbed version better than the flake, as it's just less work and I don't expect any real revelations as this ages, so no need to bother with the flake here. Highly recommended for all who enjoy a light Virginia tobacco flavor.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Orlik Golden Sliced, Dunhill Flake.

Rustedrailsmokes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustedrailsmokes (102)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I recently purchased a few tins from Smokingpipes when they mentioned that they had stock from 2013 on the shelf. I'm not usually patient enough to let tins age that long, so this gave me a quick start.

I enjoy the Gold Flake so I was happy to find that this is basically the exact same goodness in a much easier to load form.

Opening the tin and removing the top paper, I found it packed full of grassy goodness. The tin note is grassy like I want a pure VA to be. The moisture level was great and didn't require any drying. It's easy to pack and stays lit.

The taste has some citrus notes and is not very complex. Its consistent through the bowl and smoked well in a variety of pipe shapes.

Wife is not a fan of the roomnote.

With the age on it, its a great smoke. I compare it favorably to the flake. It does burn quicker than the flake so it requires some attention. I've always preferred the Gold over the Blue versions, but that is just me.

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: 6 years in tin

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Capstan Gold Navy Cut / Yellow Flake.