This tobacco is a blend containing 75% dark fired leaf 12.5% Malawi Burley and 12.5% Virginia. You would therefore rightly expect a very strong smoke and one perhaps dominated by the pungent burnt smokey flavour so characteristic of leaf cured by open fire and smoke.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Other / Misc
CutPlug
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Reading the other reviews, I'm a bit shocked, like maybe somehow I got a different GH blend than what I ordered. This is based on a couple of bowls, no more, no less, but my tobacco was fairly light in color, and I didn't get any of the flavors I associate with Kendal blended dark fired leaf blends. The smoke was fairly acrid and tended to bite. The Lakeland essence started off present, but then disappeared. I just wasn't happy with this tobacco at all.

I like many of the other GH blends, such as Kendal Kentucky and the Dark series (Thick, Flake and the default shag), but just didn't get this one at all. The other reviews sound a lot more interesting than what I just smoked...

anixi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anixi (17)
Strong Extra Strong Very Mild Overwhelming

I've heard that this flake "grows on you". I have tried it in many sizes and types of bowls and it's the same over and again: floral

Does anyone know why the British like such "old lady perfumed" tobacco? It is growing on me a little, e.g. today out back in the wind it almost tasted and smelled fitting to be out there smoking it. It's snowing now, perhaps it would benefit from some snow time out in the blizzard. Something's got to help this poor stuff. I'm DGT'ing some right now in my CoolSmoke. It's bound to lose some of the perfume!

Overwhelming Extremely Mild Extra Full Tolerable

I recently completed a bowl of Conniston Plug, and all I can say is; "whew, I'm glad that's over with!" I always thought of myself as a guy who can take the stoutest of blends, but I cried "Uncle" after partaking of this one.

Conniston Plug is dark in looks, but not nearly dark enough to suggest the strength that lies within the leaf. It was even tough to rub out. It packed easily enough and stayed lit well. Frankly though, I don't think you need to put a match to the leaf in order to taste its power. It hits you like a ton of bricks. I thought I was smoking the residuals of a smoky campfire. Strong and bitter stuff folks. Oh, the smoky flavor will stick to your palate like peanut butter too.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Very Strong

Do you like strong, highly floral, monotonous tobacco blends? If so, give this a try. I personally prefer to have my roses in a vase, my urinal puck in a bathroom and my sharpness in a cigarette (which I then will choose not to smoke).

British tobacco rope enthusiasts may enjoy this. But not me.

No cheers.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

A strange mish-mash of reviews here and in a way I'm not surprised. These so-called "Lakeland" blends seem to cause more mixed reactions than any other. Long may it continue!

Soap? No, not at all. Ennerdale this ain't.

Floral? Just a touch, but more on the packet note - which is very yummy on the nose - rather than on the smoke itself, where it acts like a leavener.

And there's the rub (pardon the pun). To my mind the key thing about this blend is that is really rather strong, in smell, taste and mouthfeel. I am not generally a fan of aromatics because I prefer the taste of tobacco. In that sense, Coniston Cut Plug delivers in spades, with the flavourings, such as they are, seasoning and tempering the tobacco essence, rather than overwhelming it. And for me that is just the way it should be.

If you like a strong smoke with just a little something to take the edge away, this is just the job.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

I recently spent a week aboard a boat on the Norfolk Broads in East Anglia, fishing for Pike. These waters are at their most beautiful during the colder months of the year when the boat traffic is lessened and the wildlife comes out to play.

I took several blends with me on the trip, including a bag of Coniston Cut Plug. This one trumped all the others to become my chosen evening smoke, and the crisp autumn weather made it seem far more enticing than when I first tried it a couple of years ago.

The combination of different VA constituents is spot on to provide a hearty, medium-strong smoke with good body and superb balance, though the dark-fired leaf is very much to the forefront. The top dressing is assertive but works very well with the base tobaccos, weaving around them and combining nicely without over powering the tobacco flavours.

My palette isn't refined enough to deduce the exact florals in evidence. It is definitely one of the more complex takes on lakeland 'essence' and the level of application, whilst probably too heavy to appeal to those looking for a lighter lakeland experience, is just fine by me. A distinct plus is that it manages to maintain throughout the smoke, rather than burning off during the early stages as can happen with some flavoured tobaccos.

Superb smoking qualities as one would expect from Gawith & Hogwarts. The fineness of the ash is akin to a good cigar.

I have just ordered samples of some of the lesser known GH&Co blends including Grasmere, Glengarry and Kendal Flake. I look forward to sampling these and will review them when I do, but for the timebeing CCP is a something of a grail blend as far as stronger lakelands go. For me, it is infinitely preferable to 1792 and Bracken Flake (sorry, Samuel).

Blackhorse, a couple of reviews down, has it right on when he calls it a 'goldilocks' blend. Anything less than four stars would be an injustice.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Coniston Cut Plug (Bulk): I'll start by saying this is a solid 3 stars for me. Upon opening the bag, the raw note is flowery soap and chocolate cake. It was moist out of the bag, but only took about 10 mins after I rubbed it out. It's a simple, easy drop in load; like dropping in cubes and you barely need to pack it. It fires up at 1st light; stays lite, but burns warm and more quickly than most quality blends. The room note is sweet, fruity and FLOWERY, but it can sting the back sinuses a bit if you're not careful. I like an occasional inhale, but trust me, this is not the blend for that, as a stand alone.

From what I'd read, I fully expected this smoke to have a strong nic kick, but it's not too heavy, and was NEVER overpowering. The palate is nice mild sweet woody goodness, and I now understand the Lakeland (soapy) flavor that so many speak of. For me, it is far in the back-end and was an enhancement to the blend; not a detractor at all. However, I do have to add that the soap ghost haunts the mouth long afterward. Grab an Altoid.

Some have described how smoky this is, but being the Latakia nut that I am, I'm used to the smokiest of blends, so this didn't seem to be overly so.

I fully enjoy sipping this with a few breaks here and there. I could only smoke about 2/3 of the bowl, as the flavor stops and turns to tar, but that's just the way some stronger blends are.

I have found it best used as a medium base blending agent. Here is an oddball mix of mine that you may enjoy: Start with 1/3 Coniston cut plug and add a 1/4 amount of Cyp Lat to that. Then add 1/3 ECR + 1/3 Rattray Hal O the Wynd. Rub that mix together well and let it meld for a day or two in a jar. Finally, pour that amount into a pile then eyeball a 1/3 PRE-GROUND amount of Dunhill A-30000 black cav next to the original pile and mix together by squeezing it in the palms of your hands. Repeat until evenly mixed. Afterward, you can age it, or smoke it for a strong sweet, yet mellow mix with no bite, and even a good inhale if you wish. I smoke this in an old Bewlay 003 Canadian of mine. It has a typically long shank, but a smaller bowl that delivers a nice cool stream. Enjoy!

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Of all the blends that both sides of the Gawith clan puts out, this one gets my nod as the best in terms of what its like to work with and what it gives during the smoke. Not too shredded, not too firm...drys fast and easy to pack and ignite...fabulous flavors balancing richness, strength, sweetness and nuance development...sip it slowly and pay it no mind or worry over every little shred of goodness delivered to your tobacco pleasure center. To me this is all things, striking the perfect balance...not too smoky, not too strong, not too sweet...like those planets that are neither too close nor too far from the Sun to be likely to support life...this one inhabits the "Goldilocks" zone. It's just right!

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Strong Mild Very Full Tolerable

A bit stronger yet smoother than the Floral Bosun Cut Plug and quite subdued with the Tonquin scent/flavoring compared to Dark Flake Scented. Not quite the overall strength of DFS, but a strong, full bodied, rich flavored plug. While the dark fired leaf dominates, the Burley and Virginia do add to the overall natural flavors and full bodiedness. Mostly tobacco flavor for me in this one as the scenting is light, just enough to compliment the aroma, without interfering with the natural rich tobacco flavors. Another winner from G&H IMHO and happily in my weekly rotation year round.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable

Got this with some other samples at a shop in Carlisle. Got 6 smokes out of it. I'm really digging the mighty Coniston.

This is rightly compared to 1792/Cobb Flake. It is 1792 light, or lighter. Still pretty strong, but with less dark-fired leaf (1792 is apparently 100%, this is only 75%). You can also taste tonquin, but perhaps it's lighter here as well. Tonquin is not the same as the lakeland flower scent, as many assume. It is a vanilla substitute, and is very sweet. The florals are there as well, though only noticed on the initial light.

The burleys and virginias added to the dark-fired leaf make the flavor less dark and earthy, or muddy ("pungent burnt smokey" as they say in the above description) than 1792. Instead, you get more rounded, creamy, even nutty flavors, at least after the tobacco had dried sufficiently.

This is a real winner. If 1792 is too "pungent burnt smokey" (muddy) for you, or too strong, but you otherwise like it, this is your tobacco. Well worth a try. I will be revisiting it.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Very Strong Strong Very Full Strong

WHOAH! This stuff is POTENT. The casing is nice, very old-lady perfumy (I mean that in the most positive sense I can.)

About 1/4 of the way, this stuff gets very bitter and burnt tasting... This doesn't make it very pleasing to me, but the first few puffs are nice.

The power of this tobacco is pretty stout. It gets a tad harsh, and is... Well, not really my cup of tea. I would hope that there was a virginia with this casing... Not such a powerhouse.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like CCP. It's a scented flake that will not appeal to everyone, but strikes me just right. The strong scenting burns away for the most part during the first third of the bowl and then plays quietly with the great tobacco flavor until the end of the bowl. CCP is fairly strong, so some caution is needed.

Probably due to its strength, I don't smoke it everyday. But when I'm in the mood for a strong, flavorful tobacco, nothing hits the spot like CCP. It's made from high quality tobaccos processed in the traditional Lake District manner.

If your looking for a subtle Virginia, steer clear of CCP. It's straight forward and strong. It's great for smoking outdoors, particularly when your attention is not completely focused on smoking. CCP seldom needs a relight and smokes great to the bottom of the bowl with little attention from the smoker. I always have some at hand.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Coniston Cut Plug . I actually find this quite nice ! It has a good unlit aroma to it and is of a good moistness also . The smoke has a good Virginia taste but I struggle to detect the Aromatic side albeit the taste of Virginia is very pleasing with a nice background of Burley . It does bite if drawn to hard but nothing major . Good Nicotine content for me as well . A steady/even burn which stays lit too .

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Smoke King

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

My introduction to Lakeland style tobaccos was with the famous/infamous Condor, before that I didn't even know there was such a category called Lakeland. So, after having smoked a few pouches of Condor and having liked it very well, I decided to dig around and see what other Lakeland style tobaccos can be had in the U.S., that's when I found this blend.

Upon opening the bag (bought in bulk) I was greeted by that strong, pleasant floral smell some call soapy. In excitement I packed and lit my pipe, and was greeted by both satisfaction and disappointment.

The Lakeland flavor comes thru and is noticeable, but not as pronounced and "in your face" as I had hoped. That was the disappointment.

The satisfaction comes from everything else. See, even though the Lakeland essence is milder than I had hoped, it still comes thru and satisfies my craving for that taste. Further, the tobacco flavor comes thru and it is a very good flavor indeed. I can't really say that I find much complexity here, but the tobacco is good, tasty, most of what I taste is Va.

The body of the smoke comes from the Kentucky, which gives the blend the tobacco-y kick without being too strong. I would say this blend is full flavored and packs a decent nicotine punch, but it is not at all overwhelming. The cut plug (another fancy name for chunks of flakes, really) rub out easily. While lighting takes an extra second or two than, say, a shag cut, it is pretty easy and stays lit.

As far as moisture content, I have to say that, like many tobaccos out there, it comes with too much moisture, but this one perhaps a little more moist than most. Keep in mind it is better to have tobacco that is too moist than tobacco that is too dry and have to re-hydrate. With that said, I find it necessary to dry out the tobacco before smoking. A pipeful of rubbed out tobacco, spread out evenly, gets to a good smoking condition in about half an hour.

The one thing I can't help you with is the room note. I like the room note of pretty much all pipe tobacco and so does my wife. What I can tell you is that if you can only tolerate sweet aromatic roomnotes then this might be something you need to smoke outside.

This stuff is expensive, but worth it if you want a quality Lakeland. After having smoked 8 ounces I can say that, while I have not found a suitable replacement for Condor, I will buy Coniston again because it is a good Tobacco.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This comes in two varieties -- scented and unscented. I bought the unscented version. It appeared as relatively thick slices, like tree bark, which were dark brown with slightly-lighter strands. It smelled like a powder box of Arpege my mother used to have.

I smoked this in a Missouri Meerschaum General. The smoke had a thick, pleasant quality, like drinking a tobacco milkshake. The perfume lingered throughout; the tobacco itself showed a lot less flavor, and only matched the perfume in the last third of the bowl.

I kept tasting the "Lakeland" scents hours after finishing the pipe. They were unpredictable, jarring and unpleasant, like someone suddenly drawing his nail across a blackboard. I can only imagine how long one would have to endure this after-effect with the scented version.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, has a slight After Taste

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

You gotta like the Lakeland soap taste to really get into this one. It's not off my list, but just occasional. Try it, but not on an empty stomach.

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This packs a punch alright! Best suited for later day smoking IMO. I would put this in the Black XX, Irish Twist strength catergory. But the "other flavoring" adds a whole different dimension. Its a very well behaved smoke right out of the bag. I would certainly buy more.

Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Excellent tobaccos, but you'd really have to enjoy the flavorings more than I to be able to really enjoy this.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Other / Misc Flavoring is tasty and integrates well with the tobaccos dark rich and smoky character. I Was originally going to rate this only three but instead feel this one deserves no less than 4 gold stars. An excellent complex smoke.

supersmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
supersmoke (12)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

I am glad I tried this.

I am looking for a Hogarth Lakeland floral with a little more scent than Best Brown No2 but not quite so pronounced as Ennerdale.

Unfortunately this one is not it because it is a bit to heavy for me, but it is very good all the same.

Noting the St Bruno comparision from the previous reviewer. I think it compares more favourably to Condor original actually, Similair strength and flavour

My search for a Lakeland floral continues,I might give that Glengarry Flake a try actually.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Strong

This is a "man's" smoke if ever there was one. Almost but not quite as powerful as Dark Flake or 1792, this is a nicotine powerhouse with a full, smoky flavor that is utterly unique. The Lakeland perfume here is reminiscent of Ennerdale (perhaps St. Bruno, as well) but it's applied with a lighter hand. Or, maybe it's not that less flavoring is used but rather that the base tobaccos are so powerful they drown out anything that's added to them! I really like how this stuff smokes, its lack of bite and its ability to cure my desire for a nicotine fix. I also like the flavoring that's used. What ruins Coniston Cut Plug for me is that there are almost no "light" or sweet tobaccos here. The underlying leaf is bitter and unpleasant, and the polar opposite of what is used in, say, Kendal or Ennerdale flakes. I've found that mixing this 50-50 with other G&H mixtures can yield some very smokeable products, but taken on its own I hsve to force myself to finish each bowl.

Somewhat recommended, as this is a high-quality product that just isn't to my taste.

Lazy Mango Jalfreizi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lazy Mango Jalfreizi (5)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

A real "man's" tobacco. Cool & slow burning, full on tobacco flavour. Nice and earthy. Peaty with a pleasant smokey flavour from the curing process. The flowery topping is evident, but varies from batch to batch. Sometimes it's hardly noticable, other batches it's quite evident.

At times, I'm reminded of a slightly damp day in the woods with a wooden fire burning somewhere nearby. It's a warming and comforting smoke, and makes me relaxed and happy. When I'm smoking CCP, I feel like I've been transported back a couple of hundred years to simpler (and better?) times. It's the sort of thing I expect Tolkien's "Old Toby" to be like. I can envision many a happy Hobbit smoking this blend.

Vathek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vathek (6)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Lovely tobacco. Strong, full-flavoured, even slightly treacly. Burns cool and slow.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Another one on the strong list, and another 4 stars. One of the best strong ones from gawh.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (108)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

This is a hefty, dark cut-plug with a pronounced but not objectionable Lakeland topping (there is a scented variant that I haven't tried, and probably won't). The leaf is of the high quality and presentation that you would expect from GH. The topping is a little bit like Ennerdale Flake, but nowhere near as strong. In that respect, CCP is what Ennerdale Flake ought to be, IMO!

CCP isn't at all bad: slow burning, full flavoured and mostly quite cool, though I find that it gets a bit ashy and hot towards the bottom of the bowl. It comes quite moist, but it burns well and doesn't need constant relighting. The room note is pleasant enough, too, SWMBO & Co. tell me. It's the sort of tobacco that I always think of as a cold-weather smoke: just right for a winter evening by the fire with a black coffee; tasty and strong. Don't rush it, though or the nicotine will make the bottom fall out of your world and vice versa.

The negative thing that I'm inclined to say about CCP is that there's nothing especially striking or out of the ordinary about it. It's pleasant enough, but any number of other dark-fired offerings will do the same for you. I'm happy to recommend it somewhat, but I wouldn't queue in the street to buy some more. If I had to choose between this and Sinclair's Highland Sliced (I think the comparison is fair), I'd choose the Highland Sliced.

Update (28th August, 2011): is it me, or has CCP suddenly lost its quality? The last lot I had didn't taste of anything much, and was hot and ashy. Lakeland tobaccos, love 'em or hate 'em, are at least usually consistent in quality, but this has suddenly nosedived.

JESTRAB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JESTRAB (10)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

With this baccy I went a strange journey. When first opening the pouch I was shocked by the specific 'barber' sort of aroma. But when smoking the first bowls I was impressed and excited. The tobacco itself is really a great dark fired leaf, quite strong but not overwhelming. Soapy aroma was just nicely rounding the taste. Also, the aroma was always greeted by my wife, which was quite surprising to me. However, after some twenty bowls I started to be sick of the soapiness. I couldn't enjoy the tobacco more and I can't even today although I do consider Coniston to be an excellent dark fired. Apparently I will never become a fan of the GH's lakeland flavour.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Overwhelming

Quite frankly, it'll be awhile before I try another G&H tobacco. I either love them or loathe them. I think they make the best "strong" tobaccos in the world... and also the worst ones - to my taste, of course!

This one is a nice dark broken flake that smells of the Lakeland florals (as some call them - I call 'em soap!) which I detest but that I find tolerable and even beneficial in some blends. In this one, I found it overpowering during the first 1/3 of the bowl. I was surprised but pleased that I made it past this point because the middle 1/3 was very good. The soap taste dissipated and the dark-fired leaf flavor took over. Nice! Unfortunately, that didn't last very long, as during the last 1/3, I consistently got a heavily burnt toast flavor that was extremely bitter. This happened no matter how slowly I puffed. It was not pleasant, I assure you, even while it was preferable to the soap taste at the beginning.

If you enjoy the Lakeland style flavoring- and it appears there are many that do - this one will be right up your alley. It's a high quality blend that unfortunately just isn't my cup of tea.

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (155)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Another nice trip to Kendal, indeed.

I received 50grms of bulk CCP from Kingsize of Sheffield (UK), alongwith Ennerdale (and others).

CCP belongs to the same cathegory( and brand) of Ennerdale, sharing quite the same cut, colour and flavouring. Just, CCP is one notch stronger and a couple milder in flavouring. This makes it something different and more user-friendly. And deserving a higher rating.

A small Castello long-shanked Prince, was used for this review. Rolled a couples of pinches of this roughly rubbed flake, one false light and here we go !

The smallest quantity of flakes gifts the longest and coolest smoke! Never the bowl is hot, never the smoke stings. Sweet, earthy and flowery. Mildly soapy/citrusy/almondy. The presence of fire-cured leaves makes evidence to the nostrils. The strength is satisfactory and perfectly manageable all the day. So the complessive body is as well.

At the end, only dry fluffy ash.

Traditional english flakes have a special place in my heart indeed.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another 'Claasic' from the Lakeland region of England. Mainly a dark flake, easy to rub out. A false light, a quick tamp, a re-light and on to the experience. A rather floral, ever so slightly sweet taste as one goes down the bowl. I view this type of blend as a change of pace, not an everyday smoke. Sort of a weekend, 'kick-back' type of blend. As with most of the blends from this region, the flavoring (or flavouring) really accentuates the high quality tobaccos, rather than over-power them.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (79)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

I've smoked about 10 ounces of this over the years since it's been available in the US, though lately I don't want to touch it.

CCP is more rounded and polite than 1792 (one reason could be the Burley) and doesn't pack quite as much of a nico wallop.

It has a smooth yet bitter underlying taste, flavored fairly gently (relative to other Lakeland Flakes) with something that smells/tastes like bannanas mixed with baby powder. The Horrible Aftertaste I get with the ropes is present here but much muted, so muted it doesn't bother me. CCP is monochromatic, smoky and slightly soapy, but that's not news.

All in all, this is relatively approachable and likeable, considering its heart of darkness. If the ropes are too much but you still feel tempted, try this.

Magnulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnulus (8)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco has the typical floral scented British aroma in the pouch, mixed with a deep tobacco scent, and it also smells quite strong. On smoking, this tobacco burns very easily and cool. The strength of the tobacco is quite strong, but not overwhelmingly so like Cob Flake or the ropes. Nevertheless, I don't find this to be a good early-morning smoke because of the strength. It is quite dry tasting, too. Not a hint of sweetness, and a bit monotonous. What I think helps this tobacco is drying it thoroughly and lightly casing it with some high-proof rum, and perhaps a bit of licorice extract. Then it takes on a lively and pleasant character. The room aroma of the base tobacco is heavy.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Very Strong Mild to Medium Very Full Tolerable

I will preface this review by stating up front that I am a relative new-comer to "soapy" English virginia flakes in general and GH blends of this type in specific.

I recently obtained several GH samples. I liked Rum Flake, but after Sliced Black Twist Aromatic, I was not sure I was up to GH "natural" flakes. I was therefore pleasantly surprised with Conniston Cut Plug, a stringy dark brown broken flake with just a few lighter streaks.

On arrival the tobacco seemed a bit moist, so I let it sit out in a dish to dry out, while I fired up a bowl, "as is", i.e., stuffed some moist broken flakes in a kind-of-everything no-name bulldog. Before lighting up, I stuck my nose in the bowl to sense the pouch aroma. Just a hint of floral bouquet, but nothing overwhelming considering the flavor to come.

Immediately upon initial combustion, I was struck with the strong tastes of floral room freshener, kind of like those little christmas tree automobile air-fresheners. While this sounds unappetising, in combination with the sweetness of the virginias it was a great flavor. The balance of flavor was also almost consistent throughout the bowl, gathering in sweetness towards the end. I never did get a sense of a smoky taste mentioned by others, at least in the latakia-smoky way. I am also not sure that this needed to be dried out as that first bowl burned well. It did go out on occasion, perhaps due to neglect, but it is strong enough that this is a good thing.

CCP is a "love it or leave it" kind of tobacco. I could not see smoking it all day (though I have just smoked 3 "demi-tasse" bowls in a row!). This is a strong tobacco, and is best appreciated in small doses and does DGT quite well. Also, the room note is rather overwhelming, especially in confined spaces like my home office.

I look forward to exploring more GH soap flakes.

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

If you enjoy British flavoring like I do you gonna love this tobacco. It is of extremely high quality leaf with an endless rolling of flavor-filled smoke tempting taste and smell senses to continually beg for more. I cannot say enough good about this mixture. It is sweet but not offensively so. It has plenty of strength to carry its aroma relentlessly pleasing the smoker always. If you like Condor, St. Bruno, Ennerdale, and Bracken Flake you should find solice in this kin weed. Order in a small sample and give it a go. Absolutely bliss!!!

Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

Many thanks for Rich from 4noggins dot com, for sending me a good sample of this blend.

This is a typical Kendal dark pressed tobacco, scented with the typical flowery Kendal topping (after shave foam, ladies hair spray and all?), the smoke is strong in nicotine, which requires an extremely slow puffing to better enjoy this fine tobacco, the taste is flowery semi sweet with some bitterness and with sort of dark caramel undertone, there is a lot of delightful flavors to be discovered during the smoking experience, I found that a narrow bowl with a Very slow puffing (sipping) is the best way to enjoy this blend. Overall, this is an excellent blend in the finest English traditions; I like it and I will be buying more for sure.

Bad Good = Excellent * Exceptional

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)
Strong Medium to Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

I presume the scenting process is carried out at the final stage, just before packing. Nothing else could explain that the scent makes its presence felt in ascending order in plugs, flakes, cut plugs and ribbons. What is tantalizing or piquant in plug form has become insufferable in ribbon form (Erinmore is a clear example).

The tobacco quality is good, but the scenting intrusive. I have had the same scent in the same makers XX Dark, where it is only on the surface of the plug, and enjoyed it. In the cut plug form it approximates to Condor.

Strong Mild Full Strong

A good tobacco, in the tradition of the Lake District soapy flakes. The burnt aroma is strong, reminding me of S.Gawith Black XX, but the nicotine content isn't so heavy as I was expecting; however, it's definitely an after-dinner! It packs and burns well, with a pleasant light bitterish taste, that becomes very bitter if rushed. Good one.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant

A somewhat maligned blend, CCP should have a place in the rotation of any Lakeland fancier, as well as occasional play in the pipes of those interested in a trip to unfamiliar territory. Not as rabidly scented as some sister offerings, CCP is pleasantly floral, something of a meeting between St. Bruno and Condor. The nicotine level is high but certainly not obscene. This is a tobacco to be smoked gently and with some attention, as it will turn bitter if provoked. I find it an amiable partner later in the day, along side 1792, et al.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

-An english lakeland style semi-aromatic broke flake

-Dominated by a base of dark fired leaf which translates to a higher nicotine content, full and satisfying in that regard

The aromatic factor is light but significantly there. One might say it has some of that "soapy" quality but to me it is verging on floral but not over the edge. I can detect a slight amount of added sweetness to the smoke and aroma very much like tonquin. This in effect is similar to Samuel Gawith's 1792 Flake but as a lessor density in strength and slightly different aromatic quality. The taste of the smoke has the light sweetness from the tonquin, which helps to round out the overall flavor, smokiness from the dark fired leaf and the other aromatic agents contribute a sort of mild bitterness. The smoke strength is tame and not bitting like a VA flake. The richness of the nicotine content in relation to it's mild strenth on the palette is deceptive, so puff slow with caution (not quite near 1792). Another lakeland variety which may be sought after by certain niche smokers.

- Recommended to "Lakelanders"

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Strong Strong Full Pleasant

AN English flake, in the English tradition, soapy as some would call it. This tobacco is either for those you like this type or not. A dark flake, partially broken and it comes moist, so some time is needed to air out for good smoke. Very flavorfull and aromatic in smell and room notes. This tobacco smokes all the way to the bottom of the bowl, with care! Strong on the nicotine, and with a white ash which shows it's purity. Not enough can be said for this tobacco. One of my favorites, which I smoke frequently.

morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Strong

I recently obtained a number of the G&H flakes from Pete Zaring at PipesforLess. In this sampling was the Coniston Cut Plug, probably one of the finest smoking experiences which I ever had. The opening aroma from the bag is pungent and discernible; not the characteristic citric acid aroma of most virginias but full. Mostly brown, some black and a little yellow leaf in the cut plug. Moist to the touch, requiring teasing and rubbing to fill the pipe. I chose a Savenelli Bruna large billiard, rubbing some for the bottom of the bowl, more flake for the middle and some rubbings to top off. A few charring lights and the smoking experience was on. After the first few gentle drawings to establish the light, the flavoring was noticed but then disappeared to be replaced by a steady naturally flavorful smoke, consistent to the last 1/3 of the bowl. It could be a little harsh near the bottom, requiring more than one light, then resolving itself to an agreeable smoke overall for the last 1/3 to the bottom of the bowl.

The smoke is not for the faint of heart. I was first reminded of 1792 flake, but smoother, then reminded of the old Bulwark blend, but Coniston was fuller and richer in taste. The second bowl of Coniston in a smaller bowled pipe (Imperial 2 dot) was not very rewarding. About 1/2 through the smoke even drawing gently and consistently, the light went out and the relighting gave a harsher and wetter smoke. A third bowl, in a GBB Prehistoric Pot was better than the first smoke, and it stayed lit almost to the end of the bowl, that same constant smoke, very flavorful and tasty . Mu conclusions are that this flavorful tobacco is well worth the effort for the experienced smoker, but requires a larger bowl and an investment of time to properly prepare the tobacco for the pipe. Time, too, for appreciating the subtle changes in the smoke through the bowl, but it never becomes that thin smoke that some virginias can near the end of the bowl.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

One of the best Lakeland flakes and also one of the most aromatic. I'm very happy that I tried this tobacco. Full flavored tobacco that smokes cool and dry. I can't put my finger on the flavorings used in this tobacco but suffice it to say, I love it. Extremely satisfying and rich with no bite. Coniston will leave a 'footprint' in a pipe so don't smoke this in your favorite unscented virginia flake pipe. I dedicate particular pipes to Lakeland tobaccos and recommend that you do the same. Wonderful tobacco!

jopado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jopado (12)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

This is a fun tobacco. I prefer to order it in bulk so you can cellar what you want and put what you like into your rotation.

In bulk it's a broken, stringy kind of flake and the bag aroma is that of fine tobaccos. I don't find a need to rub it out futher but just kind of crunch it up and pack (gently). As with all GH I've tried so far the moisture content is dead on perfect.

Gives you a mouth full of smoke, no burn, no bite, stays lit and does not offend others (at least around my place).

It does not seem to be particular as to type of pipe, briar-meer-cob-clay, but does seem to like a medium to large bowl. A small bowl doesn't let the flavor(s) develop. You might consider layering it a pipe with a mild Virginia until you become familiar with it's burn characteristics but otherwise...go for it.

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Yes Sir!

This tobacco gets 4 stars! Very addictive taste.

Ok, the first bowls made me nauseous, and I wondered how the H?ll someone could enjoy it. to give it a fair chance, I did prevail, and after a few bowls more, this one was the first I reached for in the morning.

Much fuller taste than Dark plug, but a bit less nicotine content.

Gawith Hoggarth have yet to disapoint me

(and yes, it do smell like perfume old ladies would use to disguise the smell of piss)

Stephen Redrobe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stephen Redrobe (5)
Very Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant

By Gawith, Hoggarth & Co, of Kendal, Cumbria, England (should be easily obtainable by Americans)

A very traditional Lakeland flake (from The Lake District of Cumbria in the North West of England, famous for Wordsworth and its large lakes - not as large as the American Great Lakes, of course, but then they do actually look like lakes, rather than oceans).

It looks like a rich, dark, broken flake and smells of the cheap perfumes that old ladies in nursing homes wear to disguise the tangy aroma of piss. In other words, it smells like a good, proper, British pipe tobacco should.

It is mainly a dark, fire-cured Virginia leaf, with some Burley.

Throughout the smoke, there is a hint of a tonquin topping (tonquin is an essence, derived from the tonka bean in Guyana, which Britain used to own in the good old days, and is a fairly unique flavouring, but has a suggestion of vanilla about it. Incidentally, tonquin is banned as a food additive by the FDA in America, but then we're not going to eat the bloody stuff, are we?).

The perfumy aroma soon dissipates and the tonquin topping stays in the background to leave us with a glorious, cool, rich, powerful smoke - plenty of nicotine here - that will have even the least imaginative of us writing poetry halfway through the bowl.

In my book, it's just one stop short of, and an ideal preparation for, the mighty Condor.

PS - I have marked the 'room note' as 'pleasant', but it is appearing as 'mild' - not my intention, but hey-ho....

Steerpike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steerpike (60)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Nice strong lakeland flake tobacco, its got some of the characteristics of the ropes, but isn't so harsh, or so strong. Perhaps the diferent process involved on pressing plugs tames it a little, I find it much more approachable.

In the bag it smells faintly smokey (dark fired leaf isn't the same as Latakia, its not so heavily smoked), earthy, tobaccoey, like a rope tobacco in fact. It's quite dark, and pressed quite densely. The cut is quite thick, thicker than the Samuel Gawith flakes, which makes it burn quite cool. I could'nt smell any topping scent in the pouch.

Offers a lot in the way of flavour development. It burns well, and the flavour at first is very faintly sweet. The aroma of the smoke at this stage is decidedly sweet, faintly nutty and a little like vanilla. Maybe this is Tonka bean? Its certainly not sickly smelling like a danish aromatic. I assume that the scenting in this soaks well into the leaf, because the taste is definitely of a scented tobacco. As the smoke progresses, the taste of the topping recedes, and the earthy, very faintly smokey taste of the tobacco comes through, and builds steadily in intensity. The aroma also becomes less sweet, and more like rich tobacco at this stage. It does leave a faintly soapy aftertaste, which some may not enjoy, I find it quite pleasant.

It does not bite unless provoked, and tends to burn fairly cool, with little harshness (unlike the ropes). Drying it out a little may be a good idea, as it does gurgle sometimes. It burns really slow, and will last well even in a small pipe. It is quite strong, so a smaller pipe is good unless you really like nicotine. Smoke it out of doors, on rainy days, it makes it all seem alright.

==========UPDATE============================================

Got some more of this, as the weather in Preston is back to it's usual grim, Northern rainyness, and I'm surprised I didn't buy more sooner. Delicious stuff, and perfect on a cloudy, blustery day like today- it never overheats, never bites, you can turn your clay upside down to keep the rain out and it still smokes just fine. Very leathery, strong tasting tobacco- I notice the topping more now, right from the start slightly soapy, but in no way overwhelming the flavour of the tobacco- very nice. I started smiling as soon as I lit the first bowl!

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The aroma of smoky, dark-fired leaf controls the pouch and an herbal/floral quality is readily apparent. Though this is a "scented" tobacco, it seems to be less so than some of the other scented offerings. This sense of being less heavily scented may be due, in no small part, to the influence of the dark-fired tobaccos. Because of the concentration of the dark-fired leaf, Coniston Cut Plug (CCP) can give the impression of some power, but this power doesn't reach the strength found in the ropes and it's not quite as strong as Bosun Cut Plug.

I was not terribly drawn to this blend initially and as with many of the G&H tobaccos, it required several acquaintances before I became better accustomed to its personality. After a little time, I have become rather attached to it. I enjoy its mouth-filling, somewhat burnt, rich and nutty taste. And the slightly sweet herbal/floral component augments the overall flavor of the blend in exactly the right way. (I think that it is actually better balanced than Bosun Cut Plug). There are times when I appreciate the more mild-mannered and civil behavior of CCP over its heavier brethren. I am inclined to recommend this one more for the seasoned smoker, but it could be a very good place to start for anyone wanting to sample the G&H "Scented" varieties.

Pipe Used: Meerschaums & Small Peterson Dunmore (1979)

Similar Blends: I have seen some reviews that attempt to compare Coniston Cut Plug with Condor. To my tastes, this blend does compare slightly, but it's not quite as "dark" and strong. Bosun Cut Plug is a close cousin.