A traditional mixture comprising of the finest of Virginia tobaccos plus a hint of Louisiana Perique and a generous portion of Cyprus Latakia.

BrandPeterson
Taste
PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

If you had to pick out a problem with this new blend from Peterson then I think top of most people's list would have to be the name. This just isn't what I think of as a Balkan. For a start, there are no oriental varietals in this blend - the tin description makes no mention of them and needs updating here. To me, a Balkan with no Orientals isn't a proper Balkan, so initially we have a blend with a misleading moniker (YMMV).

I also don't think there is really that much Latakia here. No orientals and no Latakia. Not much of a Balkan then! Sure, some Latakia is definitely present, but to me the dominant force in the blend is definitely the Perique, of which there is no small quantity.

So, not a Balkan, but a VA/Per/Lat mixture with an emphasis on the peppery and pungent perique. Having gotten my criticism out of the way, it's actually pretty awesome. Plenty strong and with plenty of flavour. I have been working through my tin at a rate of knots, but as another reviewer pointed out, it never leaves me feeling unsatisfied.

Very easy smoking in terms of moisture levels and relights. It is a little rough around the edges, but it's a new blend and I am sure that a tin with a few months of age on would smooth out considerably - in fact, it would probably benefit from this much more than the Lat-bomb Balkan I expected. I think it would also be an excellent candidate for seasoning to taste with a bit of blending Latakia (something I am coming to regard as an essential in my cellar). In fact, I think I might do that this evening.

In summary. Not what I was expecting, but an excellent companion for the likes of Artisan's Blend and GH&Co Balkan Mixture, sufficiently different from both of them, but offering similar levels of flavour and vitamin N.

Definitely 3 stars. A tin with a few months might well get 4. I should order some more and find out.

Edit in Response to Gentleman Zombie: You know, I have been wondering if I had fooled myself! Like I said, there's no mention of them, but sometimes I think they are there too. Nevertheless, if so then they certainly aren't that forward to my palate.

Pipe Used: Blakemar 'bash, various cobs.

Purchased From: MySmokingShop

Similar Blends: Nothing I can recall..

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Reading the description on the tin already told me that this is no Balkan: no Orientals and/or Turkish in there. But I also like the mid-strength English style, so I bought the tin.

Tin note is nice, nutty and smoky, certainly enough Latakia for the friends of the After-Dinner kind of mixture. The cut is a somewhat varied ribbon, with about equal parts of bright, brown and black. Stuffing is, accordingly, easy, and lighting is possible without any drying time from the tin I got.

I have read some complaints that this blend burns too fast; I cannot corroborate that; for me it behaves quite well. The flavour is very nice (and definitely not what I associate with a Balkan!) and shifts around a little with sweet VA/Per highlights in between nice, sweet-smoky Latakia moments with the Perique sticking its head up.

The room note is classic English (I won't put a judgment on that. It's an English. Learn to live with that...). Anyway, this is a very nice smoke, I would say easily the equal of Nightcap, and at a better price within my usual hunting grounds.

I tend to accompany this with a Bock beer, or one of the sweeter Highland Singles.

Pipe Used: VAUEN Luxus series Rhodesian and Oom Paul

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: Pfeifen Timm, Hamburg

Similar Blends: Dunhill Nightcap.

SmileyOrb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmileyOrb (12)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Not quite what I expected in that this is a very mild tasting balkan mixture....but wait for the deepening taste as you continue to smoke! This is a nice melody of woody spice tastes and it grew in my appreciation. Good with a single malt for the evening. I have left the tin a month after opening which I know may sound scandoulous but this has matured the taste. I am having my bowl whilst writing this down.....I have tried most Petersons and Im always apprehensive as some of their mixtures are not that good. But....I count this as actually very good. Welldone Petersons.

Enjoy! :0)

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (14)

Balkan Delight is good. It's funny Peterson calls it Balkan when it has no Orientals into it. This VA/LA/PE is definitively dominated by the LA from beginning to end. The VA kick in every once in a while, bringing a sweet note to the smoking expoerience, and the PE starts manifesting itself, with its peppery notes, during the last third.

Not really complex, it's far from being monotonous. I find it balanced in its elements.

This tobacco burns extraordinarely fast for a LA/VA/PE but it's never hot.

Pipe Used: Dunhill, Chacom, Stanwell

Age When Smoked: Brand new

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

This is one of the best latakia blends ever tried! No bite, full of taste and smooth! Although not my cup of tea, I take my hut off to its high quality. I easily smoked a couple of pipes while watching a movie and I actually used the rest of the tin to give some roundness and smokiness to other blends that needed a character and nicotine touch with big success! If you like latakia you must have it! If you don't, you must try it! Well done peterson! You are back in the game again!

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)

I think the name is meant to suggest "Balkan Light," but they cannot use the word "light" in a tobacco name anymore. So they use an added syllable up front for "de-light," which the blend is for a medium English smoker. Not so much for a heavy Latakia smoker (like Odessey).

The ribbon blend is straight tobacco, cool and burns steady, but does not seem as nearly heavy or full as any Balkan I know. I personally detect a soft bed of Virginia only with a interesting flavor combo of perlque and latakia. Don't know how much. It is lighter then somewhat spicy at times from the perique-Latakia combo, but not spicy in the sense of a blend empowered by much Turkish (Durbur or Sobranie). Could be some hidden Turkish in it.

I personally like the taste (as others do) but it may be unusual to someone who is not into the Perique or favors more Latakia. The combo here comes across bitter at times, but in a good way.

So recommend as something a little different for medium English smokers. I gave it four stars rather than three as I personally do like it.

Pipe Used: Wiley devil anse and Peterson bulldog

Age When Smoked: new tins

Purchased From: Mayan Imports, N.O., LA

Similar Blends: Dunhill Nightcap (stronger) and Dorisco.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)

Well, I don't know about being Balkan but, this certainly is a Delight...As mentioned in a previous review there is no mention of Turkish/Orientals in the tin description...If they are there, they are very light...Still and all this is a tastey blend and a 'delight' to smoke.

Pipe Used: various for testing

Age When Smoked: fresh from Smokingpipes

stevie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stevie (3)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

now this is superb,plenty taste here to get your taste buds going fairly strong but not to strong I think this reminds me of the old balken sobranie my old dad used to smoke, latakia lovers will enjoy this one ,I will be buying more of this another top quality smoke from Peterson.

Pipe Used: peterson 301 smooth

Age When Smoked: new tin

Purchased From: leith pipe shop edinbourgh

crackonosh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crackonosh (7)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

One of the biggest disappointments of last months. Being a huge Latakia/Balkan/Oriental lover, I really wanted to taste this particular blend by Peterson as soon as possible. However, I haven’t noticed any of typical Balkan components during my five or six smokes. Just boring, flat mixture, not enough latakia in it at all. Just stick with Old Dublin or try much better Balkans than Delight: Gawith Hoggarth Balkan Mixture, Stanislaw Balkan Latakia or Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake (in case you don’t need any orientals).

Update: Several months later, the taste in opened tin has improved a little bit. Still not satisfying enough, but two stars seem to be fair.

Pipe Used: JanPipes Prince Spigot Sandblast

Purchased From: Austria, one of the first tins on the market

RogerDodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RogerDodger (1)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I've been moving to Balkan/English blends for the last few months and my regular burn has been Dunhill's Nightcap for a while, just recently also Gawith Hogarth's Balkan Mixture for a less intense version of the genre.

This week though, my local friendly tobacconist produced this Balkan Delight which he'd speculatively ordered in for me. I've not had much fun with Peterson baccies so far, but holy crap this stuff is perfection for my current tastes. It's immediately promoted to my Go-To-Tobacco. Yes, it's strong, but not in an aggresive way. Very full range of flavours in the taste which for me remains pretty consistent from about a quarter way through the bowl to the fine ashy conclusion. It burns cool, and I've seen just two vestas get me through the whole bowl even with a little housekeeping tamp a couple of times.

I don't need to dry it out at all even though it seems to be packed slightly moist. Even so, I get little or no gurgle in my preferred pipe - a Falcon "Coolway" briar (cheap but very good smoker) and it's not needed more than one pipecleaner during the smoke.

The tin aroma is for me nothing like the actual smoking flavours. It smells quite smokey, but I don't find that to be very present in the actual smoking of it.

I don't enjoy nicotine at all. I've put aside several tobaccos for giving me a spinny head. Nightcap for example, is to be treated with respect I find. This Balkan Delight stuff doesn't seem to be high in Nic to me, although given the types of tobaccos in this blend it surely must be quite high with it. Well if it is, I don't feel it, so I'm happy with that.

For me, this is a perfect blend. It packs easily, it behaves itself throughout, and most importantly it tastes full and quite excellent. I know I'm really enjoying the taste of a tobacco if I catch myself nodding in approval. As I have with this. Good work, Peterson.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a spicy Balkan blend that reminds me of C&D's Bayou Night, one of my favorites. The tin note is pleasant with just a whiff of smoke and chocolate. The 1st half of the bowl is complex with the latakia up front closely followed by the orientals and then the perique. The Virginias reside in the background. As the bowl progresses the perique and orientals take over and it turns into a bit of a spice bomb. Not so much to be unpleasant, but you'll definitely notice. It remains that way to the finish. Burns well and burns cool. It's a nice long lasting smoke. I can only recommend it to those who love strong blends. Others probably won't care for it. I like this blend a lot. Enough to stash a few tins in the cellar to see how well it ages.

UPDATE: 10/25/2013 The more I smoke this the more I like it. Upgrading from 3 stars to 4.

UPDATE: 12/10/13 Wow. No Orientals in this blend? I fooled myself. Ah well, it ain't the first time and it won't be the last.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (21)

Having just now finished my first tin, I have decided to write. I bought this tin some time ago and left it to sit after the first 3 pipes I smoked of it for about 4 months. I vacuum seal what I plan to let be for awhile to see how it develops having been introduced to air. I bought this during my va/per phase, solely bc it said it had perique in it on the tin. The store had run out of my standard Irish oak, as someone else in the area had taken a shine to it. The first smoke was pretty wet to my taste. I let the next few breathe a bit and it worked out better for me. After 4 months, it sang in comparison to its initial offering.

In the tin it presents as a standard peterson does, well mixed ribbon cut. There's little chunky pieces of what I think is the perique. This was my first dalliance with Latakia btw. Upon opening the tin, I was struck by how piney it smelled. A little smokey, with an underlying hint of peppery sourness that I did recognize immediately. It packed well enough, although it did better after it aged a bit.

On the char, I choked a little lol. It wasn't what I expected at all. Very smokey, and a strong whiff of the pine forests of northern Maine after a strong rain. I could almost taste the pitch, which is not pleasant if you've been meaning to taste pine sap. I let it go out while I decided whether or not to smoke it. I decided I paid 15$ for it, so I was going to give it a chance.

The smokey flavor increases as it burns down to about halfway. The pine lets up considerably after the first quarter. The perique comes through nicely in the last third, which is what I bought it for anyway. After it matured some in the tin, it performed much better with much the same taste. It burned much more cleanly and nice and dry. Excellent nic content, whether a master or novice of this art.

I would recommend this, as I have to come to appreciate it on a deep level. It is not my favorite, but it made a great transitionary blend that got me into the English varieties. Anyone who is considering trying some English, and is working mostly with va/pers or va/bur blends may find this to a great stepping stone.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin, left to sit

Purchased From: Wallingford tobacco, Wallingford ct

Similar Blends: Nothing I have tried so far.

Spitfire1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spitfire1 (9)

Very quick burning for a Latakia Tobacco. The taste is somewhat "softer" than Samuels Gawith's Balkan Flake. The burning is much quicker and the VA is sweeter. A very good Tobacco even one you could smoke the whole day long ! The only problem is the quick drying of the Tobacco ones the tin is open. I surely will keep this Tobacco in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Peterson S80 Bulldog

Age When Smoked: brand new

AE1PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AE1PT (4)

Many people seem to really enjoy this tobacco blend. I am not one of them. The tin opening note was good and heavy--filled with the promise of a satisfying smoke. My first visual observation was that the blending was rough--meaning that the majority of the Latakia was over to one side of the can. Very odd, and had not ever seen anything quite similar before.

So I mix it up a bit and let enough for a bowl dry out for about half an hour. The charring light caused the tobacco to present quickly, requiring a very quick tamp to contain tobacco that was falling out the top. On the smoking light, my disappointment began.

First, the Lat made itself known. Cyprian is a bit more forward than the Syrian I usually smoke--but this is the sort of Cyprian that has notes of burning rubber in the leading edge. Before this really sunk in the Perique showed up and in an unhappy, bitey manner. This all tamed down in a bit to a fairly tame smoke. But it seems rather muddled and to be missing 'something.'

Not to judge any tobacco on first blush, I am now almost through an entire tin. Smoked in different pipes with different chamber sizes and geometries. My opinion has not changed. To me this tobacco misses the satisfaction mark and is something that others will will need to find a liking for.

Pipe Used: Pete 8S and various others

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Balkan Delight . Very impressive ! The mix has great moisture level to it which makes for easy lighting up . Unlit , there is quite an "earthy" aroma coming from it which is actually fairly enticing in a way ! Once lit it burns very steady and not too hot . Now the smoke flavour , very enjoyable and a nice balance as you have the Virginia acting as the stage for the Perique and Latakia to dance on ! You get a wonderful spicy strength from the Perique with a satisfying Nicotine level while all along there is a sublime smokey touch from the Latakia which is very pre-eminent and doesn't get out shined . The room note is very stereotypical for this type of Tobacco but not too heavy nor unnoticeable . If you like Latakia and Perique then this will not disappoint you !

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

Shipibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shipibo (1)

Latika is dancing with Perique. Hmm, It's delicious. It is a little bit similar to Dunhill Nightcap just not too strong. Highly Recommended who loves latakia/perique.

Pipe Used: Peterson

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium Mild Mild Tolerable

As someone else has pointed out, this isn’t really a Balkan; it would be better described as a medium-strength English mixture. It’s all right, but there’s not much (apart from a dash of Perique) to distinguish it from (say) Gawith & Hoggarth’s No. 25 mixture. A bowlful doesn’t last long, either, and this is a big minus as far as I’m concerned; I like a nice long smoke. I thought from time to time that it’s not unlike Presbyterian Mixture; but I don’t have the world’s most discriminating palate. On the odd occasions when I fancy a bit of Latakia, I’d go for G&H’s No. 25 every time. Balkan Delight is recommendable, but no more so than several other Latakia mixtures. Worth a try, like anything else, but I wouldn’t queue in the rain to buy it. Sip, or it'll burn hot and bite you.

Pipe Used: Piave Rhodesian

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Enjoy! :0)

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)

The name is definitely misleading. The missing orientals would make this one a balkan blend, Peterson seems to have missed that when putting this one together. So much for truth in advertising. What they have here, it seems to me, is much more an English blend. Based on that assumption, I would say it is a very good blend that comes together nicely. It lights well, stays lit relatively easily (some relights may be needed) and is a slow burner. It burns down to a nice ash at the end of the bowl. The moisture level is quite alright. You may need to dry it for a bit first, YMMV. All in all, I would recommend this if you are looking for a nice English blend.

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Complex flavor - perique and latakia complement each other well in this blend. Retrohale delivers a nice spice along with the latakia smokiness. Burns clean. 3+.

Pipe Used: Alpha Executive 35+ years old, Grabow

Age When Smoked: B&M shelf placement date of NOV 2013 noted on tin

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Jackson, MI

ChristianBarrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChristianBarrett (1)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I was very disappointed with this blend, I thought it had little or no flavour. I attempted to smoke three bowls over three days... I have decided to cellar the remainder and return to it in the future. I am a Lat lover (bolder the better), it just didn't sing with my palette. It's getting 4* reviews, must be me!

TomekKGG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TomekKGG (1)
Medium None Detected Very Full Strong

One of the best latakia blend i ever tried. Not as strong as Dunhill RY. LA must have

The Logo-Mat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Logo-Mat (7)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Having a scotch with the wife- I lit up a bowl & half way through she retired for the night- but I stuck around to finish the tasty, smoky, lat-filled treat. I probably should have went to bed when she did- as when I was finished- I got the spins from the nic. I haven't felt that way since last year when I puffed hard on some OJK. Crazy thing is that when I woke up this morning- I went right back to the Balkan for another pipeful- just more cautious this time. It's good stuff, not for the faint of heart- but complex & nothing similar to their other offerings in round tins (Nutty Cut, etc). The lat is superb & the perique in the background, as it should be IMO. Similar to Nightcap- but different. I won't have any issues finishing the tin, provided I respect the strength. Good job Mr. Pete!

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Stronger than Nightcap, more spicy, more intense. Easy lightning and burning. At half bowl you get to the virginias and the orientals, delightfully blended. Not an all-day smoke, for most people this is just too strong. But after dinner, it's going to be a must.