Made with the same ingredients as the Black Irish X; Brown Irish X (same as twist) comes straight off the spinning machine without any additional processing. The absence of the pressure and heating process means this tobacco retains all of it's strength.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Kentucky
CutRope
Strength
Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong

3.2
SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Overwhelming Very Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

This came in a dirt-brown rope about 8" long with medium-brown highlights. I cut a 1.5" piece off and pulled it apart. I ended up with some large pieces and chopped leaf. I pulled the large pieces out into stringier shapes. The tobacco has a very low, deep aroma of nicotine with a ketchup note. I let it dry out for 15 minutes and started smoking in the Peterson bent billiard.

My head entered another dimension. It was like that Indian torture my cousin told me about in third grade, where the Indians wrap wet rawhide around the skull of some Eurocentric bastard and let it dry, squeezing his skull until it pops open. Over an hour, I managed to puff my way through half a bowl. I thought I had a high nicotine tolerance, but found myself thinking that maybe I didn't really understand what nicotine was. Maybe I hadn't really been using nicotine at all, maybe this was all a dream . . . .

. . . While my head was simultaneously resized into a chickpea and the entire cosmos, I didn't get "headspin" as I have done with 1792 Flake. I just got, like, oh, tight man, like really suffused with nicotine doing things to my mind. Was there a nicotine high beyond ordinary human consciousness? I'd ask Hunter Thompson if he weren't dead. On the other hand, if I keep smoking this, I could still ask him.

I stopped smoking. I couldn't take the fear.

Brown Irish X is very, very smooth and very, very, strong. It's a nicotine riptide. It has a slight and neutral taste -- gin, not whisky. I admired the way GH made something so smooth and so strong at the same time. Sometimes you can tell the quality of an item without much enjoying it. I've had bad tequila and tequila made by people who think tequila is a religion and I can tell the difference, even though I don't particularly like the drink. This is a great, strong tobacco made with brilliant simplicity. I'd give it 4 stars for quality, 1 star for my personal enjoyment.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Brown Irish Twist:

O.K. Troops, here goes.

First off: Strength- What is the use in denying that this is a very strong tobacco? None, it is. This robustness does not bother me in the least and if the smoker treats it with the proper respect keeping this fact in mind there should be less problems with this aspect of the tobacco.

What to do? Well first off don't smoke a bucket-sized pipe bowl of it or it will kick your butt. A medium or even a smaller sized pipe will do the trick or has for me.Obviously repeat bowls one after another is probably not a good idea either because of the strenth of the tobacco and especially the price.

This is the only gripe I have with any of the non-aromatic Kendal tobaccos I've smoked. (I don't smoke any aromatics at all as far as that goes since I have yet to find one that doesn't fall far short of the taste bud tolerance levels I've set.)

Flavoring: I don't know what this flavor is but I suspect it it just the natural flavor of the constituent tobaccos and the result of the Kendal processing they are put through.God bless'em for it!

Room Note: A non-sequitur at my house so enough said about that. (For those poor beknighted smokers that do have to put up with the objections of less amicable opinions of wives,family,friends or acquaintences you have my sympathy since it is a strong smelling tobacco when ignited.But I say go ahead and smoke it anyway---you deserve it-- and just put up with the carping and whining if you can.

Taste: What can I say? Great and fully natural as far as I've experienced during my carrer of thirty-six years of smoking a pipe.The body is there and surprisingly the aftertaste is not at all that noticeable. I suspect that the "coated tongue and palate" experience with a lot of tobaccos is the result of the non-tobacco additives and flavoring agents slathered on oterwise good tobacco(or bad tobacco, for that matter) to make it more acceptable to a wider commercial audience. As far as I am able to tell this has not happened to Brown Irish Twist and hopefully never will.

For those that don't appreciate the pre-lightup ritual of dealing with a rope, twist,plug or any other non-modern form of tobacco preparation get yourself a sharp knife(box cutter with replaceable blades, poultry shears,tin shears, aviation snips, a straight razor or any other convenient tool) and chop it up into manageable-sized chunks and throw it into an electric coffee grinder( you can get one at almost any large store for about twenty dollars-go ahead and treat yourself to one it's worth it!) and process your whole supply. Let it dry a little then Mason jar it up. Simple! This method also helps with the ignition and the cruising down the bowl smoking tremendously.

For the fledging pipers tempted to try this tobacco I sugget either a very tentative attempt with a smaller bowl and a very relaxed puffing rate. Sitting down is also advised as well as a somewhat full stomach.Also mixing this blend with a bland non-aromatic straight tobacco might work so that the flavor of the stronger Brown Irish Twist might be somewhat attenuated but still appreciable. The exact proportions of the mix might be a problem at first so the recommendation is to start off with a ratio you consider safe.

For those that just can't hack the nicotine punch or body strength despite the alleviation of mixing it with another tobacco I'd say to just stay away completely and be content with wishing you could smoke it.

You might even try Black Twist by the same company which, believe it or not is not as potent as the Brown.

Do I recommend this excellent tobacco? Most assuredly so for those that can handle it. I do not recommend it as an all day smoke(mainly because of price considerations) but with a cup of Dark Roast French coffee in the pre-dawn morning after a mild prepatory bowl of some tobacco of your own choosing it is simply,truly unbeatable.

---------The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (smokin' and boggeyin' towards the Morn)

Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

As most everyone has pointed out, Brown Irish Twist is strong. But it is downright flavorful too. BIT offers a great tobacco flavor with a Lakeland undercurrent that serves to smooth out the smoke without a hint of a bite. I can see how some could find the topping a bit medicinal, but for me it seems to add a touch of sweetness. The flavor is full and while not overly complex, the flavor and strength build throughout the bowl leaving nothing but a nice gray ash behind. Even though the topping is light, I prefer to smoke it only in pipes that are dedicated to Lakeland blends. I enjoy it most smoked on the dry side (as I do with most tobaccos) and it is wonderful with a couple of years of age on it. This tobacco isn't for everyone and not an everyday smoke for me, but is among the best in class for those seeking an excellent rope tobacco.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Brown Irish Twist or, Brown Irish X: Is full strong tobacco. This is my favorite of all strong tobaccos, weather smoked as a stand alone, or for blending. When treated with the respect it deserves, and LEARN to smoke it, it delivers excellence. For most smokers, this is not an all day smoke, but when I want a nice jump start with good complex flavor that doesn't bite my tongue, this is the one for me.

As others have mentioned, it's best smoked with something in your stomach, IF you are not used to it. Just a word of warning: If you are new to pipe smoking, this may turn you green. If you are experienced with stronger blends, you will likely enjoy it on it's own with no problems.

The raw aroma, before and after cutting is wonderfully straight strong spicy tobacco with a smokey bacon note. Quite sweet and very woody, too. Upon 2nd light the flavor begins, and I pick up cedarwood, green grapes and the back end aroma and nose of many of the black cavs that I have smoked/smoke. Very nice. The first quick note off the top of the pipe smells very nice and sweet, too. The room note is quite pleasant. On the other-hand, if you were to go town on the pipe, it may ruin the room air. I always have a flow-through in the room, so it always smells nice.

You may want to let it dry out for a little while, or it will take a month of Sundays to get it lite. Actually, I like it cut and smoked straight off the rope; put it down from time to time to rest the pipe and palate. It tastes best when doing so, and who cares how many lites you take. For me all that matters is flavor, and several lites don't bother me because I use a Zippo. To purists, this may be sacrilege. To me, wood matches are a big mess; ruin the room note, and are far too expense. But, whatever floats you down the river. Regardless, it will eventually stay lit; burn slowly and evenly, but will tar out to a harsh dottle at the bottom. I cool the pipe and pop it out at that point because the flavor is long gone.

I tend to smoke smaller amounts. The smaller the bowl, the better. Also, choose a pipe dedicated souly to this rope, because it leaves a strong ghost in the briar.

For trimming a load off the rope, do yourself a favor and buy a pair of Fiskars Micro-tip Blade pruning snips. They are super sharp; easy to wield and are good for cutting all tobaccos; not just rope or twist, and will last a long time for only 10 bucks at Home Depot gardening. Suggestion: snip off some chips and let them stand for 10 or so. Rub. 5-10 more and rub out the remainder. It should be just right for dropping in and will lite easier and will stay lit.

The nicotine is nice, so if good nic and true full flavor is a part of your smoking pleasure, then this is one you may very well enjoy. The entire ago-old experience is one of tradition: from cutting, to rubbing out, to packing and smoking. For those less patient that are looking for light sweet quick smoking blends, this is not recommended, but those that are religious about the traditional pipe, it is nothing short of exotic.

One last thing gents: this is a super top-end for creating your own fuller blends. IT IS AN EXCELLENT ENHANCER, or medium base that adds wonderful complexity. Mix a third of this with lemon or orange Virginias, and some Cyprian Latakia or oriental; the sky is the limit, really. You will be blown away at it's versatility. For a quick toned-down smoke, I cut a little off the rope and add a pinch of Eastern Carolina Ribbon. It doesn't change the good spiciness of the Irish, and is a far more mellow smoke.

who broke my clay pipe? Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
who broke my clay pipe? (45)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Being a fan of "Samuel Gawith Brown #4" i have been eager to taste this contemporary offering by Gawith & Hoggarth of Brown Irish Twist.

I purchased 50g in a loose pouch in a recent tobacco purchase binge(first time i have purchased loose bulk rather than a tin but i now have some kilner jars for jarring and aging).

Slightly darker and shinier on the outside and dryer than SG's, but the appearance is almost identical;a @3/4" inch diameter of twisted brown rope.

The pouch scent is mild like a light cigar and slightly spicy and not as manure-esque(dungy leathery) as SG'S #4.(i do like my dungy smelly shit)

For this taste trial i used a "the smoke" graduate shape pyrolytic liner pipe(those ones from the early 70's) I cut a few discs about the thickness of a british pound coin and tore and rubbed it into a pliant bundle and filled. Like SG ropes (or perhaps just ropes in general)it takes a few matches to get going but easier to burn than the black ropes(SG or GH).

Its been a while since i have a had a brown rope and its been an itch in long need of a good scratching. For the first ignition puffs i get an archetypal brown rope taste that i am already familiar with,and no surprises here(i wasn't really expecting any and didn't want anything too different either really) Reaquainting myself with an old friend under a different brand name and packaging,i began to wonder what if any difference was there between GH's brown irish and SG's brown #4? The taste was so simular that i could almost say it tasted like SG brown #4 made on a different day(which doesn't give me any complaints), but then it started to reveal a difference which pleased me because i still wanted it to have a little difference but not too different or unbrown ropeish.

Its slightly milder on the nicotine than SG, i could feel that even before i had worked out the taste difference yet. The diffence manifests itself during the bowl progression which builds up steadily to creat the finale experience(crecendo might be the word).

Basically irish twist has a savoury spice element akin to BBQ sauce or a brown spice sauce ala "daddies" or "hp brown" hint to it which is absent in the SG brown#4.

Near the end of the bowl the spice becomes quite a prominent identity of this rope which separates its persona from its simular identity twin SG #4 which has a creamier milky rubbery heavy cigarish finale. Irish twist is also slightly sweeter compared to brown #4(not that either of them are really sweet TBH)

Having two simular tasting ropes on the market is insurance against one or the other discontinuing its product in the future and also offers a choice of two slightly different tastes on a simular theme in the meantime while both are still available options.

I will definately keep some of this on hand in future,both this and SG#4 satisfy my brown rope urge within a nats cock of satisfaction,that as long as i have atleast one, i won't feel i am really missing the other that much but;at this time i think i give the edge to SG purely because of its nicotine punch(i am a masochist and feel that nicoteen is the decider rather than taste).

This was a trial that needed to be done incase i was missing out out on something better, but as it is i am not,but i am glad i know that they are both good ropes and i have now tasted the best contenders of the pure brown rope archetype/genre.

The burning performance and ash aftermath are the same as SG which is low maintenance,dry and no dottle.

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Very Strong Strong Full Strong

Yow! After the boiled, baked & bar-b-q flavour assault course that is the Black Irish, this strikes me at first as a slightly more civilised way to get an almighty nicotine whump. It's reminiscent of the Black but - despite being stronger N-wise - seems to have a very bold meaty, spicy chilli & cigar-like flavour that's marked and idiosyncratic rather than overwhelming, bizarre and unapproachable. You couldn't say it was smooth, no-one will be queuing up to kiss or cuddle you after smoking this and it certainly does seem as though it'll bite you if you're not very cautious with it. It's both a little reluctant to burn at first and then rather too keen to burn when it gets going. But with the N-power that this has under the hood it seems no bad thing at all to keep your wellie off the pedal a wee bit.

This with a glass or two of Maker's Mark would be rather splendid, I think.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I am not smart enough to decipher the review immediately above mine, but the final result is that this offering and my palate do not get along either.

While G&H Blends seem to have a central theme running through them, this one meandered off in a different direction. It was harsh and somewhat nondescript as I recently worked my way through a bowl. It did burn well and even a tad fast for its style of cut and moisture level. I suspect those searching for more flavor might puff too hard and get a nip with this rope.

If you like the taste of burnt grass, a nice hit of nicotine and a throat tickle, here you go.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

It is said that this is the uncooked version of the black rope. I guess it could be, but there is a profound difference in the flavors of the two. Brown Twist was much more harsh and had a cigar-like taste to it.

If this is indeed the heaviest hitter out there, nicotine-wise, I guess I have nothing to fear from any tobacco. Yes, I noticed something, but not the 'knock you for a loop' power I had heard about.

I have to comment on the appearance... I was out of town when the box arrived. My wife opened it and thought that a practical joker type friend of mine had sent some 'ropes' produced by his dog.

Labor intensive tobacco, the taste does not justify the effort of preparation. I can't see this as more than a novelty smoke from time to time - a throwback to the old days.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Strong Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very strong tobacco in the Nic department. I like this blend because i can have a small bowl of it in a short amount of time and afterward i feel like i smoked a large bowl of Nightcap. Perfect for a lunch break at work! I don't like it as much as the coconut twist because it doesn't have that slight sweetness I find I have come to like about the Coconut twist, Other than that it's virtually the same exact tobacco. I can see myself mixing a small amount of this with some aromatics that are on the weak side to kick them up a notch. It does have a little cigar type of flavor to it but it's not too overpowering. Also be sure to rub it out good and let it dry a little and it will burn good with a re-light or 2. I'm giving it 2 stars because I like the slightly topped versions of this blend a little more than this one.

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

StrongMixturesOnly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StrongMixturesOnly (17)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This rope tobacco is hard-hitting in terms of nicotine content. With that said, it is wonderfully potent and has all the charm you would expect from a full strength tobacco. I recommend sitting down while smoking because it will hit hard. Avoid driving or machinery use until you know how it will affect you. It also mellows nice with age. It will lose some of it's strength, not much, and will become a bit sweeter to the taste. Highly recommended.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 58;

Rated Percentage = 97%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, slight After Taste, White Ash Burn.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I'll tell you right off the bat I chew this. It's not a bad smoke if you like strong full bodied tobacco taste with hard nic, so deffanitly try it. I, on the other hand found myself enjoying this blend better as a chew. Just cut a moderate piece off with an old cigar cutter and bingo!

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Extremely Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I had decided to not smoke a pipe today, or at the very least, to smoke sparingly. As soon as USPS arrived with a box from my favorite tobacconist, that resolution went out the window.

Inside the box was 4 oz. of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s Brown Irish X. There was little use to resist the tempation - I had to give this brown Irish nicotene monster a whirl. Appearance wise, this is interesting stuff. I was raised on a tobacco farm in North Carolina, and it was gratifying to see a dark, natural, beautifully prepared leaf tobacco again.

Preparation? I was standing at the kitchen counter so I grabbed a pair of poultry shears. I pulled off one loose leaf intact and cut this into manageable ribbons, about an eight inch thick. This went easily into an old vintage briar that I had just received via eBay. I filled the bowl about 3/4 full, and after a little tamping, I ended up with a good half bowl, which was my goal.

Lighting? A bear! Light. Puff. Go out. Light. Puff. Go out. More tamping. The tobacco does take a light easily, and there is copious smoke. It burns cools.

Taste? Aaargh. Very harsh to begin. Strong is an understatement. Smoke in the back of my throat almost choked me. Thank goodness for strong black coffee.

Mid bowl? Interestingly, the tobacco taste mellows out when this gets to burning well. I found a creamy, salty, slightly sweet taste emerged. A strong straight tobacco taste. Very nice.

Nicotene hit? I used to smoke VSG and Opus X cigars back in the day, so STRONG tobacco suits my taste. This tobacco didn't give my any problems. I was waiting to turn green, but it didn't happen. No stomach gurgles, or a run to the bathroom either. I smoked this on a full stomach after lunch.

Summary: I find this tobacco to be a full bodied, rich, straight up, pleasing smoke. I love the saltiness, the creamy taste, and the overall power exhibited. This started out as Mr. Hyde, and turned into Mr. Jekyll, which is a pleasant surprise.

I was more than a little apprehensive about smoking this tobacco from all the reviews that I had read, but at this point, I can see a large bulk purchase in my future - if the stuff ever gets back into stock. Recommended for experienced, hairy chested pipe smokers who like a powerful straight up enjoyable experience. This is good, high quality tobacco. Good stuff!

Recommendation: Start with half a bowl. Puff slowly. Make sure you've eaten first. Enjoy! Repeat as necessary....

BROWN IRISH TWIST REDUX, the following day:

I ate a large late breakfast, and I decided to give this another try. Mistake #1. I cut up what I thought would be half a bowl, but it ended up being more than a bowls worth. I packed it anyway, and probably too tightly, and put the remainer back into the bag. Mistake #2 & #3.

I gave the ribbons that I cut about an hour to dry, but it was still tough going getting this to burn properly. I probably overpuffed the pipe trying to get it going. Mistake #4.

Results of my stupidity? Two urgent trips to the bathroom, and a little green around the gills. I had to but the pipe down. Relights after all the above waits resulted in a harsh vile taste.

As I sit here, sipping a bowl of Frog Morton's cellar out of a newly refurbished Jobey Dansk freestyle, I have to ask myself, "what's the point of subjecting myself to a super strong tobacco that pretty much only serves as a nicotene transfer system?" The Frog Morton is so much more enjoyable, whereas the Brown Irish Twist is pretty much Russian Roulette.

Rating reduced to two stars. YMMV.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (53)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Great full bodied smoke. It will ghost a pipe so make sure you can devote at least 1 to the genre. This is the only tobacco I have found that I cannot smoke on an empty stomach early in the morning, the Nick kick is just too much. Nice flavors throughout meaty and earthy. A completely different VA and my first rope. I will be buying more. It should age very well. Great for an after dinner smoke to relax for the evening.

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)
Very Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

As with all the GH&C ropes, this is another fine old-world tobacco which is well-mannered and of superb quality.

Make noi mistake about it, this is a STRONG tobacco. If you think Irish Flake and 1792 are strong....you might not be ready for this Brown Irish X!

It has a pure tobacco taste and is very similar to Sam Gawith's Brown Rope #4, except that Brown Irish X is more refined (or sophisticated); smoother and more flavorful.

As is the case with all strong yet high-quality tobaccos, this is not a kick-you-in-the-face and punch-you-in-the-stomach strong. The nic will definitely manifest itself after you've smoked a bit....but it is not at all harsh; and despite it being about the strongest tobacco I've yet to find, it does not even require an accompanying drink.

I love the high-strength and the good manners...but ultimately, I like some of the other GH&C offerings better, simply because they have more taste and even more body (such as black Irish X)

If you're looking for a very strong yet good-mannered tobacco, with an understated old-world pure tobacco taste, give this a try.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Yes another great twist by G/H, 4++++ from me on this one, a must try like all there Twists & Ropes.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

hey de paso por gringo why you so green -Been Smoking this and downing shots of everclear cause i thought it was a good idea. Recommended with caution. No I'm only joking, I smoke 10 bowls of this a day haha

Pipe Puffington Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Puffington (17)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

I like strong tobacco. This fits the bill perfect. I also have been mixing this with G.H. & Co. Black XX. I do a couple quarter size slices put them in the coffee grinder for a zap or two and let dry for a couple hours. Either way, with or without the Black XX it has to dry or it won't stay lit. BTW the Brown is certainly stronger then Black. But I'll review Black later.

Medium sized bowl, loose pack works best for me. Tons of smoke with few relights. It does seem to mellow towards the end. But overall its not over the top strong to begin with for me being an ex cig smoker. Its got just the right punch for me. Room note favors the strong side. So probably not the best choice if your trying to make friends. I recommend this if you like it full flavor.

atlassmug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atlassmug (3)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

I received a 1oz. sampling of both brown and black irish twist. I enjoyed every aspect of this tobacco including the pre-light ritual of slicing and rubbing-out. The brown has a wonderful flavor, smokes well, has a rich and creamy smoke that can send one to dreamland. I will definitely buy more as well as add it to my favorites. Not so with the black however, but that is a different story. What I like most, as well as being a great smoke, is that this has that effect of being unchanged for so long (I am told) that it provides a link to the past in a way that few things do anymore.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sliced thin, then rubbed out between palms works best for me. Very earthy taste and the only tobacco that gave me hiccups not for everyday as I like my tolerance for nicotine to stay below what this one offers so I can smoke it for a late night buzz every now and then.

Monopod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Monopod (23)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant

This could have defied identification had I found it on the floor somewhere. It could have been an ill-treated cigar or something that had been left by a "medium-bore" dog.

I trim it into crescent-shaped bits around the circumference, and with no further ado, it goes in with a light tamp and smokes trouble-free with one or two lights. Maybe I'm just getting more adept at this pipe-smoking thing (?)

I can't resist saying that " if you're a cigar-lover, then try this baccy." It always makes me cringe when other people say it, but mixed with well-crumbled stogies ?? Re-cycling at it's absolute best. OK, so I'm a tight-wad, but us pensioners have to smoke on a low budget these days, and if the end product is acceptable ( which this particular trick is for me ) what the hell ??

Add this one to my "grave-Goods" when I go Dear. I'll smoke it when Old Nick gives me a break from the cess-pits.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

To quote one of the characters in the film 'Predator', "This stuff will make you a God damned sexual Tyrannosaurus!"

Well, if I recall he was actually referring to his chewing tobacco and whilst I cannot genuinely claim that smoking Brown Twist has done wonders for my love life, I can't help feeling that there is a certain degree of machismo involved in smoking a pipe weed that packs such an overwhelming nicotine punch.

Seriously though, don't let fear of its undeniable potency put you off. This is, to my mind, tobacco in one of its most unadulterated and traditional forms. That alone should be reason enough for every pipesmoker to give it a try at least once.

The flavour is fairly unique: slightly salty, slightly sweet and I agree with the spicy, cigar notes that others have mentioned. Whatever subtle elements might contribute to the taste, it's mainly all about tobacco and it's there in spades, making for a full and satisfying smoke. It is a little harsh at times, but for me that is just part of the charm of this old school tobacco.

The room note also reminds me slightly of barbecue sauce but I'm a vegetarian so what do I know?

Unlike some other reviewers I do find that it benefits from a couple of minutes drying time before loading the pipe, but not too much. Three coins, sliced off with a sharp knife, are sufficient to fill the bowl of my Peterson silver spigot and provide me with about an hour and a half of nicotine induced relaxation. The relights are more frequent than with some other tobaccos, but not onerous.

I try and save this one for a weekend treat, but the fact is that I enjoy it too much to reserve it for these occasions. I can concede that it probably isn't for everyone, but I think that many folks will be pleasantly surprised. Definitely recommended for everyone at least once.

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

This has a stout all tobacco taste and is a bit harsh unlike its counterpart Brown Bogie which I think is smoother and not harsh. I find that this is a hair stronger than BB but it might just be its harshness. Although I prefer BB over this I'll always have some on hand for when I want a stouter smoke.

Kahlenz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kahlenz (2)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is currently my favorite tobacco, but I only smoke it occasionally. It requires a little time for its preparation, and can leave your head spinning a bit. I smoke this when I can sit down and give the whole process a little attention, and when I don't have anything really pressing to do afterward. The stuff smells like fresh cured tobacco; a bit like a good quality cigar. I cut it into little coins, rub it out a bit, and stuff it in my pipe. Takes a bit to fire it up, but stays lit after I get a bowl going (I find that if I leave it out to dry it gets too dry - I smoke it fresh after cutting it off). While smoking the flavors are spicy and floral, again, not unlike a good cigar, but without the strong cigar aroma and not as creamy. For a flat-out top quality Virginia tobacco smoking experience, I recommend this stuff. For somebody that wants a baseline to compare other Virginias, especially plugs, twist, flake and cake cuts, this is the stuff. Smoker beware, however, this tobacco packs a formidable nicotine punch!

The Full English Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Full English (31)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

A relatively dry plug of rope in mottled shades of brown. It reveals a rather sour and nutty pouch aroma, and is a lot more brittle than some other pressed rope/plugs on the market.

This is British Lakeland tobacco in its original, raw glory, and it peels open relatively easily to show its formation of large chunks of tobacco leaf. It's a bit like stepping back two hundred years into the past, but all reminiscing aside, this is a swine to light up, requires many attempts at re-lighting, and continues to burn rather badly until the end. Quite a feat for something that seemed pretty dry. If you leave it to air, it burns much better, but the taste is even harsher on the palette than you get straight out of the bag. I expected much, much more from G&H, given the proud heritage of this particular tobacco, but one could be forgiven for thinking that the only thing to happen in those two hundred years we spoke about earlier, is that this little dollop of dung sat, festering in a pig shed.

Way too temperamental in every bowl I tried; I really can't really find a redeeming feature. Rough, harsh, and with a flat, monotone flavour that merely tickles and grates: it doesn't even try to be the flagship weed it's supposed to be.

Juna Gu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Juna Gu (31)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This will put hair on your chest, your toes and quite possibly the palms of your hands (watch out lady smokers!). When I got back into the pipe I got straight into this after realising that most of the main tobacos available at the one and only tobacconist in town had all been bought up by big companies and changed, so I decided that I'd go for purity. The local tobaconist doesn't stock many flakes but always has the black and brown twists in. I'm not sure if what I've got is the Bogie, to be honest, but I'm not sure how much difference there is either. But they sell it as twist so.....I guess this is what it is. The preparation isn't all that bad, slice a few discs and then feed them into the pipe. I've learned to pack very lightly. It needs air.

It's strong (oh I see someone else has mentioned that already :-o) Niccups after half a bowl. And what I've come to appreciate as enforced breaks, when it goes out because my concentration flies out the window. Hmmm, perhaps I'd better just put the pipe down for a moment, like it is suggesting I do. This stuff talks to me. It says "reet there marra'" and then it makes its statement in a direct and succinct manner, straight talking. It's not being difficult or rude by going out. It isn't going anywhere. I think this stuff is quite easy to form a relationship with.

Pragmatism! That's what it teaches. Let's not beat around the bush nor wax lyrical nor go chasing after rainbows. Dry, bluff humour. Westmorland humour!

When I initially light this up it's usually quite caustic for a few moments but then it mellows a bit. Has a sort of tanning feel to the mouth. But dry and pretty cool really. There is a deep taste in there. Quite a clean aftertaste, no gloop at all.

And in these freezing temperatures the late night garage run amongst the hobgoblins and piskies is thankfully kept short with this one.

I like it, quite a lot, but I don't think I'll be making it a regular smoke. However, it is an intrinsic part of my stash.

late-nitedrydrunk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
late-nitedrydrunk (10)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Strong

One of my staples. While to me Brown Irish Twist doesn't seem quite as strong as SG Brown #4, it can still pack a punch especially when properly rubbed out and smoked in a large bowl pipe. To prepare it I'll use a sharp knife and slice off some coins about the thickness of a nickel, cut the coins in half, rub them out fully then let the tobacco dry for about an hour. That's all. Smokes well as it does cool in any pipe. The velvety texture and uniformly brown color of the outer leaf of the twist is evidence of the quality. My only gripe is that it tends to oxidize and turn dark if stored for some time. I taste some floral notes, a little mustiness, but none of the strong "soapiness" often associated with Lakeland tobaccos. Smelling straight from the jar I detect a strong resemblence to Dark Birdseye, however upon smoking each has similar but individually unique characteristics.

I also use Brown Irish Twist to "fortify" other mixtures as it tends to blend very well. It's also good dried out, thrown in a coffee grinder and whiffed up the nose.

Milverton68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Milverton68 (2)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This tobacco is easy to smoke. It has a cigar flavour when smoking. I could smoke it all day but for the strong nicotine content. It's very kind to your mouth. Great tobacco a wack of nicotine so I wouldn't fill your biggest bowl with this one. Go on give it a go I think you will enjoy it.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (110)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

O Lord, but this is strong!! I bought some because I was feeling in the mood for a powerful and substantial smoke, and that's what I got. I don't regret it, but I have to admit that this mighty baccy has given me some thoughtful and perilous moments. Brown Irish Twist is a good deal too strong for me; I can't smoke a whole bowl of it at once. It should certainly be avoided by the beginner.

So: if you want a real nicotine belt and you like a pronounced cigar-type taste, this is the chap for you; otherwise, avoid it! My main moan about it is the number of relights it takes - but maybe that's just because I'm inexperienced with it. I don't detect any artificial flavouring; if this is cased, I don't know what with: just pure, eye-watering baccy.

Brown Irish Twist is a splendid, old-fashioned smoke if you're in the mood: a bit harsh if you're not careful with it, but cool, slow, full of flavour and with a wicked, bare-knuckle punch. Needless to say, it's an acquired taste and certainly not for the faint-hearted. I'm happy to recommend it as a straightforward, honest pipe tobacco, but with these reservations/warnings. You WILL feel your brain-cells dying and your lungs shrivelling.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

Brown Irish X Twist unsliced is a full-bodied Kendal tobacco that leaves my wife snickering. This venerable twist of leaves rewards me like the other Kendal twists. In a suitable pipe it burns cool and dry with few relights. Smoked slowly it will never bite, but it will deliver a delightful tobacco taste that only Kendal tobaccos can. Slice off some. Rub it out. Fill the pipe. Light it and gingerly sip away. No rocket science involved. These Kendal tobaccos are straight out, double clutching, E-flat delicious and satisfying.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing BIT to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

eichenlaub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eichenlaub (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I really wanted to like this tobacco as I love many of the other Gawith Hoggarth offerings but this one just does not do it for me. I found it to be very thin on flavor, almost flavorless and the nicotine hit was not near as strong as I was expected. I found this to be considerably less strong nico wise than dark flake unscented for instance. This does however make a decent chew so I will use the rest for that.

TheGreatPawnHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheGreatPawnHunter (5)
Extremely Strong Very Mild Mild Pleasant

My father from Ireland used to tell me of smoking tobacco like this, his father also smoked it as well. They called them "rat tail" tobaccos because they came in a coil. This is a powerful virginia, extremely full strength. Best when smoked on a full stomach. However, the Irish have a love for blending and I have inherited my father's sweet tooth and so I mix 1 to 2 parts Black Rasberry to two to three parts Brown Irish Twist. It keeps me in with the neighbors and they don't have to hear primal nicotine screams late at night. Don't stand near the railing while smoking this blend or you will end up weeding the garden. Cut this with a pocket knife in 1/8th inch slices and put them through an inexpensive tobacco grinder and your good to go.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My first couple of attempts to ready this tobacco for pipe were dissapointing, I tried thin slicing it and rubbing it out like I do with Mac's dark twist roll cake, but this didnt work, the best I could manage was large clumps, not fit for maintaining a proper light, however, after much experimenting, I have finally found that using a pair of scissors to slice small chunks from the edges of the rope, then rubbing out normally as you would do a virginia flake, produced the perfect consistancy for both lighting and smoking.

I have a super tolerance for nicotine, so that isnt a problem for me personally, the flavor when puffed correctly=slowly was really nice,and like no other blend I have yet tried, this is a great baccy to dedicate a pipe to as it is strong, and the last bowl smoked will haunt the briar.

It's not for the women and children to smoke, but for those with a jones for a nice REAL tobacco flavor and not afraid of the beautiful Lady Nicotine. ENJOY

Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

I think this may be like smoking a Camel straight (non-filter) while chewing tobacco at the same time. Recommended for those who are never quite satisfied with their regular smoke.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco is a blast from the past. Back in the old days the twist form of tobacco was quite prominent. I had not come across twist tobacco since I bought some twist chewing tobacco, while in Kentucky. The twist that's made for chewing is known as a pigtail in the southern U.S. and the smoking version (a bit thicker)is known as a rope. Gawith & Hoggarth make a variety of excellent twist tobaccos and the most robust is Brown Irish. When smoking this one I prefer to slice the rope to 2-3mm thick per slice. Then I cut each slice into 4 quarters and rub it out thoroughly. This yeilds a smoke that burns quite consistantly the entire duration of the bowl. I smoke this stuff straight-up and blended, as I have mentioned in the other reviews of G & H tobacco. When smoked solo, the tobacco gives of a nice spicy-floral aroma that is both pleasing to the smokers and those in his or her company. This tobacco is a gem from the olden days of top-knotch natural tobaccos. I would encourage all smokers to give this tobacco a try and ignore its classification as being brutal and relatively unsmokable. I love it.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Strong Medium Very Full Strong

I enjoy no-nonsense full flavored tobaccos and GH Brown Rope fills that description nicely. There is the "standard" GH scent which seems to accompany many of their tobacs. The flavor is very similar to Dark Birdseye except it's not as rich and a bit more peppery. When dry, smoke very slowly or you'll get a bit of a nasty taste. One of my regulars.

batfastard123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
batfastard123 (10)
Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Ok strenghtwise this is supposed to be the Great-Grandaddy of them all, keeping this in mind I proceeded to cut off some slices of this tobacco to try. I crumbled up the pieces and loaded up my test pipe, I calmly lit up the concoction and smoked away. Wow what a surprise, talk about full unadulterated tobacco flavor, this is it, it is very strong but in no way overpowering, just true flavor and yes it does have a nicotine kick, not overpowering again, but a nice strong kick. Just the thing to get your attention. This is an addictive smoke, it leaves you wanting more. It is true tobacco in it's purest form, not anything apologetic or subdued about this one, just raw power. A 10 out of 10 for this one based on flavor, history and longevity. Try this one, and if you like it, pass it on to a friend, keep the tradition alive.

Dogface Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dogface (2)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As tobaccos go, this is a straight-up single malt scotch or a small-batch bourbon. Good flavor and lots of it, with a nice kick added. If your tastes run to the soft and mild, you will not like it. It is a powerful, sweet, tobacco-ee blend of long leaf. The twist invariably comes fairly wet, so you will need to cut off disks and let them dry before smoking. It has a huge flavor and a lot of power. If you have been accidentally inhaling tobacco smoke, you will immediately realize it with this blend. Do not operate heavy machinery while smoking. I am not joking. I have found that this smokes better in a clay pipe than in a briar.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

Ack! Yuck! I have smoked this stuff in sliced, rope, and aromatic forms, and I can't tolerate any of them. The smoke is so sharp that it feels toxic/caustic. There is a single, very narrow flavor without a hint of nuance, sweetness or anything else. This might make a decent (thin) cigar wrapper, but it doesn't belong in my pipe, at least not straight. The Black Irish Twist made by GH is pretty good due to a bit of steaming and aging, but this stuff is like sipping grain alcohol straight. The nicotine is huge, but being forewarned I avoided trouble of that nature.

To be fair, I did find a use for this. I keep it on hand to add to "party" blends, usually ten parts aromatic to 5 parts sweet virginia to one part Brown Twist. Still, I'd part with it very quickly if someone wanted it in trade.

Any takers?

Haiku Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haiku (5)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This tobacco is made in England from the finest Virginia tobaccos. It is a twist/rope cut like the name says. When it is "fresh" it is really moist and compact so it needs to be dried before loading it to the bowl. It is easy to cut with a sharp knife to small discs and then rub it out to smaller pieces. The twist is really good looking and the aroma of the fresh tobacco is really wonderful, you can enjoy this tobacco by just watching it and imagening how it will taste. This is a strong tobacco, so I recommend it to be smoked in a small to medium size bowl and at least in the beginning it should be smoked after a good meal or it might make you feel sick. Lighting is easy and the first few buffs tell you that this tobacco has potential to knock anybody down. The aroma of burning tobacco is sweet from the beginning and stays like it to the very end. After a few smokes the taste settles down and tobacco starts to smoke so smoothly... just close your eyes and ejoy it. The burning is really good and it forms an even white ash. After 30min. of intense smoking I can feel the nicotin affecting, I feel like I would have taken a few drinks. Wow! When the tobacco has burned to end all I can do is to sit and wonder the amazing affect this wonderful smoke has made into me. Without any hesitation I can recommend Brown Irish Twist to anyone who likes natural strong virginia tobacco.