Pack a bowl and head down to 7th Avenue in Park Slope and you’ll end up like the pied piper of Brooklyn. The super pleasing aromas captivate in the air, but the exotic blend of tobaccos is what has you coming back for more and more.

Notes: 2013 IPCPR release

2.7
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (105)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Wow I have not had any other Drew Estate's blends before so I did not know what to expect. When you open the tin the tobacco is wrapped ala Dunhill with paper wrapped over a circular card, the aroma is outstanding!!! Well it should be as this is Macbaren's vanilla cream in the cut, the flavor and the aroma. First the cut, its a mix of ribbon and broken flake in browns and blondes with a smattering of black leaf. The aroma is Vanilla Cream IE: Vanilla Bean and an apricot hint. This flavor is used by Macbaren and Planta and Thomas Radford's, these Scandinavian Aromatics are interchangeable once you take away the packaging. Now unlike vanilla cream I can smoke this without it turning into a furnace so that is one difference and the PH is different as this does not bite me. So it comes down to price for me, Vanilla cream is a buck or two cheaper for the 1.76 ounce tin but either way you will get your vanilla fix and others will compliment you on the INCREDIBLE room note....

Pipe Used: Cob

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Vanilla Cream Loose Cut, Planta - Danish Black Vanilla, Planta - Black Vanilla Mixture, Planta - Danish Black Vanilla Flake.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (60)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a lover of natural tobaccos and my favorites are aged Virginias and VaPers. I thought I'd mix it up and add a little perfumed bacca to my smoke arsenal. The only aromatic I own just so happens to be another Drew Estate (Central Park Stroll) and I've learned to really appreciate the blend so I thought I'd give ol' Blondie here a stroll around the block.

I'm pleasantly surprised. Upon opening the tin I found a blend that resembled an English style mix like Squadren Leader. Several colors of brown to Dark Cavendish are mixed in with bright Va. If you couldn't smell a thing you would think you were about to smoke Hearth and Home Black House or Squadren Leader. Purchasing this tin I had a least 3 assumptions that proved to be not true at all.

1. I expected a tin full of straight black cavendish coated in Vanilla flavoring. Not so. There is a nice variety of leaf and colors represented here.

2. I expected to be bombarded with a strong over the top Vanilla smell. Not true. When I cracked the tin the fragrance was decent but not over the top or overpowering.

3. I expected Vanilla, Vanilla, Vanilla. Not true... Actually, "Caramel" dominates first then Vanilla and maybe a hint of something like pineapple. When I asked several people what they smelled, they said Caramel not Vanilla. When I said, "It's a Vanilla blend" they thought and then remarked, "Yeah, I can see that."

The loose cut packs great. The tobacco lights super fast and easy without a lot of pre-lights. The fragrance is great for me and everyone around me. Though this is an aromatic I do get my fix of natural tobacco here and there, as they do sometimes shine through. I'm impressed. I'm glad I purchased this tin. Blondie is coming home with me.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: Jr Cigars

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (20)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like a milder vanilla aromatic at times, and this one does not overpower you with the topping. Burns well, smokes light and is very pleasing as an all day blend. Not my favorite of the Drew Estate line, but one that I would recommend you try.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Flame Grain

Age When Smoked: 1 month

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (9)
Very Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is a Vanilla based blend that seems to improve as the tobacco dries out. I think the proper approach to this tobacco is to open the tin and leave the cover off for at least 30 minutes the first time it is smoked. It has a lot of flavor, but the added flavorings can seem strong initially.

Pipe Used: RAW Half bent Billiard, Dr. Grabow Grand Duke

Purchased From: Indian traders Grand Rapids MI

Palermo09 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Palermo09 (20)
Mild Very Strong Mild Pleasant

I occasionally smoke aromatics and really enjoy a few. 7th Avenue is not one of them. A strongly cased black cavensidh dominates the flavor, with an overwhelming vanilla flavor reminiscent of Mac Baren Vanilla blends. Too sweet and lacking much natural tobacco flavor for my taste. Smoked OK a little wet. I doubt I will ever finish the tin I have.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Strong

Almost didnt get this blend from tin to pipe based off tin note alone-it is by far the most OBnoxious over-the-top note ever! How bad was it you ask?

Within 30 minutes of opening the tin in our great room, the better 1/2 ordered it sequestered. [Thats a first btw. The fact that I wholeheartedly agreed was also a first]. I ended up placing 3/4 in a sealed pint jar, and aired the remainder outdoors for 6-8 hours fluffed up in the open tin....this did the trick, although the porch note effused cheap inscence.

The now toned-down scent was one of vanilla-caramel, possibly maply/rum like, but not medicinally like before. Initially it was Glade Plug In unbearable.

Its a motley crew of leaf this stuff, very light blondes to black cav and many hues in between. I cant easily define the cut-hence the "motley". The blonds are actual flat leaf, rather large chunks. There is shag cav, but there is broken flake i think as well.

Following sequestration,.the bowls pack well, not too tightly due to the blending, at most a mid sized Meer only required 3 lights to blackened ash, a MizzMeer only one from char to finish.

Their is vanilla in 7th Ave., but fine tobacco flavor too. Virginias and Orientals? come and go throughout, but always present is smooth french vanillas. Smooth, copious amount of creamy smoke with sipping -the only way to respect aromatics is to sip. Very good mouth feel and taste.

Its my first vanilla aro, but like G&H Top Black Cherry, it'll likely be my only one :). Only reason I dont give it 4 of 4 is that the wife hates it, even the toned-down porch note is offensive to her. That and the obnoxious initial odor. I will order more. Current Rotation- Solani 633, Dunhill Nightcap, Davidkff Scottish Mkxture, and now this :)

Pipe Used: Meer, Missouri Meer

Age When Smoked: New Tin, no age

Purchased From: Pipes Cigars.com

Epicurator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicurator (3)

When I learned Drew Estate was coming to the world of pipe tobacco, I had to grab a tin ASAP. While I love English blends as much as the next guy, I figured I would make my first foray into this new line with an aromatic. Thus, we have 7th Avenue Blonde.

Upon cracking the tin, you get vanilla. It is an interesting, smooth, and earthy vanilla. In fact, it's unlike any other vanilla aromatic I've tried. It has the character of a good French vanilla, in reality. Not your typical super-sweet, synthetic vanilla extract-laden blend. More so the scent and flavor of the vanilla bean, itself.

The moisture level out of the tin was just about perfect, and ready to smoke. The crumble cake broke up easily with a gentle rub. It translated into a consistent, easy burning smoke. After the charring light, with proper tamping and aeration, a relight was never necessary.

7th Ave. is a cool burner for sure. I smoked this fairly fast. One would have to puff their brains out to get tongue bite here. Even at the bottom of the bowl, I did not have to dump the ash, and there was little to almost no ash flavor coming through at all. The tobacco stayed front-and-center all the while.

This is a well made blend, with quality constituents. You get the sweet character of the Virginia and Cavendish, along with the subtleties of the Burley. I do detect Oriental poking through. It all comes together in a sweet, light blend. Retrohale is pleasing, while the room note is also pleasant, and wife-friendly.

All-in-all this is a good all day smoke. Very mild, medium-strength blend. It is missing the true tobacco-punch, and seems to be geared more towards fans of scent and sweet. I am glad I tried it, the quality is impressive, but I wouldn't add this to my aromatics rotation any time soon. So many amazing blends out there still to try. If you are a avid fan of either vanilla, Drew Estate, or both, give it a shot.

Purchased From: Pipes And Cigars.com