Pack a bowl and head down to 7th Avenue in Park Slope and you’ll end up like the pied piper of Brooklyn. The super pleasing aromas captivate in the air, but the exotic blend of tobaccos is what has you coming back for more and more.

Notes: 2013 IPCPR release

2.5
bman64 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bman64 (44)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Strong

Almost didnt get this blend from tin to pipe based off tin note alone-it is by far the most OBnoxious over-the-top note ever! How bad was it you ask?

Within 30 minutes of opening the tin in our great room, the better 1/2 ordered it sequestered. [Thats a first btw. The fact that I wholeheartedly agreed was also a first]. I ended up placing 3/4 in a sealed pint jar, and aired the remainder outdoors for 6-8 hours fluffed up in the open tin....this did the trick, although the porch note effused cheap inscence.

The now toned-down scent was one of vanilla-caramel, possibly maply/rum like, but not medicinally like before. Initially it was Glade Plug In unbearable.

Its a motley crew of leaf this stuff, very light blondes to black cav and many hues in between. I cant easily define the cut-hence the "motley". The blonds are actual flat leaf, rather large chunks. There is shag cav, but there is broken flake i think as well.

Following sequestration,.the bowls pack well, not too tightly due to the blending, at most a mid sized Meer only required 3 lights to blackened ash, a MizzMeer only one from char to finish.

Their is vanilla in 7th Ave., but fine tobacco flavor too. Virginias and Orientals? come and go throughout, but always present is smooth french vanillas. Smooth, copious amount of creamy smoke with sipping -the only way to respect aromatics is to sip. Very good mouth feel and taste.

Its my first vanilla aro, but like G&H Top Black Cherry, it'll likely be my only one :). Only reason I dont give it 4 of 4 is that the wife hates it, even the toned-down porch note is offensive to her. That and the obnoxious initial odor. I will order more. Current Rotation- Solani 633, Dunhill Nightcap, Davidkff Scottish Mkxture, and now this :)

Pipe Used: Meer, Missouri Meer

Age When Smoked: New Tin, no age

Purchased From: Pipes Cigars.com

Epicurator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicurator (3)

When I learned Drew Estate was coming to the world of pipe tobacco, I had to grab a tin ASAP. While I love English blends as much as the next guy, I figured I would make my first foray into this new line with an aromatic. Thus, we have 7th Avenue Blonde.

Upon cracking the tin, you get vanilla. It is an interesting, smooth, and earthy vanilla. In fact, it's unlike any other vanilla aromatic I've tried. It has the character of a good French vanilla, in reality. Not your typical super-sweet, synthetic vanilla extract-laden blend. More so the scent and flavor of the vanilla bean, itself.

The moisture level out of the tin was just about perfect, and ready to smoke. The crumble cake broke up easily with a gentle rub. It translated into a consistent, easy burning smoke. After the charring light, with proper tamping and aeration, a relight was never necessary.

7th Ave. is a cool burner for sure. I smoked this fairly fast. One would have to puff their brains out to get tongue bite here. Even at the bottom of the bowl, I did not have to dump the ash, and there was little to almost no ash flavor coming through at all. The tobacco stayed front-and-center all the while.

This is a well made blend, with quality constituents. You get the sweet character of the Virginia and Cavendish, along with the subtleties of the Burley. I do detect Oriental poking through. It all comes together in a sweet, light blend. Retrohale is pleasing, while the room note is also pleasant, and wife-friendly.

All-in-all this is a good all day smoke. Very mild, medium-strength blend. It is missing the true tobacco-punch, and seems to be geared more towards fans of scent and sweet. I am glad I tried it, the quality is impressive, but I wouldn't add this to my aromatics rotation any time soon. So many amazing blends out there still to try. If you are a avid fan of either vanilla, Drew Estate, or both, give it a shot.

Purchased From: Pipes And Cigars.com