Exquisite Orientals combined with bright Virginias and rich Latakias for a traditional Balkan style blend. A mellow but satisfying smoke featuring delicate flavors and a soft room note.

Notes: New blend, available for pre-order.

BrandComoy's of London
Taste
King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (43)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

I had a very unhappy experience with my sample of Cask #1 and found it a very tepid smoke not worthy of further attention. Cask #11 only fared slightly better. At least this blend had a little bit of pouch aroma - not much, but some. It also had a small amount of room note - again, some, but not much. It's physical appearance was more of a normal looking english blend than Cask#1 with some dark components including, I assume, a smattering of latakia. I loaded up my 2009 NASPC year pipe and sat back to enjoy the smoke, but was dissappointed. Once again I experienced a very tepid smoke; constantly trying to determine just what it was that I was smoking. Cask #11 purports to be a balkan english blend, but balkan english blends are known far and wide for their strength and fullness - sometimes to the point of being overwhelming to some smokers. This blend is very far away from being that. And there was another characteristic to this blend that I didn't like - tongue bite. Although not a terribly strong bite, it roughed up my tongue from beginning to end.

When one considers the vast number of good and solid balkan english blends that we have available to us today, it becomes hard to understand why any of us should prefer this weak and thin blend to any of them. Also, I have the same level of doubt abount Cask #11 that I have about Cask #1: are these sample pouches that are being distributed in our smoke shops really indicative of what's in the 100g tins? If yes, that's not good. If no, that's not good either. My advice to fellow smokers is, take a pass on these Comoy Cask blends and dive into the wonderful world of english and balkan blends that we are so lucky to have available to us today. Somewhat recommended - two stars.

Pipe Used: Northern Briars 4 square billiard

Age When Smoked: not known-probably recent

Purchased From: dealer sample from Barclay's pipe and tobacco

Similar Blends: somewhat similar to King Charles Mixture.

Pilotpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pilotpuffer (6)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I’ll start this review with a quote from Colonel Klink of Hogan’s Heroes – “Verrrry interesting.”

Comoy’s Cask No. 11 was a very pleasant surprise. I am drawn to English blends such as Dunhill’s EMP, and H&H’s Marque Magnum Opus. To me these are my desert island blends that have stood the test of time in my never ending search for The Reliable Blend.

I recently read about the new blends from Comoy’s of London as blended in Denmark and was happy to receive a few different sample packs from John B. Hayes Tobacconist in Winchester, VA. So I tried Cask No. 11 not expecting a fine quality blend, I was mistaken.

This mix looks like a nice ribbon cut similar to Dunhill’s EMP. Nice variety of VA, Cavendish, Orientals and some Latakia (not much). It packed very nicely because I was in a hurry and didn’t take the time to perform a 3-step pack. Nope, I just pounder it in the bowl of my Parker billiard. The moisture content felt right from the sample package.

The charring light was smooth and I noticed this weed didn’t need an additional light. What the hell, so I proceeded with my smoke after a quick light tamping. I immediately noticed how smooth this blend is with an even mixture of the different leaf types. I need to emphasize that this is a mild English blend and the Latakia just teases from the background. It burns very closely to EMP with a nice white ash and little dottle. No gurgling was noticed and absolutely no tongue bite.

I really like the way this blend smokes consistently without worrying about relights. Good room note according to the wife. I did not notice any change in the flavor throughout my trials from first light to the bitter end. Very consistent.

This could easily become an all-day regular addition to my rotation. Highly recommended for a mild English smoke.

Similar Blends: Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I was pleasantly surprised when Cask #11 arrived with my tobacco order. The pouch scent is deep and smoky with thin ribbons (not shag) and some ribbons chopped. Cask #11 is a good looking tobacco. In the pipe though, the Latakia dominates the blend. While there is nothing wrong IMO with Latakia dominated blends, Cask #11 is billed as a Balkan, one that I find to be out of balance. As a result, it seems a little rough around the edges for my taste. This is not a bad tobacco, but in a marketplace with a huge number of blends in this genre, it is very average. For lovers of heavy Latakia blends, I still find it to be average compared to some of the better Lat blends out there. If there is a topping on this blend, it is extremely light. On the plus side, a 3.5oz tin can be had for about the cost of a 50 gram tin from other makers and can be bought in bulk.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (130)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this sample which turned out to be a nice surprise. The smell in the pouch is definitely of a Balkan mixture, smoky and sour. A thin ribbon cut of yellow, brown and dark tobacco.

The Orientals drive the show, the Latakia is blended with a balanced hand and the Virginias impart some sweetness.

A mild to medium Balkan that is mellow, spicy and sour with an omnipresent tangy taste on the tongue.

rakntur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rakntur (3)

Comoy's of London's Cask No. 11: British Strength, is a Balkan mix of Orientals, bright Virginias and Latakias that in their masterful proportions create a very fine, smooth, flavorful result. I was surprised, never having heard of Comoy's tobaccos before, to find this and the other new Cask blends I tasted recently at my pipe meeting all quite good if not excellent. This one, however, does not hold up to, say, Gawith Balkan Flake or the Balkan Smoking Mix Sasieni, but it succeeds in creating its own unique new version of the old favorite.