A superior blend of Virginias, Burleys, and mild Black Cavendish flavored with a unique combination of chocolate and vanilla with a hint of port for a delightful smoking experience.

BrandComoy's of London
Blended ByComoy's of London
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Vanilla
Packaging100g tin

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)

The more of these Comoys cask blends I smoke, the more I like them. They have all been really good quality, great taste, and all at a bulk price. I have been very impressed. I have been most impressed with Cask No.2.

This blend claims to be an aromatic flavored with port. As always, I am not sure if what is in the description was what was coming out of the pipe, but overall I fell in love with this blend at first bowl.

Most people will claim that as a pipe smoker matures he slowly moves away from aromatics. I am not sure if this is completely true. I think as a pipe smoker matures he becomes much more attuned to the qualities of a great blend, and therefore the majority of aromatics do not make the cut. I do not consider myself a pipe master in any way shape or form, but I have smoked hundreds of blends. I have found that a great aromatic has become like finding a rare diamond. I can smoke great Vapers all day long without any trouble finding them, but to find a really good aromatic is a rare treat.

That is exactly what I have found in Cask No.2. This blend is not just good, it is fantastic. The tin note is just scrumptious, and the moisture level was perfect. Upon filling a bowl I found that the tobacco packs with ease, and upon lighting there is a large amount of white billowing smoke.

The flavor is just excellent. The perfect balance of fine tobacco and quality added flavors. Through the whole smoke there is not even a hint of tongue bite to be found. This is such a pleasure to smoke. Will definitely stock up on this one.

Pipe Used: Designer Berlin Sandblasted

Age When Smoked: Purchased 2014

Calam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calam (5)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is easily my favorite aromatic.

I tried a sample pouch of this for 50 cents from my local tobacconist. At 50 cents, I just had to give it a try. There was enough in the pouch for 3-4 average sized bowls, which is just enough to get a good idea for the flavor.

There is no description on the pouch, so I didn't know what to expect when I tried it. The moisture level is perfect out of the pouch.

To me, it has a strong vanilla - cedary note to it, but it's not overpowering--it's actually REALLY good. I haven't seen anyone else comment on the cedar notes, so maybe it's just my palate, but I really enjoy it. It's heavier on the virginias than the cavendish, which is my preference, and is hardly sweet at all. It somehow manages to taste like vanilla without being syrupy or tangy like most vanilla blends.

Pipe Used: Bari Straight Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 2014

Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

The Virginias are grass and citrus, and are the major component. The burley has a light nutty, molasses sweetness as a second lead. The black cavendish offers a mild vanilla. The chocolate and vanilla topping are mild. The port wine is also mildly applied, and adds a nice obvious under current of flavor to the blend. The toppings do sublimate the tobaccos to some extent., both working together to create a nice harmonic aromatic. The nic-hit is barely noticeable. Won’t bite. Burns well, cool, clean, and smooth with a very consistent taste that doesn’t weaken. Leaves no moisture in the bowl. Has a mild after taste. A very easy going all day smoke.

Cask No. 2 is the second aromatic from Comoy’s that I have tried. This one is slightly more cased than Cask No. 9. I enjoy No. 9 a bit more because of the ease in which the tobacco flavor comes through in unison with the casing. But, I find Cask No. 2 very interesting. I have only tasted one or two tobaccos flavored with wine, and the only I recall is one of the Wessex blends. But my brief experience wasn’t a good one and that is being polite. Cask No. 2 gets it right. The Vanilla and Chocolate are there, but the splash of wine adds almost a blackcurrant flavor to the blend. It also seems to add a little depth. Considering that we are only talking about a small splash here, it accomplishes quite a bit. I have been impressed with both of the Comoy’s aromatic offerings I have tried thus far. If you want a little more tobacco flavor, No. 9 is the way to go, however, Cask No. 2 is far from the heaviest aromatic I have tried.

Pipe Used: Mostly Peterson Bulldogs

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (64)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

What a pleasant surprise this aromatic was. I usually smoke english blends, and reserve aromatics for company. When I smoke an aromatic, I want to know that I am smoking heavy on the casing. This one delivers very well. For me, the vanilla played a leading role, with the port more in the background. My wife really enjoyed the room note. This packs, lights, and smokes well with no tongue bite (I smoke like a chimney). If you enjoy aromatics that taste more like the casing, this one will do you right.

Pipe Used: Ben Wades

surfnspy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
surfnspy (6)
Mild Medium Full Very Pleasant

The tin smell is luxurious. Ripe Raisins and a hint of liquor is what I got.

Nice, white, creamy smoke that smells great at first light. The bowl fluctuated from chocolate to port - port to chocolate all the way to the end and left a white, fine ash.

This stuff will win over the gals who are on the fence about smoking in the den or other common areas in the house.

Aromatic fraidy cats should give this a go. You may surprise yourself and actually like it. For those of you that enjoy light aromatics, RUN, don't walk and get your hands on this stuff!

EDIT: back to Earth... Gotta downgrade after several bowls. It's nice but, there is definitely an "alcohol" taste happening that wasn't as pronounced initially.

Pipe Used: 1950's Comoy sandblasted Bulldog

Age When Smoked: 2014

Purchased From:

NavyGuy85 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NavyGuy85 (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A lovely aromatic!! No bite and stays cool throughout. Starts off with a lot of port note then slowly transitions into coco and then vanilla. If you like aros then this is a must

rakntur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rakntur (3)

Comoy's of London Cask No. 2: Portwood, the only aromatic in the trio I was able to taste thanks to a friend in my pipe club who works for my tobacconist and gave all of us samples of three of the new Cask Series, is one that, judging from the packet blurb, would be ghastly even to die-hard aromatic fans, among whom I counted myself until I was liberated and enlightened. Cask 2 fuses Virginias, Burleys and a mild Black Cavendish with "a unique combination of chocolate and vanilla with a hint of port" (hence the name). Yikes! But not so. This seeming Stygian Stew creates a wonderfully surprising light aromatic that almost everyone who tried it Friday night, including the harshest of the Latakia and Perique ogres, enjoyed. And I may be one of them now. All of these examples of the Cask Series, even No. 2, smoke long and well.

Piper in the Pines Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Piper in the Pines (2)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Unsmoked aroma is mostly chocolate and wine, with a litlle vanilla. Room note is similar, though I might add that this tasted more like wine the more I smoked through the bowl, and less like chocolate and vanilla, which impacted the room note similarly for me. The Virginia leaf adds a natural sweetness that is nonetheless kept from tasting too light by the Burley. Detectable tobacco taste is there but mild. I will also go on to state that I kept on getting a taste like Oak wood. I am quite sure this has to do with either added flavoring or the cure of the tobacco, possibly both. This is a very enjoyable aromatic that is something a little different and may not appeal to all aromatic lovers but will probably appeal to most of them.

Pipe Used: Yello Bole Imperial Billiard and MM Legend cob

Age When Smoked: Approximately one year

Purchased From:

HobgoblinTA96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HobgoblinTA96 (27)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Gourmet chocolate tin note upon opening the tin with a candied fig smell in the background. Think old fashioned sweets shop. Dark decadent melted milk chocolate with sweet fruity swirls of port wine and exotic vanilla entices the palate with an enticing taste sensation of confectioners candy. A mild strength desert tobacco that is perfect for relaxing after dinner or as an all day smoke. Moisture content is near perfect and little to no drying time is needed for a perfect smoke. The aroma of this blend is sure to win hearts and minds as well. Cheers

Pipe Used: Comoy's Zulu & Safari Billiard

Age When Smoked: Used over several months

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Similar Blends: Country Squire Rivendell Blend.