The quintessential English blend, loaded with Latakia which combines brilliantly with Virginia and Oriental for that distinctively British experience. A rich variety of flavors complete the experience.

Notes: This blend is so new it is only available for pre-order. I got a 10g sample packet from a friend who works for a local tobacconist.

BrandComoy's of London
Blended ByComoy's of London
Manufactured ByScandinavian tobacco Company
Packaging100g tin
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
2.7
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The Virginias are front and center in this English blend. In the tin note and in the flavor. It's a top notch smoke with quality tobaccos. I recommend it to those who like their English sweet. I prefer mine with the Orientals out front so I probably won't buy any more of this blend but I will enjoy the rest of the 2 ozs I have.

UPDATE: 10/25/2013 This is better balanced between the Virginias and Orientals than I first thought. It's not just sweet, it's sweet and spicy. Much more to my liking. Upgrading from 3 stars to 4. You should try this one.

rakntur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rakntur (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Comoy's of London Cask No. 1: Double English, made in Denmark, is created with great care and an exquisite recipe. It is, indeed, as the package reads, "the quintessential English blend, loaded with Latakia" and mixed with Virginias and Oriental. For fans of this variety, as I am, Cask 1 should prove a delight in its remarkable sweetness and fresh, distinct taste of Latakia. This is now my favorite English blend, and that is saying something considering I had never even heard of Comoy's tobaccos before and therefore had no expectations (although I owned a very nice Compy's London made pipe once that I cleaned up and gave to a cigar-smoking friend who still has it and attends our meetings), and I have smoked enough English blends to know a good one when I taste it. I owe tremendous thanks to the friend in my pipe club who works for my local tobacconist and let alll of those present for a recent meeting have samples from a distributor. Alas, all of mine are already smoked!

When my bulk pouch of Cask #1 arrived I was pleased to see what appeared to be a good looking blend. The appearance of Cask #1 is that of a typical medium English blend. However my experience with #1 was similar to #11. All the right components are there, but I find #1 lacking verses the large number of other blends in this class of tobacco. On the up side, #1 is not lacking in flavor, but on the down side #1 is rough around the edges, too rough. I seldom get bit by a tobacco and almost never by an English blend, but this blend can burn hot if pushed. All in all, it’s not a bad blend but Cask #1 seems to be in need of some aging to smooth out the edges. So for now, this goes into the cellar for a revisit next year.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (40)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Unnoticeable

I don't like to be the first user to rate a blend as I like to kind of get a sense of how other reviewers feel about the tobacco, but here goes. Like reviewer Pioletpuffer in his review of Cask #11, I was delighted to find that my local shop had received sample pouches of the Comoy's Cask Series. Being an english smoker I selected both Cask #1 and Cask #11, which I will review later.

So, I undid the pouch and stuck my nose down in it and took a good snort and - nothing. I thought that I had done something wrong, so, I repeated with a couple of good snorts this time and-still nothing. Next I opened a pint mason jar that has a mixture of one-half Lane Leo and one-half Rattray's Marlin Flake and took a snort-ah, beautiful! Now I knew that my nose was working, so I repeated with the sample bag-very, very little to savor. My conclusion - this sample of Comoy's Cask #1 has, for all intents and purpose, no pouch aroma. Next I dumped it out on a sheet on white paper and took a good look at it. It looked relatively normal and, in agreement with reviewer Gentleman Zombie in his review of C&D's Crooked Lane, it did resemble Crooked Lane in outward appearance.

So, the only thing left to do was to load up my Bonacquisti 2010 NASPC pipe and have at. And I did-right down to the end of the bowl. In the middle of this my wife called me to lunch and I put the pipe down and went to eat. When I came back to my downstairs smoking den after lunch- there was no detectable room aroma! Very unusual as my smoking den always has a nice toasty english smoking aroma in this type of situation.

So, I went back and examined every word on the Comoy pouch about this blend: "double english", strength 3 of 5, taste 3 of 5, room note 4 of 5 (?), "quintessential english blend" and "loaded with Latakia". I want somebody else to review this tobacco blend and report on it on this site, please. I don't understand any of this - did I get an inferior, atypical and subpar sample? I found this blend to be thin, bland and characterless with neither a pouch nor a room aroma. I won't give it a one-star review because I reserve that ranking for a blend that is actually offensive, some how. With respect toward the old and honored Comoy name - two stars.

postscript (2/23/14): When I posted my review earlier today, I was unaware that there were reviews of this blend under the heading "Comoy". I read them and was taken aback at how positive they were. Reviewers talked about the good pouch aroma and the good room aroma of this blend. They liked Cask #1 and stated that it was one of the best englishes they had ever smoked. All of this is in stark contrast to the properties of the dealer sample I smoked and reviewed. I am a fifty-year plus english smoker who has consumed a very large number of english blends, including most of the "classics" in their early iterations. I know what a good english blend is, and the sample I smoked was not one of them. I repeat here and now that there was no leaf in my sample that I could identify as latakia, no noticeable pouch aroma, no noticeable room aroma and very little taste in the smoke. All of this only reinforces my feeling that something was wrong - very wrong - with the dealer sample I smoked.

Pipe Used: bonacquisti sandblasted billiard

Age When Smoked: not known-probably recent

Purchased From: sample pouch from Barclay's Pipe and Tobacco

Similar Blends: Cornell and Diehl's Crooked Lane.

Doug Lucas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Doug Lucas (1)

Not a bad tobacco, but I'll stick with Boswell's or Frog Morton. It smokes cool, burns evenly, and is sweet to a point. It would be alright for a change off blend. I can see where some may make it their go to choice of mild English tobaccos and I would smoke it again. The tobacco also left the pipe clean and dry, but I have no idea what it smells like(can't smell that well). Thus I have made my very first rewiew of a tobacco. I chose a Kirsten Model B to smoke this blend in and will add the pipestayed cool right to the end of the smoke.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Very good. Kind of stuck somewhere in the middle though. Its not a WOW English or a masterpiece, and its not a good sleeper either, its in that middle ground with Hartwell's Chesdin or even for my money Butera Pelican.

Everything is here to really enjoy. Well packaged, nice big Lat hit, good supporting blends, I just wonder how many will call it a favourite.

Still, you can do a LOT worse, this has a lot going for it.

I do like ribbon/shag cuts as I like to ball then stuff during packing. This tobacco is a slightly sweet English with plenty of Oriental flavor and spice, I wouldn't say "it's LOADED with latakia ", as the description says. If I had to pick a similar tobacco I would say Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. I'd love to see how this ages for a year.

Revised 6/30/2014- I've had this cellared for about 7 months and it has not improved. It lacks body, burns hot and ashy and is not for me.