Trout Stream is a mixture of Golden Cavendish mixed with a sweet Black Cavendish with an rich butterscotch aroma and a smooth flavor. Stays lit easily and is mild enough for any time of day. It’s perfect for tying flies or stepping out of your tent on a cool misty morning.

Brand4noggins
Blended ByRich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Cavendish
FlavoringCaramel
Strength
Mild to Medium, Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium, Full

3.4
David Douthitt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Douthitt (2)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

I am normally not one for aros, at all; this one is the exception. It smells fantastic in the package, and even better lit. It has a sweet butterscotch flavor without being cloying or leaving a bad taste in your mouth or goop in your pipe. This is as good as it gets in the aromatic world. I'm off to buy more!

Pipe Used: Mastro de Paja, Nording

Boswell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Boswell (8)
Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

My favourite tobaccos have always been English and Balkan blends, but recently I have been adding some aromatics to my rotation, and I have really enjoyed Trout Stream. It burns very coolly and easily with no bite. It has taken me a while to learn how to appreciate the subtle flavours in the actual tobacco taste of some aromatics (I find it much easier to taste the mix of flavours in English blends), but the excellent burning properties of Trout Stream allow one to appreciate the nutty, slightly peppery and chocolatey notes of the Cavendish.

The butterscotch aroma is quite strong in the bag, but I found it was well-balanced in the taste, and didn't overwhelm the underpinning mild tobacco taste.

Pipe Used: MM diplomat

Underground Cat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Underground Cat (5)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Pleasant

I am still new to noticing the subtle effects, tastes, and smells of tobacco, however, when I first smoked Trout Stream, it was beyond obvious that this was an excellent smoke, from which I learned a lot about all the other tobaccos I own. Its aroma is delicate, rich, and very addictive - it whispers in the night to be sniffed and I carry it around all day. When I smoke this tobacco, I am under the impression that I know what a quality and delicious tobacco taste like. It doesn't leave a mark/after-scent in my pipe. Its very smooth and balanced. Its butterscotch and vanilla, and kinda coffee like too, aroma is just AMAZING. Then again I am a strong aromatic tobacco lover. One of my all time favorite tobaccos (out of the 15 I've tried).

Pipe Used: Lorenzetti Constantine 24

Toby67 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toby67 (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

I love the blending of the different Cavendish Tobacco's with the creamy sweet Caramel/Butterscotch flavouring. As mentioned before this is very similar to Three Blind Moose. The more I smoke quality Aro's the more I like to have them in my regular rotation. This is indeed a quality blend for early morning and all day as well as a great after dinner topper.

This and Three Blind Moose were my first real Aro's and the moment I opened the bag the note had me so excited I had to stop unpacking the box Of tobacco's I had ordered and immediately packed a bowl and thought wow!!!

After being aged in a mason jar for 4 months I find the flavour changes a bit and mellows out to be a very mild, not as sweet smoke, however still a quality smoke that will still hold its place in my rotation. That is possibly because of how compressed I had it in the jar but I think it's more to do with its maturing.

Absolutely no tongue bite unless your puffing like a stream train where you get a slight pinch rather than a bite. If you puff your heart out smoking this your not doing it any justice, sip it and savour it and you'll love it.

Pipe Used: Various Briars, Meerchaum, Cob's

Age When Smoked: New to 4 months

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Three Blind Moose (4noggins), Trout Stream (Pipes & Cigars), Stanwell Melange.

TMacpherson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TMacpherson (3)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Perhaps my favorite blend to start the day here on the mountain - sitting on the deck watching the sunrise and listening to river rolling below. A sublime blend that burns smooth delivering a rich aromatic smoke without a hint of heat. Fantastic. Kudos to Rich for another beauty.

Pipe Used: Peter Matzhold Custom

tango Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tango (11)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A 100% Cavendish mixture that smells almost exactly like Three Blind Moose, and elicits the same responses from bystanders. It burns clean and cool if you know how to smoke flavored blends, tastes mild and pleasant, and does not overwhelm with nicotine.

Don't smoke this in public if you're feeling antisocial. People will want to talk about it.

Purchased From: 4noggins.com

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I decided to buy 2 oz. of this after reading the reviews on it. It arrived in a nice, sealed plastic bag as does all of 4 Noggins bulk house tobaccos. I put it on the shelf for a couple of weeks before trying it due to I was busy smoking other things at the time. I finally got around to it 2 weeks later. Upon opening the bag, it smelled very nice. Kind of caramel-ish and vanilla-ish. It was just about the right moisture content (a little dry) and it packed nicely. On the 1st light, it probably would have stayed lit for the entire bowl, if I hadn't let it go out. On the 2nd light it smoked very easily and stayed lit with no problem. TS never bit me, throughout the entire bowl. However, my pipe did get a little hot to the touch about halfway through, I'm not sure why, because I was just sipping nice and easy. I'm a little new to pipe smoking, having smoked cigars for a few years, so my pallette is not as refined as some. I did taste a little of the butterscotch and a nice nutty flavor as well. I will be happy to smoke the rest of this 2 oz of tobacco and move on to another in time. This is a good aromatic tobacco, bravo 4 Noggins.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Viking Classic

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

point9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
point9 (76)

I smoked aromatic exclusively about 10 or 12 years ago when I was beginning to smoke pipe. It only took few months to get sick of the additive aromas. But I bought some of this because my friend told me that this was less aromatic as others(drug-store blends). It isn't. It smells sweet and tastes flavorful. However I think my taste changes a lot all these years that I find it's too mild for me now.

surfnspy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
surfnspy (6)
Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I almost feel a little guilty not saying I enjoyed this blend but, in the interest of others who rely on honest reviews to make decisions regarding what blends to buy, I'll give my honest assessment of TS.

In short, people who don't particularly enjoy aros will probably like TS.

I'm not sure if it was my doing but, TS burned a bit hot. It also tasted sour towards the bottom of the bowl. According to my pipe-critic girlfriend, the room note was "meh."

This was my first order with 4 Noggins and I could tell the quality is definitely there but, I'm afraid this blend just doesn't do it for me. I neither liked it or disliked it. It was just "there."

Pipe Used: 1960's GBD Prehistoric Billiard