A very mild blend, using predominantly flue-cured Virginia, but with the addition of some sun-cured both to cool and sweeten the smoke. A rough-cut into very coarse pieces also contributes to cooling the smoke.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Packaging50g Tin, Bulk
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste

2.7
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A somewhat disappointing entry from the G&H stable. Disappointing to me, anyway. Most of the other recent blends I've smoked had a lot more on offer. This one is an overly mild and bland coarse cut of lemon virginia with some different curing methods to alter the flavor. I didn't get much flavor from this one, but the room note was wonderful! And not just wonderful to a pipesmoker - I got a fair number of favorable comments from others as well.

This smoked naturally sweet rather than with the Lakeland essence. It got me wondering if some of those famous scents would spice this one up a bit. I just didn't find much of a personality with this one. It reminded me of a less citrusy version of C&D's "Ridin' The Raid". It's just sort of "tobacco" without a lot of character. This would possibly be a good entry point for the new Virginia smoker. Personal tastes are very different but this doesn't strike me as something a long-time smoker would derive much satisfaction from. It just lacks the full flavor of other G&H blends... and perhaps that was the point. 2 stars for me, but add a star if you like mild virginia blends.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

I'll go ahead and give this one a couple of stars since I'm sure it'd be a great smoke for my briar bretheren who enjoy lighter fare. I've smoked a bunch of G&H blends the last few years and this one has to be the lightest.

The visual presentation is wonderful. In fact, the cut is unusually coarse. The burn (as you might expect from such a broad cut leaf) is slow and even. I doubt this one will bite those who like less full blends. But, I tugged a little too aggressively on my pipe in search of flavor and strength and wound up paying the price.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

Appearance: A mostly rubbed out flake, predominantly orange/red in color. Fairly wide ribbons with some bits of flake still holding together.

Aroma: Nice Virginia aroma with a bit of top dressing. I?m not positive of the source, but it reminds me of licorice. It?s quite delicate in application.

Packing: Packs easily into any size or shape bowl. I happen to like it in a wider bowl, but it burns nicely even in a narrow stack

Lighting: Usual two match light. No problem getting a charring light going.

Initial flavor: The mild Virginia flavor jumps up right away, followed closely by the flavor additive. I still can?t be sure what I?m tasting, but it?s pleasant and unobtrusive.

Mid-bowl: This burns surprisingly cool, probably because of the wider cut. Also remains dry throughout the smoke. Can you say monochromatic? Very little nuance in the flavor.

Finish: Burns down to a clean dry ash with very little change in taste or strength. It leaves me wanting another pipe very soon, usually something else. Something stronger!

Summary: A good choice for the Virginia newbie, and for a breakfast smoke (if your coffee is also mild). Useful for hot days, as it stays cool, and doesn?t tax your palate. Excellent quality leaf.

Kamerling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kamerling (27)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I always think of Broken Scotch Cake not as a separated parts of some cookie, but rather survivors from random battle during scottish civil war, whose regiment was broken during the fight and now you wish to treat them with a pipe full of good Virginia sayings "cheers up, lads".

Ok, it has some soapy taste, which I am not a great fan, but I must admit: that's the best soap you may smoke in your pipe for sure. Great buttery aftertaste. The taste of traditional butter fat, buttery biscuits... all right, now I get it why they call it a Scotch Cake.

Broken Scotch Cake was a dedicated tobacco on a few pipe-smoking championships which I took a part in.

machinebcon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
machinebcon (50)

This was a good smoke! It's quite similar to Sam Gawith's Golden Glow (maybe because of the broken state of flakes) but carries a hint of Lakeland scent, really just a hint. Excellent packing and burn, not too hot, and for a pure VA very forgiving and rewarding. Delivered enough N for breakfast. Blob shows "Coarse Cut", I would call it a mix of ribbons and broken flakes. Cool smoke, light flavour, little strength. Full score, but remember that this is not your usual VA. Aro lovers and Lat fetishists move on, nothing to see here.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (127)

I divide the G&H tobaccos into two categories: The light brown tobaccos and the dark tobaccos. BSC is my favorite in the light brown range. It comes in a sort of pressed form which requires a little bit of rubbing, but you can pinch it up and load the pipe that way. It does require a bit of drying to bring out its better qualities, and it does have a slight bit of the G&H flavoring additive, or top dressing which I find in their light colored tobaccos, but much less than in, say, their Brown Flake or CR Flake. For me this tobacco has no bite and delivers what I am looking for in this type of tobacco which is the distinctive taste of Virginia. I buy it in bulk and smoke a bowl every other week or so as a very pleasant change from my usual Virginias. Highly recommended. Paddy.

Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first started smoking this blend about four years ago, I like many others, felt it was too light in the flavor department and tossed it in a jar and forgot about. After revisiting it four years later, a few years didn’t change my mind completely, but it did improve. Very light Lakeland flavor, mild and now a bit sweeter than when new. It does burn clean and like all GH blends; the tobacco seems to be of high quality. I’ll finish the jar but won’t buy it again. If you like Virginia's, and are looking for a light Lakeland style blend, than this could be an option, but for me, Bright CR Flake by the same blender is a better choice.

Age When Smoked: new and four years

Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Gawith Hoggarth - Broken Scotch Cake.

From the pouch I see a well broken cake, it's more like ribbons with only a few larger flake/cake like pieces in there. The smell coming from the bag is a very full Virginia one, it would be almost impossible not to be able to identify it as being so. The moistness of the rough ribbons is good and this helps it light well. The flavour of the smoke I think is a basic Virginia one. Grassy and citrusy without being too sweet. Instead of the Virginia sweetness there is an almost herby quality there which I find quite fresh. The nicotine is fairly mild, maybe far too mild for a nicotine smoker.

I wasn't really too enthralled to try this one, I assumed it might be a bit simple but it's the simplicity of the smoke that I enjoy. Three stars.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum

Purchased From: MySmokingShop.com

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (129)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like strong/aromatic tobaccos, I think you won't care much for Broken Scotch Cake; the experienced and more demanding palate may find it rather bland and dull. On the other hand, this would be a good tobacco for the newcomer to try, or for someone who doesn't want a pronounced or pungent flavour. It's a mild, sweet, undemanding and natural-tasting Virginia; smooth, civilised and straightforward. I can't detect any casing; if there is one, it's very unobtrusive.

BSC is a cool and dry smoke that burns evenly and well. I don't notice any great change in the nuances of flavour as the bowlful progresses. Of course it's better sipped, but you can puff away quite hard without getting your tongue fried, and you won't get a nicotine overdose either. As the name suggests, it presents a fairly chunky appearance; you can rub it out a bit more if you need to, but you'll speed up the burn if you do, of course. I'm happy to recommend it, especially to the beginner. At first I found it a bit too bland, but the more I smoked of it, the more I came to like it, and I now number it among my favourites. It suits a big bowl and a long, contemplative, indoor smoke. SWMBO doesn't mind the room note, which is another plus point.

BSC reminds me a bit of Fribourg and Treyer's Golden Mixture (now unavailable in the UK): pleasant and undemanding, and a good all day smoke if you're an all day smoker. Also, it's not a million miles away from the ready rubbed version of Capstan that's available in the UK, with the same sweet, grassy taste. If you want something a tad more flavoursome, it's nice mixed 50/50 with Ogden's St Bruno. Superb stuff, in my opinion.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb Billiard

Purchased From: Durham Pipes and Tobacco, Durham City, UK

Similar Blends: Fribourg and Treyer's Golden Mixture.

I bought the unscented version. A unique blend that is a blond color and very coarse cut. At first go-round this one was too understated. I would recommend this one as your first smoke of the day or before any really strong tobacs. If given a chance to shine by itself, it is excellent. It does have a touch of the Lakeland Floral "soap" taste. The Virginnia is tangy and sweet. It does have a bit of a kick to it from the nicotene content.

dixcreek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dixcreek (103)

Good smoke for any time if the day. Packs well and takes the match well. Some initial sweetness and hay as well as just a tinge of Lakeland essence. Not a powerful blend but a solid smoke none the less. Pairs well with cup of Earl Grey or Irish Tea. All in all a very good quality smoke from G&H, just like the rest of their fine tobaccos I have smoked.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Supergrain 69

Age When Smoked: New and jarred 3+ months

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

FDC L50 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FDC L50 (5)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Predominately dark course leaf presented in a square tin. The tobacco is pressed tightly in the tin and is enveloped in a clear plastic wrapper. It has a nice moisture level which enhances the tin note. The initial aroma is cigar like though pleasant. The tin describes the blend as flue cured and sun cured Virginia. Upon the charring light I found the blend to be fairly mild and simple. There are no underlying nuanced flavors. I found Broken scotch flake to be a pure Virginia. There is a hint of sweetness but not much. I found no flavoring that I could distinguish. The n level is decent but not overpowering. The tobacco is of great quality and burns as clean as any I have smoked. The bowl burns to a fine gray ash. My pipe cleaner came out dry and had little if any discoloration. That impressed me. It is a very "clean" blend. I thought the second half of the bowl improved and re - lit until there was nothing to burn. I enjoyed the smoke. Not the blend I would take if I had only one to choose but one that I will re-visit

Pipe Used: Savinelli Estella

Age When Smoked: 6months

Purchased From: CI

ThePortlyGenie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThePortlyGenie (13)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Tolerable

A mild virginia. Almost imperceptible, but evident, taste & aroma of Lakeland Essence on charring light and a tinge of an 'ammonia' odour in nostrils, but very faint. Background: I've been smoking mostly G.L.Pease Union Square and his Triple Play & JackKnife plugs, as well as Navigator. Whether that leaves me with a well-adjusted 'virginia' palate and nose others can judge!! The tobacco is slightly spicey in the first 1/3rd of a bowl, relatively bland in the next 1/3rd and left a modest dottle with some reasonably strong 'nasties' in the last 1/3rd [which I didn't smoke into!]. Nothing spectacular - pleasant enough - modestly tolerable room note. Not special.

Pipe Used: Peterson 303, Seb. Beo bent brandy, Stanwell 86

Age When Smoked: 12 months since purchased - packing date unknown

Purchased From: James Barber [Smoke.co.uk]

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my favorite tobacco when I am sipping a dram of the single malt. It just goes so well with its namesake. When first I opened the can I was a little dismayed. This can't be right...it is all the same color in there. The can note is not significant smells kind of like sweet tobacco none of the soap and perfume you get with some of the other Lakeland blends. It burns well and smokes well. I would smoke it all day, but it is pricier than my regulars so it is reserved for the weekend. And I am working for the weekend. It is also very nice with a bold cup of tea. Try it. Slainte!

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a beautiful tobacco in both appearance and taste! I only discovered it about 5 months ago and have purchased several 500g bags of it since. It is one of the most pleasent tobaccos I have ever smoked in terms of its burning qualities, coolness, and creamy Virginia flavor. It isn't a very complex smoke. It does, however, change from a naturally sweet, creamy taste at first to a light toasty flavor with just a hint of that Virginia "twang", for lack of a better word. There is no bad aftertaste. I do not detect any burley. It is just a tad moist right out of the bag. It burns to a nice grey ash.

This is a special smoke to me in almost every way. Then again, I like natural tobaccos that are somewhat light to medium in strength. Definitely an all day smoke!!

UPDATE: After aging for 3 years I have tried more of this. The flavor, while nicely aged, seems to have gained in strength considerably! It could be that my tastes have changed. It does burn very well but just doesn't seem to have aged like I thought it would. Maybe it's this cursed Texas heat! This would no longer be an all day smoke for me.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Others have touched upon the classic Lakeland soap taste they experienced with this blend. I may have gotten the ?bottom of the barrel? (or ?the top of the barrel?) in my tin as all I could taste was the overwhelming presence and taste of soap and perfume in several bowls in several different pipes from beginning to end. I never tasted any tobacco flavor. Perhaps this is a quality control issue and the tobacco in my tin was overly scented but I won?t be trying it again.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 1.00 out of 10.

My bulk purchase consisted of nicely prepared flakes ~ 6" long x 1.5" wide of brownish VAs with some golden birdseyes. The moisture content was much < my preference and resulted in the tobacco crumbling in the pouch and especially during packing. This might have been older stock from my supplier but I couldn't bring it back to life. Normally, I don't rub out my flakes. It still smoked cool and dry without a hint of bite and was easy to light and keep lit. In addition, family felt that it had one of the better room aromas for a VA flake. It was mild enough for an all day smoke but failed my taste buds. I sensed a soapy undertone to the creamy, smooth taste that just spoiled the experience. Although not nearly as prevalent as with their Ennerdale Flake, perhaps this is a result of G&H processing or the VAs from Brazil or Zimbabwe that may be common to both blends.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a good VA. It was designed to be a very mild smoke and GH has accomplished that. The bright VA's provide a very light grassy and citrus note. There is a slight floral note but GH likes to use VA's from Malawi and I find that they have a slightly floral flavor much more so than VA's from the US. The flue cured portion also had a slight woodsy/fresh saw dust taste that seemed to come and go. This is far from a complex VA but still enjoyable. The VA's are sweet and never got harsh, bitter, or cigarette like in any way, even when pushed. Don't push this blend, however, the notes that I got from the first puff are all I got so slow and steady keeps the bite away. Not much nic in this blend either. It will not satisfy a craving but I don't think that was the intention here. It is wonderful as a first pipe of the day. I preferred it with a cup of Darjeeling tea as coffee overpowers the flavor profile. It is also great as an afternoon smoke on days off. I am an outdoor only smoker and now that summer here is underway I enjoy a lighter blend in the afternoon. This fits the bill quite well. I did not get any "lakeland sent" as noted above I think the slight floral note is from the VA's and it did not ghost any of my pipes. There was something there that I could not quite put my finger on and so I am leaning toward an extremely mild top note. This may also be the reason for the very pleasant room note. It was so nice even my cranky old neighbor yelled that whatever it is smells good. To which I replied not to get to use to it because I was about out of the 2 oz. sample. This will not make one of my regular rotations but I think I will pick up an oz. or two occasionally for the late summer months and to smoke around others with such a pleasant room note.

Wehrewulf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wehrewulf (2)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I found this offering to be a very smooth smoke. A wonderfully mellow, clean Virginia that seems to "cleanse" the palate when moving between English blends. A slight perfume to the taste that reminded me of aged Dunhill's Mild blend (even though the blends differ). The room note is nostalgically pleasant.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL27 and Rossi Sitting Lumberman

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Smoking pipes.com

Similar Blends: Dunhill's Mild Blend.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This wasn't at all what I had expected. Reading the other reviews here I am wondering if the bulk package I got today is even the same tobacco. My sample isn't broken flake at all. It is a fuzzy shag. It isn't bland at all, or mild. A friend who was present, and not smoking, said that the smoke had a pleasant vanilla scent. That having been said, it was a fine after-dinner smoke tonight. The licorice flavor was the real problem with this blend. It gave me a slightly sick feeling. Like many G&H blends, it is a well-crafted tobacco, and it has weird flavoring because that is what this blend is supposed to taste like. If I liked licorice I would love this stuff.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 48;

Rated Percentage = 80%;

Comment = Smooth, Medium Strength, this is a little Bitter, slight After Taste.

This packed nicely, lit easily, and smoked smoothly. I don't know about other tins, but there was not a hint of Lakelands or other flavorings in this batch that I could detect. Despite all that, I found the actual flavor rather 'meh' -- one note that I didn't like that much, but wasn't in any way bad.

Fountainhead Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fountainhead (17)

This is a very unassuming and relaxing English blend. It is not heavily flavored or very charactered in any particular way. This smooth smoking blend is for times when you do not want to think too much about what you are smoking, but would rather have a somewhat detached experience with a calm and balanced English blend. There is a subtle/mild but detectable warm spice about this blend.