100% pure virginia leaf with no additional flavours made from a blend of Brazilian, Zimbabwe and Malawi bright virginia leaf. The pressed tobacco as with all flakes, is left to mature before cutting into flakes, to allow for the best combination of flavours.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Strength
Taste

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (8)

The Bright CR Flake is my favorite Virginia flake.

This nice tobacco is being pushed aside by the famous Full Virginia Flake of Samuel Gawith, and in my opinion having not the acceptance it deserves.

Opening the bulk bag of this tobacco I prime the lightness perfume of "Lakeland". It is a natural aroma, not an artificial one and as I learned that "secret" aroma is coming from the flower of the plant Geranium Rose {"Rose Geranium"} (Pelargonium Graveolens).

The bright colour flakes, "shiny" and "tawny", are nicely chopped, and can be rubbed very easily and comfortably filled the bowl of the pipe.

Varieties of Virginia tobaccos from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi ripen to give a light and creamy taste. Gentle to moderate nicotine, can comfortably be the first morning pipe smoking of the day.

Delicious, with flavors alternating the natural aroma of tobacco and dry alfalfa hay, wet soil (sense of earthy soil after rain), with brief "passages" of pepper, flowers and fruits (I taste somewhere citron) but also some suspicion of cinnamon and anise.

All these result from the excellent quality of tobacco combined to make this beautiful flake rather than adding artificial fragrances. The "Lakeland" aroma sense I think it originates from the common area of production, ripening and storage of tobacco Gawith & Hoggarth. Some smokers call it "soapiness", I still did not felt it at all bad as a perfume, imperceptible to light, with an especially pleasant feeling of flowers and fruits.

By drying the tobacco yields even better, offering comfortable and pleasant smoking that can be enjoyed throughout the day.

Smoked without terrible swings and delicious surges from the top to the bottom of the bowl, some smokers may characterize it as drab or one-dimensional, I again found it delicious and very enjoyable from start to finish smoking it.

Not "bite" at all, it creates no liquid and leaves "clean" light gray ash finishes and staining very little the pipe filter.

In long-term ageing, it gets "sugars" (creating crystal sugars in the flakes) and gives an even more complex flavor, slightly sweet, creamy smoke.

I am smoking the Bright CR Flake in pipes of all types and materials (straight, bent, half bent, with filter and without filter, made by briar, olive wood, pear wood and corn combs) always enjoying a very good and enjoyable smoking.

Perhaps those smokers who are looking for more "loud" nicotine hit and stronger flavor intensity Virginia tobaccos may not be extremely charmed by Bright CR Flake.

I certainly appreciate this Virginia flake a lot and consider it an excellent pipe tobacco of highest quality that can be smoked very pleasant every time of day or night!

Highly recommended!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Bright CR is one of (if not the) lightest G&H blends I have had the pleasure to smoke. It won't beat up the tongue and palate, but certainly has enough flavor to satisfy. I smoked it a variety of ways but fully rubbed out and dried for an hour or so before loading up seemed to work best. It's a little steamy if smoked moist, IMO.

If you appreciate Lakeland style flavor in lighter doses, Bright CR would make a fine choice.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Nice presentation of light-colored virginia flake. This was a small bulk purchase. Very, very slight Lakeland aroma in the bag.

I agree that this is a light-tasting flake, probably the lightest in the G&H stable that I've smoked. Not a ton of flavor, this is a mild version of the basic Lakeland flake, minus the florals. Certainly less flavorful than any of the G&H or SG flakes that I've smoked. No bite even when provoked, although it can get a trifle testy and bitter. The flavor is grassy and lacks the usual virginia character I'm familiar with from this blender. It's also lacking anything resembling complexity. Just a nice, steady smoke for those who want to sample a virginia flake from this region without getting the floral, flavored character famously associated with G&H. There is the faintest trickle of that character but it goes away quickly.

There are many, many fine Virginia flakes on the market. This is far from the best but it's not the worst, either. Worth a sample for those that prefer a mild, grassy flavor that won't overwhelm. I'm giving this 3 stars for what it is but it's probably more of a 2 for my personal taste. Just not enough going on for me.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike some of the other reviewers, who needed to dry their samples, mine came very dry, even a bit 'crunchy' in parts. This resisted any attempts to hydrate, and so burnt a bit hotter (but not anywhere near uncomfortably so) and faster than other GH flakes.

I could detect some faint florals, but if this was from a hint of Lakeland florals or from the 'bright' VAs, I could not really be certain. Otherwise, a pleasant, straightforward 'bright' VA flavor and room note.

Pipe Used: various briars and meerschaums

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Bright CR Flake is a quality offering, easily rubbed out and burns nicely with only one light. It has a mild, somewhat satisfying, if unexciting, tobacco taste.

It also has a bit of that flowery taste/aroma that I despise but am learning to tolerate in order to enjoy the otherwise wonderful blends from G&H.

Bright CR does have its own certain charm, but for my money, there are many better choices in the mild/medium virginia genre.

2 or 3 stars, depending upon whether or not you like flowers with your virginia.

1/2

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have a lot of hobbies, and I wish that each of them had so comprehensive a reviewing site as this one. The level of expertise (obviously indicative of the worldliness of the reviewers) to be had here is truly extraordinary. Read enough of these reviews, and you'll develop a keen sense of the particular tastes of the individual contributors. Whether I agree with them, from a strictly subjective point of view, frequently (Tantric, Inquisitor), almost always(Sykes, Eulenberg), or rarely (Pipestud), they, and scores of others, bring a compendious body of knowledge to the site.

Bright CR Flake is another unheralded tobacco that may lack the cachet and recognition of others, but yields little in terms of quality. Perhaps it is a victim of its own balance, as a lack a flamboyance is often mistaken as being pedestrian. Fans of the overtly sweet, heady, tangy, or what have you may have nothing to point their finger at. Rather, it serves as an archetypal blend incorporating many elements in an enjoyable, easy to digest form, along the lines of an Old Gowrie. Anyone who happens across this one should be satisfied, if not overwhelmed.

Update, 8/04- In the year since my initial review, I find myself smoking BCRF less and less, and enjoying it more and more. Perhaps I have too many selections of VA flake available (is there such a thing?), and find myself reaching for moment-specific selections out of habit. I don't know why, since Bright CR almoost always leaves me satisfied, and I find the ever so gentle presentation of the all too often heavyhanded floral component particularly endearing. Good stuff!

Addendum, 10/04- Undoubtedly, the questions regarding the unusual flavors to found in some of the English-style VA flakes are controversial. Some are enamored of the floral/soapy/Nivea components, while others are appalled by their presence. While the Condors,St. Brunos, or stronger expressions of the genre can be atrocious, if not downright disgusting, a light hand can nevertheless be endearing. When these flavors appear as wisps or hints, they can add a mystifying beauty to a blend. In this regard, Bright CR Flake makes for a gorgeous smoke.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

This blend is a real sleeper. It's composed of 6" long flakes that are sliced perfectly thin. I usually rub them out a little and then just stuff them in my pipe. One flake goes a long way towards filling my largest pipes. CR Flake is composed of exotic Virginias that have just a touch of that floral taste.

This tobacco is really a treat for me and I don't smoke it every day; one could get spoiled very easily. It's not too complex, but the flavor is remarkable; it contains just the right combination of Virginias. Smoke this one slowly and appreciate its delicate sweetness.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (22)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The sweetness of this flake is remarkable. It is a light, ethereal sweetness that is never cloying, and leaves the pallette refreshed.

I rubbed out several flakes that I have aged in a jar for about three years and loaded a very large Nording freehand. Immediately I was greeted by a sweet, clean citrus flavor. There was just a hint of floral scent. I agree with several reviewers' speculation that any floral notes probably come from the atmosphere of the G&H building. In any case the floral note combines with the superb tobacco flavors to tease my nose and palette with whispers of frankincense. A nonsmoker friend noticed the frankincense effect in the room note. He liked the smell as I puffed away on my balcony.

Even after three years in the jar the flakes were moist enough to drench my Nording. If you live in a humid area, drying is a good idea. Once dried the steamy bite is no longer a factor.

The nicotine seems pretty light to me, but it was enough to keep me comfortable. I tend to puff a little too fast early in the bowl when the nicotine offering is as light as it is in this blend. If I am not careful this can cause bite which would not otherwise be a problem.

This flake is a great chance to enjoy the exotic tropical tobaccos G&H uses without the distraction of floral topping.

Pipe Used: Nording unfinished freehand

Bright CR Flake . "bright" is a fitting title as it does have a "bright" taste to it ! The unlit aroma is that of a standard Virginia , but that is not a disappointment as that is what it is ! The actual flakes are delightful in both moistness and thickness . I found it very easy to rub out and pack the bowl with .The smoke is of a real eminent/pure Virginia taste which gives no bite at all and is cool on the pallet , it also burns very even .I found the room note to be a very straight forward Virginia albeit still pleasing and not too overpowering so it will not offend any non-smokers in the vicinity . If you are a fan of straight Virginia then this is the one for you !

Pipe Used: Comoys Elegance

Purchased From: Smoke King

leafy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leafy (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Two weeks into smoking this blend it has revealed itself in the pipe. At first it smoked clumped with sweetness fuming off the top but I now rub the whole lot our (it comes as loose flakes) and air it overnight, spread on a tray. That does the trick and a week on I welcome it as confirmed in my rotation. It smokes with a nutty, elegantly harmonised Virginia taste. To date, I smoke it exclusively in filter briar and meerschaum filter pipes as found it too raw in plain pipes but will persist with plain to see if it matures therein. Medium to mild but not tame, patience will be rewarded here as the pipe builds sufficient cake to yield a surprisingly good smoke and one you will want to keep.

chimney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chimney (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

If you like the sound of acoustic string instruments, you will like this blend. It reminds me of wooden guitar and violin, clean, warm, comforting, simple in a complex way.

It needs some time to dry a little bit, otherwise will be steamy and pale. Better performs in a smaller bowl, especially when the fold & stuff method is used.

Sometimes, very little "lakeland flavor" appears at the first two or three puffing, but fades away very soon, not sure if G&H does this on purpose or it's just an unintentional inflection from the lakeland enviroment.

The room note is plain, OK for both smokers and non-smokers, I guess.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

While doing a year end cleaning of my pipe room, to my wife’s delight I might add, I came upon an ounce of Bright CR. It had been sitting for two years in a jelly jar that was not airtight. As one would image, it was dry as a bone. But after reading comments here on TR about smoking it dry, I stuffed a pipe and wow! I have always enjoyed many of the GH blends, but I tend to lean more to the darker or more cased GH blends. This is by far the lightest GH blend I have smoked thus far. The unique Virginia flavor, I believe, is from the processing of this blend or the origin of the leaf (or both) rather than a topping. The flavor for me is on the medium to full side of things. It’s lightly sweet and complex all the way to the end of the bowl. I enjoy this far more than FVF. I can only imagine how good this blend must be when properly aged. Great stuff!

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

If you don't mind a very light floral taste from the Lakeland topping, and you want a light, grassy/hay-like Virginia, you'll probably enjoy this. Burns well because the flake isn't as dense as some can be. I found it a nice change from heavier Virginias from time to time. No complexity to speak of here, but it does make for a nice nearly all day smoke if you into this kind of smoke. As good as this is, the plug version is even better.

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (31)

I've had a few bowls of this fine flake before putting it in a jar for ageing, and was surprised how they've brought up that fine lakeland note with so little casing. When it came, it was somewhat too wet and required a good amount of drying before packing. Still doesn't burn perfectly, but it's ok. Surely it's one of the most quality VA flakes out there. I like that nice fresh lakeland aroma that stays present through first half of the bowl. After that it gets a bit blunt, but still delicious. In a nutshell, it's awesome. Puff it easy, it tends to bite if not cautious.

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (13)

I wanted a good, basic flake Virginia, for mixing and smoking straight, so I tried this Bright CR Flake. Perfect for what I needed. The Virginia tobaccos are the stars, here. Nothing else interferes with the flavors. Straightforward and high caliber quality tobaccos. Love it straight, but personally I really loved mixing with it. I needed a major Virginia in my mix, and this was exemplary. Tastes distinguished, and delicious. Very, very glad I followed the advice of some of the good reviews here, because this is very satisfying Virginia tobacco. Rather a treasure, this.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)

I actually backed into this one. Started with the Glengarry and found that a bit much. Then I read the Pipestud's review and stabbed into a bit of this. I rubbed it out and let it set and fell in love. This stuff is just pure Virginia with a bit of a scent that you pick up as you go. Just love to smell it burning vs. the delight of puffing. It makes a bad pipe taste better and a great pipe taste terrific.

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

There are almost two reviews warranted here. The tobacco itself and the topping.

The topping is very interesting and makes a wonderful smoke wonderfully unique. 4 of 4 stars.

The tobacco itself is about the best I've ever sampled. Mild yet, very very sweet Virginia without a trace of bite. I would love to be able to sample this without any Lakeland scent at all. For the tobacco 10/5 stars!

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (25)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild tasting, smooth pure Virginia flake. No trace of any toppings in my sample, no Lakeland florals either.

I find it's smokeable without needing drying if rubbed out fully, but does need drying if smoked as broken flake or rolled and stuffed.

It tastes pretty much as a mild Virginia should really - not very complex, but smooth and pleasant with very little bite. Nothing about it is particularly outstanding or attention grabbing, but there's nothing particularly against it either. Makes a good first smoke of the day.

Well worth a try if Virginias are your thing.

Update, 25th November 2012

I've really come to like this over the last few months. In particular that it has the virginia "high notes" that darker flakes like FVF generally lack, and is actually fuller and more complex than them as a result. A good all day tobacco.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (24)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

One of my favorite VA. Amazing, pleasant baccy, with beautiful mild smoke. It leaves a nice fragrance around the pipesmoker, so it is absolutely 'passive friendly'. One of the finest natural taste va blend. 4 stars.

itsKoit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
itsKoit (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Lovely mottled brown flakes in perfect form, they breakdown easily but don't lend themselves to rolling or folding very well in my experience. A very light tobacco that tastes like sweet hay to me at least, with some age it deepens a bit, picking up a hint of black pepper to stand along the sweetness. No real casing or flavor that I can pick up, not even a lakeland aroma, but some say there's something extra there, but I've yet to see it. Might not be for everyone due to the almost extreme mildness, but for me I could smoke this all day. This tobacco comes highly recommended from me, try it in a conical bowl for best results!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I don't think this flake is exactly light. It is a fairly mild and simple Virginia flake though, and kind of reminds me of a milder version of FVF. I got the full 17.5 oz. box because it was on sale, and was greeted by nearly perfect 6'' flakes when I opened it. I promptly cut them in thirds and stuffed them into a couple mason jars to age, and have enjoyed a few bowls thus far. This is the essence of an unflavored Lakeland (there is a slight hint of a scent, probably from being in the same room as the likes of Ennerdale Flake!) and offers a pure (African and South American) Virginia experience. Don't look for complexity here, but lovers of Virginia flake with no added flavors will rejoice! I will add more if this shows me new facets after a couple years in the jar, but for now, just good, clean VA smoke, and I'm so glad GH is around to deliver (deliver being the operative word) a flake like this to the US when SG can't, or won't do so.

Update 3-4-12: I love this stuff, but I hate myself for not buying more than one pound (well, 500g) last summer when it was $43 a pound and not over $60! It has even improved a bit since then in the jar. Opening the jar, it kind of smells to me like fine tea. The appearance of the flake is beautiful; fine sugar crystals when you move it around under the light, a "furry" look and feel around the edges, but not mold; some kind of breakdown of the tobacco in the aging process. Indeed, this flake has a nice, almost meaty texture when rubbing it out. It's one of the finest Virginia flakes I've smoked, and the slight hint of Lakeland scents one gets from time to time, as I said in my original review, is probably only due to merely being in the same room as such tobaccos as Ennerdale and Kendal Flake...

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (9)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good all day tobacco, it's mild, slightly sweet, burns relatively cool with no bite or nicotine kick. This tobacco is in the same genera as Samuel Gawith Medium Virginia Flake with a little more flavor.

SmokeyD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeyD (4)

Oh this is good stuff! The tobacco smells of sweet hay. Comes slightly moist but does not require drying to smoke.

Breaking up the long 6 inch flakes and rubbing it out, it packs well into the pipe. Lighting is easily done and it stays lit with minimum relights. No bite.

Lovely, clean tasting Virginia with no artificial taste of after- taste. I did not detect any floral scents. Just sweet and nutty quality Virginia smoke. The room note is intoxicating! I kept going back to the smoking room just to catch a whiff of the note.

5 stars!!!

Unsal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Unsal (1)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

An excellent tobacco. Highly Recommended. = 5 star.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

This is a first class Virginia flake for those who prefer a good sweet and true tobacco taste. It is a nice blend of dark and light Virginias and offers a very nice combination of flavors. It burns slow and cool giving a full satisfaction. However it may be light for nicotine kick lovers. For me it is an all day and any time smoke.

If you look for some complexity this might not fit to your needings. But for sure it will satisfy you with nice and remarkable flavorful smoke. I highly recommend it for pure and sweet Virginia smokers.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn (33)
Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very curious about the taste of this offering especially after reading the ingredients list and seeing the inset photo at Pipes and Cigars.com. I tried to order some but they were completely out which I considered a good omen(must be good if everyone is ordering it and causing a shortage like all wothwhile things) but a bit of a tease. Found some finally at 4 Noggins.com . Ordered a couple of ounces and was very pleased with the tobacco. An unparalled mild,friendly Virgina blend!

As a tobacco it has everything I require in a lighter blend. Easy to prepare and to fill the pipe.Excellent mositure content and light-up-ability and a very remarkable first few tokes. An especially nice morning smoke in one of my "hobbit" (handmade by yours truly) churchwarden and a nice way to greet the very early dawn hours. Great taste with the bonus of a very pleasant aftertaste. A great launch off for the more "serious" fulsome smokes of the day by way of either of the Gawiths or anyone else. Easy steps from Bright CR to perhaps Medium Virginia (Sam Gawith) to Full Virginia Flake(Sam Gawith)to Curly Cut Deluxe and Broken Scotch Cake(Gawith and Hoggarth) and on and on up the more potent offerings from many different suppliers.

All in all a very welcoming and friendly smoke. I am not all that sure about the others coment here about "soapy" tastes or "floral" this and that. I just know it smokes very very well and as a blend and it and I seem to have struck up a good friendship. I have noticed that it also smokes well in any size pipe of any bowl diameter or height. Another plus for me , personally.

It is therefore a very highly reccomended blend by me and very versitile for early morning or indeed as an all day smoke. I'd say order a bunch of it if you can find a suppier with a large inventory since you will probably want more.

-------------The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Bulk: Looks identical to SG's FVF, black-brown tobacco pressed then cut into 6x1x1/16" sheets, maybe with slightly more mottling of blonde. Bright CR Flake is lighter, compared to SG's FVF's much deeper and resinous smell. Bright CR does have a very vague Kendal floral fragrance. The supply I was sent is almost dry but the pressed cut sheet is pliable.

Packing & Burning: It is folded in half and twisted into smaller flakes or splinters. The rubbed out flake is just dumped into the bowl and lightly tamped. Stays lit if the puffing rate is controlled. Takes one or two relights down the bowl. Being a hard, rubbed out flake, BCRF burns for a long time.

Taste & Aroma: A light smoke, smooth, mild, slightly sweet lemon, a slight floral note, with a very light grassiness. A mild oily, nutty flavor develops around mid bowl.

Nicotine: medium and lingering

Room Note: Quite mild for a VA, a light VA fragrance

Overall: SG's FVF has a competitor. BCRF is slightly more complex due to the vague citrus component and the slight transition down the bowl.

Orlik's Golden Slice has a similar texture, a strip of VA, but is substantially milder. Another good comparison is McClelland's No. 27 Virginia.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Found this blend at my pipe shop & bought a 2- oz pouch, of which is almost gone. Verdict, I like it. I'm not a big fan of Lakeland Scents, but the pouch note did not lend evidence to it's presence. The flakes are thin & easily rubbed out, which I prefer with this tobacco. The sample I had was ready to smoke, no drying was required.

The initial light is a lemon citrus sweet. The floral component quickly fades, but the lemon citrus sweet remains constant with each draw, throughout the entire bowl. It sounds monotonous, but to my pallet, each draft was tasty & reliable. Mid bowl, a very slight nutty flavor appears & runs it's course till the end. All that remains at the end of the bowl is a nice white, fluffy powdery ash.

It is a unique blend, and won't supplant my mainstay VA's, but has earned a permanent spot in my cellar.

lisztman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lisztman (15)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Pretty much what OSR said. It's a quality tobacco, but it's so mild that it borders on bland. For now I'll stay with Orlik's Golden Slices.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (32)

This was the very first G H flake that I tried, and while there are many VA's I have not yet had the chance to smoke, I am certain Bright CR will remain a favorite. I loved this one from the first time I smoked it and was inspired to try more of the G H VA's. This is just a smooth, mild, slightly sweet VA. More full-bodied but not so sweet as something such as Orlik Golden Sliced, it leaves me feeling quite satisfied. I have not been bitten by it and think it could be an all-day smoke if one were so inclined. I keep a ridiculous amount of tobaccos in circulation but this is one that I find myself craving to smoke on a regular basis.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I like virginia flake and prefer the blends that have some nicotine to them; F&T Cut Plug is one of my favorites.

Bright CR is (as always from G&H) quality virginia but is a little flat when it comes to the body I get from other flakes.

For those who like a mild VA this is a good one and has absolutely no bite. For me, I'll have to stick with flakes with a little more body.

Excellent quality! Low on taste.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A very quality flake. Comprised of bright VA and some darker leaf. This tobacco has a refreshing undertone and, lends itself to being a good year round blend. It possesses a similar fragrant body to other G&H blends yet, not as pronounced as their dark cured leaf. The moisture content is a bit high but, when rubbed thoroughly and dried it is quite pleasing. I noticed more of a sweet-vanilla texture in this blend as opposed to the darker VA from G&H. This tobacco has bit more sugar content than other and, will age well. I've got a few oz's cellard for aging. Recommended for VA lovers, yet I think that better options are available from other blenders.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Virginia tobaccos from Africa and South America. Blended stacked pressed and sliced into long leathery bright flakes. Is this good? Absolutely, it's good. It is, as someone else has noted, very earthy,and tastes like tobacco. The room note is alomost cigarette like but sweeter. The taste is round and full, but in a sence mild as well. It does have a slight floral note,but it's restrained,and delicious.

Most highly recomended

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)

This blend DOES have a "bright" taste to it. This in contrast to Brown Flake which is earthy and medieval. CR Flake has a lively taste and a beautiful room smell.

I go through this stuff very quickly because it is an easy blend to smoke and is consistently good.

I think CR Flake would be a good tobacco for aromatic smokers to jump over to. Your pipes will thank you, trust me! ;-)

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is my favorite of the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co flakes thus far, barely edging out Bob's Chocolate for that top spot. I discovered it later than some of the others as I've worked my way through the forty-odd blends that are available from Gawith Hoggarth & Co.

Though others have compared it to Samuel Gawith blends, that's not what I'm getting here. It brighter (visually and on the palate) than most of the English style flakes that I've tried. In many respects, it reminds me more of North German style flakes in some respects. It's still obviously an English style flake-- the predominantly African & South American virginia leaf that constitutes this blend have their own character (a slightly more woody taste? Or is it my imagination?). That said, the lighter body of smoke and generally brighter characteristics on the palate are vaguely reminiscent of (if not necessarily similar to) Heinrich's Golden Sliced or Reiner Long Golden Flake (without the Perique) or Orlik Golden Sliced (without that slight honey top-note). Simply, it seems like an English style flake, made with English flake components in an English way, but styled on a German style flake (does that make any sense at all?).

Anyway, I love it. It's something of a best of both worlds for me. I love virginia flakes-- from both England and Germany/Denmark (without nitpicking, the Germany/Denmark flakes can probably be broken down into a number of sub-categories, but the macro-category suffices for this comparison).

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

A good companion to GH Brown Flake, CR has more top-range than its cousin, probably due to more bright Virginia. It can burn a bit hot if overstimulated, but a McClelland-trained Virginia smoker like myself had no problems in that area. While it is slightly more complex than Brown Flake, it has a smidge less of the earthy/cinnamony GH character that satisfies me so well. But it is very good.

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)

I have smoked about 10 bowls of this and think that I finally have it figured out enough to report what I?m seeing w/this blend.

I am not a regular flake smoker, but have tried various techniques over the years. After trying multiple times to use very lightly rubbed flakes, folding, rolling, what have you, I have finally settled on just rubbing it out, and this is now working for me.

This comes in a long, six inch or so, flake that is sometimes cut in half by tobacconists for the convenience of packaging. The flake is a mix of light and dark browns, with some bird?s eye showing. Flakes are thin, perhaps 2mm thick. The unsmoked scent is lightly floral and grassy.

This is a very nice flake. The initial flavor on first and on relights after a rested palate displate a floral scent that is pleasant and not overwhelming. It rapidly retreats to the background. I have noted a similar flavor in Sherlock Holmes. Both tobaccos are described as unflavored and natural by others; I do not know if this is due to limited familiarity with British Commonwealth VAs by me, or if the scent is natural and mischaracterized by me. The early flavors are very much in line with the unsmoked scent, dominated by a fairly light grassiness. I have not experienced any episode of ashy taste or bitterness, even with the 2-10 day periods that I use to smoke flakes at times.

All in all, a nice, light smoke that is not overwhelming on the palate.

September, 2002.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I only had a complimentary sample of this bulk tobacco and really didn't get a chance to experiment much with this blend. The nicely prepared pressed flakes contain predominantly medium brown to darker VAs. All you get here in tin aroma and taste is pure VAs. Some may find the uniform taste boring but if you like full, straight VAs, you might enjoy this. I wouldn't suggest this blend to a neophyte to straight VAs. I don't fully appreciate the influence of the exotic, bright VA leaves that apparently drives the cost to ~$40US/#. Overall, an enjoyable smoking experience but < some of my favorite VAs from McClelland and Stokkebye that are available @ lower unit cost.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

A full virginia flake , with the pressed smokey flavor similar to FVF . I like this one . A little most , some drying time helps this smoke cool .

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well after trying a handful of different Gawith, Hoggarth Flake, it seems as though Bright CR Flake may be the best offering. It does have the "lakeland" essence but to a much lower degree than the others I have tried which are simply a little tobacco with a lot of nasty flavoring. I like this offering because beneath the lakeland flavor I can actually taste tobacco. The shag offerings made by Gawith Hoggarth are by far my favorite and do not taste soapy or floral and its a damn shame that they don't make a flake like they do a shag. With this shipment of Bright CR Flake, I also ordered Ennerdale Flake and upon smelling it realized that it smelled like an old woman that had put on a bottle of perfume. I think I will buy a cob and might be able to smoke a whole bowl. I really do not understand why so many people in the UK and elsewhere like all of these casings that Gawith, Hoggarth puts in their flake tobacco. If I have to smoke one at this point it would be Bright CR Flake, while possessing less of the soapy flavor, I still prefer the flavor of a good dark fired flake. If you just have to try a Gawith, Hoggarth flake I strongly suggest this one over the others. If you can't stand the casings of this tobacco, chances are you will hate the other flakes made by this company. The Tobac lakes the nicotine of the Dark Flake, but also lacks as much topping as the Dark Flake and others. Someone please tell them to make a flake with Dark Birds Eye, or Kendal Kentucky, or Kendal Dark shags that taste like tobacco instead of getting the taste that you licked an old lady's neck that was covered in horrible soapy perfume.

Pipe Used: Brian, Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the soap factory

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Similar Blends: a less flavored version of one of the other Gawith, Hoggarth, flake tobaccos. They need to stick with what they make best, a good shag tobacco....

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, slight After Taste.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A nice medium Virginia, reminded me somewhat of Dunhill Flake. Nothing stood out to me in this tobacco, just a nice solid Virginia flake.

Soli Deo gloria!

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (138)

This is a difficult review for me to write. There's a lot to like here. The quality of the leaf is exceptional. It's cool and tasty. Needs drying to improve the burning qualities and reduce the anise flavoring. For those, like myself, who are unused to Lakeland tastes, this takes some getting used to. The anise dissipates as you progress down the bowl. DGT's very well. I won't buy this again, but I'll finish the 4oz I have, slowly. The 4star reviews below are well justified, but the taste reminds me of Mixture 79, but less floral, which I could never appreciate.

dogwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogwood (17)

I got the unscented bulk... This one is for the virginia lover. Maybe a little to boring for the smoker who likes a more complex smoke. This is top quality carolina. It's sweet, lightly scented with something or other.

I reach for this in the morning or as an all day smoke.

Lombard65 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lombard65 (48)

I smoked lots of tobacco flakes, one in particular that I bought in Edinburgh in 1992, it was a dream. As what I have not yet found, but this is really good, lets just like anise aftertaste. I bought 2 oz by 4Noggins to prove it, came entirely perfect, very humid as I like. For lovers of the VA, my advice is to at least try it. Smoked in a pipe straight and small, with very light load, appreciate its great taste. I would recommend it to anyone, but perhaps not very easy to smoke very humid. To me the VA, like so, as the time in Scotland!

Pipe smoker, find this flake!

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)

A wonderful virginia-blend and a great introduction to the Floral-lakeland-tobacco-world. It has a very light floral taste/aroma...NOT soapy or perfumy. Once lit up you'll bring spring to life.

Fantastic natural sweetness. Indeed a great allday smoke.

It's really one of my favourites. Preferably smoked in a smaller to medium sized bowl.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

half a year has passed since my first review of bcrf, and it's time for some additional praise: this is quite simply one of the finest virginis available. very clean tasting, with discreet sweetness and citrusy-woodsy flavours, and a remarkable depth considering that it is mild-medium. it is now one of my absolute favourites. an exquisite, refined tobacco!

with this one and the virginias from sam gawith available, one can hardly ask for more. but i still look forward to trying other probably splendid offerings from g&h :-)

be aware, though, that the "nina ricci"-content - the etherical flavour barely noticable - that i mentioned in the first review, seems to vary. my first batch had enough in the room note for my wife to notice it, the second did not.

update: last night, wife described room note as "nina ricci" :-/

05.31.2007 what briarrabbit said, except that i find it to be of medium strength :-)

Fuzzypeg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fuzzypeg (9)

Absolutely first class. Reminds me of Sobranie Flake, which I smoked in another life. Beautiful, untainted, cool smoking Virginia, but not easily come by in England. Glengarry and Bright CR are both a better prospect than Ennerdale. I regret giving the latter four stars.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

Just finished sampling for the second time a few non-flavored tobaccos from G & H. Brown Flake, Curly Cut and Bright CR FLake were all smoked in two separate batches the last two years. After finishing the second batch I have to say that Bright CR Flake is definately the one I would reach for again. It has a clean fresh virginia taste that I didn't find as pronounced in the other tobaccos. Nice long flakes with great aroma and perfect moisture level for easy smoking. Each bowl left me wanting for more which I couldn't say for the others.