100% pure virginia leaf with no additional flavours made from a blend of Brazilian, Zimbabwe and Malawi bright Virginia leaf. The pressed tobacco as with all flakes, is left to mature before cutting into flakes, to allow for the best combination of flavours.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
PackagingBulk, 50 grams tin
PipesAndCigars.com
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (11)

The Bright CR Flake is my favorite Virginia flake.

This nice tobacco is being pushed aside by the famous Full Virginia Flake of Samuel Gawith, and in my opinion having not the acceptance it deserves.

Opening the bulk bag of this tobacco I prime the lightness perfume of "Lakeland". It is a natural aroma, not an artificial one and as I learned that "secret" aroma is coming from the flower of the plant Geranium Rose {"Rose Geranium"} (Pelargonium Graveolens).

The bright colour flakes, "shiny" and "tawny", are nicely chopped, and can be rubbed very easily and comfortably filled the bowl of the pipe.

Varieties of Virginia tobaccos from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi ripen to give a light and creamy taste. Gentle to moderate nicotine, can comfortably be the first morning pipe smoking of the day.

Delicious, with flavors alternating the natural aroma of tobacco and dry alfalfa hay, wet soil (sense of earthy soil after rain), with brief "passages" of pepper, flowers and fruits (I taste somewhere citron) but also some suspicion of cinnamon and anise.

All these result from the excellent quality of tobacco combined to make this beautiful flake rather than adding artificial fragrances. The "Lakeland" aroma sense I think it originates from the common area of production, ripening and storage of tobacco Gawith & Hoggarth. Some smokers call it "soapiness", I still did not felt it at all bad as a perfume, imperceptible to light, with an especially pleasant feeling of flowers and fruits.

By drying the tobacco yields even better, offering comfortable and pleasant smoking that can be enjoyed throughout the day.

Smoked without terrible swings and delicious surges from the top to the bottom of the bowl, some smokers may characterize it as drab or one-dimensional, I again found it delicious and very enjoyable from start to finish smoking it.

Not "bite" at all, it creates no liquid and leaves "clean" light gray ash finishes and staining very little the pipe filter.

In long-term ageing, it gets "sugars" (creating crystal sugars in the flakes) and gives an even more complex flavor, slightly sweet, creamy smoke.

I am smoking the Bright CR Flake in pipes of all types and materials (straight, bent, half bent, with filter and without filter, made by briar, olive wood, pear wood and corn combs) always enjoying a very good and enjoyable smoking.

Perhaps those smokers who are looking for more "loud" nicotine hit and stronger flavor intensity Virginia tobaccos may not be extremely charmed by Bright CR Flake.

I certainly appreciate this Virginia flake a lot and consider it an excellent pipe tobacco of highest quality that can be smoked very pleasant every time of day or night!

Highly recommended!

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Bright CR is one of (if not the) lightest G&H blends I have had the pleasure to smoke. It won't beat up the tongue and palate, but certainly has enough flavor to satisfy. I smoked it a variety of ways but fully rubbed out and dried for an hour or so before loading up seemed to work best. It's a little steamy if smoked moist, IMO.

If you appreciate Lakeland style flavor in lighter doses, Bright CR would make a fine choice.

The Lakeland topping is floral, but not strong. The grassy/hay-like citrusy sweet Virginia also has light earth and fruit notes. The nic-hit is just past the mild level. Won't bite, but it does need to sipped a little for best effect. Burns fairly cool and clean and a little slow although the flake isn't as dense as some can be. No real complexity to speak of here, but it does have a consistent flavor from start to finish. Needs a few relights, and leaves little moisture in the bowl. It can be an all day smoke.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Nice presentation of light-colored virginia flake. This was a small bulk purchase. Very, very slight Lakeland aroma in the bag.

I agree that this is a light-tasting flake, probably the lightest in the G&H stable that I've smoked. Not a ton of flavor, this is a mild version of the basic Lakeland flake, minus the florals. Certainly less flavorful than any of the G&H or SG flakes that I've smoked. No bite even when provoked, although it can get a trifle testy and bitter. The flavor is grassy and lacks the usual virginia character I'm familiar with from this blender. It's also lacking anything resembling complexity. Just a nice, steady smoke for those who want to sample a virginia flake from this region without getting the floral, flavored character famously associated with G&H. There is the faintest trickle of that character but it goes away quickly.

There are many, many fine Virginia flakes on the market. This is far from the best but it's not the worst, either. Worth a sample for those that prefer a mild, grassy flavor that won't overwhelm. I'm giving this 3 stars for what it is but it's probably more of a 2 for my personal taste. Just not enough going on for me.

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

While doing a year end cleaning of my pipe room, to my wife’s delight I might add, I came upon an ounce of Bright CR. It had been sitting for two years in a jelly jar that was not airtight. As one would image, it was dry as a bone. But after reading comments here on TR about smoking it dry, I stuffed a pipe and wow! I have always enjoyed many of the GH blends, but I tend to lean more to the darker or more cased GH blends. This is by far the lightest GH blend I have smoked thus far. The unique Virginia flavor, I believe, is from the processing of this blend or the origin of the leaf (or both) rather than a topping. The flavor for me is on the medium to full side of things. It’s lightly sweet and complex all the way to the end of the bowl. I enjoy this far more than FVF. I can only imagine how good this blend must be when properly aged. Great stuff!

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I don't think this flake is exactly light. It is a fairly mild and simple Virginia flake though, and kind of reminds me of a milder version of FVF. I got the full 17.5 oz. box because it was on sale, and was greeted by nearly perfect 6'' flakes when I opened it. I promptly cut them in thirds and stuffed them into a couple mason jars to age, and have enjoyed a few bowls thus far. This is the essence of an unflavored Lakeland (there is a slight hint of a scent, probably from being in the same room as the likes of Ennerdale Flake!) and offers a pure (African and South American) Virginia experience. Don't look for complexity here, but lovers of Virginia flake with no added flavors will rejoice! I will add more if this shows me new facets after a couple years in the jar, but for now, just good, clean VA smoke, and I'm so glad GH is around to deliver (deliver being the operative word) a flake like this to the US when SG can't, or won't do so.

Update 3-4-12: I love this stuff, but I hate myself for not buying more than one pound (well, 500g) last summer when it was $43 a pound and not over $60! It has even improved a bit since then in the jar. Opening the jar, it kind of smells to me like fine tea. The appearance of the flake is beautiful; fine sugar crystals when you move it around under the light, a "furry" look and feel around the edges, but not mold; some kind of breakdown of the tobacco in the aging process. Indeed, this flake has a nice, almost meaty texture when rubbing it out. It's one of the finest Virginia flakes I've smoked, and the slight hint of Lakeland scents one gets from time to time, as I said in my original review, is probably only due to merely being in the same room as such tobaccos as Ennerdale and Kendal Flake...

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

A very light VA. Not much nic. so don't grab this if you have a craving. Still this is a very well made flake. The VA's are slightly grassy with light citrus notes. They have a little earthy note that comes and goes and there is a very slight woodsy note as well. Finally, I get a sweet toasted grain note as well. The VA's because of the region they come from do have a very slight floral note but this is not the "lakeland scent" that everyone talks about. All that said, the flavors are very mild overall and it will not blow out your taste buds and ruin any following bowls. I would recommend this one to someone looking to try a mild VA or just getting started on VA's. It was a very nice smoke in the late summer afternoons of August. I do not enjoy heavy blends in the heat and this was a very good blend for that purpose.

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

An enjoyable Virginia flake with a just a touch of floral essence on the finish.

Bright CR displays a certain level of maturity in its smoking characteristics that I find quite compelling. It tastes like a well aged Virginian tobacco. I have noticed this flavor trait in both recently purchased and aged samples from my cellar. Bright CR is very mellow with no edges. The flavor strikes an even balance between grassy-sweet and earthy. Bright CR Flake isn’t a complex tasting blend but it does have a certain depth to it. It burns cool and it’s easy on the tongue. The smoke is soft and smooth with a subtle peppery mouthfeel.

Now there are fellow pipers who claim that they can detect no flavoring here, but I definitely taste a sliver of a floral topping, especially on exhale or when retro-haling.

Altogether, a tasty and casual Virginia flake from Gawith Hoggarth.

Pipe Used: Cob

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Unlike some of the other reviewers, who needed to dry their samples, mine came very dry, even a bit 'crunchy' in parts. This resisted any attempts to hydrate, and so burnt a bit hotter (but not anywhere near uncomfortably so) and faster than other GH flakes.

I could detect some faint florals, but if this was from a hint of Lakeland florals or from the 'bright' VAs, I could not really be certain. Otherwise, a pleasant, straightforward 'bright' VA flavor and room note. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is probably not.

Pipe Used: various briars and meerschaums

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

leafy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
leafy (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Two weeks into smoking this blend it has revealed itself in the pipe. At first it smoked clumped with sweetness fuming off the top but I now rub the whole lot our (it comes as loose flakes) and air it overnight, spread on a tray. That does the trick and a week on I welcome it as confirmed in my rotation. It smokes with a nutty, elegantly harmonised Virginia taste. To date, I smoke it exclusively in filter briar and meerschaum filter pipes as found it too raw in plain pipes but will persist with plain to see if it matures therein. Medium to mild but not tame, patience will be rewarded here as the pipe builds sufficient cake to yield a surprisingly good smoke and one you will want to keep.

Effluvinator Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Effluvinator (51)

This was the very first G H flake that I tried, and while there are many VA's I have not yet had the chance to smoke, I am certain Bright CR will remain a favorite. I loved this one from the first time I smoked it and was inspired to try more of the G H VA's. This is just a smooth, mild, slightly sweet VA. More full-bodied but not so sweet as something such as Orlik Golden Sliced, it leaves me feeling quite satisfied. I have not been bitten by it and think it could be an all-day smoke if one were so inclined. I keep a ridiculous amount of tobaccos in circulation but this is one that I find myself craving to smoke on a regular basis.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (263)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Even though it claims 100% VAs without any flavors added, I do perceive some Lakeland-ish essence on the unburnt tobacco! Lovely, long flake cut with citrusy-sweet bag-note from my sample, that also holds some honey tones and maybe a whiff of grass to it. It's a joy fiddling with these long ribbons of flakes.

Also in the taste there's definetly some (very mild) Lakeland essence to it! Whether it's "contaminated" by being produced next to Lakeland tobaccos, or they added it and claim it to be unflavored...it's there, especially in the first few puffs and then fading in the first quarter of the bowl. Besides that I was surprised that it has some decent spice to it that's slowly overtaken by a rich grassy, decent citrusy and moderatly sweet aroma that is building up quickly. Has some delicate honey-ish sweetness to it, maybe a bit of hay notes by times. The spiciness fades after the first few puffs, but some of it remains present throughout the bowl. Pleasant!

Not the best straight Virginia I had, but certainly not a bad one! Deservers 3/4 stars to me.

I was thinking this would harmonize with some blending Perique, so I set up a bowlful of it in a 65(BrightCR)/35(Blending Perique) ratio (yea..I like me Perique...:-P) to try... and it's delicious! 20-25% would be enough though, but it adds a peppery, sour-fruitiness to it, that gives depth and intensity to the aroma. Worth trying!

Pipe Used: Clay Pipes

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Bright CR Flake.

The flakes are medium in build, nicely hydrated, and easy to rub, but it smokes equally as well folded and stuffed.

The burn is faultless, as is the temperature from it. The smoke has a milder Virginia flavour, with a very mild Lakeland topping. It gives a recognizable character, without monopolizing the smoke. The delicately added flavour works pleasantly alongside the easy-going flavour from the Va: it isn't too sharp, but quite calm and sweet tasting. I can't see this biting anybody, it's comfortable beyond belief!

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: pleasant.

This is a nice enough smoke, albeit, it becomes a touch boring after a while. Still, for the quality it gets three stars:

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Jekyll & Hyde #05

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

glondus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
glondus (4)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

very easy tobacco with a cool and tasty smoke. nice and easy virginia flake tobacco.do not rub it to pack, leave as is for a better taste and cooler smoke

Pipe Used: bend

A simple, but nice tasting flake. Mild Lakeland over a hay-like Virginia. A nice bit of sweetness. This thing couldn't bite you if it wanted too. Very smooth and cool smoking. Very satisfying.

Mild to medium in body and taste. Flavoring (Lakeland floral) is mild. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: Chacom cutty, MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I really wished I would have bought more than an ounce of this one as I think I went through this one a little too quickly as I was starting to garner some love for this one.

I got this in a GH ordering frenzy where I ordered 1 ounce samples of several of their blends. I had been curious about this one for awhile, so it was one of the first ones thrown in my cart.

First off, it is GH so a certain amount of Lakeland essence (or soap for many) should be expected. I personally like this essence so It does not bother me. If the faintest whiff of this bugs you, then I will save you as this will have a light bit of that essence to it. All GH blends I have tried to date have this, they also have something else. A complete lack of any bite. I think GH makes the coolest smoking blends of any blender out there. And this one is no exception to that.

The name bright flake, referencing the fact that it is all bright Virginias seems to convey a sense that this could be a bit of hot smoke, but not at all. It is well behaved as all the other GH blends I have tried. I do find the Virginias to be very mild in body and perhaps in flavor. The topping does tend to play tricks with the latter diagnosis. When I first started into my one ounce sample I was not that impressed with it, but my appreciation did grow as time went on.

There is no doubt that I will be purchasing more of this and will put up some to age as well.

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (34)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I've just tried a bowlful of this as a sample. I left it to dry out for a while, but I think even longer would be better as I had to regularly swap my pipe out with a cleaner. Really nice taste, uncomplicated and earthy with virginia brightness. I'm a huge Gawith Hoggarth fan and this one does not disappoint. I think it would make a good summer smoke. Only negatives I would say is that it is not very complex, just a nice straight virginia

Pipe Used: corn cob

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (36)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

The sweetness of this flake is remarkable. It is a light, ethereal sweetness that is never cloying, and leaves the pallette refreshed.

I rubbed out several flakes that I have aged in a jar for about three years and loaded a very large Nording freehand. Immediately I was greeted by a sweet, clean citrus flavor. There was just a hint of floral scent. I agree with several reviewers' speculation that any floral notes probably come from the atmosphere of the G&H building. In any case the floral note combines with the superb tobacco flavors to tease my nose and palette with whispers of frankincense. A nonsmoker friend noticed the frankincense effect in the room note. He liked the smell as I puffed away on my balcony.

Even after three years in the jar the flakes were moist enough to drench my Nording. If you live in a humid area, drying is a good idea. Once dried the steamy bite is no longer a factor.

The nicotine seems pretty light to me, but it was enough to keep me comfortable. I tend to puff a little too fast early in the bowl when the nicotine offering is as light as it is in this blend. If I am not careful this can cause bite which would not otherwise be a problem.

This flake is a great chance to enjoy the exotic tropical tobaccos G&H uses without the distraction of floral topping.

Pipe Used: Nording unfinished freehand

chimney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chimney (2)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

If you like the sound of acoustic string instruments, you will like this blend. It reminds me of wooden guitar and violin, clean, warm, comforting, simple in a complex way.

It needs some time to dry a little bit, otherwise will be steamy and pale. Better performs in a smaller bowl, especially when the fold & stuff method is used.

Sometimes, very little "lakeland flavor" appears at the first two or three puffing, but fades away very soon, not sure if G&H does this on purpose or it's just an unintentional inflection from the lakeland enviroment.

The room note is plain, OK for both smokers and non-smokers, I guess.

balkan_boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
balkan_boy (49)

I've had a few bowls of this fine flake before putting it in a jar for ageing, and was surprised how they've brought up that fine lakeland note with so little casing. When it came, it was somewhat too wet and required a good amount of drying before packing. Still doesn't burn perfectly, but it's ok. Surely it's one of the most quality VA flakes out there. I like that nice fresh lakeland aroma that stays present through first half of the bowl. After that it gets a bit blunt, but still delicious. In a nutshell, it's awesome. Puff it easy, it tends to bite if not cautious.

ven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ven (16)

I wanted a good, basic flake Virginia, for mixing and smoking straight, so I tried this Bright CR Flake. Perfect for what I needed. The Virginia tobaccos are the stars, here. Nothing else interferes with the flavors. Straightforward and high caliber quality tobaccos. Love it straight, but personally I really loved mixing with it. I needed a major Virginia in my mix, and this was exemplary. Tastes distinguished, and delicious. Very, very glad I followed the advice of some of the good reviews here, because this is very satisfying Virginia tobacco. Rather a treasure, this.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (47)

I actually backed into this one. Started with the Glengarry and found that a bit much. Then I read the Pipestud's review and stabbed into a bit of this. I rubbed it out and let it set and fell in love. This stuff is just pure Virginia with a bit of a scent that you pick up as you go. Just love to smell it burning vs. the delight of puffing. It makes a bad pipe taste better and a great pipe taste terrific.

TW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TW (34)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A mild tasting, smooth pure Virginia flake. No trace of any toppings in my sample, no Lakeland florals either.

I find it's smokeable without needing drying if rubbed out fully, but does need drying if smoked as broken flake or rolled and stuffed.

It tastes pretty much as a mild Virginia should really - not very complex, but smooth and pleasant with very little bite. Nothing about it is particularly outstanding or attention grabbing, but there's nothing particularly against it either. Makes a good first smoke of the day.

Well worth a try if Virginias are your thing.

Update, 25th November 2012

I've really come to like this over the last few months. In particular that it has the virginia "high notes" that darker flakes like FVF generally lack, and is actually fuller and more complex than them as a result. A good all day tobacco.

bence Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bence (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

One of my favorite VA. Amazing, pleasant baccy, with beautiful mild smoke. It leaves a nice fragrance around the pipesmoker, so it is absolutely 'passive friendly'. One of the finest natural taste va blend. 4 stars.

itsKoit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
itsKoit (5)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Lovely mottled brown flakes in perfect form, they breakdown easily but don't lend themselves to rolling or folding very well in my experience. A very light tobacco that tastes like sweet hay to me at least, with some age it deepens a bit, picking up a hint of black pepper to stand along the sweetness. No real casing or flavor that I can pick up, not even a lakeland aroma, but some say there's something extra there, but I've yet to see it. Might not be for everyone due to the almost extreme mildness, but for me I could smoke this all day. This tobacco comes highly recommended from me, try it in a conical bowl for best results!

SmokeQuest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeQuest (10)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a good all day tobacco, it's mild, slightly sweet, burns relatively cool with no bite or nicotine kick. This tobacco is in the same genera as Samuel Gawith Medium Virginia Flake with a little more flavor.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Found this blend at my pipe shop & bought a 2- oz pouch, of which is almost gone. Verdict, I like it. I'm not a big fan of Lakeland Scents, but the pouch note did not lend evidence to it's presence. The flakes are thin & easily rubbed out, which I prefer with this tobacco. The sample I had was ready to smoke, no drying was required.

The initial light is a lemon citrus sweet. The floral component quickly fades, but the lemon citrus sweet remains constant with each draw, throughout the entire bowl. It sounds monotonous, but to my pallet, each draft was tasty & reliable. Mid bowl, a very slight nutty flavor appears & runs it's course till the end. All that remains at the end of the bowl is a nice white, fluffy powdery ash.

It is a unique blend, and won't supplant my mainstay VA's, but has earned a permanent spot in my cellar.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

Just finished sampling for the second time a few non-flavored tobaccos from G & H. Brown Flake, Curly Cut and Bright CR FLake were all smoked in two separate batches the last two years. After finishing the second batch I have to say that Bright CR Flake is definately the one I would reach for again. It has a clean fresh virginia taste that I didn't find as pronounced in the other tobaccos. Nice long flakes with great aroma and perfect moisture level for easy smoking. Each bowl left me wanting for more which I couldn't say for the others.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (43)

This blend DOES have a "bright" taste to it. This in contrast to Brown Flake which is earthy and medieval. CR Flake has a lively taste and a beautiful room smell.

I go through this stuff very quickly because it is an easy blend to smoke and is consistently good.

I think CR Flake would be a good tobacco for aromatic smokers to jump over to. Your pipes will thank you, trust me! ;-)

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

The flakes are neat, not very thick, pliable and a very nice aroma of dried hay, decaying grass and damp earth with a whiff of something like milk chocolate.

Bright CR Flake seems to be as straight a Virginia as it gets and yet I do get the feeling that it comes from the Gawith factory. It is of a solid medium strength with no rough edges with a soft creamy mouthfeel. It is very flavorful with yeasty aromas dominating but it is also grassy with floral notes as well which seem to be from the tobacco only. Bright CR Flake is one of the easiest tobaccos to handle and smoke that I’ve ever encountered. This is an unreserved four star Virginia flake!

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (64)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

GH&C Bright CR Flake is a tobacco par excellence. It delivers wonderful flavor from the first light to the last puff.

The long, light brown flakes are perfectly cut and smell of sweet, high grade Virginia tobacco. It a little moist as delivered and so benefits from a half hour or so of drying, It rubs out nearly to a shag, packs and lights easily and needs few relights.

So, how does it taste? In a word, delicious. Upon lighting, the Lake Essence is the first thing you notice -- honeysuckle and lavender -- but it's mild and doesn't overwhelm the taste of the tobacco. The florals die down fairly quickly and, about a third of the way through the smoke, the rich and citrusy Virginias come to the fore -- think marmelade on dark toast. Toward the last third of the smoke, the flavors become darker, reminiscent of peat and leather. From first to last, the tobacco is exceptionally sweet. BCRF will not bite no matter how hard you puff but, to get the most out of it, take it slow and savor it. I imagine that, after a year or so of aging, it will be even sweeter and richer.

I notice that many reviewers compare it to SG FVF. To me, it is more reminiscent of SG MVF, which I find sweeter than FVF.

If you like rich Virginias and don't mind a bit of that famous (infamous?) GH&C taste, I think you will love this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Barling African Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Recently purchased.

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith Medium Virginia Flake.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Bright CR Flake is a pure straight Virginia of the best quality. It is from the side of Lakeland tobacco with an extremely mild flavoring (Kendal flavoring) and no other extra flavours added. Great tobacco, you can smoke it straight or as a base of your own mixtures. Perfect with Perique in the amount you prefer. Opening the pouch you can smell a very good tea/tobacco scent and smoking it the room note is pleasant. In my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 9 and 3 stars.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

This is a great all day flake. I detect a slight floral aroma in the bag, but it doesn't seem to transfer to the smoke. G&H always seems to have the moisture level spot on, as I don't recall ever having to perform an 8 second nuke like I do with Sam Gawith flakes. Preparing this flake can take a bit, as the flake seems to be pressed quite well. Not a very complex blend, but it does possess great Va flavors, and isn't boring. Just a great straight forward tobacco flavor. Lights and smokes well, I find it works best if loosely loaded, lit, and the final pack is done with the tamper after the initial light.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Is this one of the Lakelands? I dare to say it is. For a non-aromatics, I find this tobacco rather soapy, but not in a bad way. It will dissipate as you progress in your smoke though. There is this floral aroma in it which is quite apparent from the outset as you light up your pipe. I find the virginia tobacco, on the other hand, somewhat spicy and full flavour. Some reviewers seem to be saying that this flake is rather mild, but this is probably due to the Lakeland additives and not so more because of the tobacco itself. I did not find it strong enough in the nicotine department though, but it seems to be quite fulfilling anyway. The appearance of the flakes are simply gorgeous with gold bird eyes scattered all along, but they will benefit from some drying time. As they are very easy to crumble, this tobacco is better smoked as broken flake, so my advise is "don't rub it all out." Not a bad smoke, this isn't, but I'd rather expend my money somewhere else

Pipe Used: Parker

Gustaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gustaw (5)

I remember that at first it wasn't my favourite tobacco. Mostly because it was one of my first pure blend. Now I just love the smell and taste, and how it burns to gray ash. I just love it truly emotionally.

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Well after trying a handful of different Gawith, Hoggarth Flake, it seems as though Bright CR Flake may be the best offering. It does have the "lakeland" essence but to a much lower degree than the others I have tried which are simply a little tobacco with a lot of nasty flavoring. I like this offering because beneath the lakeland flavor I can actually taste tobacco. The shag offerings made by Gawith Hoggarth are by far my favorite and do not taste soapy or floral and its a damn shame that they don't make a flake like they do a shag. With this shipment of Bright CR Flake, I also ordered Ennerdale Flake and upon smelling it realized that it smelled like an old woman that had put on a bottle of perfume. I think I will buy a cob and might be able to smoke a whole bowl. I really do not understand why so many people in the UK and elsewhere like all of these casings that Gawith, Hoggarth puts in their flake tobacco. If I have to smoke one at this point it would be Bright CR Flake, while possessing less of the soapy flavor, I still prefer the flavor of a good dark fired flake. If you just have to try a Gawith, Hoggarth flake I strongly suggest this one over the others. If you can't stand the casings of this tobacco, chances are you will hate the other flakes made by this company. The Tobac lakes the nicotine of the Dark Flake, but also lacks as much topping as the Dark Flake and others. Someone please tell them to make a flake with Dark Birds Eye, or Kendal Kentucky, or Kendal Dark shags that taste like tobacco instead of getting the taste that you licked an old lady's neck that was covered in horrible soapy perfume.

Pipe Used: Brian, Cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the soap factory

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Similar Blends: a less flavored version of one of the other Gawith, Hoggarth, flake tobaccos. They need to stick with what they make best, a good shag tobacco....

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 54;

Rated Percentage = 90%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, slight After Taste.

dk-piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dk-piper (25)

A wonderful virginia-blend and a great introduction to the Floral-lakeland-tobacco-world. It has a very light floral taste/aroma...NOT soapy or perfumy. Once lit up you'll bring spring to life.

Fantastic natural sweetness. Indeed a great allday smoke.

It's really one of my favourites. Preferably smoked in a smaller to medium sized bowl.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I like virginia flake and prefer the blends that have some nicotine to them; F&T Cut Plug is one of my favorites.

Bright CR is (as always from G&H) quality virginia but is a little flat when it comes to the body I get from other flakes.

For those who like a mild VA this is a good one and has absolutely no bite. For me, I'll have to stick with flakes with a little more body.

Excellent quality! Low on taste.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I only had a complimentary sample of this bulk tobacco and really didn't get a chance to experiment much with this blend. The nicely prepared pressed flakes contain predominantly medium brown to darker VAs. All you get here in tin aroma and taste is pure VAs. Some may find the uniform taste boring but if you like full, straight VAs, you might enjoy this. I wouldn't suggest this blend to a neophyte to straight VAs. I don't fully appreciate the influence of the exotic, bright VA leaves that apparently drives the cost to ~$40US/#. Overall, an enjoyable smoking experience but < some of my favorite VAs from McClelland and Stokkebye that are available @ lower unit cost.