With only slightly over 50% (54%) flue-cured virginias from Brazil, Zimbabwe and Malawi and 31% dark fired leaf this is a fairly strong smoke. The addition of some sweeter sun cured leaf from Malawi and the rich cigar type notes from the dark air cured Indian grade help to sound off the blend. The special Virginia casings complement the top notes derived from the addition of sharper flavours including oil of cloves and rose geranium.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutPlug
Strength
Taste

3.2
Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Once again, another 19th Century beauty! This is a robust blend--somewhat stronger than Rum Flake and stronger still than Ennerdale Flake (but not as strong as most of the ropes & twists). Bosun Cut Plug lacks Ennerdale's fruity component and some of its bitterness while providing a bit more of an essence influence (due to the clove oil, et. al.) than found in Rum Flake (rum, licorice and maple sugar). It is possible to compare Bosun Cut Plug (BCP) with Coniston Cut Plug (CCP), perhaps its closest relative, but BCP is influenced more by its essences and it is stronger in power and flavor complexity than CCP. To be sure Bosun Cut Plug contains some rather distinct herbal and floral qualities, but I don't believe that these agents override the flavors of the strong tobaccos--they complement them. It is also possible to compare some of the flavor components in this blend to a few older, now discontinued (?) blends like St. Bruno, Condor, and even Brindley's Flake, but the overall character of Bosun Cut Plug is more civilized than any of these. This is one of my favorite tobacco blends not only because it stands on its own, but it immediately reminds me of some of those wonderful blends lost forever. The "scented" G&H tobaccos tend to inspire either a "love it" or "hate it" reaction. Most tobacco "purists" reject them almost universally.

UPDATE: I find that I have lost some of my taste for this tobacco--it happens! I still enjoy it, but not as much as I once did. So, while I might recommend it, I no longer HIGHLY recommend it.

Pipe Used: ALPHA Freehand & Medium Meerschaums

Purchased From: Various

Similar Blends: Coniston Cut Plug (CCP) is not quite as strong and dark in flavor; the herbal, floral and spice elements in CCP are different and a bit less intrusive than BCP.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I didn't expect to like this tobacco. The 'floral' scent was overpowering at first. Well, actually, it kind of stays overpowering.

Unlike other Lakeland flakes I have tried, the floral aspect of the topping actually receeded a bit but the clove oil seems to hold its own well down the bowl.

The underlying VA asserts itself now and then, but not often enough to make this a regular smoke for me.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (73)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

- Lakeland style scented broke flake

I can initally only descibe this as "Turbo Spice!" With a significant proportion of dark fired leaf and it's clove scenting together pushes it over the top for me. The flavor with that clove casing was peircing and suggestive of a bite. Not overly floral in aroma but clove/spice, and a little "soapy" in flavor that translates to a sort of bitternes. Just a little intense for me but for someone else, who knows?

- Cautiously not recommended

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (165)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

On its own Bosun Cut Plug gets a bit boring after some time. I used my supply to perk up an otherwise wishy-washy blend, and that BCP did very well. I doubt if I will acquire more.

gee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gee (7)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I must admit that I get a little annoyed with reviews of Lakeland tobaccos that complain about soapiness and urinal salts. Part of the problem is that it makes me want to be a fan of all of them, not say a single bad word. Its all a little like reading a latakia smoker rant and rave about how bad cherry flavoured tobacco from denmark is. If I accidentally tried something flavoured with cherries and I despised it I simply wouldn't smoke it, and I certainly wouldn't write a review. My ranting and raving would mean nothing. Thankfully, slowly the quantity of reviews is beginning to bring the ranking of Lakeland tobaccos up to where they deserve to be. As a result I do not feel too bad giving this a lower rating then polemics would entice me otherwise. Now don't get me wrong this is a fine tobacco, it even has a nice virginia sweetness, but what is missing is precisely the flavour. This is a tobacco I would recommend to someone who had never smoked S.G. or G,H before. But it has neither the strength nor the exquisite flavours that one finds in Coniston Cut Plug, or Dark Flake Scented or 1792. I would say in fact that the flavour is somewhat disappointing. Out of the bag it smells wonderful, but the flavour quickly vanishes. It is the equivalent of Early Morning Pipe for someone expecting Latakia. One thing I have noticed is that in smoking the Lakeland tobaccos I have come to appreciate Latakia differently than prior. My taste buds have come to understand it not as tobacco but as a flavour. This is an odd discovery, it is both obvious and a little sacreligous. But thinking of latakia and even perique as flavourings, helps me to understand the way the lakeland flavourings work. Bosun Cut Plug I would say works, but not with the same intensity or persistence as some of its heavier cousins.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really dig me some lakelands and the stronger the better. With BCP, it took me a while to get by the initial sharpness I was experiencing at the charring light thru the first 1/4 of the bowl. By sharpness, I do not mean bite. The scenting was so over the top, it refused to settle down until a point somewhere between the first quarter of the bowl and the halfway point.

Once I discovered that smoking this one bone dry and rubbed out was the way to go for me, it became part of the rotation and has been in it every since. With that prep method The medium/full tobacco flavor and aroma accentuate each other in a harmonious way. The sharpness is gone, the smoke is much smoother and the mouth feel is borderline creamy throughout the entire bowl.

When in the mood for something full, rich and Floral, instead of Tonquin based, this is my choice.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Bosun Cut Plug . One of my first Plug tobaccos and a nice surprise . It has a splendid floral aromatic note to it which is similar almost to St Bruno , only much stronger . It has quite a high Nicotine level which may be too strong for some ! Unlit it has a good moisture level and is easy to rub and fill with . It gives a steady burn which is easy to ignite . It does not give any bite to me either but that is different for everyone ! Worth a try !

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin

Purchased From: Smoke King

Reggietom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Reggietom (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I love this stuff, after my everyday tobaccos, Erinmore Mixture and Condor this is definitely my favourite tobacco. Not to strong, doesn't burn too hot and for me there is no tongue bite.
It's floral, fruity flavour is a dream and an hour puffing on this must be like being in heaven.

Pipe Used: Peterson Donegal

Age When Smoked: New, and aged

Purchased From: McGahey Exeter, Invicta Briars, The Tobacco Bar

Similar Blends: Ennerdale Flake, Erinmore Mixture.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This GH Lakeland is between their Grasmere Flake and Ennerdale Flake (both of which I like very much) in many ways. In terms of the various Lakelands, it has more going on and is more pronounced than Grasmere, but not as much or as strongly scented as Ennerdale. It is also between the two in N.

The sample of 'cut plug' I had looked mostly like somewhat shredded flake, which is how most flakes look when I load them in any event. It lit well, smoked slow. Given the current difficulty in getting Grasmere in the US, I would imagine I'll be turning to this once my jars of GF run out.

Peter Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peter Piper (41)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Another winner from our friends in Kendal. And definitely a tobacco to challenge any preconceptions you may have about so-called "Lakeland" blends.

The composition and texture of the blend is first-class, the note from the pack only the mildest of florals.

Pack your pipe gently, light it and sip, it will reward a little care. Smokey (if that's not an oxymoron) and rich, there is the subtlest hint of something like rose water and perhaps a touch of citrus. Just like seasoning on a fine food, if it is done delicately the flavours are enhanced. This is what has been achieved here. Tobacco flavours plus.

Recommended.

pipeofbriaropenfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipeofbriaropenfire (9)
Strong Medium Medium Pleasant

I bought this for the N hit and for me it hits pretty hard. I like the aroma! It smells to me like sandalwood and leaves a very masculine room note. I joke with my wife that it's man air freshener. She doesn't care for the room note.

jimmy2shirts Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jimmy2shirts (2)
Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked Ennerdale for a while, but for me the casing was a little overpowering .With Bosun Cut Plug the flavouring is perfect.The rich virginias are highly satisfying.Smoked slowly in a small pipe I have a half-hour of tasty,sweet pleasure..with a pleasant amount of Nicotine.

Orchid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Orchid (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't understand why this isn't more widely popular. This is my very favourite tobacco. I smoke it in the evenings and when I'm in company, saving my daytime smoke, the classically English (but stinky) Samual Gawiths 'Squadron Leader' for when I'm alone. This tobacco, Bosun's Cut Plug, is the best of all worlds. I don't usually like cased stuff, but this is cased very lightly - a very deft, classy touch of genius on somebody's part. I mean, who would think of that casing? I'd love to know who he/she was. Respect.

The mix of leaf gives a tasty, balanced, satisfying smoke. The very light, natural- feeling, nuance of clove and rose geranium just takes it that little bit further into a complex, rewarding, sometimes ecstatic level of smooth, velvety, smoky bliss. No bite, no 'soap', excellent leisurely burn. This is the vintage sports Jaguar of tobaccos, and I'll drive it forever.

Badbrude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Badbrude (8)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

BCP represents the Lakeland component of my tobacco rotation, when I want something aromatic. The tobacco itself is top shelf as it smokes cool down to the bottom of the bowl and has zero bite. The Virginias are not too sweet, which would otherwise be overwhelming given the considerable aromatics.

I love the taste and floral aroma. I can't smell the cloves but it certainly has that clovy aftertaste in the mouth. Reminds me of Clove Chewing Gum from days long gone.

I agree with the previous reviewer that the N factor is more toberable than Corniston. (Dark Flake made me reel.)

If you're looking for something aromatic but want a full-bodied smoke, you can't do better.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of the best exemplars of the Lakeland style I've come across. This is one of those dreaded "floral" or "soapy" blends that trigger intense love/hate reactions. Personally, I love the stuff.

Like most GH products, Bosun Cut Plug is quite easy to smoke and doesn't irritate my mouth (I'm very sensitive to tongue bite, so this is a key point for me). The tobaccos themselves don't seem to be very sweet and in fact can tend toward bitterness. What saves this blend is the flavoring, which adds a bit of sweetness to the mixture. It's a more "flowery" concoction than, say, Ennerdale Flake but less so than Kendal Flake. The description says there is clove here, and while that's not the dominant note I think I can detect some....Overall, I am most reminded of an Indian dessert while smoking this. It's got both spicy and floral notes, and goes best after a large meal.

The strength is a little higher than medium. It's not a nicotine bomb like Dark Flake or Coniston, but it definitely has enough of that drug to satisfy most of us.

Very good stuff. Highly, highly recommended for Lakeland fans and not recommended at all for those who hate the "soapy" British flakes.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (97)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This was the first pipe tobacco I ever smoked. As such, I was in no position to review it upon first try. My first memories, though, were fairly unimpressive, though I put that down to my rampant inexperience, so didn't feel the need to go back to it. However, having done the rounds with a few other tobaccos, I decided recently retread my footsteps and give this another go, see if the landscape looks a little different second time around. The smell in the packet was as I remembered it, a good waft of rose, almost reminiscent of Turkish Delight. Sadly, for me, the pipe taste doesn't live up to that promise. It took me about half of the 50g packet to discern the flavour, a pleasant enough soapy, tarry flavour, perhaps a little hint of similar flavours found in Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader - a personal favourite. Having continued on with the rest of the packet, I am reasonably happy with both the flavour and the aroma from the bowl, not fantastic but still worth a smoke. My only complaint is the, at times, almost rampant tongue bite that has, on occasion, hit very early on. Could be that I'm smoking it wrong, perhaps too quickly, but it's tonguebite like no other, which makes me think it is the tobacco rather than me smoking it wrong. As a result of this, I came very close to giving this one star. However, given that it did give a pleasant flavour and bowl aroma and I have smoked some genuinely rank tobacco, I think two stars is a fair appraisal.

Update: 14/02/2013

Not long finished a 25g packet of this which I purchased to to see if my tastes have changed any. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. The flavour does seemed to have dimmed a little but the tonguebite seems to have all but disappeared allowing me to enjoy all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. Also, strangely, I don't need to pack a lot into the pipe to get a good smoke out of it.

On the whole then, pleasant of slightly underwhelming floral flavour that provides a cracking smoke, especially early evening after tea. Not sure if it's worth a four stars yet but definitely worth three. Saying that, the 50 grams I've got on order might change that...

Update 13/03/2013

...And yes it has, it's taken a while but this has definitely won me over. I'm so glad I tried this one again, such a pleasure to rediscover a tobacco I had originally consigned to the "where are they now files".

Bluenoser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluenoser (34)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Brilliant blend. I respectfully submit fans of St. Bruno Flake and Walnut Flake will undoubtedly be pleased, at least this fan of those treasured blends was. I find BCP to be somewhere in the middle of the aforementioned tobaccos. BCP for me produces an exceedingly delightful creamy smoke carrying with it the zest of cloves, the sweetness of first-rate virginia and that wonderful St. Bruno flavour muted just slightly by a couple of degrees. This is the blend I day-dream of while sitting in 5 o'clock traffic en route home after a long days work. Bosun Cut Plug is a gem and I pray I'll never be without it. Thank You Rich at 4noggins for stocking this fantastic tobacco.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Like the half dozen or so of its scented stablemates I've burned so far, I thoroughly enjoy BCP...on occasion. Smoking any scented flake bowl after bowl is just too taxing on my palate. That said, when I'm in the mood for one, this and its brothers deliver. I still have trouble deciding if I really like one over the other, but BCP may be the leader, if only due to its strength and depth of 'perfume'. If I'm only going to smoke one once in a while, it may as well be a kick to the head, flavor wise.

Speaking of, I can't place the flavors I get from BCP, unless pillow sachet is a flavor. Regardless of this, the VA underpinning is top notch, making this a quality smoke. In about six months time I've all but finished a quarter pound plus sample baggie, making this a slow but steady rotation partner. I can definitely see me picking up more of this, or maybe one of the other scented flakes...ah hell, I don't know now. They're all good to go!

A solid three star blend for my tastes.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

To review this one, you must like Lakeland Blends or most likely it will get a bad review. To those of us that do like Lakeland blends, this is a good blend and offers a lot in taste and nuances while smoking it.

This is primarily a VA with added flavors and spices. It is an all brown ribbon cut after rubbing out and it has a pouch aroma that is sweet and spicy. I like it dry, as it then packs and lights easily and the added flavors have been toned down some. Upon lighting it one is rewarded with a sweet creamy smoke, full bodied but not cloying and has a room note that is pleasant but not overwhelming. It smokes sweet on my palate and I mostly taste the VA used in it with other flavors wafting in and out as I smoke it down. Though it is full bodied and somewhat strong in flavor, it is gentle to smoke with no tongue bite and it burns dry all the way down the pipe leaving just a little dottle at the bottom of the bowl. It produces a dark gray ash and stays lot well. I do not get a strong soapy flavor from this but I do taste the Lakeland flavoring in the background. It would be a good starter blend for someone wanting to try a Lakeland blend. While this is not my favorite blend of this type, it is a very pleasant smoke and one I recommend trying.

mkorbas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mkorbas (6)
Medium Very Strong Medium Overwhelming

You may add some boiling water to it, in order to savour a hot beverage, but don't try to smoke it, unless you're a fan of burned spices.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like this stuff, this is another one of those that I had heard about for a long time and finally got around to trying. I really enjoy the clove tones that are to be had here, very nicely complement the VA's. I find this to have a really great smell right out of the baggie, which is nice since I usually don't get this much of an aroma when I have tobacco in a baggie or pouch. The room note IMO is not as great as the taste, but not too bad. I think this is for sure one to be sipped, goes nicely with hot tea. Packs easily for a cut plug I think, though I don't have too much experience with these. Looking forward to smoking more of this blend, definitely recommended, it is a unique smoking experience!

plumesnrings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plumesnrings (5)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I do enjoy this smoke, it is beautifully flavoured and caries the flavour to the end. I will enjoy this one in the summer as well as it just does not have the N levels I need for the winters quickies.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Strong Strong Full Very Pleasant

I love my soapy brits, another classic if you dig lakelands.

PipesterJim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipesterJim (44)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

Yum, yum, yum. If you like scented flakes then you're gonna love this one!

The overall comparison to St Bruno that some reviewers have made seems like a pretty good one to me. The obvious difference is that this one is flowery whereas St Bruno is fruity. Additionally, whilst I can understand the good saint being labelled as soapy, there is no soap here. Honestly, I think some people just automatically peg any strong, scented british flake as being soapy without giving it a fair trial.

So, no soap, but definitely lots of flowers! This really does have a flavour and room aroma that my dear old mum would describe as being like "a tart's boudoir". It works! The overall impression ends up being very sweet and almost dessert-like. Those 'sharper flavours' mentioned in the blend description do punch through, especially when the tobacco is fresh, and help to liven up the taste buds. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some vanilla in there too somewhere.

In the pipe this is a very well behaved tobacco. It burns slow and cool with few relights required and leaves naught but a fine, powdery grey ash. The balance of different tobacco types is spot on for me, and you can taste both the flue and fire cured leaf contributing to the overall experience.

Criticisms? Well, with such a distinctive flavour it probably isn't one you are going to want to smoke every day. The powerful top flavours do mean it can become a bit monotonous as there isn't that much evolution of taste down the bowl.

With all that said, this is a winner for me. Probably my favourite GH&Co scented flake so far, although I still have plenty left to try...now there's a nice thought!

Recommended to scented flake lovers. Others should avoid!

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Surprisingly few current reviews of this.

I have about a dozen G&H samples I'm working through. Bosun cut plug didn't really ring any bells when I dabbled with it earlier on. It was a decent smoke but nothing that made me get stuck on it.

But Ennerdale hooked me. I smoked a lot of it and ordered a Lb to rat hole.

But recently I was digging for something different and smelling some samples. This one smelled like it might scratch an itch and I gave it a shot.

My my. So much better this time around. I don't think it got better. I think I've just learned more and developed more appreciation for these types of tobaccos. Probably from really getting to know the Ennerdale.

Anyway...this is top notch stuff. In the same general ball park as Ennerdale. Not quite as sharp and sweet. More rounded and somehow fuller.

I intially got into G&H blends for the dark strong stuff like twists, Dark Birdseye, etc. But I've ended up really enjoying their "aromatics". Bob's Chocolate Flake, Ennerdale Flake, Rum Flake, and now this one. And I'[m not really an aromatic guy. I mostly smoke English Blends and VaPer flakes. But these G&H scented flakes (whether labeled so or not) broadened my world a bit.

Highly recommend giving these a fair shot and a little time. They really can fill a place in a somewhat regular rotation. Scratch that certain itch.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (107)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a full-bodied Virginia cut plug from G & H. I tried an ounce of it on a friend's recommendation: with some trepidation, I have to admit, fearing that it might be a bit too much like G & H's Ennerdale Flake. In the event, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not wild about it, but it's an honest and worthwhile smoke, and well worth the money. There is a typical enough ‘lakeland' casing here, but it's not in-your-face in the way that Ennerdale's is. The pouch aroma leads you to expect something more scented than it actually is when you light up. Also, the initial aroma calms down a lot after even only a couple of days in the jar.

BCP isn't a sophisticated or complex tobacco. The flavour is pleasant enough without being outstanding; the smoke is cool and fragrant, and the burn is very slow. This last property is very much a plus point for me. There's a nice room note too; none of the domestic critics (Klio, SWMBO or Dr Dyson Jnr.) had anything adverse to say. I have to say that I didn't notice the ‘cigar type notes.'

Putting it generally, Bosun Cut Plug reminds me to some extent of St Bruno Flake. One could say also that it's a little bit like Ennerdale Flake but with the volume turned right down. I don't find it at all soapy and cloying; 'fruity' and 'woody' are the (overworked) words that come most readily to mind. In terms of nicotine content, BCP is strong, but not uncomfortably so. I've been smoking it in a biggish bowl (Peterson 312), and haven't suffered. Not for the beginner, though, and it mustn't be rushed.

This is a tobacco that is better stuffed straight into the bowl than rubbed out, I think; but it will rub out easily enough if that's what you prefer. At first sight it seemed to me rather moist; I expected to have to relight quite a few times. Somewhat to my surprise it lit easily and burnt well all the way down, perhaps getting a tad hot and bitter towards the bottom of the bowl but otherwise behaving nicely throughout. It's the sort of heavy, tasty, old-fashioned smoke that is pleasant to have on a cold morning, and it goes nicely with hot black coffee. At the end, you're left with a fine, pale ash and no goo.

I wouldn't smoke this tobacco all the year round, and I think one could get bored with it fairly quickly. It doesn't, to be frank, have enough character and complexity to retain interest over a long stretch, but it'll stay in my list of welcome changes. It's a good choice when you're in the right sort of mood. Definitely recommended.

Update, June 2011: I've smoked quite a lot more of BCP since I first reviewed, and I've come to like it more than I did at first. I'd give it another half star if that were possible. I would emphasise to people who might like to try it that letting it breathe and dry in a jar for a couple of days really does make a big difference.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an interesting broken flake that varies in color from dark brown to black and speckled in dark red and yellow. Its aroma is very floral with hints of clove, figs and raisins. It rubs out quite easily, into a thin crimp cut that truly simplifies filling the pipe. It lights easily and burns even, cool, dry and complete into a fluffy grey ash. There is no complexity here, just a consistent smoke throughout the bowl that develops real nicotine strength as the smoke progresses. Its flavor is smooth and rich and never bitter. This is highly recommended as a good candidate for an all day smoke for those who are not nicotine sensitive and like the heavier scented and robust Virginia based Lakeland flakes.

Collezionista Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Collezionista (59)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable

Quite a robust and interesting tobacco this is. It arrived in broken flakes that turned into a sort of shag with very little rubbing. While the description on the website specified it as the unscented version, I strongly believe it is in fact the scented variety. The leaf aroma is something akin to laundry detergent but luckily isn't as apparent in the actual flavor. The geranium oil provides a sort of perfumey sweetness while the clove oil adds spice and a briskness somewhat reminiscent of menthol cigarettes. There isnt much actual clove flavor that I can discern. Either way, Bosun Cut Plug is one of my favorite "pick me up" tobaccos as it packs a fairly significant nicotine punch. I couldnt smoke it all the time but I do enjoy it for an occasional change of pace. Such an interesting tobacco, definitely worth a try.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I like and keep on hand a number of the Lake District scented flakes and plugs, and this is one of them. BCP is a dark, scented flake. The smoke begins with the pronounced flavor of cloves and an unmistakable floral element. In time these flavors and scents cease to dominate, and the taste of very good, dark English flake tobacco emerges, enhanced and complemented by the top dressing. The experience is pretty straight forward. You will either enjoy it or you won't. BCP is not among my four or five favorites in this genre, but it is unique, and for that reason I keep it on hand. If you are a scented flake fan, I recommend giving this one a try. Well recommended. Paddy

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This stuff packed very nicely. Not too wet, not too dry. Has the aroma of the old-old-old world colognes, or aftershave. (Bear in mind, this is something I LIKE)

The topping is abundant enough to flavor this tobacco. I can definitely taste the virginias in it, especially as I got midway through the bowl. It has a very charming clove-and-ginger like spiciness to it. It did bite me just a little bit, as I've not mastered the perfect technique yet for pipesmoking. It has a slight sweetness, and the slight virginia tang that one can expect, but it has a subtle smokiness that could be described as SLIGHTLY bitter.

I like these old-world style lakeland tobaccos, but I WAS actually expecting a "soapier" smoke. It smells almost as though it were meant to be more soapy, but it's actually not quite as "Lakeland-soapy-esque" as RB Plug in my humble opinion.

The only warning I will give you is that the aftertaste may not be pleasant all the time. I kinda got aggressive with the puffing towards the end, and I harshed the tobacco. If you do this, your smoking experience with that bowl WILL NOT forgive you.

This is a fine tobacco, worthy of it's good recommendation. If you like aromatics, you'll like this one. It's non-goopy, and has all the old-world charms of the 17th and 18th century. I put this neck-and-neck with RB plug.

Fair winds,

Daniel

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Many thanks to the above reviewer (OSR,) for giving me a sample of G&H Bosun Cut Plug. I really can't add much as OSR covered all the bases, including the bit about the Clove perhaps giving the smoker a "Perique like tingle."

I like my Virginia tobacco to taste like tobacco. Yet, I also enjoy some added, discreet flavoring from time to time and Bosun Cut Plug delivers on both counts. Not as strong as my favorite G&H offering (Dark Birdseye), this one still packs enough punch to satisfy my craving for Nicotine. It does have that distinctive G&H smell in the pouch, which usually tells me that I'm about to smoke a quality Virginia.

Bosun Cut Plug is a delightfully cool smoke, burns reasonably well as the tobacco is consumed, and leaves a clean, dry ash. Thoroughly enjoyable.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

If you don't like the Lakeland style flakes then why bother with this one?

On the other hand, if you do like Lakeland flakes then this is a good one.

I'm a big fan of Kendal Flake and Rum Flake. Both are in my regular rotation. And I dedicate pipes to these blends, campers!

Bosun Cut Plug comes as broken stips of flake, packaged not in a "brick" like Rum Flake or Kendal Flake but in the sack, like Sliced Brown Twist. Beautiful tobacco, dark brownish black with flecks of reddish brown and a yellow spot here and there. Lovely tobacco, very high quality.

This tobacco smells much "spicier" than the Kendal Flake. Where Kendal Flake smells of rose/geranium/musk - and Rum Flake smells like a rum cake - Bosun Cut Plug smells (out of the sack) of clove and raisins.

It's amazing the differences in the flavorings and the mixtures of these flakes. Bosun is definitely spicy, a "rounder" smoke than Kendal yet not as full as the Rum Flake. Something about the clove in this tobacco adds a sort of perique tingle on the tongue.

Very smooth and consistent all the way down the bowl, no gurgle and a mottled grey ash. Like all of these flakes, the bottom 1/4 of the bowl gets a bit stronger but never nasty. Wow, this is a well done flake.

If you like a little spice in your Lakeland Flake, Bosun Cut Plug will fit the bill nicely. Highly recommended if, and only if, you like the heavier/stronger Lakeland flakes.

Magnulus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magnulus (8)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This tobacco comes in a dark broken flake with occasional hints of bright leaf showing through. The pouch aroma is slightly sweet and smells perfumed, like a geranium, perhaps with a touch of some spice. The flavor of the burning tobacco is slightly sweet, with alot of tobacco body. The floral scent comes off to me as being somewhat spicey like a cake, and it tends to stay in a pipe between smokes. The room aroma is a bit heavy but not unpleasant. The strength is strong, although not overpowering, but it may be too much for those not experienced to stronger tobacco. For an experienced smoker this could well be an all day smoke. It is very similar to St. Bruno.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Yes, it's a traditional English scented flake with a nice pouch aroma. I would describe my sample as a broken flake. I'm smoking it in a small Cavicchi prince dedicated to scented flakes, so I may be getting some residual flavors. I don't find the scenting over-the-top, but it's surely present. The scenting seems to complement the Virginias well. I like scented flakes, but I have a hard time identifying the specific flavorings. Rose and cloves? I guess it could be. Whatever it is, it's very nice. The tobacco is full-bodied, very satisfying, and slightly sweet like a high quality Virginia should be. It burns slow and evenly. Bosun Cut Plug may be a little high in nicotine to be an all-day tobacco, but maybe not; surely it's one that could be enjoyed regularly. I get no tongue bite at all. Probably not a blend that will be appreciated by everyone, but scented flake smokers will really like this, I think. If you like scented flakes, give this blend a try.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Bosun Cut Plug is clearly one of the Gawith "soap" flakes. This one comes in long, shredded flakes of dark brown, and at a moisture level that is about right. I prefer to smoke this in a small bowl, folding the shreds in and packing gently.

The scent ingredients, "special Virginia casings ... including oil of cloves and rose geranium", produce an intriguing flavor on top of the GH trademark soapiness. I find this blend to be a bit gentler than other scented GH flakes (e.g., Ennerdale Flake, though the description above suggests otherwise) but still a strong tobacco. The strength of BCP's flavoring is midway between Bob's Chocolate and Glengarry Flake, and recedes in the second half of the bowl, leaving the taste of virginias to dominate.

If you are into the soap flakes, this is certainly one to try, though you will want to smoke it in a pipe that is more-or-less dedicated to such tobaccos.

Albion1956 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Albion1956 (41)
Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

A very traditional English flake, in that it is cased with with flavors that some may refer to as Soapy. This tobacco is well pressed and thinly sliced, making the rubbing out process easy, quite simply it is made like most flakes from the UK. Lighting and keeping lit after the charring process is normal, nothing unusual in this flake. The flavors are tolerable, and the room aroma from this commands compliments, this is a medium to strong tobacco, and it surpasses it's conterpart, CCP. Overall, I will give it a 7, a well made tobacco, and one that has a large following.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

After trying Ennerdale flake and enjoying it, I decided to try my pouch of Bosun Cut Plug. This is a slightly stronger and meatier tobacco than Ennerdale, and that is probably why I liked it even better. The dark fired gives this a nice taste range from the darker, smokier spectrum to the higher virginias enhanced with cloves and rose geranium. I found this to be gentle on the palate, with a nice full flavor. This will probably become a staple tobacco for me.

Update: I'm knocking this down a notch. The more I smoke this, the more I get incredible tongue bite from it. I just can't say a blend with so much tongue bite four stars.