Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake pipe tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity. The 2013 blend is made with a special selection of orange, flue-cured Virginia from the 2009 crop near Rocky Mount, North Carolina. Picked at the peak ripeness, high in natural sugars, rich in oils, intense in color, this is a marvelous leaf that should age with distinction.

Notes: Released at the 2013 IPCPR trade show.

Additional material from McClelland: We present this 2013 Christmas blend in partially broken flakes so the smoker can rub them out to suit any occasion. Savor the flavor as it develops throughout the smoke.

Each buying season, we search for tobaccos that possess superior quality and distinctive character. In various combinations, their flavors, aromas, and textures contribute to overall excellence in our entire pipe tobacco product line. The leaves of different crops and regions are blended to maintain consistency from year to year.

With Christmas Cheer, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of a tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage, not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of future generations of this product but actually striving instead to capture the unique character of a single crop and area.

That's what Christmas Cheer is all about. Happy Sampling!

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full

Yanis1979 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yanis1979 (4)

First I want to remark how long that smoke can last! I smoke it in a very small french briar pipe and it can last for more than 1 hour, producing a very generous amount of soft, almost silky smoke. Pure joy! Hints of fresh hay, raisins, sweet and tangy as virginia can be. Top notch tobacco! the McVinegar tin scent disappears when smoked letting only the very best virginia experience I ever had express itself fully. I'm used to smoke navy escudo as VaPer. Loved the Va in it but this one goes way beyond and that's just the best thing I can say about it! If you can find one tin left...GRAB IT! A genuine 4 stars of course! (PS: I didn't find it to burn hot as other mentionned earlier).

NB: After letting it dry a bit I found that some pleasant iode-like nuances come through much like a Talisker scotch without the peat taste of course, will definitly pair my bowl with a glass of it next time.

Pipe Used: french briar

Age When Smoked: fresh tin (2013)

Purchased From: cup o joe's

This is a nice vintage. If you like "Mc-Vinegar", it ain't here in the smoke. I happen to love Mc-Vinegar , gives that tang, this is more base notes than high notes. Reminds me of the 2012 Christmas blend, but I do like this better. You do get a great hay scent when you "French inhale", no bite and some sweetness.

The flakes needs to be rubbed out and allowed to dry some or you will run into the problem of a hot smoke when you push this to keep it lit.( as some reviewers have reported)

I really think this would be exceptional with 3 years of cellar time, but right now, I give it 2 1/2 stars

Updated 7/23/2014- Well, I've had this tin in the cellar for about 8 months and it is still nice . I've picked up some changes, it has turned more "Malty" in flavor and it reminds me very much of C&D's Briar Fox. I also get the best results from a cob. I have found this is excellent on the relight, flavor stays and doesn't get ashy.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month/ 8 months

Similar Blends: 2012 Christmas Cheer, C&D's Briar Fox.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (19)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I was given this by my parents for christmas when I was over in the states visiting them for the holidays. This was also my first ever McClelland Tobacco as they're not readily available to me over here in Germany. On opening the tin, what I first got was the (as I've read many times before) typical scent of ketchup that most McClelland Virginias supposedly have. I didn't find that unpleasant - the second and third times I stuck my nose in gave me rich, delicious smells of wood, stoved fruits and something spicy.

It's quite moist out of the tin, but dried for an hour or so it's perfect to take a few flake scraps, roll them into a ball and just plug those in the pipe (loosely!).

The charring light does give me some bite, but once it's lit and going, it cools down real nicely and tastes nothing but delicious.

There's flavors of wood, spice, stoved and dried fruits and a hint of sweetness. Sometimes something like toasted wheat bread comes through, which I really like. Also, the mouth feel is rich, thick, almost chewy... I love this stuff. If I could describe the smoke in terms of something touchable, I'd say kind of like well worn-in, dark beeswax leather...

This is so good it's too bad there's never going to be this same blend again. I bought 3 more tins while I was there so I could take some home and enjoy it for 3 more years - every upcoming Christmas.

Very very glad I had the chance to try this!

Pipe Used: peterson donegal rocky 999 filterless

Age When Smoked: freshly opened

Purchased From: christmas gift

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

I really like the aroma when I open the can for the 1st time. I can smell the sweetness of virginia tobacco and the smell is almost similar like a milk candy that I usually buy it when I celebrate Chinese New Year. Need a little preparation to enjoy well this blend. I need to rubbed into smaller pieces so I can pack it well and then aerated it for a little while, so I can start a pleasant journey with this blend. This blend is quite smooth, almost without kick, but I can taste a very sweet virginia blend, it is cool and burnt well. At half bowl, I can taste the milky taste again, very sweet, like a chinese milk candy. So I give this blend 4 stars for the pleasure that it given to me.

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (56)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

Half the tin is now smoked and I'm ready to give an honest review as I believe I've discovered everything this blend can do.

I love McClelland blends especially VA based and Straight VA's. This blend to me is consistently on the weak side compared to the rest of their offerings, even for straight VAs. This one really will shine with some aging and quite frankly (storing) was in mind when it was created. Don't think this one is in a general smokers rotation as it's a limited supply and quantity built to age.

This blend got my attention as the tobacco they used was plucked not far from my own hometown. I like the unique sweet flavor that is this blends alone. I can tell you the size and shape of the bowl makes a BIG difference in this blend. I got the most out of it by blending it in a small food processor and from a Straight grained billard with a large bowl. I do recommend this blend but it's really for storing. Enjoy!

Pipes used. Peterson XL305, Comory Straight Grain, Luciano hand made Dublin Bowl.

Age When Smoked: Fresh from 2013 tin over 5 months.

Purchased From: JR Cigars.

Pipe Beard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Beard (8)

How many tins did you buy?

I'm not sure what I can add to this that other reviewers haven't already said. This year's blend is a masterpiece as is, and could go down as one of the all time greats with some age on it. I have a tin stashed away for a few years...

Down to the Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Down to the Dottle (3)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Not as much ketchup/vinegar as other McClelland blends. I picked up some mince meat and raisin, as well.

Cut: Broken Flake. The flakes are cut a little thicker than most. Imagine the thickness of two Orlik Golden Sliced flakes. The flake is easy to rub out and loads nicely in the pipe.

Flavor: Once this baby got going there were flavors that I didn't expect from a tobacco. On the draw there was rich raisin. I tasted snickerdoodle and a little gingerbread while exhaling through the nose/mouth.

I smoked this fresh out of the tin, then again 6 months later. The flavors were definitely more pronounced after the aging. The sweetness really comes out.

All in all, this is a fantastic tobacco. It is going to take a long time to finish this tin. It is WAY too good!!

Pipe Used: Peterson System, Kaywoodie Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh & 6 Months

PettyOfficerPuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PettyOfficerPuff (2)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Medium Overwhelming

Being a green horn to pipe smoking, I'm still new to everything but I have been a cigar smoker for a while. From the moment I opened the can I could smell a hint of raisins, fig, a little hay smell as well. Reading through the forums prior I decided to let a bowl sit out for about an hour before smoking it. From the false light it tasted quite well rounded with a wonderful play on each portion of the tounge. Definatly sweet, almost like a cranberry orange coffee cake with a side rustic hint of oaken barrel. with progression it only got better! I really enjoy this smoke and I'm looking forward to my next bowl of it! Four stars!

Pipe Used: Italian briar

Age When Smoked: fresh out of the can

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (137)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is another fine addition to the CC series. As with the rest in the line, it is a very good weed used in making this fine vintage. Like the rest this also should age very well with it getting better with age. Recommended.

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (13)

This is a great flake Virginia, Tin note somewhat "Ketchupy" but this is typical with McClelland Virginia flakes. The flavor is nice and tangy with a bit of spice. reminds me a bit of Dunhill's Royal yacht but without the "Punch". Smoke is cool and long lasting. all in all a great mix, go buy some before it runs out!!!

I only got 1 tin and wish I got more. I just might order up a few more for storage.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Ok let's get started I am unsure of rating this tobacco as it is in a class of it's own. Let me say it's got a great flavor and it really satisfies.I smoked half a tin so far and it is marvelous.I am now back to my regular blend because I would like to age slash save some for later.What can be said

Pipe Used: savenelli

Age When Smoked: fresh dried for a day

Similar Blends: no other tobacco.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (26)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A much anticipated kick off to the holiday season. Purchased two tins of this and glad I did. Cracked the first one at a year old this month. Nicely aged in the short span of time. A consistent high quality product from year to year. Buy a few tins and put them away. This stuff ages fantastic.

Pipe Used: Moonshine Pipe Works Devil Anse Cutty

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Yklam1002 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Yklam1002 (3)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

When you open the tin, the tobacco smells really alright, it will remind you of ketchup / bbq, however, smoking this is completely different... this thing burns wayyyy too hot in the bowl! although i dont get much hot smoke in the mouth, it really irritates my nose big time, but nothing compares to how hot thing this burns in the bowl , now, im sure i zipped this "very" lightly, no big draws no nothing, but just after a few puffs the bowl starts to burn hot, i have never experience this with any tobacco in my corn cob. i rested the pipe just after a few buff, repeat, again, burns hot. i consider myself to be really tolerable to heat, but even so, i cant hold the pipe.

I really wanted to be fair before i write this review, therefore, to be fair i tried smoking other similar tobacco in the same pipe to see if its the pipes problem, but everything was alright, so after a few days later, i decided to give it one more try... this time, even worst,...i dont even want to try this in my briar pipe... after just 1/3 of the bowl, i was done with it. im not sure if theres something wrong with my can of tobacco, or my pipe or any reasons, but im not impressed with it. how can someone enjoy a tobacco if they cant even hold the pipe in their hand... ?