The main characteristics of this flake come from the 8% Latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe, Malawi virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mild/Medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi Burley. The latakia cools but does also add strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavours are rounded off with vanillas and other flavours providing sweet notes.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Virginia

2.9
Sylvian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sylvian (28)
Mild Extra Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

My first acquaintance with Bob's Shock-olate Flake was a horror. It was the first time I tried a Lakeland tobacco, and I was not used to this characteristic scent G&H add to most if not all of their blends. I admit I also didn't bother to dry the tobac very well which it definitely required. The result was a disgusting, over-perfumed, nauseating smoke that made me think I had loaded deadman's deodorated armpit hair in my pipe. Think of lighting up grandma's favorite bra if you find the former association too offensive. A horrid experience it was indeed. Long before the glow had reached the middle of the bowl, Bob's Chocolate Ache was out of my pipe, forever I thought.

No wonder I kept away from this product since then. But after gradually getting used to the G&H Kendal soap, I found I could try once more to make sure I did not have a faulty sample. I was told that the bulk version which I tried sometimes can contain a trace of lavsan which can ruin the smoking experience. So be it, one year passed and I have obtained another sample to commemorate the anniversary of Smoking the Famous Bob's Formaldehyde Fake.

The result this time was different. Dried out, the weed lost at least some of its tonquin aroma, and was smokable. I was also more careful with packing, and lightly packed BCF can even be nice. But I really can understand the one-star reviews. I'd have given minus four after our first encounter.

So here are some suggestions for the ones in doubt:

1. Make sure you're really ready to accept tonquin in your pipe. It's definitely not for everyone. If you have not tried Kendal weed before and want to experiment, start with Samuel Gawith production. Most of it has only got notes of the Lakeland scent (be sure not to choose Grousemoor as the first one though as its loaded with the perfume, although more of a grassy than soapy kind, and forget about 1792 for the time), as opposed to Gawith & Hoggarth's blends that I find are bathed in tonquin.

2. If you find that you don't object to Kendal perfume try Bob's Chocolate Flake, also known as the Beelze Bub's Chalklit Make among some of us. Practice shows it can even become your morning smoke.

3. Check the tobac carefully so that your beloved pipe doesn't get traces of whatever G&H use in production, be it lavsan, church candles, panties... I'm sorry

4. Dry it out.

5. Dry it out again.

6. Rub out some.

7. Pack very lightly.

8. Light up and see if the above steps were actually making any sense.

Two gravestones for this zombie as I can only recommend it to adventurers like myself.

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (13)
Medium Strong Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I think that people are often caught off-guard by this tasty flake: It is unequivocally an aromatic in that it includes numerous non-tobacco flavorings and scents. But the term "aromatic," as used in the last few decades, come to imply "sweet and candy-like." Since this flake is predominantly flavored with chocolate, which is primarily used in candy, it is only natural that people should expect a candy experience from it. Then it hits them. This is _not_ candy. The chocolate is savory, as in a Mexican mole dish. The significant dash of latakia adds a smokey, earthiness to the experience. Background flavors of vanilla and something florid (lilac?) add complexity. The smoke is certainly sweet, but not candy sweet. This is an English tobacco, both in origin and in style. It is full, solid, and rich. Smoking this is not a delicate or subtle experience--pack it loosely in a large bowl and enjoy it with a strongly-flavored beverage. I have smoked it while drinking several stouts (really, what could be a better combination than Bob's Chocolate Flake and Young's Double Chocolate stout? the flavor profiles of the two are spot-on) and also with strong English tea. Be sure to give it a solid time to dry as it arrives quite moist. Since it's a dense flake, don't be surprised at a significant number of relights. Also, as others have reported, this stuff _will_ ghost your pipe, so don't smoke it out of a pipe for which the residual taste will be a problem since it will stick around for the next dozen or so smokes.

Uncle Al Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uncle Al (1)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

Bob's Chocolate Flake by Gawith Hoggarth is superior tobacco, but it needs to be dried. I cut mine into pieces from small upto three millimetres, rub it out and then let it dry, perhaps leaving a little moisture. Sipped slowly this really is first class, deeply satisfying tobacco upfront with a subtle chocolate/cocoa taste in the background. Doesn't ghost. I always buy in bulk. Highly recommended, just remember to rub it out and let it dry.

Pipe Used: Lorenzo Oom Paul & others

Age When Smoked: From packet

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana Flake.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I waited a while to review this one because every time i tried it in a different pipe is seemed to change a little. Overall the chocolate flavor peeked through 4-5 times throughout the bowl but never stayed constant. The floral presence did stay through out the duration. I assume this is the "Lakeland" flavor everyone describes. The latakia is there but faintly, it mostly shows up at first light. This blend has a good slightly complex flavor. It is very different from anything else i have ever tried. It burns all the way to the bottom without getting nasty or over powering. Not goopy or sticky at any time. I will definitely keep some of this on hand to put into rotation from time to time.

1-15-14 *UPDATE: I am still experimenting with this blend and the more i mess with it the more i like it. Recently i have discovered if you really rub a flake out to the point it is light and fluffy by rolling it between yours hands and pack it evenly but not too tight you end up getting a VERY solid toasted marshmallow note for the first half of the bowl. I assume this is from the little bit of latakia and possibly some sweet virginias getting some room to breathe. Reguardless this is some good stuff, upgrading to 4 stars!

Pipe Used: Many different pipes

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Ahh, the soapy chocolate goodness of Bob's Chocolate Flake. The name sounds delicious, and one is left to wonder whether the actual product can deliver as promised.

Not a chance.

Ok, I don't mean that as an insult. The tobacco is indeed quite good, but I can't imagine for a second how the casings can translate into a discernible chocolate flavor. I can detect something approaching chocolate in the tin aroma--it's sweet and gives off hints of cocoa. But when lit, I get that familiar Lakeland signature cleansing variety. It wears off a bit, after the initial char, and doesn't take away from the essential goodness of Bob's Chocolate Flake. Just don't expect a choco-blast of the candy bar type.

The tobacco is rather stout for an aromatic, and Gawith puts the blend together in a superb fashion. The American ideal of an aromatic...cheap Burley soaking in sticky goop...is absolutely foreign to the design. I often wonder why we can't embrace the British formula to produce anything better than a cheap imitation, like No. 79.

The list of tobaccos that goes into Bob's Chocolate Flake has me scratching my head a little. There's a small portion of Latakia, which I completely miss, and a healthy supply of Virginias. But this tastes nothing like the Virginias I'm familiar with. As the bowl winds down, I'm left with an amalgamation more unique than I can imagine. I only know that I must seek out more Lakeland examples in search of another fine smoke.

pokrsmokr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pokrsmokr (32)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

What a wonderful blend. Bob's Chocolate Flake comes in a beautiful brown flake form with bits of yellow and black (the latakia no doubt) and it has a truly wonderful tin, err, bag aroma (it is available only in bulk, as far as I know). I prefer to smoke this without rubbing it out, just roll the flakes, stick em in the pipe, and lighit up. It lights relatively easily and burns very well. The mild chocolate flavoring overwhelms the tobacco at first, but quickly fades from the dominant taste upon the initial lighting to a complimentary flavor which works well with the naturally sweet virginias and the latakia. I am told there is about 10% latakia in it, which I wouldn't have guessed in million years but can definitely see it now that I know it. There is a very subtle smokiness to this blend which works very well with the the Virgninia base and the added chocolate flavor. Eventually the chocolate dissipates almost completely leaving just the tobacco to enjoy, the strength also seems to kick in a bit at this time. Bob's Chocolate Flake leaves a beautiful ash and I highly recommend this to any VA lovers or even to aromatic smokers who are contemplating discovering the world of virginia tobaccos. But enoguh of that petty stuff- what I really want to know is.... Who the hell is this Bob guy??????

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have wanted to try GHs Bob's Chocolate Flake and SGs Chocolate Flake for a good while now. Well, for starters I went with Bob's Chocolate Flake. The tin aroma was definitely perfumy - which was tolerable before I lit it up. The initial light was all soap; as if I put a bar of Ivory into my mouth! Not pleasant whatsoever. I persevered and found the "Lakeland essence" never diminished. Occasionally, I got hints of chocolate - very minimal, however. The overall tobacco flavor was too hidden by the lakeland florals for me to taste and enjoy. The blend seemed to be overpowered by this Lakeland presence, and I didn't enjoy it at all. 1 star.

UPDATE 4-20-10: How time and aging change things! I let this one sit in its tin since my original review and 1 star rating, and decided to re-try it. Well, there was still the presence of soap in the tin, but much less than previous. Lighting produced a much fainter soap presence than previous which stayed very much in the background and fading nearly to nil by bowl's end. I was actually able to taste and enjoy the tobacco flavor - a mix of good tobacco and chocolate. I couldn't, however, taste the Latakia which was not off-putting in the least. I knew it was there by the way Latakia always nips at my tongue in a very unique way for me. A very nice background sweetness and flavor was the final reward (like chocolate milk). I now can appreciate all of the 3-4 star reviews of this blend. I will re-visit from time to time, but if I ever get through my tin and order more, I'll need to open it and let some of that Lakeland presence dissipate off long before smoking.

UPDATE 3-16-13: After smoking a good amount of GH Rum Flake, Brown Flake Scented and Unscented, I truly have come to love the Lakeland flavor. A recent revisit to Bob's Chocolate Flake was very pleasurable, but since I am not a big fan of Latakia, this will hold to 3 stars for me.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (73)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a funny little tobacco from a blending house that seems to pride itself on funny little tobaccos. I love blends of the English Lakeland tradition, but I think that they are best left to Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s big brother Sam.

This is a thin flake of light and dark browns that rubs out into long, thickish, hard to manage pieces. The chocolate aroma is, appropriately, I suppose, quite noticeable from the very beginning.

Even for a flake, this is hard to light and keep lit. I found myself cursing it once or twice for this very reason.

Bob's Chocolate Flake boasts a whole host of different tobaccos that went into its blending, but they really don't make much of a difference. At no time could I taste the much touted Latakia and though there is a host of other African grown leaf, I really don't much care. The main flavor comes from a rather half-hearted attempt at the classic Lakeland floral topping, containing some hint of chocolate, yes, but I have never thought that tobacco and chocolate went together all that well to begin with. On the whole, the stuff tastes like baby powder or, at least how I imagine baby powder would taste. That chunky quality made it very hard to smoke the pipe all the way down, also and I know that I emptied a few bowls with quite a bit of waste at the bottom.

Kendall, Cumbria is, far and away my favorite town in England and I find it hard to besmirch any institution associated with it. That is the only thing that earned Bob's Chocolate Flake another star.

Latakia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Latakia (69)

Very nicely packed flake. Could barely make out the latakia and the chocolate. Very different. Had an almost perfumy type of taste. Only one bowl done so will wait until I will be able to evauate objectivly in different pipes. For now, so different that I can't really say if I like it or not. Would recommend with reservations if someone likes an aromatic. If someone wants something totally different than what one has been smoking...this is it and I recommend you try it.

After a few more bowls, I am not recommending it unless someone wants to try something totally different. Also felt that the blend leaves a strong reminder in my pipes that I am masking with heavy latakia smokes. Not for me. Too much like smoking incense.

john doe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john doe (41)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

My pipe now tastes "Zestfully Clean", thanks to this disgusting, revolting blend. Good for childhood flashbooks to getting your mouth washed out with soap.

Yuck.

bswails1384 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bswails1384 (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I can not give this tobacco a very good review but before I explain why perhaps it would be a good idea to give you some info on my tastes. I am somewhat new to pipe tobacco and was not a tobacco user before pipe smoking. I am as most beginners still intrigued with aromatics. I especially like the McClelland brand of aromatics but have been looking for new varieties with a little more tobacco flavor and taste.

After reading the reviews of BCF I though that it would be a good tobacco to try. I eagerly looked forward to my order arriving. Unfortunately my supplier was out of the BCF in a tin so I opted for a few ounces of bulk.

Quite honestly the aroma when the bag was opened was very disappointing. It has a rather strong soapy, perfumy, artificial smell and much to my disappointment I smelled not a hint of chocolate. And even more to my disappointment the flavoring when smoked is just as artificial and soapy as the bag aroma.

Furthermore it burns too hot for my liking. Maybe I just don't get it but I would not recommend this to a beginner it really doesn't have much of a good tobacco experience for my liking. IMO it is an acquired taste and one I am not likely to try again.

In the end though I found an acceptable solution. I bought some McClelland Vanilla Black Cavendish and blended two parts VBC with one part BCF and the result was a pretty good smoke for me. The mildness of the strength and flavor of the VBC toned down the strength of the BCF making for a decent smoke.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I should have more closely read the reviews of this, particularly CaptnDan's. Maybe it was the five puffs of Mixture-you-know-what over 30 years ago that permanently traumatized me, but I have no tolerance for soap in my tobacco, no matter how well disguised, crafted or dilute. Gak!

Update 11/04: I have begun to heal old traumas with soapys. Being a cheaparse, I tried this a couple times more and concentrated on other qualities, using an old broken pipe so as not to foul a good one. Actually, I tolerate it now as a change of pace. The soap is truly minor and the flavor is complex and interesting. I just won't buy any more of it.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't get all the hype... It's a delicate, absolutely not bitey, very evenly burning flake, very lightly flavored (it's hard to guess chocolate either from the smell of the flakes, or from the taste of the smoke!)... and very boring.

It's not as rich as some other Lakeland virginias, and the flavor is quite monochromatic. Quite nice in a small bowl, but in a big one you'll grow quickly tired of it.

Absolutely tolerable and impossible to dislike... but for me, also very hard to rave upon.

PS Review based on bulk version

Esoxhunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Esoxhunter (60)

September 2004

An obviously high quality tobacco in terms of manufacture, but too aromatic, too soapy and too flavored for me. Plus, I couldn't detect the Latakia.

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

This is a very unique tobacco?a lovely flake with a unique cocoa topping. It is very different from most cased or aromatic blends, and a unique smoking experience. Much drier than most, too. More like it was treated with Hershey?s cocoa powder than with Hershey?s chocolate syrup. Underneath the casing one can also detect the floral (a.k.a. soapy) taste so common to G&H blends, which I don?t really care for.

Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This is another interesting tobacco from Gawith and Co. This flake is an excellent aromatic in that the flavoring is expertly done, while still allowing for the taste of quality tobacco to come out. I especially liked the use of Latakia in this blend. So why not a higher rating? Just like Glengarry flake, I found the flavorings to just not be my bag. They simply don't do it for me on a personal level. Don't get me wrong, this is a quality tobacco and well worth the price, but if you don't really like the flavoring it just won't work. The burning qualities are excellent by the way, although it will bite if provoked. Everyone should try this at least once, just to see if the flavoring is to their taste. If it is, they just hit a home run!

the_IRF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
the_IRF (3)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My review of this is: It feels like you are eating this when smoked.

{Note: i got a sample of long flake. It was not moist, but was sort of "oily". It didn't have any sense of aromatic smell, just interesting.}

I loved it. What a surprise. I do Virginia flakes (with whatever works to taste like tobacco), the more rugged and full of nicotine the better, but this has stuff on it.

It feels on the mouth like you can eat it. There is a sweet syrupy almost oiliness to the mouth feel. Nice taste. Soft smell in the bag that isn't aromatic, yet isn't other than inviting, too.

For me it is a Five Star Flake.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob (best), Breir

Age When Smoked: Fresh 1 oz/$4.75 sample from the dealer

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipe-tobacco/72834/gawith-hoggarth-co-bobs-chocolate-

Similar Blends: I have never tried something like this before, so i have no comparisons to offer..

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Dry out! Dry out! Dry out! It takes a forest fire to light if it is not dried out. It's not a strong as I hoped it would be. The Latakia ads to the bitter sweet taste of the chocolate flavoring. It's a clever blend, I would have to say that it's an acquired tobacco. It takes time to acquaint ones' self with the unique and subtle qualities if this tobacco.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Fiesta, Peterson system

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

It's made of quality tobacco like all the other G&H blends. The chocolate flavor has a nice richness, but is mild enough that it won't steamroll over you like a lesser company's blend would do. The Latakia and Burley come into play in small doses, as does the vanilla - all of which would make this a well rounded smoke except for one thing: that darned Lakeland scent. It's lightly present and not nearly as overpowering as it is in other G&H products, but it's just enough to keep me from rating this higher. I'd prefer to give it four stars, but I have settle on three stars due to the added Lakeland note. However, it's still superior to several chocolate flakes on the market, and I enjoy smoking it.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Bob's IMHO goes beyond the usual "scent" of GH and into more of an aromatic category. Bob's has a wonderful chocolate smell and unlike many aromatics, the tobacco taste is still forward over the flavoring. Bob's sweet chocolate tin smell carries over to the taste with a medium/mild chocolate taste. I don't detect much of the soap smell that GH is known for in their blends. GH claims that there is Latikia in the blend, but I couldn't find any Latikia flavor. I find Bob's to be a far better chocolate flake than Samual Gawith's. The flake is a bit moist and needs some dry time, but if rubbed out, it will dry quickly. I think this flake with age very well. Highly recommended.

UPDATE: I was able to get my hands on some Bob's from 2008, 2004 and the late 90's and this flake becomes deep, dark and rich with age. Outstanding!

Fife&Drum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fife&Drum (22)
Medium Mild Full Pleasant

I love this 'baccy!

It is what it says it is.

I find the bulk version of this to be a little less flavorful than the tinned version. A little flatter.

Comes in flake form with brown strands mixed with a few blonder strands with a sort of birds eye look. I find this to be an excellent Virginia based blend with a good portion of Burley to add body, with a tad of Latakia as the reenforcing element to the plain unsweetened Coco flavouring. There is a tad of Vanilla in here as well that I find unobtrusive yet adds a satisfying perfume to the flavor as well as the room note. Very pleasant indeed yet not aromatic. Yes this blend had a bit of the Gawith baby powder-like flavor and scent but I'd say the lowest amount than any of their other blends. To me it is only apparent when first lit, and fades into the backround during the smoke to where I don't detect it. The Virginias have a nice zing to them and at mid bowl the flavors get more concentrated as the strength increases a little. Sometimes this can smoke a little hot if pushed. Back off and go slow and all will be well. At first I smoked this strictly in pipes reserved for Virginia blends, but now I smoke it in my English blend pipes with no real flavor changes to worry about.

This is a zesty blend and great with a cup of joe. High quality Virginias. Great anytime but I like it best as a morning smoke or late at night reading. Excellent!

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (111)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

We come a long way baby since the colonial blends. All that I can say about this blend is that Not only have I stepped in it. But I have now smoked it too. PPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can taste the chocolate through the overwhelming flake. then your a better man then me. I know why there is all those unknowns in this description. You cannot list that flavor of a burnt cup of coffee and dirt. As for the aroma it is better to light this while marooned on a desert island as not to offend or damage anyone's old factory senses.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Bland and distinctly underwhelming.

When I first tried this blend I found it rather intriguing: It was slightly sweet, with cocoa trying to fight its way to the front against a swirl of earthy aromas. Sadly after about eight bowls, it becomes flat and incredibly bland. It has the chocolate cereal base that can be found in 1792 -and many- others but without anything above this foundation.

I'm a big fan of soapy florals but this tobacco is truly awful. If you want a chocolate Va, then go for Louisiana flake and give this one a miss.

Grey Cloud Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grey Cloud (9)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very delectable tobacco. Rubbed out, or left whole, it lights quite easily. The taste is full, and you'll taste each different kind of leaf used. * Update I have noticed this blend iratates my throat, causing me to cough. I'll take my rating down a notch. After a week or so I can give my full thought on this tobacco-Quite uneventful. Blah even. I think most tend to laud this tobacco because they want to provided the leaf used. Everyone will taste this a little different. I don't like it.

tbone Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tbone (6)
Very Mild Medium Overwhelming Tolerable

I feel like there's should be bubbles coming out of my pipe. I bought 8 oz. of this flake on the recommendation of a new toabcconist. Thank God it's cheap! No offense to those that enjoy this, but I get a wierd soapy/floral taste and aroma from this stuff. Do you remember what Play-doh smells like. It's kind of like that for me. Nothing against play-doh but i can't stand this. I mixed it with a bunch of another amromatic I had stashed and it ruined it too. Obviously this gets a lot of good reviews, so YMMV but don't say I didn't warn you. Good luck.

Bezoar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bezoar (14)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The burning leaf smells of ash and latakia. However the smoke is the most pleasent part of this blend of tobacco as it really is not noticable upon ones clothing.

The flavor was not there at all, just an ashy ciggarette taste with the occaisonal watered down tast of vanilla and latakia. The best flavor came at light up when the 15 matches that were needed to get it burnign, fully rubbed out, provided some nice sulfur taste.

Burns well, cakes well, burns slower then PA in a smal bowl.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Napa Wine Lover's review reflects my assessment completely. I would only add that for me, Bob's Chocolate flake burns hot and bites the tongue.

If you're looking for a really fine tobacco with a chocolate flavor, take a look at Samuel Gawith's Kendal Mayor's Chocolate Flake.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The first taste post-light was one of Irish Spring. The soap.

It kept popping up through the bowl. It's not terribly unpleasant but it's not an ecstatic flavor I seek when smoking.

I must say - it's nice to taste some tobacco in an aromatic. Aromatics with a little latakia are rare enough.

Speaking of aromatic, my wife complained after only two puffs from another room. She seems to appreciate light Balkans over this stuff!

Images evoked: dashing a cup of heavily-creamed milk over a corroded car battery before scrubbing it down with Dove(sensitive skin sudsy bath gel edition).

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Very enjoyable and reliable smoke. I am going to completely agree with the 2 Aug 05 review by smoker390 including the comments on its fine aroma.

Traditionally, I have stayed away from the full range of "aromatics" after toasting my tongue as a young man on every corner store brand before discovering the world beyond. Now, while being a tobacco snob by avocation, I've probably denied myself enjoying some great blends because of suggestion that they were nice smellng and my personal enjoyment needed to be invertly proportional to their enjoyment. I have reformed slightly in my older age.

Well this is another one added to my collection of absolutely favorites. It tastes wonderful, it smokes very well and it is a regular in my rotation. I have only purchased this from bulk more aged stock. I'm eager to find if the tin variety requires a different approach, or if additional aging is an issue from the less favorable comments I have read. As far as the soapy taste described ... I'm wondering if it's what I believe is a vegetal / herbal / floral taste. It's amazing how individual tastes are and quite interesting to read contrasting opinions respectfully. Perhaps I like the taste so much since it reminds me of the penalties of my verbal indiscretions as a youth.

Orignal review 9/24/05

UPDATE: 9/16/06

Sadly I must downgrade my review of this tobacco. Since my earlier review, I've found this to be inconsistent in quality and ever so much more flavored than I had come to enjoy. I'm sorry to say that I have no plans to revisit this blend in the near future. I'm not typically an aromatic smoker - although I like to venture every now and then around the flavored tobaccos as not to be too much of a snob. This just doesn't do it any more at all. I believe it to be a combination of a reduction in quality by the maker and changes in my palate.

Cheers, VC

MozzMann Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MozzMann (32)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

(Review) 1-27-05 This tobacco was tasteless, had tongue bite and was down right flat, maybe for a little change of pace, I may hit it again....3 out of 10 stars...MZMN.. Update 8-29-06 VILE WEED! This tobacco is down right NASTY, and you may as well throw your pipe in the fire pit when your done smokin this garbage. I repeat, you will NEVER get the smell or taste out of your pipe! M.Z.M.N

OLDTIMER Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OLDTIMER (39)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A wonderful Tobacco. If I were stuck on an Island, and could only have one blend this would be it. Smokes cool, no tongue bite, and burns to a dry clean ash. The Chocolate and light Latakia makes this flake my favorite. A must try. Up-Date!!! I am glad I was not stuck on an Island, Because this Tobacco has turned out to be quite boring. after smoking a lot of this stuff, I am changing my review. bland, not complex and slightly bitter. Next review I will not jump the gun.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this blend to be monochromatic, a taste that was not to my liking and it quickly bored me. Rather than the taste of milk or dark chocolate, I found the taste to be more reminiscent of cocoa (as noted in the description) and unsweetened baker?s chocolate. If you?ve ever taken a bite of your mother?s unsweetened baker?s chocolate bar as a kid thinking it would taste like a Hershey Bar, those memories will come back after taking a few puffs of this stuff. This is a distinctive blend that I think most folks will either love or hate. By the way, who is Bob?

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 5.50 out of 10.

raadman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raadman (31)

If you like a good quality choco/english aromatic then this stuff is for you... kinda like Squadron Leader with diabetes. Pay no attention to the Ivory Soap and Chanel #5 that were accidentally dumped into your tin...

Peterson bent brandy

Overwhelming Mild Extra Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I say somewhat rcommended because some people drink rot gut and eat raw meat. This is really strong stuff and I would not buy it again.At your own risk! A great alternative is Gawith's Chocolate Flake. Totally different stuff. 2 of 4 stars

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Strong Medium Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is different than the Gawith Chocolate Flake because it has more strength & less burley. But I warn you: it is hot, hot, hot & strong as the kick of an ox! Sit down when you smoke this or it will knock you over. To be sure, the ingredients indicated above are exotic & lend to the drama of smoking a deep English flake. Though, again, it's Gawith, and leaves me yearning for greater subtlety. Gawith must be one of those blenders that has either a loyal following or harsh critics; there's no middle ground here. This is strong stuff & it's smokey, but other than that, what's the point? It's too moist to rub out well, but if you fold it directly into the bowl you'll be overwhelmed by heat radiating to the palate and throat. Try a slice if there's an open tin. Otherwise, move on to something else!

Two of five stars

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After my local tobacconist told me this was one of the best selling latakia blends on his shelf, I bought a tin. He had compared the cocoa flavour to "light topping, just a touch to lessen the strength of the latakia". I was a bit skeptical, having read many reviews describing the soapy taste of this blend.

Maybe it was just because I was expecting it, but I was hit with the soapy sensation (more of an aroma than flavour) as soon as I lit up. It lasted throughout the entire bowl and subsequent bowls of this blend. It's very difficult to describe, but the soapy aroma is not altogether unpleasant to the taste, and it makes for a very nice room note. There is the barest hint of cocoa and a natural, smoky sweetness to it - not at all the sort of sweetness you get from aged Virginias. I certainly do not regret buying this tin and will smoke the rest of it, but I don't believe I will purchase it again, as I prefer fuller latakia blends.

bobspipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bobspipe (13)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I wanted to like this, really. after hearing and reading about this blend for a few years I was wanting to give it a try even though I'm not a chocolate flavor lover. The chocolate and tobacco taste were certainly there and a good mix, but I just couldn't get past the soapy taste despite several tries that others apparently don't find, don't mind, or get through -- I had the same trouble with ennerdale flake. Good if you can get past it, but not if you can't.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I smoked this blend out of a churchwarden. The flakes are a bit moist for my taste, but seems to rub out and light easily enough. It has a pleasant but unusual taste accented with an ever so slight floral note. And yes, soap. Much soap.

Overall it it a pleasant change of pace smoke, but certainly not something I would smoke often nor go out of my way to obtain.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Much like RCUSElder above, I am a big fan of Latakia who is branching out into the world of Virginias. I also like the occasional aromatic as well, and when I am in the mood for an aromatic, as often as not, it?s chocolate & vanilla. Bob?s Chocolate Flake sounded like a dream come true.

Based on the reviews here and from friends, I went ahead and bought BCF in bulk, actually a bit more than I normally would with an untried tobacco. I figured this one couldn?t miss. The flakes are huge! More like slabs.

I found the bag aroma to be fairly non-distinctive, but I wasn?t worried ? I bought it to smoke after all. The moisture was a bit much, so I dried it out some. I rubbed it out most of the way and loaded up. The moment of truth ? I was about to sample the ?best of all worlds? tobacco. Flame met leaf, and the first impression I got of BCF was?. Soap. I persevered. Maybe it?ll fade, maybe it?s just the BCF combining with what I smoked in this pipe last. I held on to the hope.

As the bowl progressed, I caught subtle nuances of chocolate, and from time to time, a nice sweet Virginia flavor peeked out around the soap. I even detected Latakia now and then. The soap remained. I smoked several bowls, always in the same pipe, hoping the pipe and tobacco would finally come together and banish the soap. It never happened. I tried drying it more. I tried drying it less. I tried different pipes. Nothing worked.

I guess BCF just isn?t for me. It?s a shame too? it has depth, it has character, it has tons of potential. Unfortunately the potential isn?t realized. To my taste, the soap is just too much.

Oh, and by the way, the admonitions of other reviewers of BCF flavoring the pipe should not be taken lightly. It is tenacious, to say the least.

RobAtHome Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RobAtHome (25)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Mild Tolerable

Yuk. Just yuk.

If you like lake-district blends, this may be for you. It's not for me. The aromatic component overwhelms the tobacco, it's cloying, and (to me) generally unpleasant. The only tobacco so far where I've not been able to finish the bowl. "Chocolate bar meets urinal cake", and the stink clings tenaciously to a pipe.

I bought this because of various ravings about its flavor. Indeed, in the jar this has a restrained smell of lightly cased natural tobacco. When flame touches weed, however, all bets are off and the casings club you about the palate. If you want tobacco that tastes nothing like tobacco, this is your blend. You can have my share.

Update: Over the years, this has grown on me. I pick up a little from time to time, and can enjoy it on rare occasions. I wouldn't recommend it unless I knew someone really liked Lake District flakes, but I don't abhor this as much as I used to.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (17)

I loved this Tobacco.... seriously... I smoked three times by day... is a incredible broken flake, smells like a cocoa, smokes cool and burn from the start to the final. and my wife approved the room note...

mortonbriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mortonbriar (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

i will not do a standard review because i think there are enough already, just a few extra notes. I enjoyed the soapy flavour because thanks to these reviews, and the previous bowl or two i have smoked of this flake, i was expecting it. I still call it soapy but mean that in a way that distinguishes it from other blends/brands, rather than a bad thing. I doubt everyone is going to enjoy this blend however, it is fairly mild all round, and if that soap smell puts you off i cant see you getting into it. Packing it light as suggested was a good idea, i also rubbed it out fairly militantly and left it strewn out on a paper towel for an hour or so before i packed it.

the middle of the bowl hinted at a presence of latakia, but if i was not aware it was in the mix i may not have even noticed.

I also cut off one slice of a petersons 3p's cube and rubbed that into the mix, i think this probably provided the nic hit i noticed when i finally left the beanbag an hour and a half later. Accompanied successfully by a few cups of lapsong souchong tea.

Pipe Used: churchwarden briar

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (8)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Every time I open this tin, I breathe it in for a few moments. The smell of cocoa is just strong enough to keep me coming back for another smell. After I rub a few flakes I let it sit for at least 20 minutes before smoking, otherwise it's too moist and gurgly. This is a smooth smoke comprised of mostly Virginias. After some trial and error I've found that it burns the best for me in a large pipe, loosely packed, loosely rubbed, and I use matches. Smoke slow.

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The only chocolate blend I like. And the taste is very soft. The latakia flavor is mostly tasted in this blend, with the sweet chocolate infusion in the background. If you are looking for a crossover (english aromatic) this is one to try. Be sure to give it enough dry time.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought a tin of this fine tobacco over a year ago at the local Tinder Box. I put the tobacco in a ziplock bagy and forgot where I had put it. Just found the bag today.

The flakes were twisted a bit and quite dry. Just right to me! Rubbed a little out, leaving large pieces. Even though it was dry it took a few flames.

Mellow rich and a true chocolate flavour comes thru. Very rich with the Virginia leaves, creamy even. The smoke was sweet and spicey. This is what smoking a pipe is all about! Right down to the bottom of the bowl it was delicious.

Good ol Bob!

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

It's all been said. Good stuff. The Latakia and lakeland touch is very soft, which works superbly well. Really its a VA blend, burley blend, lakelands blend and an English blend all mixed together and it still pleases. Nice.

Lestrade Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lestrade (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Bob's Chocolate Flake has a wonderful smooth Dark Chocolate aroma that compliments the constituent tobaccos and carries over into a medium but rich taste. G&H claims there is Latakia in there, but I never detect any. I find Bob's Chocolate Flake to be even deeper in aroma and flavor when it is dried and rubbed out. With that prep and pack method, after a few bowl's in a dedicate pipe, the Chocolate flavor and aroma is very deep and rich. Also ages very well. One of my top 3. Highly recommended.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another brilliant flake from G,H&co.

Not as strong as many of their others but still very satisfying. The small amount of latakia is a perfect addition to the sweet chocolate. It's only just discernable but it really helps to give this blend body and cool the smoke which prevents it from becoming just another dull chocolate aromatic.

I didn't notice any Lakeland florals but the depth of flavour would be enough to keep me interested in this for a very long time. If you're an all day smoker I think this would be the perfect tobacco for you - it doesn't overwhelm the palette but is consistantly interesting, the nicotine is there but not in huge quantities, it's cool smoking and maintaience free.

A great english/aro crossover which is exactly what I hoped the Samuel Gawith version would be (and wasn't).

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one good tobacco! I love the flavor and burn qualities. I do think it smokes better rubbed out. The ash is white and the side stream is pleasant, the Latakia is there but in the back ground. I don't get any of the actual flavorings other than Virginia's, a fullness from the Burley and a light Latakia note. It does have a pretty good N hit(at least to me)as all Lakelands that I've smoked seem to do. It could very well be my body chemistry but you might want eat something before you fire up a full bowl, I do smoke larger pipes so, a smaller pipe could make a difference. If your looking for a sweet aromatic based on the name continue your search. If your looking for a top flight tobacco, with a great burn rate and rich flavor with a good N hit, then this maybe your lucky day! Some folks may find the N a little to heavy so I would start with a smaller pipe and work your way up.I personally like the nicotine but some may not. Otherwise as a whole it work's, and very well to me. It's kind of unusual in that it burns completely to the bottom, but it seems like you have tobacco left as it ends with just under a 1/4 of the bowl left. Or so it seems, the clue is it will no longer light, but when you lift the ash out you have nothing but a gray powder. Try it and see for yourself, I think that you'll enjoy it!

rattdogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattdogg (33)

I love BCF! I want to be up front about that. I've smoked it for many years and will continue to do do for as long as it's made. I've gone through many tobaccos in the past thirty five years. I smoked several for years and one day find that my taste has changed or the tobacco has. Either way that blend goes by the wayside. BCF has remained a constant with me. I love that slight floral taste or possibly smell combined with the light cocoa taste in the background. I cannot detect the Latakia but all the tobaccos used blend to make one very smooth smoke. Ladies and gentlemen this is what pipe tobacco is supposed to tast like! At least in my opinion. It's good anytime of day in anysize pipe but i really love it with that first cup of morning coffee. Excellent!

Gilthoniel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gilthoniel (25)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I tried an ounce each of Bob's, Lousisina Perique and Ennerdale Flake to see what GH is all about. Personally, Bob's Chocolate Flake was the clear winner.

In the packet, it smelled very strongly of latakia to me, but others have said they didn't notice it. Maybe my nose is sensitive to it.

Lighting up, it tasted like strong dark chocolate. By mid-bowl I could taste the latakia, which really helped add body to the sweetness of the Virginia and the topping. A complex smoke that gives you a lot to think about.

I was hoping it would be a stronger and richer version of Mac Baren's Navy Flake, and for once I pretty much got my wish. I'll be getting a pound of this in very soon, I suspect.

The Commoner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Commoner (30)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Well then, this was a smoking life changer. I shied away for awhile because of the "chocolate" in the name.

I don't mean to get all hyperbolic on ya'll but this is simply the best damned thing I ever smoked. I have just bought several lbs to sock away.

Tin: Or in my case baggie as I bought in bulk. Mmmmmmmm. Nuff said.

Loading: Excellent A tad wet. I rub it out and dry for a few minutes, or longer if it's humid. No issues. Typical flake. Then air pocket in a avg. 3/4 X 1.5"+ bowl.

Light and Burning: Top notch. Char it. Light tamp. Fire it up and off you go. A few relights but I always have a few.

Taste: Flavor: Omagod. Wow this is some good stuff. Just a hint of Lakeland on the char. Then it's really good tobacco flavor with a nice rounding of sweetness. This ain't Hershey's folks so don't be concerned about the chocolate. In no way "aromatic". But it's not some sort of stiff lipped "English Blend" either. There's some latakia there but it only sings back up. You gotta try it to understand.

Bite: Not one bit of bite for me and I'm a little bite prone. Zero and I do mean zero.

Room Note: Must be OK the wife doesn't flee.

General Comments: If you haven't tried this invest 5 bucks and get an ounce in bulk. I think nearly any pipe smoker will find something to like here whether you're one of those cherry jubilee, whip cream mocha surprise types, a latakia reeking English Blender, a Virginia sipping "sophisticate" or even a good old codger burley drugstore cowboy.

Negro de Chile Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Negro de Chile (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Esta mezcla fue una de las 2 primeras con las que me inicié en el mundo del tabaco de pipa de calidad, junto con Frog Morton de McClelland, adquiridas por internet a un muy buen precio comparado a lo que suelen cobrar en mi pais por este tipo de tabaco...si es que lo encuentras...Antes de ellas solo habia probado Amphora Full Aroma y una bolsa de un aromatizado de Mc Baren, pesimamente conservado de una pseudotabaqueria de Viña del Mar. Por lo que pasar a degustar un tabaco en lata sellado al vacio y de magnifica conservacion y humedad, fue estar en otro mundo. De modo que mi buena impresion de esta labor, bien puede estar sesgada por estos factores. Ahora,3 años mas tarde y habiendo probado diversas otras mezclas de variadas marcas de renombre, la retrospectiva de Bob's Chocolate Flake sigue siendo mas que favorable. La fuerza nicotinica me pareció suave pues como muchos compañeros pipafumadores vengo del mundo de los cigarros puros,algunos verdaderamente fuertes.El aroma a vainilla y chocolate en su medida justa.Pica poco y enciende bien dependiendo como cargues la pipa(a mi me gusta desmenuzado). Wife rating? luego de oler el aroma mi esposa se interesó en fumar pipa!! Buen tabaco, buen sabor, buen aroma, sobre todo para empezar este bello hobbie (no vicio) Altamente recomendado. Saludos, Rodrigo

eamonclever Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eamonclever (45)
Medium Medium Very Full Pleasant

if you like cadbury hot chocolate drinks you certainly love this tobacco as well. I like this good amount of cocoa very much although I don´t eat cho olate bars at all. I bought the bulk version of this fine baccy. The smell of it forced me to load a bowl right away after opening the box. And yes, there is the good taste again, cocoa and good va wonderful. It is satisfactory and imo this is not an aromatic. BCF is naturally sweet due to the high amount of va, i don´t think there is sugar added - it is pure. Burley and a spray of latakia makes the mixture perfect for a pleasant longtime smoke in a medium or large bowl. I detect a slight lakeland flavouring, I love this fresh note in a couple of dark flake tobaccos like BBF#2 for instance. It makes the difference compared to others and that´s what counts for me to be a good smoke. BCF is perfectly composed for all va lovers who like a change of pace or enjoy a good strong espresso without sugar or milk some times a day.

MadMarv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MadMarv (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

OK, for the first time in 30+ years I've crossed the line. I admit it. This is an aromatic - and I LIKE IT! That's a big admission for me. Now, I've enjoyed a few topped tobaccos such as C&D's Epiphany, but this one to me is a real aromatic. It is just so well done you hardly notice.

I've been wanting to try some Lakeland flakes for some time, but knew from past experience that the straight VA's leave me wanting more. And I rarely have liked anything without at least some latakia, but still with summer coming on I didn't want a full tilt English. I love chocolate, so--

Beautiful flake presentation, a little moist. I let the tin sit, loosely covered, overnight, and was ready to go. Loosely packed a GBD Prehistoric XL bent with the fold and stuff method. A charring light, then away we went. Was immediately impressed with the amount of smoke, and the velvety mouthfeel - an important feature to me. Taste was only a little sweet, and very rich.

If it was only the chocolate I wanted I'd be disappointed. There's very little in the smoke, maybe a little more vanilla evident. But underneath that and the distinctive (and entirely pleasant, in this blend) Lakeland note there is a wonderful, rich, dark, and cool smoke. I can pick out the burley if I try, and the latakia, but that would be like isolating the trumpets playing in a full orchestra - the whole is so much better. This is definitely a keeper, and I can't wait to see what it'll be like after aging. Four out of four stars, and worth every penny.

zymurgist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zymurgist (2)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very interesting flake. I find myself very interested in flake tobacco. Not sure if its the extra effort of rubbing it out (or folding if thats your method). Brings back that primeval sensation of a time long past, or if I just need specialized help.

A very full round flavor. Hint of cocoa, with a great blend of tobacco. Fortunately I get only a faint hint of the Lakeland region in this 'baccy. Comes off with almost an incense quality. I've got nothing but compliments from passer byes. Not that I care that much.

Oh I'm such a caring individual. Just ask Cargosizedrumor, he'll vouch for me.

I'll buy this one again, it's one of my favorites. Though I am going to try Samuel Gawith's first.

Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

Ok...this stuff was three dollars more than its cousin Chocolate Flake (Samuel Gawith) and not nearly as good. The tin aroma was pleasant, smelling of sweet vanilla and faintly of cocoa...no latakia seemed to be present. This blend tasted soapy and slightly floral, but in a bad way. The aroma was rough and assaultive...Yuck! I only got halfway down the bowl and had to dump it out...I was also worried it might taint my pipe. I was thinking of whom I might give this to, but didn't want to lose a friend...it went the way dead goldfish go.

PfeifenRaucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PfeifenRaucher (53)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

First, let me preface this review by noting that I have been smoking the bulk version. I cannot say if the tinned variety would live up to my glowing review.

This stuff is TASTY - that is the best way to describe how I feel about it! It changes its flavor nicely down the bowl: starts off with a distinct chocolate flavor and gradually gives way to a spicy, rich tobacco taste.

If you are reading these entries and trying to decide whether to purchase some of this blend, let me offer this questionnaire:

1. Do you like dark chocolate? 2. Do you appreciate latakia in small, subtle doses? 3. Do you like tobaccos that burn cool? 4. Do you like to pair your pipe smoking with one of the following beverages: coffee; espresso drinks; hot chocolate; porter-style beers?

If you answered yes to the questions above give this a try!

Lastly, IMHO this is not really an "aromatic" in the typical sense. It is a subtly-scented English blend. Fantastic stuff!

tacoeatingzebra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tacoeatingzebra (36)

if i were stuck on an island in the middle of the south pacific, far from civilization and i could only bring one blend with me, this one would be a contender. sometimes when i am smoking it, i wonder why i smoke anything else. i've tried other lakeland flakes and various other blends, but here i truly pick up what i beliee others describe as the soapy flavor. i find it incredibly pleasing, and that's not to say that tomorrow i will pick up a bar of ivory and eat it. whatever that flavoring agent is, it compliments the chcolate & vanila flavors quite well. i must admit that i can't taste the latakia in this one too much, but my latakia tastes tend to be the types of blends that wallop others over the head with a billy club. the burleys however, really shine and at times, despite the fact that i see that it is mostly VA tobaccos, i feel like i am smoking a burley dominated blend. i suppose this is due to the chocolate flavoring, as burley often tastes chocolatey to me.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Medium to Strong Very Strong Very Full Tolerable

The main characteristics of this tobacco come from Latakia and the smooth perfume of chocolate. It has tobacco from Zimbabwe and Virginia. Latakia is not strong but adds its strength and perfume. Cocoa and the flavors of chocolate are combined harmoniously with vanilla and the other flavors. It reminds you of a very good and strong coffee, to which you have added a bit of brown sugar. You should smoke it slowly (especially if you have not rub it a lot), it does not warm up the bowl. You can easily smoke it all day. It keeps the same flavor almost till the end of bowl. At last I smoked it again and it is EVEN BETTER THAN the FIRST TIME. FLAVOUR. Definitely you can smoke it easily if you rub it well, before you smoke it.

I WOULD LIKE TO THANK VERY MUCH THE REVIEWER PIPESTUD CAUSE AFTER READING HIS REVIEWS, THE LAST TWO YEARS, I LEARNED A LOT, REGARDING THE TOBACCOS TASTING

Red Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Red (8)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

This was my first venture into the world of latakia! Very well done. The Virginia's hold front stage but, it does have a very nice smokyness to the package. I sure don't taste the Chocolate,but the Lakeland Florals are there but not too much. I got this as a gift. and have since smoked up the entire tin in short order. I have just ordered the bulk version. I hope it's as good as the tin! Top slelf in cellar.

dogsplayinpoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogsplayinpoker (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Let me preface this by saying I do not like latakia. I have been smoking a pipe for 15 years and it has never grown on me. However, BCF is one of my favorite tobaccos of all time. I tried it through recommendation of a shop owner and he didn't tell me it contained any latakia. It is hardly detectable. Smokes cool and never gets rancid at the end of a bowl. It has been awhile since I was a new smoker but I would give this to a newbie in a heartbeat. Great stuff!

Lancelot Gobbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lancelot Gobbo (23)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Whoever says British blenders can't do an aromatic like the Dutch and the Danes should try this. It's a shame almost to call it an aromatic, as it will put some smokers off, and this deserves a wide audience. The tin aroma is mouth-watering - it smells of real chocolate, not chocolate flavouring (although patently that is what it is!) The long flakes break up easily - don't rub them right out as they light just fine and will provide a longer smoke when left in large chunks. As is my usual disorganised habit with flakes, I just cram them in and get on with it. It works. Better still, if the flakes are not broken up, the chocolate taste lasts all through the bowl, and there is little bite from the latakia. On lighting the first flavour is indeed chocolate, but the earthy taste of cocoa powder rather than a sweet confection's taste. This combines intriguingly with the smoky flavour of the tobacco, especially on exhaling through the nose. There is a detectable vanilla or tonka element which adds to the pleasure, but is far from intrusive. The chocolate can be detected right to the end, rather than disappearing, but this is fine with me, and I'm not an aromatic-type these days. Very mild on the tongue, but a distinct nicotine kick is present. Delicious!

Irish Newbie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irish Newbie (12)

TIhis is a strange tobacco. It seems to be different everytime I buy it. I can appreciate way some people don't like it. It does have a slightly scented taste and there is a hint of vanilla in it. The chocolate comes and goes as one progresses through the bowl. Think of a good quality coco powder and that roughly is the taste you get. I like this tobacco a lot. There are days when I find it a bit bland and other days when I find it very very tasty indeed. It burns cool and slow and tastes very smooth. No bite at all. I am not a fan of aromatics in general and don't really consider this an aromatic. I don't tend to rub it out -just fold the flake and put in in the bowl. It may need a few goes to get it lit but doesn't require relights very often if at all. I buy it loose and find it to be the perfect moisture. The tobacco is very good quality and not particularly strong. Highly recommended with a good coffee.

speckchaser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speckchaser (22)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This is definitely a quality tobacco.Bought 8oz of bulk so it came to me at the right moisture content and ready to burn.At first light the lackland floral note jumped out at my taste buds but soon disapeared unveiling a smooth yet complex taste.The choclate flavoring weaves in and out not becoming to cloying,it doesnt take over the tobacco taste.The Latakia to me only makes it presence felt at the match,other than cooling and balancing the Virginias.I have smoked in all size bowls and really cant recommend a size I enjoyed all of them.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

To me, the tin aroma of this Flake is of a very light Lakeland essence. Smoked slow, it burns cool and dry. The Latakia is indiscernible. While very well behaved in all aspects, what brings me back time and time again to BCF is the tobacco flavor itself and its truly medium bodied character.

Regardless of prep or packing method, the trick to getting the most out of BCF is a slow cadenced pull. Anything above a very slow sipping like pace will result in a complete loss of the already faint and elusive chocolate flavoring. Hitting the zone with this one however, is truly sublime and worth the effort involved required to get the most out of it.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The first time I reviewed this tobacco I gave it 2 stars which reinforces my philosophy that you should never put anything in writing...This has become one of my favorites. Yes, it has the Lakeland floral, but I now regard this as just another layer of flavor which can be very subtle if the puffing cadence is controlled. It's one of the few flakes that I actually smoke in flake form without rubbing.

I contritely upgrade this to four stars.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Strong Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one tastey Choco-nilla Virginiakia pie! That's not to say it's sweet, cause it isn't, much. The choco-nillaness is drifty. I love these non-American virginias the Lakeland people use. Very rich. They are the main flavors in this flake, which came to me -bulk- perfectly slightly dry.

I know moisture content doesn't really count to most people in bulk, but it does to me since it means I'm getting a better deal. I can always re-hydrate. (But I've never had to with either of the Gawith companies' bulk).

There are no flowers involved in this flake, just great tobacco flavor, a slight top note (ok medium top note) and a nice visit from Saint Nic. (Funny, this one makes my nose sweat and most people say it's medium strength.) Smokin!

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Tolerable

My initial bowl of this was dumped out after the first light. There was no way I could tolerate the soapy Lakeland taste. But just as any tobacco, I wanted to give it a fair chance. Over the course of the next three bowls, the soapiness all but disappeared. It gave way to the cocoa-Latakia flavoring I was hoping for. Lights like a dream, with minimal tamping (if rubbed out all the way). Smokes cool and dry all the way down, without ever hinting at biting. Recently purchased 5 more tins, this is my current favorite!

Update: Just ordered 2 lbs, bumped my review up to a solid 4 stars!

Will pair well with a Tanzanian coffee and cream.

hoo-boy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hoo-boy (17)

At last an aromatic that you can taste the tobacco in. It is a Pleasurable smoke I prefer loading it without rubbing it out just pack her in. The room note is just great, I know no one who disagrees with that comment. If you don't particularly care for an aromatic blend try this one I believe you will be Pleasently surprised. a 4 star in my opinion. hoo=boy

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

I should say from the outset that I am a big fan of the Lakeland tobacco offerings and especially those from G&H. These blends are, however, not likely to receive broad acceptance in the world of the strictly "natural tobacco" smokers a number of whom may be strongly repelled by these "scented" blends. Though Bob's Flake contains some Latakia, the Latakia is simply not in a sufficient quantity or proportion to satisfy most Latakia fans. Bob's is likely to find much broader appeal with Virginia and Virginia/Perique blend smokers or those who simply dislike the sometimes overpowering nature of heavier Latakia blends.
The color of this flake is a mottled chestnut brown with scattered lighter streaks and bits and the occasional speck of Birdseye. The soft aroma of an herbal vanilla is evident (but not the chocolate). Upon initially firing the bowl, the scent and taste of vanilla and cocoa are prominent, but they slip quickly into the background. What remains after the first few puffs is a slightly less than medium-bodied homogenous smoke dominated by the taste of tobacco. There is a kind of "old-fashioned" quality in the smoke that almost defies description--"musty-dusty" is perhaps as close as I can get. There is a flavor that is reminiscent of a fountain malted milk or a weak cup of hot cocoa and milk sans sugar. I want to emphasize that this taste is subdued--the cocoa/chocolate taste is much more of a whisper than a shout. I do not detect much in the way of herbals/florals/astringents, but then I regularly smoke the much more heavily scented G&H blends, so what may be there largely escapes my attention. This blend does not provide much complexity; in fact, it can be rather monochromatic. There may be just enough coloration and substance to provide some interest. The room aroma is pleasant and relatively neutral displaying just the slightest suggestion of unsweetened cocoa or chocolate. The nicotine potency is on the soft side. The flavor of the Virginias is the dominant theme and while Latakia is present, it is used strictly as a condiment that enhances the Virginias and falls into the background providing only a hint of extra darkness and depth. The Burley component is undoubtedly used as a vehicle for transporting some of the flavoring agents, but at only 2% the Burley can hardly provide much of its own individual character. Though this is not one of my favorite G&H blend, I can smoke it on occasion. This blend is very much about subtlety and nuance and it won't appeal to everyone. It consistently smokes cool and, like many of the G&H tobaccos that I have tried, is almost completely devoid of any tendencies to bite.
UPDATE:
I have downgraded both of the Bob's blends to 2-stars because they have become, with time, too soft, subtle and nuanced for my tastes.

jetstream Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jetstream (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Another fine selection from G&H. An excellent blend of tobaccos that are tasty, sweet enough for me and cool burning. The added flavoring meld well with the natural tobacco taste. As an aromatic smoker this, along with Squadron Leader are the only latakia blends I smoke.

The room note is softer, and more on the side of aromatic cocoa that is pleasant. Less of the burning haystack that is a detraction to most people around you.

Flavor wise it's excellent the natural cocoa flavor of latakia blends well with the added flavoring, the virginia are good and sweet and the burley with the vanilla and chocolate keep the mixture cool to the end of the bowl.

A good choice for the aromatic smoker that wants to delve into latakia.

5/30/06 Addendum: I had bought this in bulk last year and storied in canning jars. I like this blend, and with a year's worth of aging it's really improved. The flavor is more rounded and the casing is more pronounced. It's now a very cool burning smoke that improves as it burns down the bowl.

BEN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BEN (58)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Wow! What a great tobacco! This is the first tobacco I have tried from this brand and it is fantastic! A little moist when first taken out of the tin, but it rubbed out fairly well and needed only a few relights. Upon recommendation of a friend I chose a smaller pipe, a Group 2 Billiard, and I would have to agree that this tobacco, due to strength, is best enjoyed in a smaller bowl. Fantastic flavor, I tasted the chocolate in small doses all the way through the smoke, pleasant room note..my partner says he could barely smell the chocolate but the smoke itself was very light. Not too much of a nicotine kick,in my opinion, but in a larger bowl I have heard it is quite noticeable. I am definitely keeping this on hand for when I want something different, very tasty blend, highly recommended!!

Bugenhagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bugenhagen (6)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I smoked quite a bit of BCF back in 03 and 04. Recently I bought a fairly large bulk order to divide up for Christmas presents, making sure to save at least a half pound for myself.

This is an excellent, well balanced virginia flake with just enough condimental leaf to put it over the top. The chocolate flavoring is very subtle, and the 'lake district' soapiness is kept to a minimum. In fact, I only notice it on first lighting.

I would compare it to G&H's Louisiana flake, but deeper and fuller. And it doesn't have LF's musty sourness that is attributable to perique.

My son was recently home for the Christmas holidays from the Naval Academy where he is a midshipman. He had been smoking some nice house blends from The Smoke Shop in Annapolis. He looked in my cannister on my desk and saw the BCF flakes and said, "Ooh. Flakes." He loaded up his Peterson and didn't touch his house blends for the remainder of the holidays. I had to send him back to Annapolis with a generous helping of BCF.

Elegant, sophisticated, full, and satisfying.

Bugenhagen

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

For an English smoker who dabbles in aromatics, this is one to dabble in. Even the aromatic devotee would love this fine G&H blend. Not much time needs spent on rubbing out the flake, as it rubs easily. At first light up the chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla seem to blend together reminiscent of the original Life cereal - not the cinnamon or other flavored, but the original Life. This is a far cry from any goopy aromatic, as where one can taste a complex array of natural flavors of real tobacco. This forms the base of the blend, and the added flavor is experienced as a top note - as it should be. The room aroma has been complimented on by my wife and mother-in-law; a true hall of fame induction! Bob's chocolate flake will burn down all the way to a gray-white ash, needing only one relight. I recommend smoking in a large briar bowl - a fine experience all around!

Professor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Professor (67)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Bob's Chocolate Flake is a splendid tobacco that will curb any sweet tooth! With each puff, I kept hoping to see a naked woman on horseback. Alas, my equestrian Coventry fantasy never came to fruition. Still, this candy was better than any Godiva I have had (Amsterdam aside, but that has nothing to do with tobacco). Indeed, Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. really does nice work and the touch of Latakia in this blend is the perfect compliment to its heavy Virginia make up. The only issue that I have with this weed it that is acts like melted chocolate when lit and will really goo up a pipe. And that, mates, is the naked truth.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Perhaps I was a victim of the hype and description of Bob's Chocolate Flake. The idea of very light Latakia (some said they couldn't detect it but could feel its added richness) and chocolate/vanilla flavorings applied to consistently-good GH flake tobaccos sounded like a no-lose situation. While a pretty good smoke, I was disappointed that some sacrifices were inherent in this blend.

I am a fan of GH's flake tobaccos, including Bright CR, Brown Flake, Scotch Flake and Glengarry. There is a fragrant, cake-like scent that is their signature. BCF messes with this, which I regret.

BCF is often recommended as an aromatic tobacco when people ask for tobacco suggestions. I don't understand this (of course, some people recommend Haddo's too!?). I don't taste or smell the chocolate, though there is a chocolate-type smoothness to the smoke. Vanilla? If I hadn't read the description, I never would have guessed. Then there is the Latakia. It is sparingly applied, though definitely a flavor component. It adds extra depth and a nice smokey quality. While it doesn't obscure the flavor of the other component tobaccos like so many English blends, it masks their nuances that make them so enjoyable. To my mind, it is comparable to (but different from) adding cigar leaf to a Virginia blend.

I don't dislike BCF. It was pleasant, though I became impatient for the end of the smoke. In trying to be too many things for too many people, it loses the qualities that make some other GH blends so amazing.

Anyone want to trade?

Addendum, January 2005: I traded away most of my stash after finishing the review above. I took what I had off of the shelf a year later, and really enjoyed this. It still lacks complexity, but it has a straightforward, sweet, friendly seductiveness to it. I know find myself reaching for it when I want something a little sweet and soft but with enough tobacco flavor to keep me interested. I've upgraded my recommendation by a star.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)

I liked this better than Rum Flake, but easily forgettable.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I am updating and upgrading my opinion of Bob's Chocolate Flake after having consumed a bowlfull at a recent meeting of my local pipe club. My first dance with this flake was from a sample in a baggie. This time, I tried it from a tin that had aged for about five months and the results were much better. The tobacco was a little too moist, and that made the rubbing out process a bit difficult. Normally I would let a blend this moist dry for about 12 hours, but, I was eager to dig in. The blend stayed lit well and rewarded me with a semi-sweet smoke that tingled somewhat like Perique when I blew the smoke through my nose. (There is no Perique in BCF. I'm only offering a comparison.) I never tasted the Latakia even though the description says it contains 8 percent of that particular leaf. I did get a wafting from time to time of chocolate and vanilla - but, way in the background and it was expertly balanced in order to provide the smoker with a true tobacco taste.

BCF did have a nice nicotine kick, and that was a plus in my book. I will purchase a few tins and cellar them for several years. I think this mostly Virginia blend will (like Raquel Welch,) age quite nicely.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

OK, this is some amazingly tasty stuff. No, really. It's a very pretty medium-brown flake shot through with some gold and some black that has the lovely scent of chocolate and tobacco. It rubs out easily or smokes well just rolled up whole and stuffed into a pipe, lights and burns well and tastes heavenly.

Initially, the flavors are bright and deep with the tobacco very noticeable underneath. Smooth, lightly chocolatey and smoky-woodsy at first, the flavors mostly burn off by halfway. Once that happens, the tobacco flavor left is mild and pleasant. Some find it bland, but I enjoy the easy let-down from the flavors and the mildly sweet smoke with a tinge of cigarriness underneath. It burns clean but does leave some flavor behind so it's best in a dedicated pipe.

Overall, this is a great smoke and one of my favorites from Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.

---

preppypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preppypipe (57)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

If someone who had never smoked a pipe in their life asked me for a solid reccomendation of a blend to try I would suggest this great tobacco to them wholeheartedly.It's not overpowering.Yet it's taste is rich and full.G&H makes the "Rolls Royce" of tobacco's and this one is their BEST!.. Highly Recommended! prep

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Two and a half cents...OK, I love this site...all the really excellent tobaccos I treasure, I've found through the "efforts" of other puffers...such a burden, but what interesting reading. Now re: BCF. After my research here I ordered some. Some here love it, some don't find it at all compatible...but I'm not disappointed in the least. I first tried it in a Tom Spanu for which NOTHING really sang - but this is a match made in heaven!!! Not much choco-aroma to my nose (just a little) but that flavor gives it an under-strength/smoothness that is excellent. More to my amazement are the burning qualities and the astounding coolness of the smoke. Fantastic. I haven't tried an extended DGT but 10 - 15 minutes are no problem. I'll always have this around.

Alberich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alberich (2)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

There are aromatics, and there are English blends. And then there's Bob's Chocolate Flake, which is a wonderful marriage of the two. Arriving at my door in nice, long flakes usually no wider than one inch across, GH&Co claims that there are chocolate, cocoa, and vanilla flavorings, and I can certainly smell the chocolate and cocoa in the bag...still, I've never really found the vanilla.

Upon lighting, in my mind, the predominant taste is smooth English, with a delightful but nowhere near overpowering latakia. As a piper that's been at it for under three years, I still have yet to get the mechanics down pat, but this is one tobacco that rarely needs a relight, just the occasional tamp. It burns dry, leaving a fluffy ash at the end, and a pleasant room aroma. Despite the latakia, this is one that even my roommates find oddly pleasant!

This is definitely an all-day smoke. It seemingly works just as well in the humidity of summertime as it does during the crisp days of Autumn or the cold days of Winter. The only drawback I can think of is that it seems to be difficult to find in brick-and-mortar stores, so I have to plan ahead far enough to order more when I'm running out.

Black Dog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Dog (25)

This was one of the first "quality" tobaccos I tried after converting from drug store brands, and it's still one of my favorites. I'd say Bob's Chocolate Flake made me a confirmed pipe smoker. If I don't smoke a bowl every day, I do at least several times per week.

The quality of G&H's products is evident with this tobacco. Nice long flakes. This is a mild, mellow, stoved VA, with a subtle background use of Latakia. If you're not a Latakia lover, don't fear. It's used very subtly, and the stoving process marries it well with the VA's. Personally, I bearly notice any use of chocolate flavors or aromas, although the flakes are a deep chocolate brown. Just full, delicious tobacco.

One of my favorites. Highly recommended.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Beautiful flakes ~1.5" x 6" are mainly brown VAs with some lighter and dark black tobaccos included. The moisture content is perfect and results in a cool smoke with an even burn and no relights. I expected the chocolate in its name to be more prevalent as with an aromatic but really didn't taste it although it was slightly evident in the room aroma and hid the Latakia from others that don't enjoy that aroma. The Latakia content was just right and not as heavy or overpowering in taste or aroma as with a Penzance or Bengal Slices. It's there thruout the smoke but just @ the right level. Comparatively expensive but a great and enjoyable smoke.

PBanker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PBanker (3)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely delicious! This wonderful tobacco is a remarkable blend that develops as you smoke the bowl; and each stage has its own charm. The latakia keeps the blend surprisingly cool, and adds depth. No one will complain about the room note. Stays lit and burns well, no matter if you rub it out, or fill the pipe as it is (loose flake).

I find the English 'scented' flakes and tobaccos are different than what one might normally consider an 'aromatic'; more subtle, with the flavours truly enhancing the natural tobacco taste.

In any case, I highly recommend this - it is my favourite tobacco.

incognitopoet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
incognitopoet (25)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first tried this flake, three years ago, I liked it. It was weird, but I couldn't taste much tobacco or chocolate because the other Lakeland flavors dominated. This evening I ran across the little Mason jar in a drawer of cellared tobaccos. When I opened the jar a wonderful bouquet of dark chocolate and sweet Virginia tobacco wafted out. Then I noticed a hint of leather, maybe from the latekia. I immediately grabbed my favorite Nording pipe and headed to the porch to sample this found treasure.

After three years in the jar the flakes were still completely intact, and moisture levels were perfect for smoking. I folded two flakes and loaded the bowl. The charring light offered a very dark chocolate flavor. As I puffed through the bowl very slowly I noticed a lot of Virginia sweetness, with creamy hints of the latekia. Mid bowl a flavor that I can only describe as "chocolate milk" predominated. As with any Virginia-dominant I puffed slowly to avoid bite, and there was very little as long as I kept it slow.

This is a masterpiece. The rich flavors and complexity make this a blend that I will use as an after-dinner smoke.

If you decide to try it, plan ahead. Aging absolutely made all the difference with this blend. Also make sure it is dry. The floral Lakeland experience was almost unnoticeable after aging, and the chocolate aroma came through very clearly.

Pipe Used: Nording

Appalachian Scholar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Scholar (22)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

In the tin, it smelled like an English/VA with a faint chocolate aroma. The taste was like a cross between an English and a Virginia. I could barely taste any chocolate at all. However, the room aroma is undeniably chocolate. If you like a real strong tobacco flavor but are forced to smoke aromatics around other this is the perfect compromise. Smokes especially well in a meerschaum.

Pipe Used: Paykoc Meerschaum

pacman357 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pacman357 (15)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

I got this in bulk, so maybe it tastes differently coming from a tin. A friend who lives nearby is on the local search & rescue team. Some day I've got to find a way to get him to get the team out to see if they can find where the chocolate that is supposed to be in this tobacco ran off to.

Pipe hound in PalmSprings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe hound in PalmSprings (9)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Extra Strong

Good God was this awful.....I am still looking for an incredible chocolate blend. Back in the late 60's, I would visit Churchill's of Birmingham and get their chocolate. So far nothing comes close and this stuff was the worst. Upon opening, there was an overwhelming scent of latakia and no chocolate to be found. I hesitantly smoked one bowl and it smoked worse than it smelled. If you are looking for a chocolate...this is not it......

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Mail order

Similar Blends: This can't be compared to anything I have smoked..

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Upon opening the product I noticed a delicious aroma from the sumptuous flakes . Despite the thickness I found them very easy to rub ! The smoke is very thick and also sweet but on the negative side it did require too many re-lights but after about 6 lights it stayed lit ! It is not the best aromatic as the smoke tasted sweet however I could not detect any particular identity to the sweetness i.e chocolate or vanilla just a nondescript sweetness ! I would say it is only " O.K" .

Pipe Used: Peterson

Purchased From: Mysmoking Shop

boc777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boc777 (18)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The jury is still out on this one for me. It is still kicking my arse on how to properly load it. I seem to either get it way too tight and it is nearly unsmokable, or it is way too loose. This is one of the few flakes in my collection and I guess I need to give it time. I agree with some of my fellow reviewers, it does seem to have a soapy taste at first, but that seems to subside for me as I work my way through the bowl. I have it aging in a jar right now, so maybe that will help as well. At its best, it is complex and satisfying. At its worst, it is frustrating and a turn off. The room note is better than I would have expected when smelling it in the jar, but there is just something a bit off kilter with this. I like it, but then I don't. I will give this some time and revisit this review with an open mind.

Age When Smoked: <1 year (bulk)

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (37)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Three stars even if you're not a Lakelands/lavender fan. (If it's an off-putting style, don't bother, but reviews are for the tobacco, not your own preferences IMHO.) While this will sound like a Dos Equis commercial (and I am light years from The Most Interesting Man in the World), I don't often smoke Lakelands fragranced tobaccos, but when I do I smoke this very pleasant chocolate flake. Good underlying mix of base tobacco, more than a hint of latakia that comes through mostly after the first third of a bowl, no aftertaste as from a bad aromatic, and a shockingly pleasant degree of "masculine" smoking satisfaction. Chocolate is unobtrusively present but easy to forget it's around. Great lighting and burn characteristics. Had it in tin and bulk. Equally good. Like it very much in my smaller flake pipes.

Pipe Used: stanwell featherweight bent pot; peterson poker

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: smokingpipes;pipesandcigars

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (94)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Aside from Grasmere Flake, Bob's Chocolate Flake is probably the most unique of the all the G&H flakes that I have tried and enjoyed. I purchased several ounces of this tobacco and put it away for a year or so. When I came back to it each flake was full of sugary bloom. The tin note is sweet with a whisper of G&H's pervasive floral aroma.

The components work quite well together. The Virginia and burley are nicely balanced and the flavor is primarily driven by the VA's. The Lakeland floral flavor hits the top note & the latakia is transparent enough to provide just a hair of a smoky flavor, but in sum it's barely present to me, both in flavor and in sidestream.

What I enjoy most about BCF is the bitter-sweet flavor that comes forth about a quarter of the way down the bowl. The smoke is soft, pillowy and fragrant. The tone of the overall flavor is quite warm. It performs well & you'd have to try really hard to get this to bite. As far as the name is concerned, I have never gotten even a hint of cocoa with this mixture, although the Latakia with the sweet cased VA's does provide something close, but quite frankly I don't get “chocolate” and honestly I could care less.

As mentioned, the G&H florals are quite present in the flavor, and it amazes me when I read reviews on how they go unnoticed for some. Somehow this blend works for me. The only negatives I can speak of is that it's a bad candidate for DGT, which I tend to do a lot of. Also it's quite unforgiving of loose technique & when stoked up a bit too much the flavors turn extremely bitter really fast. These two things aside, this is a darn good G&H offering and it seems to age nicely.

jlmdoval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlmdoval (11)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A bit disappointed by this one. Where is the chocolate? Lakeland taste is pleasant for me thus it wasn't a complete waste.

Room note have been compromised since my wife thinks of it as "reminds of cigarettes". However I will review this note after allowing it to sit a couple of months sitting in the cellar.

mark121863 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mark121863 (5)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This was my first Gawith, Hoggarth Tin. Bob's Chocolate was nothing to brag about. I opened the Tin to find the smell of musty Figs, and a hint of Coco or Vanilla. But, I don't let the Tin stop me from a good trial. The flakes needed some rubbing and drying time before loading into my medium Turkish Meerschaum. Lighting was then easy and it burned well.

OH LORD, on the first light the perfume chemical smell hit me in the face. It reminded me of Drugstore #59. The perfume faded with the heat of the match. However, it returned again in full force with the first few re-lights. I object to perfume in my backy!

After suffering those harsh moments of initial burn off, I found the flavor to be pleasant. Unfortunately, the Latakia was totally lost (I like Latakia). I detected a hint of chocolate. But, something unidentifiable is in this blend. It is a mystery to me what is in this tobacco blend that is providing a mellow sweetness worthy of two stars.

Bob's Chocolate is weak in vitamin N properties. Yet, after the perfume burned off, I found the sweetness enjoyable. The ladies will like the aroma room note.

Considering my deep vitamin N seeking puffs, it had no Tung bite. It was cool burning and long lasting. Yes, after a rest and relight, I enjoyed the last half of the bowel.

I will finish this Tin without regret. But, I will not purchase Bob's Chocolate again.

POSITION: 20+ year smoker. I normally like Full English, Virginia, Latakia, some uncased cav blends. I smoke 3–6 pipes a day. No tobacco sales.

Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I like the offering from SG better, taste-wise, though I couldn't get those flakes to smoke well either. This flake had more of an artificial flavoring to it and the latakia seemed to get lost. As stated this flake was hard for me to keep lit and if you can't smoke it, it aint gonna do too well. So....

irishjedi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
irishjedi (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great smell coming out of the tin, a long burning smoke. The hints of chocolate are a nice touch, very tasty.

Spinerazor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spinerazor (5)
Medium to Strong Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I just cant get over the soapy, flowery baby powder smell, its too much for me to take! i cant enjoy anything with this scent it destroys all that is obviously good about this quality tobacco, i want to like this blend too! why is this stink is so many blends, to me its just not natural.

MyPipeAndBook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyPipeAndBook (9)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

Describing the taste of this blend is difficult. Even though there is just a touch of latakia in there, you do notice it right away. As for any flavor of chocolate...I can't find it at all. The smell in the pouch is one of an english blend with something "Extra" that is hard to define. It's just a hard one to put your finger on, but the flavor kinda grows on you as the bowl progresses. Not sure what the blender was shooting for here but if it's chocolate you are looking for, this isn't it.

tmoney Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tmoney (24)
Medium Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Sitting across from me, Slugworth slid a plain brown briefcase across the table, wearing a sly grin on his face. I hesitated; I didn't trust his face, but I opened the briefcase anyways. It was full of money. I quickly closed it, glancing around to make sure nobody saw what I had just seen.

“What is this?” I asked

“Its simple really” He said from behind his thick glasses. “You have access to a place that I cannot go.”

“The chocolate factory…” I muttered.

“Right. Your golden ticket ensures your entry, giving you access to what I've been seeking for so long.”

I looked back at him, “You want me to get the Everlasting Gobstopper for you, you crook.”

“No! Forget the damned Gobstopper! I want you to bring me Bob's Chocolate flake and kill Willy Wonka!” He said, face red with frustration. "Forgive me," he said, "I want this flake. This is half of the money now", pointing at the briefcase. "The rest you will get if you complete the job."

I looked at Slugworth, then back at the money. Pondering my own ethics and whether I could pull it off. “Deal.” I said. It would change my life forever.

===== There I found myself, standing over Mr. Wonka, gun at his head. He stared up at me, face half fear, half disgust. Blood was streaming down his face from a where I had sucker pistol whipped him at his stupid half desk.

“You'll never get it from me! EVER!” He spat.

“We'll see about that” I said. Wonka had no idea what I had in store for him. “I'll do whatever I need to do to get the Flake, Wonka. You think I got this far without getting my hands dirty?”

With frightened eyes, he tried to force a response, lips trembling. “Whaa…”

“Fool Wonka. You think I'm here by accident? You think what happened to all those kids was by chance? Wrong! Augustus Gloop, Mike Teevee, Beruka, Voilet… I killed all of them, ensuring I could get this close to you.”

His eyes shook as a solemn tear ran down his cheek, “You murderer…” he whispered.

“Bingo, you Fuq. And you'll be numbered among the candy saints too, if you don't give me what I came here for.”

Just then, Wonka's eyes shifted to something behind me. He telegraphed what shouldn't have. We weren't alone anymore. Turning, I saw 3 Oompa-Loompas in full body armor, standing inside of the doorway. The two on either side wielded sharp Samurai swords, and the one in the middle, an MP-5 sub-machine gun. In mid turn, I quickly lifted my pistol and blasted the Oompa on the far right, hitting him between helmet and Kevlar vest, blowing his neck out. The MP-5'er responded by spraying a line of bullets in my direction, which I avoided by jumping to the side, dropping my gun in the process. At this point, Wonka had moved from where he was, to the far corner, rummaging through his desk. I knew what he was trying to do. But my priority lay with dealing with the midgets in my midst. The Oompa with the MP-5 had stopped firing, reloading his gun, struggling with the clip. That was my moment. Just then the remaining swordsman came at me, sword raised, his little legs carrying him quicker than I had expected. His height gave him the advantage to out maneuver me. Once he came in range, I dropped to my knees, and as he thrust his sword at me I let it slide by, avoiding the sword, grabbing his hands and pulling him forward to me. The sword wiggled wildly behind me shoulder, striking my side multiple times with small cuts. I quickly torqued down hard his arms down and he dropped the sword once I had broken BOTH of his arms. Arms broken, and helpless, I lifted him into the air by his throat and launched him at the remaining Oompa, who was just pulling back the action on his gun to start firing again. This stalled him long enough for me to pick up the sword that lay at my side. As the Oompa regained his composure, I hurled the sword at him. The initial shock showed on his face, as the sword went through him and drove him against the wall, pinning him there as if he was a fixture of the room. I watched the light go out of his eyes as he tasted failure and defeat. Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my back. Turning, I saw Wonka leaping back from me, with the look of a frightened coward who had just stabbed a man in the back. I took the object out of my back and examined it. It was a candy cane dagger complete with a handle, hilt and blade; deep red blood was dripping off of the sinister sweet treat as I threw it aside.

“Time to finish this, Wonka.” I said, as I started over to him. When I reached him, I saw in his shaky hand a small, golden tin, with a brown and red label that read “Bob's Chocolate Flake.” I reached down for it, as he cowered against the wall by his desk.

“I'll take that.” I said as he reluctantly loosened his grip on the tin.

“Please… don't…” he stammered.

“It's over, Wonka.” I said as I placed the tin into my pocket. “There's nothing to be said.”

“No… you don't understand!” he pleaded “The world is not ready for this tobacco. Not yet!”

“You can tell that to Slugworth, Wonka.” I said, lifting the barrel of my gun to his head. “In Hell.”

And I pulled the trigger... with that, I opened the tin and took in the aroma. It was fabulous. I stashed one flake away for safe keeping, and if Slugworth had something to say about it, then he could suck my dick. I earned it.

I write this from the Island of the Dominican Republic, where I have chosen to live my life out as a wealthy man in exile for my crimes in the United States. In the end, it was worth it for the money, the fame and the smoke. Good stuff.

Kleidophoros Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kleidophoros (12)

Long thin flakes, a bit wet. Smell in the bag is not chocolate but some cocoa-ish artificial smell.

Got about 50gr bulk, put it in a jar for about 3 months and tried for the first time today.

Rubbed out and loaded a medium sized bent apple. Lights easy, doesn't need many relights, doesn't burn hot or wet. Bites if puffed hard.

I don't get the chocolate, I don't get the latakia. What I get is a musty taste and smell in addition to what must be the lakeland people talk about. I must add this is my first venture into the lakelands and probably the last; for quiet a while at least.

Wife approves the room note though, that's something right?

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Egged on by Jim and Michael the cunning tobacconists of Durham City, England (may they live for ever), I tried this for the thoroughly childish reason that Bob is my forename.

You'd think that a chocolate flavoured tobacco would be pretty dire, wouldn't you? It isn't, though. I like BCF when I'm in a Latakia mood. It's a good quality flake with a pronounced but not overpowering Latakia presence. It's cool and slow-burning and consistent all the way down the bowl: those are the three main things I look for in a tobacco. Fold and stuff or rub it out: it doesn't make much difference, though it is improved by a little drying time. Its sweetness can cloy if you smoke too much of it, but it's all right as a change from the usual run of things. The chocolate flavouring is not all that pronounced, but I suspect this tobacco would be better if the flavouring were left out and a little more Latakia added. Very recommendable, but not, to me, an all day, every day smoke.

Purchased From: Durham Pipe and Tobacco Shop

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake.

J-P Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J-P (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

My first review here, and it's probably all been said already, but here goes nothing eh?

I'm new to all of this pipe malarkey and I've been buying a lot of tobacco recently to try and understand what's available. These range from Holger & Danske aromatics, pure Virginias, V-Pers, some blends from my local tobacconist, Mississippi river, some Balkans and this beast of a blend. All by recommendation - so, thank you for the experience TR.

So, onwards...

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Firstly a warning - don't smoke this fast and don't smoke it wet (I'm new to this, so it was a learning experience). It will taste like crap and numb your tongue... it can smoke hot. I've read in previous reviews that this goes away with age - so I've ordered a pound for jarring and will try after 6 months.

I've tried this straight from the jar, folded and rubbed out until it resembles a fine(ish) shag. I can confirm what other users have said, definitely recommend rubbing this out fully and allowing it to dry a little before filling lightly - this seemed to result in the most pleasant smoke.

Smoked 'properly' this is quite simply some amazing stuff. I could never give this a one star review... though, I can understand why it gets them. It all has to do with the reviewers palate and though I think it's a little unfair to give this one star just because you didn't like the taste, I guess some people seem to think differently. No disrespect, just a differing of opinion. For my palate, this is four star material. I'd recommend at least trying a few bowls slowly.

In comparison to all of the pipe tobacco I've smoked (including some other 4 star blends on here) this is the first one so far that had the reaction of 'oh my, I have GOT to order more of this'.

FLAVOUR/AROMA: The 'lakeland' after-taste is definitely present on the tongue and through the nose, and I'd read of the horror stories some users experience with great interest, and a certain trepidation.

After tasting, I certainly would not refer to this as 'soapy' I don't think that word adequately describes the flavour, which if smoked slowly is actually very pleasant and is mostly of fine quality tobacco with a hint of cocoa. This definitely has a floral after note, evocative of a spring breeze (is that where the soapy reference comes from?) or a hint of pollen. It isn't like lavender or rosewater (both of which I tend to dislike). To enjoy the proper flavour you really do have to smoke this slow... otherwise it becomes a cheap cigar butt quite quickly and will definitely give you some tongue bite.

The smoke texture is dry, smooth smoky cream (again, can get damp if you smoke it too fast). There's a hint of vanilla/cocoa powder and it has a thick and pungent quality to it - the room note is pleasant and inoffensive, no hint of the floral taste remains in the smoke - only a mild cocoa and vanilla mingled with sweet virginia scent.

This tobacco burns all the way through to the bottom of the bowl into an extremely fine light grey ash - and yet, I'm not getting any nasty surprises (like some aromatics I've tried) in my last draws.

The taste through the bowl starts out light to full and slightly floral - it subtly changes about midway to a deeper and creamier smoke with more cocoa. At the mid-way point, I can taste and smell the hint of cocoa but it's definitely more espresso-like and the casings have nearly all burned away, leaving what can only be described as a milky/creamy tobacco flavour. Then at the very end the taste starts to descend toward a stronger nuttier cigar flavour (reminds me of a Cohiba Piramides) until you are left with nothing but that fine grey powder.

This is perfectly accompanied by a cup of freshly ground black coffee - first thing in the morning, or after a meal.

At least that's what I think. The price (in bulk) is great and the jar smells lovely... like old fashioned bitter cocoa powder.

TheJayBee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheJayBee (56)

Where should I start on this?

A friend of mine recommended this tobacco. I was a little bit sceptical about it.

Its smell confirmed my scepticism I thought. Nothing out of the ordinary, very plain, slightly sweet smell. Nothing complex.

But who said good means complex?

Smoking this is a completely different experience. The smoke is cool, fresh, dry (thank goodness), not overwhelmingly sweet, and has more of a cocoa liquor taste which I find so appealing. I find the Virginia taste with the cocoa taste so nice!

I love smoking pipe! So many wonderful tobaccos to experience! I will update this if I find anything different my other briar pipes (I used my small meer for this review).

UPDATE

As expected, the taste on the briar "mellows" the taste even more. And it is excellent as well...

TheBaron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheBaron (2)

I ordered a tin of this in Sept 2009. I opened it and tried a couple bowls. I really did not like the blend. It had a soapy taste. I put in in a jar, cellered it and just tried it again after 3 years...I really enjoy the stuff now...it is a totally different tobacco. Bob's Flake smokes rich, smooth, cool with chocolate overtones. I now understand why ya'll are loving this stuff. There is definitely more Bob's in my future!! Cheers

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (55)

Bought this due primarily to my love of Louisiana Flake as well as reviews here are well as Pipesmokersforum.com. Bought 3 ounces off a freshly opened pound, peeled off in strands due to a slightly moist makeup. Two bowls smoked, minimum drying applied (20 minutes) with mainly flaked strands teased out and wadded into an Aldo Velani billiard reserved for flake Va blends. Good cool smoke with voluminous smoke-kept cool via the Burleys I suppose. Nice mild cocoa thru mid-bowl, some peppery touch, but not like that of Perique. G&H do their baccys "old-school" and it shows, in subtle dependable flakes with nice room notes and mouth feel. A definite for flake lovers, and perhaps a nice entry for aro lovers to expand into Lakeland Flakes.

SmokingMySav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokingMySav (9)
Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Take some Dunhill Night Cap, add some burley for lightness, sprinkle a bit of cacao on it and you have Bob's Chocolate Flake.

This blend could've easily been named "Bob's Flake" and left at that. Once properly dried it smokes like a very light English blend with just a distant undertones of cacao (not chocolate). The latakia is definitely noticeable.

You have to dry this one pretty good. If you don't - you will be welcomed by a bunch of goo (in taste and appearance)in your pipe. It takes a few tries to get the right drying time, but once you do - it's worth it.

Camp Freddie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Camp Freddie (10)

Whereas it's a little disappointing that the chocolate doesn't make its presence in the smoking, in place of that it's filled with other great rich tobacco flavourings and spicy sprinklings. All of which go to make it a great winter smoke. Watch your pacing with this one as there's a bit of an unexpected nic-kick, which can get you in the pants if you're downing it too eagerly.

slowpuffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slowpuffer (1)
Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I purchase this blend in bulk. In the pouch, it has a sweet aroma and I can pick out the scent of semi-sweet chocolate and a little smokiness from the Latakia. In bulk, it is a broken flake and has a nice moisture content. I smoke my tobaccos a bit drier than normal and let it air out for about 5 minutes before packing it in a nice wide bowl. It lights easily and the first flavor to hit the front of my tongue is the sweetness of the Virginias in this blend. I stop puffing for a moment to check out the room note and find that it possesses a very sweet floral scent, not unlike many of G&H's other offerings. I find the aroma very pleasant. After only a couple of minutes the flavor becomes savory. It reminds me of a good cup of coffee. It is semi-sweet with the intermingling of the Virginias and the toppings. I seem to be tasting a bit of the floral note as well which makes it more pleasant. Supposedly, this blend possesses very little Burley, but I distinctly taste the flavor of Burley, to me it tastes of almonds and cedar. The flavor is consistent throughout the bowl and it becomes more enjoyable to me as I sip the smoke out of my pipe. My palate does not seem to pick out the small amount of Latakia in the mixture. The tobacco burns very well, although I prefer to smoke slowly and relight more often than most smokers. After a little over an hour I stir the grey ash in my pipe bowl and find that there is no tobacco left to be smoked.

I highly recommend this blend because I haven't found any blend that is like it. It has a nice, deep complexity and is more savory than sweet. I also love the fact that it has a wonderful aroma which is just as enjoyable to the smoker as it is to his company. I particularly enjoy this with a cup of good coffee. For those that do not like Latakia, I would not let the small presence of that leaf in this blend deter you.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (87)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The flavouring is a little strong initially but the base tobaccos are excellant. I'm not a big aro fan, but this is pretty good and not chemically.

Brekken Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brekken (11)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco started out for me kind of bad, the smell in the tin was delicious but at first it did not translate into good taste in the bowl. After 3 bowls of this i started to taste the delicious chocolate undertones and i liked it! However I did not approve of the taste this gave when blown through the nose. 5 more bowls has passed since then and now i really like every aspect of this tobacco, great taste, easy to prepare, burns nicely, smokes cool and does give me what i need in the N-department. My tin came unsealed but that was probably the sellers fault, it was in perfect smoking moisture. Will be stocking up on this as soon as my favorite retailer have em in again.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (81)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice tobacco. It is a very subdued tobacco, although the name suggests flavorful aromatic, it really is quite subtle and deft in the the flavoring department.

As with most G & H blends this comes a little wet and benefits from some drying time. The cut of the tobacco once fully rubbed out is very fine which makes for a nice easy packing experience. The flavors are very nice but must be coaxed out of hiding. Smoke this too fast and you will get nothing out of it. If you can manage to play peekaboo with that last ember and smoke it slow there is a myriad of flavors and tastes going on. The chocolate thing I am not too sure about. Maybe, but certainly not enough to be titled a chocolate flake. There is definitely some Lakeland goodness here, which I love, but it is not overpowering, in fact, for much of this smoke it goes away all together. Every once in a while you get a subtle hint of the floral. Like getting a whiff off a slight breeze of an Englishman's pipe. Very enjoyable.

The really nice aspect of this blend is its use of latakia. We as pipe smokers are so used to latakia coming straight out of the pipe and announce its presence while thumping its chest. That is not the case here at all. It is in there, but the subtle use and blending technique really makes the flavor profile of the leaf change. It is nice, it gives the tobacco a sort of homey taste. It is very good.

This tobacco is very good, and I recommend everybody try it. You need to smoke this right or it will not deliver. Too fast or hot and your hope of enjoying this blend is lost. I find it smokes best in Meerschaum. Recommended.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Soapy Play-Doh and other things.

Granted British aromatics for the most part are very different than their American Cavendish based cousins.

It seems Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. use the Tonka bean or an extract in many of their offerings and this blend has a lot.

This simply does not leave me wanting for more, in poor form I might add. Drying this does help a some but not nearly enough. I cannot taste dark Chocolate nor Cocoa. Maybe a very slight too slight in fact an occasional hint of vanilla, which likely is coming from the Tonka bean.

Bland, and frankly boring. After this batch is done, I won't be trying anymore for a very long time.

It does pack and burn great, by the pleasure is sadly lacking for me.

barneco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
barneco (6)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Very well balanced, everyday smoke, imho.

Latakia is definitely present, but quite subtle. Same goes for the chocolate flavor. It's certainly there, but in small enough amount to not overwhelm, but merely round out the flavor with a touch of something extra. The chocolate also adds to the perceived body of the smoke, giving it a slight creaminess. It competes with the burley, imho, which tries to thin it out to an extent.

Like other aromatics that I've tried, sipping brings out the best in the flavor. Smoked hotter and fuller, much of the nuance is lost and the burley/virginia dominates, which I don't particularly care for. For me this is best enjoyed as a very pleasant background smoke, not simply savored for its own sake. For this purpose it really shines.

Very wet, for me, straight out of the pouch. Had to relight often(perhaps I just haven't figured out how to pack it yet).

All in all, I really enjoy this blend and will be adding it to my inventory as an everyday smoker. However, when I want to simply sit and enjoy my pipe, I'll likely be reaching for something with a little more depth.

Kin3ticwav Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kin3ticwav (3)

I got this one in last night and just got around to trying this evening. I have to say it wasn't really what I was expecting. The tobacco tastes very good under the strange flavoring and aroma. If smoked patiently there is certainly a light chocolate undertone, but I was distracted from the flavor by the scent of this thing. A pipe smoker can never really appreciate the room note of his own pipe, but upon returning to the room there was a sweet, pleasant aroma in the air. What I smell while smoking is quite different. I read musty somewhere? I would agree. There is kind of an odd Play-Doh quality to it? A very floral incense smell also. Not sure what I think about this one just yet. Probably won't make the favorites list.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a truly unusual flake, and one I enjoy in moderation. The Lakeland essence is there, as is a hint of cocoa, but underneath it all is some very very fine tobacco. It's well worth trying if you are looking for something with a bit of oomph that has some unusual flavors, without being goopy... this blend is well behaved in the pipe.

Oh, the latakia to me is not noticeable, except that it does add a bit of a smokey spicy edge to things, just a tad, so if you buy this expecting a latakia blend with Lakelands, it's not that.

KahveDelisi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KahveDelisi (45)

lakeland fakeland, whatever.. I'm in love with this flake.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

I didn't know what to expect from this tobacco but I ended up liking it quite a bit. Yes, there are distinct floral notes, but I enjoyed it. The aroma was sort of a perfumey chocolate mix, and though I understand this would not be enjoyable to all smokers, it was to me. My only quibble is that this blend could stand to be richer and fuller in taste.

Soli Deo gloria.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (137)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I just can't seem to taste the chocolate in this one. There is a strange taste to it that just does nothing for me. I wanted to like this but there is nothing here that gives it a chance to win me over. YMMV of course. Worth giving it a go though, it is just not for me.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't regret my purchase. But it is strictly an experiment, a bit of fun not to be confused with the serious smokes with which G, H & Co. are usually associated. I am not a fan of flavoured tobacco, or flakes. But variety is the spice of life...

It comes in a plastic bag inside the tin, no doubt to preserve the aromas. The moisture level is perfect. The flakes rub out easily with one hand. The tin aroma is a little chocolate, a little vanilla, a lot of something else. The Latakia is nonexistent. It is a flavoured Burley flake.

It smokes easily, no bite, does not require more than the initial light. The taste is not chocolate, but an artificial floral scent without even a hint of sweetness. I will not finish the tin. A couple of bowls is plenty.

This one is for the lovers of aromatic smokes, but it is a notch above the usual stuff.

boxertwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boxertwin (10)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I have tried a few bowls of this now and I'm not getting it. Not tasting or smelling any chocolate. It does have a musty, moldy quality to it. Other than that, I don't get much more from it. I've tried it packed tight, loose, rubbed out, not rubbed out.....just not getting this one.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

To get the best from these long, scruffy flakes I'd suggest rubbing them out.

As you might expect, if tightly packed, insufficiently rubbed out or aggressively smoked then these flakes are uninspiring. Loose packing and gentle sipping is needed to really being out the chocolate, then it's how I'd imagine a pipe to taste after drinking hot chocolate.

The latakia keeps the tobacco interesting without ever coming to fore (which would probably be a bit weird anyway).

Sold loose, so next time you see them maybe pick up a couple of flakes and give your rotation an occasional kiss of chocolate.

Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

While there was some chocolate in the room notes, what I tasted was a mild version of Lakeland (I expected the mild version of Lakeland florals, I just thought I would taste it mixed with chocolate and vanilla). So, if you like mild florals, you should like this -- the tobacco burnt nicely and cool, quality all around. If you want to experiment with this type of tobacco, this would be a good intro.

Edit: in a cob, the lakeland essence was reduced and some chocolate showed up in the pipe as well as the room note, esp as it burned down past half -- v nice. For me, then, a in the briars, a = in a cob

boogieman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boogieman (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This isn't what I was expecting. Believe it or not, I don't taste chocolate very much. It actually tastes like play-doh more than chocolate. It's a good tobacco, with the burning characteristics of flakes. As far as burning and smoking characteristics, its a 4 star. Flavor, which is important in an aero, it just not doing it for me. It's VERY VERY light chocolate but more play-doh. Flavor takes it down to 2 star.

It's O.K. but I much prefer Two Friends English Chocolate. I wish I had just ordered a second tin of English Chocolate. This is one that will be going to a buddy.

Pip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pip (36)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

I really get the Lakeland floral/soapy taste with this one. The chocolate and vanilla flavorings are very muted in both tin note and within the smoke. The flakes were nice and slightly moist. I did not get any bite at all. The Latakia was also a bit odd tasting. Over all first impression..Just OK. Not a real fan. But I'll try it again and see if I change my mind.

Tiepolo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiepolo (40)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

The combination of chocolate and a smidgen of Latakia in a flake sounded like something extremely promising to me. The flakes are beautifully made, a bit on the wet side, requires a half hour of drying for my taste. The usual method of folding twice works very well, one match light is possible and burns nice and cool with quite some thick smoke all the way. No bite. So far so good. BUT. Where is the complexity, where is the latakia, where is my Virginias? During the first third I talked myself into the assumption that the Lakeland monster would soon disappear, but to no avail. It's just there, all the way to the bottom. So, after my about 40 grams, no more Bob for me. Lakeland lovers, that's for you.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

This would be my second attempt with latakia in a blend and Bob's came reccomended by a few aquaintances. mY FIRST lATAKIA WAS A FLOP. My choice was a poor one as the latakia was too strong.

But this came as a good as any introduction blend to latakia. Well I'm sadly dissapointed.

First off the tin note is nice. The packaging is better than most other flakes in that its wrapped in plastic packaing in the tin. Out of the tin the flake is of good moisture content and reuqires no dry time. In good lighting you can even see what looks like tiny shimmers of sugar crystals. Lights up fine from the get go. Burns perfect with a nice mild to medium volume of smoke.

The Chocolate burley and latakia flavors are evident in the smoke and they work well together. Latakia is neither too strong nor dominant in this blend. Vitamin N is for Nicotene and is present here. But it won't get your hair in a dander either. No room spinning buzz. But my tongue did tingle a bit.

At this point I would give this blend 3 stars (maybe 4) were it not for two very serious short commings that ruin the latakia and nice burley note and I do not see how anyone could enjoy these two elements either.

Soap and Perfume. These come slightly after your light up when you say "hey this ie pretty good stu....woah nelly whats with the Dawn dishwashing liquid flavor?

Lakeland perfumes do not belong in pipe toby. Keep it in yer snuff if you like.......but it just over powers the flavor of everything else thats in toby. I wonder if G&H think lakeland scents don't ghost pipes?

So I'm over powering the stars you think you deserve here....

-1 star for the soap -1 star for the perfume.

A big let down for what could have been a good tobacco.

ADz Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ADz Pipes (6)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

This is an odd one after reading many of the reviews, and there is a lot.....I bought some, from a UK supplier online that I use and after inspecting the flakes the bag odour was not what I expected, but then again the name is a bit off putting...who the heck is Bob anyway?!

But this is how it went - I have tried it in 2 pipes as I find that flakes do give a totally different result in certain pipes, I used Peterson's Arans, I rubbed it out a bit after letting it "air" for 20 mins, packed it VERY carefully - then lighted, blimey it reminded me of very bad sweat in a male changing room, initial burn up is a bit confusing, BUT but but....it CHANGES - after a few mins it was a totally different experience, a perfume was then noticeable, at times I definitely noticed the cocoa/chocolate and it was then a sweeter burn.

Hmmm odd and complex, on the 2nd pipe it was then same - first light was like a bad armpit smell in need of deodorant - then the change and halfway through the perfume and hints of choc, the reviews that hate are pretty harsh its not to everyone's taste and I am not sure if its mine yet, I am an Aro fan - but this is strange, I will continue to persevere with it.

Leaves a pleasant taste on the pallet.

Davie Jones Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davie Jones (61)

Surprisingly, I enjoy this one a lot more than SG Chocolate Flake.

Yes, it has this little soapy aftertaste, but I don't mind, considering this is richer, mellower and tastier than SG.

Also, it does not have the acidic note in the background.

But this is not an aromatic: it is an English blend with "hints" of chocolate, vanilla and coco, thus a very light topping.

CLRV Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CLRV (14)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Love it. First time a tobacco smell has translated (truly) into flavor for me.

Will always have a pound of this around.

Update:

So I've had time to really let this blend sink in. I've smoked well over 1/2 pound in the past month or so and given samples to a few of my close buddies.

This really is a sublime tobacco. From start to finish the experience is quite exquisite.

The pouch aroma is, well, chocolate. Deep rich and dark. It packs well and easily. It's a relatively cool burner, so you can really pack it in there and puff away for hours. I tend to do a combo of fold and stuff topped on the upper third with fully rubbed out. Lets it get really cooking without the risk of overpuffing a straight flake.

The flavor does transfer a huge amount from smell in bag to taste on tongue. Except the smoke itself is far far more complex. If you really sip it it turns almost into a chocolate liquor flavor. I can't really find the vanilla taste, but that may be because chocolate and vanilla are so integral to each other as far as taste components. The lakeland is there, but not in huge quantities. I love lakeland myself, but those who don't will probably not like Bob's.

As an aside, I played mad scientist one day and made up a small batch of 50/50 Bob's Chocolate and Ten Russians. It's actually amazingly good. The heavy latakia upping of Ten Russians turns this from a dessert smoke to a Holy Duo. Almost a coffee and chocolate sensation. Russian Chocolate, Tundra Mocha, whatever.

So, in closing, try this tobacco. You really need to.

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)

A great crossover aromatic blend. Not really an aromatic with plenty of tobacco flavor - a nice chocolate aroma mostly in the unburned form. A dark rich flake that looks good enough to eat!

Let it dry a bit before folding and stuffing or rub out completely - the taste is different depending on the method.

Latakia? Well just a tade, noticable at first but dwendles as it burns. VA all the way and a smooth VA, not tangy.

A good all around smoke.

hawky454 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hawky454 (30)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

To me, the soapy/floral note distracted from the chocolate undertones. Too much going on here, it's overdone and unbalanced. Be careful, this will leave a nasty residual flavor in your pipe that takes several smokes to get rid of.

Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I've read many comparisons between this blen and Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake, but the only similarity I've found is the subtle taste of Latakia in the background and the very mild chocolate flavoring. Other than that, Bob's Chocolate Flake share the soapy taste with most Lakelands tobaccos, while there's none of that in SG's product, where the Virginias are less "processed".

Which one I prefer? Depends on the moment. Bob's when I'm in the mood for Lakelands, SG's when I'd rather have an "American English". They're both great tobaccos.

Carlyle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Carlyle (2)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I first tried this tobacco about twenty years ago, as a transition away from the syrupy, burley-based aromatics that I was buying in bulk as a novice pipe smoker. Since that time, I have sampled a wide array of traditional Virginia and English tobaccos, many of them recommended as four star choices on this site. I came back to BCF in a moment of nostalgia, and I think it holds up to those highly recommended tobaccos remarkably well.

Granted, BCF does have a strange flavor profile, which some have described as confused or muddled. I can see why, though I think that the layering of flavors works to produce a really unique smoke. If you have zero tolerance for the Lakeland floral elements, then avoid this flake because the Lakeland notes are certainly there, particularly at the bowl's beginning. Words like "perfumy" and "soapy" overstate the case in my opinion. Once the bowl gets burning, the florals sweeten the smoke, but I don't think they dominate the experience.

In fact, I've found that I can choose to ignore them, if I like; and really, that's true of the other constituent tobaccos/flavors in this blend. Sweet Virginia is always undeniably present, but I find that I can taste a really remarkable range of flavors if I am mindful of the smoke.

I think this a great tobacco for aromatic smokers who want to transition into better quality tobaccos that still retain a sense of aromatic sweetness. Virginia lovers will not be disappointed, given the forward presence of those flavors throughout the smoke. Even those preferential to the latakia English blends will find enough smokiness here to satisfy.

I'd recommend drying the tobacco thoroughly to balance the flavors. It seems to mute the floral notes and brings them into parity with the other flavors.

Smokes best in meerschaum.

JLong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JLong (35)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I like this tobacco. It is spicy with a chocolatey tang and some floral sweetness to it. I let it dry out over night and plug a medium size billard after some rubbing out and folding of the flakes. I think I like SG Chocolate flake a tad better but it really depends on what my palette is in the mood for.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I, too, struggled with this blend. Trying to do too much is often not a good thing, and I can only categorize this tobacco as an attempt to bridge smokers of widely varying tobacco styles. The latakia was unnecessary but what I found the most offputting was the Lakeland florals. Sorry to be so trite but it tasted like soap to me for the first third of the bowl - like I had sucked on a dryer sheet.

I got the strong impression that without the florals and the latakia, this would be a very strong offering from G&H. But then it wouldn't be Bob's Chocolate Flake, would it?

All in all, I found this to be a blend of high quality tobaccos blended to a somewhat tragic end. It's something I think most people should try, however, as there seems to be differing opinions - and strong ones on both sides.

ProfessorShak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ProfessorShak (7)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is supposed to be an aromatic but to me, the latakia throws it off. It's like putting BBQ sauce on, well a chocalate cake. Even a touch ruins the experience, and to me the experience wasn't that pleasant at all and I gave it a couple of tries. I ended up giving the rest away. Others may like it, but I like aromatics as much as I like english/balkan/oriental blends and I feel that an aromatic should be without latakia, even if it's a pinch.

JohnnyD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyD (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Bob's Chocolate Flake is a phenomenal tobacco. To my taste, the constituent tobaccos are as present in the overall flavor as are the chocolate, vanilla and floral natural casings. However, the floral component (what some refer to as soapy) is more pronounced for the first few puffs. The natural sweetness of the Virginia comes through as well, especially with aging. The more you let BCF age, it takes on a very nice leathery taste. I can also detect the smokiness of the 8% Latakia, but it is as subtle as the other flavors in the blend. These components all combine to form a rich, spicy, semi-sweet smoke with a room note that those around me like.

I've been smoking Bob's Chocolate Flake for about 12 years. In the past I mostly smoked heavy Latakia English blends. However, I tried BCF because I wanted a blend that smelled pleasing to the non-smokers around me and still had a substantial tobacco flavor. For the last 4 years BCF has been my mainstay blend and I smoke it almost exclusively. However, my initial experience was with BCF was pretty inconsistent. Sometimes it seemed to be a terrific smoke and at other times it was just harsh and horrible. I think that I've experienced just about every positive and negative characteristic mentioned in previous reviews. However, over the years I learned how to prepare and smoke BCF in a way that works for me. I think there are 3 critical factors that bring the most out of BCF: Packing, Puffing, and Patience.

I've experimented with lots of methods for packing BCF. These include rubbing out the flake to varying degrees, chopping the flake into small squares, as well as folding and stuffing the whole flake into the bowl. However, there is yet another quick and easy method that really makes BCF sing. I take a whole flake and fold it long-ways 3 or 4 times on itself so that the flake is folded into a skinner and thicker strip that is the same length that you started with. Then I put one end of the folded strip into my pipe bowl and use my thumb and forefinger to measure the length slightly shorter than the depth of the bowl. I tear off the end of the strip at this measurement and lay that piece onto the remaining strip and tear off another section to the same length and repeat until I get to the end of the strip. I usually get about 3 of these smaller lengths out of a single 6-inch flake. Then I place the smaller strips together as a bundle into the bowl so that the smaller lengths are standing straight up next to each other in the bowl. You want a loose fit, so just remove 1 or 2 of the strips of flake if the bundle is too tight in the bowl. This allows you to experience the benefits of the flake (dense, full flavor) while allowing sufficient air flow in the bowl. It takes a lot of words to explain this method, but once you try it I think you will find it straightforward, quick and easy.

As far as puffing goes, you just want to avoid smoking too fast and getting the bowl too hot. Some blends are pretty forgiving when smoked hot, but not BCF. When BFC gets too hot it can change from a wonderful smoke to nasty and bitter tasting.

I mention patience for a couple of reasons. First, I have found that BCF mellows and changes remarkably with at least 6-months of aging. Frankly, fresh BCF right out of the box can be quite harsh. Since BCF is comprised mostly of Virginia tobacco, it ages wonderfully. I usually try to smoke BCF that has aged for at least a year. I have smoked 4-year aged BCF that was just fantastic. I buy BCF in the 500 gm bulk packages (about half the price of the tinned packaging) and simply place it in a glass, clamp-top jar with a rubber seal. I like the tall 2-liter size jars since the long 6-inch flakes can simply be stood on end, intact, in the jar. You can also use tall ring-top Ball jars. This preserves the integrity of the flakes so that you can use the packing method described above.

A final note regarding patience is that you will find that there will be a slight variance from batch to batch in the flavor, thickness of the flakes, strength, etc. However, the differences are small and, for me at least, serve to keep BCF an interesting blend to smoke.

Bob's Chocolate Flake is a blend that you should try at least once. If you've tried it in the past and found it disappointing, then I would encourage you let some age for a few months and give it another go using the packing technique described above - you might be pleasantly surprised.

augiegus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
augiegus (48)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I found this all black tobacco very agreeable to my tastes. I am a rather lazy fellow so rubbed out my entire bulk purchase at one sitting and bagged it for later smokes. I loaded my rubbed out flake and hit it with the match. I tasted lakeland floral flavors and sorta did not care for it in this blend, but with time (not much) they went away and the chocolate/tobacco flavor came through. I found this to continue though the entire bowl and gave a comforting relaxing feel to my smoke. It never burns my mouth and behaves well all the way to the bottom of the bowl. I did not notice the latakia which is sorta good thing for me and left me wondering how do they do that? I suppose this is not their first attempt at blending.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This bulk flake, you can fold it or just wad it up. A little loose kindling on top and it lights very easily and burns like a charm. I think I prefer it like that rather than rubbing it out. It burns cool as bare feet on a concrete floor. A chocolate note is unmistakable at first then takes a back seat. From that point on it gets very interesting. Baby powder, incense, all those things that others loathe about this flake are present, but to me not overpowering or dominating. I don't think powder or incense describe what I taste, but other words don't come to mind right now. The tobaccos are all there, the VA, the Burley, and the Latakia. There are aromas, but I don't think this smokes like an aromatic. I say brilliant!

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing BCF to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

beaupipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beaupipe (100)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been struggling with this blend for a few weeks now, trying to like it as much as some others seem to be able to do. The tin looks great and the little flake-filled baggie inside has a sublime, gentle, almost otherworldly cocoa aroma. There's something else there, too--a subtle kirsch-like quality hovering in the background. It reminds me of the smell of one of those oddly-shaped Lowney's Cherry Blossoms fresh out of the little box before you bite into it and release the sloppy red-dye-number-4-infused maraschino in the middle. All of that had my nostalgic heart pitter-pattering like a kid's on Christmas morning.

In the pipe, however, that signature Lakeland soap comes out way too aggressively for my tastes. And instead of a happy kid with Cherry Blossom on his face, I'm a broken kid with a bar of soap in his mouth who just got caught saying f@#k. And worse, the kid realizes that his mother can still kick his ass.

None of this is designed to impugn the tobacco, which I think is first rate. Increasingly I think that the Lakeland scent is one of those geographical signatures like Islay peat or Burgundian rabbit poop that some love and some shy away from. Frankly, I admire the Lakeland products for their consistency and uniqueness.

I find, however, that a little of Bob's Chocolate Flake goes a long way. It is a superb blender (thus spake the heretic) with Virginia and Perique and I've found that I'm slowly whittling away at those pretty brown flakes by blending them with equal parts Hal O' the Wynd and McLelland Perique. It's like chocolate covered figs dipped in honey.

I call it "Bob and Henry's Chocklique Flake."

Then again, I am a bit of a goof.

Setting personal taste aside, I think it's a solid tobacco.

Update:

I'm not normally inclined to update reviews (or to change my old fuddy-duddy mind for that matter) but I have to confess that BCF has managed to grow on me to the point that I reach for it almost daily. Maybe I've just gotten used to the Lakeland scent, or maybe the scent has dissipated some from the open tin. Doesn't matter. I'm not changing the number of stars, but I did want to tell the moral of this story: give BCF a chance. You might not like it at first, but if you step back and give it some time, you might find that you find something worthwhile in it after all. Some tobaccos are like workplace romances.

Pipe-arazzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-arazzo (71)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Lakeland Tour Stop 13

Like Best Brown #2, this came in flakes of a more consistent thickness and of a more crumbly feel than Sam Gawith flakes. I like BB2 better when it was first opened; the opposite is true with Bob's. The smoke was more "soapy" at first but got better later on.

As with SG Chocolate flake, which I will review soon, I noticed very little to no latakia or chocolate flavor here. Had this been a blind taste testing I would likely not have mentioned chocolate or latakia. It just seemed like a medium-strength, slightly Lakeland-scented virginia. Not bad...I enjoyed it but not enough to bring me back later. I preferred the Sam Gawith version.

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (72)

Bob's Chocolate flake IMO is much like SG chocolate flake in that there does not seem to be much chocolate aroma and/or topping. They both seem to arive at their chocolate flavor in a subtle manor through the blend of tobacco's and they both seem to have a mild Latakia tin aroma. Bob's is a little sweeter and has a little more chocolate flavor, but once again, very subtle. Bob's does come a little wet and should be dried out a little. All in all it is a smooth and tasty smoke. 3.5 stars.

If its a big hit of chocolate you want, you will have to go to MacBaren and try their "Honey & Chocolate". Hello Hershey's !

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (73)
Mild Medium Medium Tolerable

Bob's Chocolate Flake is one of the few Lakeland flakes that I can't tolerate. Quality tobacco (G & H is always top notch) but the flavorings just don't do it. Somewhat recommended but for me, it's NO to BCF.

waggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
waggy (3)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

First is a light incense-like taste of latakia with a slight cocoa flavor growing beneath it. Then comes a mushroom-like sweet mustiness hinting at the characteristic quality of Shortcut to Mushrooms, a blend made by Just for Him, and as that blend does, Bob's Chocolate Flake tends to make me hungry. If this tobacco has a place, it might be as a smoke after a heavy dinner to stimulate the appetite for dessert.

In the second third, the three flavors merge, the latakia loses some of its sandalwood character, and the smoke tastes more like spiced dark chocolate. However, at least for me, the latakia keeps it from tasting really good with coffee until the last third.

By the last third, the flavor is a nice rounded very mildly flavored English blend, and the aftertaste of smoking a bowl of this blend is delicious. But for me, the first two thirds make it somewhat difficult to get there.

This dense speckled dark brown long flake smokes cool and dry, the smoke produced being of medium strength with good body.

This review was made possible by generous samples from pipesandcigars.com of both this blend and Samuel Gawith's Chocolate Flake, both smoked in a few different pipes. For its better balance, I prefer this blend.

jankoez Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jankoez (67)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Sometimes I buy new blend guided by recommendation of other pipe smokers, sometimes by others' reviews and sometimes by sellers' description. I bought this blend attracted by seller's description.

The combination of Latakia and chocolate flavouring I found very odd so I was thrilled to try it. On my surprise, BCF showed itself as very well balanced blend enough strong in smoking characteristics and without prevailing aroma which could cause headache.

Definitely this tobacco is worth to try and to be included in regular rotation of pipe smoking.

JC Foote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JC Foote (10)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I must disagree with Mr. MozzMann a few posts below. My friend Chuck Sassan and I regularly enjoy this blend with a fine cup of java. We have not noticed that the this blend infuses our fine briars. The smoke it tasty, cool and is very easy to light. 3 stars. Pick up a tin and give it a go yourself.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)

This is some goofy stuff, but I like it. I really, really like it. In small doses.

I bought in bulk and am impressed by the thin cut of the slices and the ease to rub out completely to near shag strands. The Latakia helps keep this from becoming a confection instead of a pipe tobacco. The flavorings are of good quality and applied with a gentle hand...no goop in this one.

Packs and lights with the greatest of ease and stays lit. It does leave its ghost in the wood, so I dedicate a few medium size classic shapes to this flake exclusively.

In the colder times I like to sip a high quality dark hot chocolate liberally spiked with Rumpleminze schnapps...sort of a sweet "fire and ice" combo.

Lord Byron Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lord Byron (11)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have wanted to review BCF since I first tried it over two years ago. It is truly a unique flake and an excellent example of G&H?s creativity and expert blending. A lot has already been said about this flake and I will admit it has its pros and cons but I have kept this in my rotation mainly because there is so much to experience when you smoke this flake.

First of all smell it?for awhile?.Then there is the medicinal like floral aroma that is present at the match which you did not smell and what others describe as a soapy taste. It is an acquired taste to be certain (as is Samuel Adams lager which I also appreciate on occasion). This is then combined with a strong vanilla taste with cocoa in the background. What makes this so amazing (as if this is not enough) is that there is wonderful hay like Virginia underneath all of this that flirts with a subdued smoky Latakia aroma. Your mouth should be watering. Simply remarkable.

To some this sounds overwhelming and to some it just might be. It all comes together quite nicely and is comparable to nothing else. G&H has managed to ?blend? all of these wonderful tastes and aromas together making BCF a contemplative smoking experience. I guess this is what I appreciate about it the most. It is serious when it needs to be and not so much when it doesn?t.

BCF does come very moist and needs considerable drying time. The moisture can wreak havoc on the roof of your mouth if you are not patient. Steamed gums are not cool.

And one last thing about BCF, it is an aromatic tobacco in the sense that it produces a very alluring room note but I would not agree it is such as far as taste. It is a heavily scented virginia flake in the traditional British style and a superb one at that (it has chocolate). This tobacco has a lot of character and should be given some attention to be fully appreciated. It will be well worth the effort.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one of my first sampleings from G.H.& Co. Being a lover of Virginia blends, I had to give this one a try.....glad I did. For years I mostly smoked Latakia blends, and eventually fell out of love with them. Recently I have mostly been on the Virginia hiway. This blend bridges the two worlds nicely. While BCF is a Va. blend for sure. the 8% latakia addition only gives a nice flavor to this blend,. The Va. sweetness is still the "main character". After the usual drying, I find this flake is best rubbed out. Packing, lighting and burn are excelant. Nice lightly sweet taste.... stays lit,dry bowl, complete burn. I can find nothing bad to say about this blend. It may work it's way into my daily rotation, but for now, due to all of the great blends, it will be an occasional treat. Rated *

smokinj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokinj (19)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Has a perfume taste to me,but the nicotine kick is very good!

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This one has been reviewed plenty of times already, so I'll keep this short.

The bottom line is that I enjoy this tobac, but not as much as I enjoy Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake.

Bob's is a very well behaved offering and it has that trademark Lakeland flavor not found in the Samuel Gawith offering. Most seem to experience the Lakeland essence as soapy and/or floral, and I certainly can see their point, but I experience it as an astringency that approaches bitterness. It plays very well indeed with the cocoa and vanilla flavorings of Bob's.

There are some great tobacco flavors here, too, and they are well-blended enough that picking out one particular leaf isn't something I can do with ease.

Virginia lovers will find Bob's a pleasant experience. Aromatic smokers may have an eye-opening experience, particularly if they are used to the more heavily-cased, goopy offerings. English/Balkan smokers will find this a nice change of pace, especially if they are of that ilk that can pick out the Latakia in this blend.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This blend is my favorite of Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. It is the only one worth the exorbitant price they charge for a bulk tobacco. Normally I do not like food flavored tobaccos especially when they are paired with latakia. This blend smokes very smoothly and has just enough chocolate taste to be a great anytime smoke. I like it because I can get a latakia fix and not have my wife complain about the smell. I also like the fact that the casing does not ruin the balance of tobacco. Overall this tobacco is the best blend of aromatic/english on the market, but would still take a straight English any day of the week.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

This is one of those tins I picked up on a whim at Leesburg Pipe & Cigar a few weeks back. At first, I wasn't impressed. After giving the blend a little time to breathe at room humidity the overall profile of the flake was much more balanced and gentle. The tin aroma is simply delightful as it doen't smell like candy, but rather rich tobacco. It reminds me of when the farmers in my home town would still grow tobacco as their main crop and in the fall would hang stakes in the barns with the slats pulled open. The air would be filled with the sweet smell of whole leaf Virginia....but I digress.

I prefer to smoke this in a half bent cheapie meer I picked up on ebay for next to nothing. My wife actually likes to rub it out and have it rolled in a cigarette from time to time. I will buy this again and make sure to have it on hand. Its mild nature lends it to having its own pipe as residual flavors from other tabacs will hide the glory that is Bob's.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I keep trying to get past this damned perfume that has been liberally dumped on Bob's Chocolate Flake because the underlying tobacco and cocoa/chocolate flavoring is really good. This weed smells like a cheap whore when you light it.

Unlike SG Chocolate Flake, I can actually taste the chocolate in this one.

Why anyone would ruin a perfectly fine tobacco by dousing it in perfume is beyond me. An unscented version of this one would be awesome. Hint...hint.

dudesmith77 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dudesmith77 (3)
Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Who cares if it's only 8% latakia - it's the only blend with wich I can get my latakia fix indoors without being served with divorce papers. It does have a bit of that soapiness/floralness or whatever you want to call it typical of these lake disrict flakes but it's held in check by the chocolate and vanilla flavoring. And you actually can notice the influence of the latakia in the blend while your wife can not! That alone makes this stuff worth 5 outta 4 stars... When I smoke this the chocovanilla flavoring doesn't fade in and out as some others noted - it's pretty constant to me. Still, it's among my favorite dozen blends or so, and the only really strongly "flavored" one among those... Blowing smoke rings, Chad

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

Though I would highly recommend this flake, I cannot honestly say that it is one that I would go out of my way to find. It packs nicely, lights with only a little effort, and burns cool and slow.

The description says it is only 8% latakia, but that little bit does come through. I was a little surprised that the latakia stayed stronger than the chocolate taste (taste-not 'flavor'). The flake really isn't too sweet, just mild stoved va. sweetness comes through. The chocolate is more present in the tin aroma than it is in the flavor, but it is ever present in the background, lurking around at the back of the tongue.

I can't say that I was disappointed, but then I wasn't really surprised either. As I said, it is very good tobacco; a mild English aromatic that should absolutely please aromaphiles in search of a more natural tasting tobacco.

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Know going into this review that I primarily favor Balkan, English, and matured Virginia blends. I only try the occasional aromatic, and I do not go in for the heavily cased varieties. Having said that, though, Bob's Chocolate Flake might find a regular place in my rotation.

This is the thinnest flake I've ever seen, which tears up quite nicely into thin strands of Virginia, burley, and -- in minute quantities -- latakia. Despite the percentages noted in the description at the top of this page, latakia is virtually impossible to distinguish in the blend, while the nuttiness of the burley frequently comes to the fore. Amazing, considering the percentages of burley and latakia are so close (10% and 8%, respectively).

As many reviewers have noted, this is a Lake District (also known as "Lakeland") blend, and as such it does have a slight perfumey/flowery topping. However, this slips away after the third or fourth puff, blending perfectly -- at least to my palate -- with the light dusting of cocoa flavoring that lasts for the entire length of the bowl. The cocoa and vanilla are modest, but always discernible. There is nothing wet or gloopy or sweet about this blend, however. It burns beautifully and is a very enjoyable smoke.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)

Simply put, this is perfect in a large bowl with a cup of coffee. Another great blend from G&H!

Felix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Felix (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I tried a pipe full of this at my local tobacconist's and it was intriguing enough to buy a tin. First, the tin I purchased was exactly the correct moisture level (contrary to some reports further down) and I've found it will easily burn to the bottom of the bowl with one charring light followed by a robust light after tamping. All I needed to do was to continue tamping occasionally as it burned in the bowl...down to a nice nice fluffy-gray ash. An easy tobacco to smoke!

The 1/2" flakes are easily manageable and require very little rubbing out...in fact, it can be smoked without any rubbing at all if you desire. At first I thought I got shorted on the 50gm because the tin was far from being full but it's packed quite densely. Still, you get less pipes full than from something like, say, G&H's American Delight, which hardly rises above a beginner's blend, IMO.

Now to the flavor. The Latakia proportion of the blend is just ideal in my opinion...provides a pleasing flavor and a cool smoke with no bite but without the heavy Latakia taste that's present in tobaccos with a larger percentage of it. The aromatic cocoa and vanilla taste overtones are quite prominent during the first half dozen puffs but quickly dissipate.

I think Runestone nailed it when he said "Bob?s is likely to find much broader appeal with Virginia and Virginia/Perique flake smokers or those who simply dislike the sometimes over-powering nature of heavy blends."

I like Bob's and will buy more.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

A 'lakeflake' that, instead of demonstrating just the standard lake district soapy, floral flavor, tastes instead like grandma made a flourless chocolate cake and accidentally spilt a little of her grandma perfume into the cake in the process.

And somehow despite this, it's really quite good.

In particular, while the floral base is clearly present, there's also a light casing that seems to bring out chocolate elements in the tobaccos rather than simply adhering to the leaf and becoming overwhelming and harsh. The taste led me to believe that there was more burley here than advertised; either way, Bob's offers subtle, toasty chocolate flavor in sturdy, well-constructed flakes. As with all GH flakes, significant drying time prior to smoking is essential here.

Allen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Allen (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Flakes are wonderful things. My suggestion is to fill your pipe with unrubbed flake. Once lit, they'll stay lit for quite a while, and the flavor can be savored well in slow smooth puffs.

Bob's Chocolate Flake is a wonderful and surprising aromatic flake. My first opinions of this flake left me wondering how they put the dark-chocolate I ate 2 days ago in my pipe! A wonderful cocoa aroma will greet you upon opening this tobacco, and will hang in the room to tempt all who don't smoke to pick up a pipe. For the smoker of this fine flake, a sweet marry of flavors will meet your palate... woodsy and sweet with a hint of tonguin at times will help you to catch the taste of chocolate in the air. After trying a few other chocolate blends, not liking them due to their lack-luster taste, I have to admit, this flake may have to stay around in my cellar for a while. This is my new on the town smoke when I wish to pardon those around me from my latakia addiction.

A wonderful blend you should try! Don't be put off by the aromatic designation. This blend really is quite different from most aromatics and quite wonderful.

[small note about the soapy-taste. I actually didn't find it to be a soapy taste, I found it to be a soapy smell when whiffed very strongly into the nose. If you're light with your puffing and don't smoke through your nostrils, you'll most likely miss the soapiness...at least IMO.]

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Despite the fact that they are my least reached for tobacco genre, I maintain some fascination with the lakeland style blends. If nothing else, for their sense of rich history and a point of tasting reference.

This particular tobacco provides a deep richness and unique taste which should be experienced if you are even a little bit curious. I agree with most of the reviewers so far - including both the positive and negative attributes ascribed to the tobacco. It is a bit floral tasting beneath the chocolate topping. A rather deep rose flavor peeks through. The latakia seems there more in texture than flavor.

The most prominent taste I believe is that of strong VA tobacco of the highest quality. It burns amazingly cool and thoroughly.

A solid tobacco which can be perfect for those with a sweet tooth. However do be warned: the signature "soapy" flavor is there and does creep in alongside the rich cake like notes. It would definitely be a winter tobacco for me, and probably one for late in the evening.

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

For a decidedly non-aromatic smoker, this is one tasty treat. A warming and deliciously tasty smoke from start to finish. This was one of the first tobaccos I smoked, and was my favorite at that early time in my smoking history. A dark flake that smells more potent than it tastes, but maintains just the right flavor which doesn't overwhelm the tobacco leaf. This is good after a large meal with a hot cup of dark coffee and a roaring fire on a cold winter evening.

Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have a tin of this I bought after reading quite a lot of positive reviews. So far it has not been near the top of my "greatest hits" list. Time will tell though and to be fair, I will revise or update this review at a later date. I did not find much tobacco taste in Bobs' chocolate flake. I will try some more pipes and rubbing out methods. Tasty, but just chocolate.

Stormrider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stormrider (14)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I had high hopes for this one since I like Full Virginia Flake, and was hoping for a more rounded flavor with a little chocolate and more complexity. At first upon opening the tin, the combination of chocolate and Latakia smelled like chocolate covered horse manure, and the flavor of the smoke followed suit. Tried it again a couple of weeks later, and something was different. Perhaps my taste buds had changed (maybe even slightly scorched, who knows?), maybe the tin had aired out a little since being opened, and maybe my taste itself had changed since I had been smoking Squadron Leader quite a bit, but I have come to appreciate Latakia in reasonable amounts for its cool, rich, smoky quality, and though BCF is neither my favorite nor my everyday smoke, it's pleasant on oaccasion after a meal.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I like G & H tobaccos so when I tried this I was not surprised to enjoy this. This is a rather odd aromatic in that the chocolate overtones are detectable as well as the floral overtones that are famous in the lake district tobaccos. Like most of the other reviewers I did not detect the latakia componant although I am sure that the latakia adds to the overall effect of the flavors in this blend. As with all G & H blends the tobacco used is of the highest quality. This burns clean and cool and is quite full of flavor. If you enjoy lake district tobaccos you will probably enjoy this. I would give this the highest rating except for I like this as more of a desert type tobacco and the taste is not suitable for me on a regular basis.

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Another of my favorites. On first examination this blend reminds me of sliced bacon. The pre-smoke aroma is very rich ... sweet, aged Virginia with some mild smokiness. You can either rub this out or just cut some and roll it into your pipe. The cocoa flavors are evident while smoking, but very muted. This burns very well, but can get hot if you go too fast. No gurgles or bite. Highly recommended.

Bobbior5907 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bobbior5907 (24)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

An excellent semi-aromatic, semi-sweet dark blend;dense and sufficiently moist. It's like smoking a cup of espresso. I find it more like coffee than chocolate, though the cocoa and coffee plants are related and neither is sweet without the addition of sugar. I find this tobacco reasonably easy to light and keep lit and I think those who have difficulty in this regard may be attempting to smoke a dense, moist flake in a pipe with inadequate draw. One Mr. Rick Newcombe has published articles arguing that many, if not most, pipes have inadequate draw which contributes to tongue bite, bitterness, and overall frustration (read Mr. Newcombe's book, "In Search of Pipe Dreams"). Also, I note one of the previous reviewers indicated that he cut up "Bob's Chocolate" with scissors in order to pack it more easily. No need! Gawith & Hoggarth has already thought of that and it comes in the form of "Bob's Square Cut", reviewed elsewhere. I give "Bob's Chocolate Flake" a grade of "B+".

lvnvbiker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lvnvbiker (15)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have smoked about 2oz of this in 2 weeks and find it to be a joy! I got this on recomendation from a bunch of friends, and am glad I did. The flavor is very pleasant and slightly of clove to my taster. The latakia drifts in and out and it is not a biter at all. The room note is very nice according to the wife, so if you are looking for a change I'd say this is a good one..

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I am really beginning to enjoy these old-fangled english flakes! Bob's is not one of my favorites but is clearly good quality tabak, and worth having in ye olde virginia line-up.

I am a latakia-lover foremost, but had a hard time finding my favorite weed in this blend. I guess that 8% is not enough to surpass my latakia-detection threshold. Near the end of the bowl, I detect a hint of the stuff, but as the blend in general builds in dark flavor near the bottom, it is hard to say just what the dominant player is. That is OK though, as this blend stand well on it's own w/o a strong latakia kick.

I first smoked this in a small-bowled meerschaum that I have dedicated to scented english flakes (vs. aromatics), and thought I detected a slight floral soapiness in BCF. In a briar dedicated to straight Vas. and Va/Ps though, I did not taste this at all.

I would have a hard time really classifying this as a "scented flake" as the chocolate aroma is so subtle. I also found this to burn a bit hot as well, especially in the middle third of the bowl. It is the last third that keeps me coming back for more.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Simply put, this tobacco is very tasty and very unique. An old-school offering which comes in larger flakes which are dark with specks of light tobacco. The tin arome is slightly (not overwhelmingly) sweet, with a base of pressed/steamed English VAs (not McLelland). A bit moist but will rub-out easily.

The taste is very much Gawith, with an under current similar to their Brown Flake. Rich and dark with billows of smoke. Although advertised as having Latakia, this is by no means a Latakia blend. Hints of Latakia smokiness and body, but if you are not a Latakia fan, you should still be ok here. Kind of like adding backbone, but no more. Slightly sweet, but not a modern aromatic by any means. Moderately strong with a bit of a nicotine kick.

All in all a hard tobacco to describe. Very unique. If you like the old-fashioned pressed tobaccos (Gawith, S. Gawith, Esoterica's Penzance, etc), you should try this. One of a kind. I really enjoyed this tobacco.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)

I must say that it was with some trepidation that I approached this highly regarded blend. I'm a dedicated Virginia Va/Perique smoker, enjoying the occasional cross-over (a la Haddo's Delight), but generally avoiding heavily scented or aromatic blends. I was pleasantly surprised and, though this won't be an all the time smoke for me, I have been enjoying a bowl occasionally.

The tin nose is what almost turned me off. Many of the Gawith, Hoggarth and Co. flakes are heavily scented-- to the point of distraction in many cases. Mixing tobacco and aftershave is not usually my idea of a great smoke, but I figured one of the less noxious smelling (and most highly thought of) blends would warrant at least a bowl or two.

With components ranging from light tan to dark brown, the mottled flake is beautiful. I've thought this of many of the Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. blends-- they are pretty, no?

It burns evenly and cleanly for me, to a mostly white/light gray ash. Lighting was no problem. I am fairly diligent about breaking up flakes before I smoke them and the moisture content was about right (pretty much directly out of the original packaging). It stayed lit with few relights-- overall I'm impressed by the burning properties.

To me at least, I find the perfumy, flowery scent to recede as I smoke the bowl. Though it's strong upon first light, it seems to burn off some. The chocolate and vanilla flavors remain with it through the bowl and are (surprisingly) appealing.

I don't find that the flavorings overwhelm the blend. The underlying Virginias still make themselves known and the latakia, while not always at the forefront, seems to round out the flavor some.

All in all, I've been surprised and delighted at how much I enjoy this. It won't supplant my very favorite blends, but it will certainly serve as a very nice change of pace.

GoldEmber Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GoldEmber (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am new to pipe smoking. Several years ago I smoked drug-store tobaccos with mild interest, and someone recommended this one to me. I am highly impressed with the flavor of this blend! I smoke it every evening now. I'll never use ordinary tobacco store tobacco again!

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

After hearing a few of the Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club members extoll the virtue of this blend I decided to pick up a few ounces to try. I rolled several flakes and slid them into a large full-bent. After rubbing-out half a piece of flake to place on the top, the lighting commenced. I found it easy to light, without a relight needed. It burned to a dark/light-grey ash.

Mmmm, a very tasty, smooth blend, with a deeply satisfying, slight sweet flavor. The latakia holds it's own but never in an overpowering manner. As with all their blends, the quality of the tobacco is superb. This blend is definitely not like most of the "flavored" blends out there on the market, Gawith uses the flavors to accentuate the high quality tobacco-not over power it.

The taste remained consistent throughout the run of the bowl. This blend will definitely make it to my regular rotation.

JB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JB (40)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Interesting reading all of the reviews on this site related to BCF. First of all, my aromatic smoking days are long behind me. However, this blend, and Rum Flake have taught me that there are a few credible aromatics out there. BCF is a wonderful pressed tobacco with just a hint of chocolate/vanilla in the bag scent. When you light it up, none of the toping comes through. What does come through is that wonderful G&H virginia blend goodness. I found this blend to be very approachable and while not an "exciting" blend, it is quite tasty when you're looking for a comfortable tobacco without a lot of zing.

As one who generally smokes Latakia dominated blends and who recently has been exploring the Virginia geography, the name for this blend intrigued me enough to try it. I purchased it in bulk and the strips were long! My local tobacconist cut them with scissors! The stips rubbed out easily and packed well in my Peterson XL-90 dedicated to Virginia blends.At first light I get a floral aroma, not chocolate at all, after the re-light the same delightful floral aroma begins to awaken with the chocolate undertones. About mid-bowl, it settles into a wonderful chorus of flavor that is not overpowering and is really enjoyable! At the end of the bowl, the flavor does get a little bit stronger but not by much and also gets a little nuttier, (probably the latakia). Overall, this blend is a good, medium strength virginia with the chocolate flavor put in at at just the right amount. Definitely recommended!

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I like Bob's but not for any of the reasons I thought I might: I didn't find it overly chocolatey, so it doesn't fulfill an aromatic urge, and the latakia is so subtle that I can hardly consider it a latakia blend either. Yes, there is sort of a chocolate note to it; there's a touch of the classic G&H floral nose to it; the latakia does provide a nice smoky background...but I suppose I like it because I think of it primarily as a Va flake, and an excellent one, with some very skillfully executed twists and turns that make the smoking of it quite interesting indeed. At the right moisture level (for me, on the dry side) Bob's will rub or stuff just fine and relights won't be an issue. Lastly, Bob's is strong. Consider yourself warned!

Rev. Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rev. Smoke (18)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium Pleasant

I am not a fan of aromatics, and so, to buy a blend with the word 'chocolate' in the name just seemed to be begging the question. Well, we all make mistakes. Mine was in not trying this earlier when I had opportunity.

I haven't smoked enough of it to know whether or not it will flavor a bowl beyond recognition, but I am guessing it will not. The flavorings are very, very, subdued. They are subtle in the pouch, a ethereal mist on the palate, and a faint fragrance in the room. Well-done!

I ordered this without realizing there was any Latakia in it. It was a pleasant surprise, as I like Latakia. It is very well done in this blend.

While I cannot afford this on a regular basis, if I could...

I smoke it on occasion, but I highly recommend it. 4 out of 5 halos.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)

A good crossover tobacco for latakia smokers wanting to branch off into VA's . I like to cut this one into cubes with scissors . Tasty !