Ruby red and mahogany Virginas, rich black Cavendish, and a bit of Burley and fire-cured leaf are combined to form the base of this Borkum Riff's 2013 limited-edition blend, finished off with a topping of Trinidad rum and fruit flavors.

BrandBorkum Riff
Blended ByST Group
FlavoringAlcohol / Liquor, Mango, Rum
CutMixture
Packaging100 gr tin
Strength
Taste
2.4

The Virginias are sweet and tangy while the burley has a mild molasses and nutty hit. The black cavendish offers a richness of vanilla. The rum is rich and lightly spicy, and the additional fruit toppings are very tasty. This is one of the best BR blends I've ever smoked as of this date, so why do I give it only two stars? It's because of the inherent tongue bite. I am a slow puffer and rarely have that problem, but the black cavendish and, I suppose, the way BR products are usually produced, are close to giving me that ol' bite that this company's blends always do. Sipped slow and carefully, you can avoid the bite as I am doing when I smoke it. If you're a fast or even moderate puffer, expect the bite. Deserves two and a half stars, but not quite three because you have to work to sip it if you want to enjoy it, and as it takes that kind of effort, I can't award a full third star. However, if you take my advice, you'll probably enjoy the flavor.

Ser Jacopo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ser Jacopo (3)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Very good smoking tobacco. Good character, not to strong blended with the Trinidad Rum flavour. Very cool smoking. easy to fill (because of the handrubbed flake parts). I've got it in the 100 gram thin, so it was good to store more than 1 month while smoking.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Christmaspipe 2000, Petersons

Age When Smoked: 1 week

Purchased From: Ciga Leerdam Netherlands

Thepipesmokingswissphotographer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thepipesmokingswissphotographer (2)

Intro: Well- there are good and really bad blend from Borkum Riff... Its a really classy Brand, well renowend in switzerland and other european countries. The last time i smoked BR Bourbon Whiskey it was terrible. Gasstation Tobacco. But I was drunken and full satisfied from single malt, I decided to buy a tin of Borkum Riff Limited Edition 2013, No 11 Trinidad Rum. Tin: Opening the tin, a flush of fruitiness and rum notes hit your nose. Bright golden and orange virginias meet dark an elegant black cavendish. Well blended. 1st third: two matches are needed, almost three to char the surface. Then, fine fruity and boozy aromas walk your throat. I had terrible tongue bite while smoking BR Bourbon Whiskey, but this time its very pleasant. You can enjoy a full flavour smoke who's covering your mouth and throat, remembering your last holidays in Aruba or Curaçao or the Philippines. The rum. 2nd third: After the Rum said goodbye, there are still the VA's and Cavendish. The Mango also had to go- unfortunately. But with the two ingredients left, you might also have fun. They are, like mostly, two good friends- with fruity hints- at least. Last third: There its always fruity- whoohoo! But the more and more flat in taste and boring. While watchin' the same flat tv show 'the bachelor' its ok ;-). Résumé: Ok. Well. Its a good baccy! 100 grams are much, but for 25.50CHF / Swiss Francs its ok. Allday Smoke trough and trough. As a english lover, i like this aromatic. Ground solid. Give it a try! Sincerely yours, Emanuel P. Freudiger

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bamboo, Ermuri De Luxe Bent

Purchased From: La Corona Uster , http://www.lacorona.ch/LaCorona_Vollbild.aspx?ID_Kategorie=f17a1c0c-efbc-4eee-b63d

Similar Blends: Other alcohol based, fruity blends, like: Petersons Summertime, Nappa Valley, WØ Larsens Avalon.

panduji68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
panduji68 (26)

I received a can of this as a sample in an order of tobacco that I had placed online. I must admit I was skeptical to even place it in one of my pipes due to my past experiences with Borkum Riff (Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey being the worst of the lot, and quite possibly the worst tobacco I have ever smoked). Amazingly enough, This offering from Borkum Riff was not half bad. There was some tobacco flavor present, although it does bite my tongue slightly. The room note was quite nice, and the added toppings on this blend do not completely mask the tobacco flavor. This is definitely the best Borkum Riff offering I have smoked, but it still falls short of what I consider a quality tobacco. Not bad, but wouldn't order any more of it.

Pipe Used: Savinelli 601 briar

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (21)

This would be my favorite tobacco if it wasn't for one fact: It's nearly unsmokeable. Price is awesome, $9 for 100g. Tin note is one of the best, rum and carribean fruit. The perfect amount of casing is added to the leaf to get you the flavors of the Virginias with the casing. I like to pop the top a couple times a week just for the tin note alone. You get all exited, get a bowl packed and a good burn going and then it hits you. Yep, there's the Borkum Riff. Your tongue feels like it's walking over a bed of hot coals. That's fine you say, This stuff tastes awesome, I'll sip on it and get through, you say. Out of sheer willpower you finish the bowl but your mouth has that old familiar Borkum Riff heat rash. Ah well, you should have guessed.

Pipe Used: cob, MMhardwood